Author Topic: Darren Moore  (Read 844353 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Darren Moore
« Reply #2475 on: January 02, 2019, 11:26:45 AM »
I think its worth saying that DM will be getting advised by the physios who can play / when / how long. He has to balance this with getting his best team on the pitch.
If he had a squad of capable young chaps then the problem would be less difficult than the crop of geriatrics he has to choose from. We are struggling to understand the reluctance to use the kids who are inexperienced (thats likely why he's reluctant), the big issue is we have so little of the in between bracket (22-28 year olds).

DM is trying to maintain a balance thats difficult and doing OK, cut him some slack.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2476 on: January 02, 2019, 01:04:30 PM »
I think there are a lot of misconceptions around our club at present, in that:

We have the best squad in the league. We simply do not. We have too many ageing players who are past their best, or younger ones who are simply over-rated

We have a crop of super youngsters that are being ignored. We simply do not. The likes of Edwards and Harper have done nothing to suggest they are at this level and, if anything, Leko has proved he probably is not. Burke is a complete enigma, but, again, has done nothing to suggest he could contribute anything significant. Only Field can feel genuinely aggrieved at his lack of opportunity as he has done little wrong when given a chance.

We are financially superior to our competitors. Whilst true, to a degree, as long as Jenkins is in charge our purse strings will be tight.

Considering all of the above, I think Moore is doing a very decent job and to anyone who suggests a different manager would be winning the league at a cantor, my question would be who, and how?
There are more experienced and higher profile managers, working with similar squads and similar budgets, below us in the table and I fail to see what anyone could do differently with this squad.

This is an extremely good post and I agree almost entirely with it. I have just highlighted the comment about Field. He is a local lad who is proud to wear the shirt. However, I have yet to be impressed by him and, in my opinion, his lack of pace alone means he will never become a top player. I think Darren is doing an extremely good job.

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2477 on: January 02, 2019, 01:26:45 PM »
Getting anything at Blackburn was going to be very difficult,even if Gayle and Hegazi were fit,this should have been the rest the players game,not Sheffield Wednesday at home,it is these stupid decisions that is costing us

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2478 on: January 02, 2019, 01:28:27 PM »
Why will we probably get nothing there?
that's exactly what I said in my post,and we were both right

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2479 on: January 02, 2019, 03:24:13 PM »
I have to say  I'm a bit shocked by the amount of stick Moore gets every sticky result we have , some of it is way over the top IMO especially the dreaded social media sites.
The club itself has been run like an absolute shambles the last 18 months which for me ended up with cut backs and Summer training camps involving a few first teamers , loads of kids and three or four trialists well past their sell by dates . To add to that we've had to boost the squad after that deadline with Mears , Wes and Sako .
Two of those are well into their 30's and the other had a career threatening injury , what other team aiming for promotion has to do that ? . I can only hope better quality comes in this next month.
Don't get me wrong , Moore has made mistakes like every novice will and not bringing Sako or Harper on at Rotherham stood out much like the Jones lead 3 at the back which I hope never returns .
Given the mess we were in in my view he's done well , not perfect by any means but not worth some of the stick flying around at times in my humble .
Just to add I understand the frustration with the kids but frankly I don't think some are up to it now and if the club hadn't got in such a tangle then some of them like Field and Harper should have been sent out on loan . I blame the club for that and the silly EFL rule about loans and the window , not Moore .
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 03:31:44 PM by Dexy »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2480 on: January 02, 2019, 03:33:37 PM »
I have to say  I'm a bit shocked by the amount of stick Moore gets every sticky result we have , some of it is way over the top IMO especially the dreaded social media sites.
The club itself has been run like an absolute shambles the last 18 months which for me ended up with cut backs and Summer training camps involving a few first teamers , loads of kids and three or four trialists well past their sell by dates . To add to that we've had to boost the squad after that deadline with Mears , Wes and Sako .
Two of those are well into their 30's and the other had a career threatening injury , what other team aiming for promotion has to do that ? . I can only hope better quality comes in this next month.
Don't get me wrong , Moore has made mistakes like every novice will and not bringing Sako or Harper on at Rotherham stood out much like the Jones lead 3 at the back which I hope never returns .
Given the mess we were in in my view he's done well , not perfect by any means but not worth some of the stick flying around at times in my humble .

Spot on mate.

For me its plain to see Sako, Wes and Mears were signed as squad fillers as he had probably missed out/been let down on his priority targets.

You only have to look at his signings to date to know that the 3 above don't fit in that mould (add to that they have hardly featured, Mears has featured the most due to being the only option).

Look at Gayle, Barnes, Townsend, Tosin, Johnstone, Holgate - all of those are the right side of 30, with majority of them being young players who have got a bright future.

Also look at the other targets he went for, Bobby Reid - again young and hungry. Its  clear to see what type of player he wanted to bring in.

The mess this club was in and the amount of work DM would have had to take on, on top of this being his first crack at management and the lack of an assistant for the summer, he deserves a lot more credit for the position we now find ourselves in.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2481 on: January 02, 2019, 03:40:36 PM »

Spot on mate.

For me its plain to see Sako, Wes and Mears were signed as squad fillers as he had probably missed out/been let down on his priority targets.

You only have to look at his signings to date to know that the 3 above don't fit in that mould (add to that they have hardly featured, Mears has featured the most due to being the only option).

Look at Gayle, Barnes, Townsend, Tosin, Johnstone, Holgate - all of those are the right side of 30, with majority of them being young players who have got a bright future.

Also look at the other targets he went for, Bobby Reid - again young and hungry. Its  clear to see what type of player he wanted to bring in.

The mess this club was in and the amount of work DM would have had to take on, on top of this being his first crack at management and the lack of an assistant for the summer, he deserves a lot more credit for the position we now find ourselves in.
Agreed , the only one I'd flag up is Bartley so far but he was never suited to a three and I've seen him play well enough in a four elsewhere .
This was his first Xmas as a manager in a league where the games come thick and fast with an ageing squad and very little quality outside the first 11 to 13 players , he needs backing from the board and help from Dowling if we want to go up .

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2482 on: January 02, 2019, 03:50:04 PM »
Agreed , the only one I'd flag up is Bartley so far but he was never suited to a three and I've seen him play well enough in a four elsewhere .
This was his first Xmas as a manager in a league where the games come thick and fast with an ageing squad and very little quality outside the first 11 to 13 players , he needs backing from the board and help from Dowling if we want to go up .

I knew I had forgot someone. Even when we signed Bartley, myself like many others would have said it was a solid signing, on paper it was an experienced centre back with knowledge of the league and Leeds wanted to keep him.

I think the back 3 formation has killed his confidence, but that's for another thread.

Like you said, lets just hope he gets a bit more backing from the board this window.

Xpresso

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2483 on: January 02, 2019, 04:00:41 PM »
He’s naturally right footed and not happy playing on the left. The transition isn’t easy when you’ve played on the right all your career. Having said that, he does look slow at times and for a man his size easily knocked off the ball

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2484 on: January 02, 2019, 04:36:43 PM »
1) No one adequately answered why selection mistakes have been this bad.  I listed respective gametime afforded to each player.
2) No one has justified that the squads of the Top 3 are superior to ours.
3) We are operating at a huge financial advantage thanks to £100m prize money for being in the Prem.

Why should we settle for scraping the play offs.  Talk about a lack of confidence and ambition.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2485 on: January 02, 2019, 04:39:46 PM »
He’s naturally right footed and not happy playing on the left. The transition isn’t easy when you’ve played on the right all your career. Having said that, he does look slow at times and for a man his size easily knocked off the ball

I keep reading this but he played the majority of games during his time at Leeds on the left of a central two alongside Pontus Jansson.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2486 on: January 02, 2019, 04:55:03 PM »
I keep reading this but he played the majority of games during his time at Leeds on the left of a central two alongside Pontus Jansson.

He's woeful end of. Worse than the likes of Raven and Strodder.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2487 on: January 02, 2019, 05:14:25 PM »

I wish the best for any Albion player and always hope to see improvement over time. That said I'm really not a fan of his either. Despite the odd moment in games nothing's changed for me on that score from the moment I watched him against Aberdeen. I've never really thought of him in comparison to Raven and Strodder before. Frightening :-X .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2488 on: January 02, 2019, 05:17:07 PM »

But not as bad as Stacey North :P

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2489 on: January 02, 2019, 06:25:47 PM »
I think he's overused Barnes, he should have been given a game off over Xmas he's looking jaded.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2490 on: January 02, 2019, 06:54:59 PM »
I think he's overused Barnes, he should have been given a game off over Xmas he's looking jaded.
Over used? He's a young lad who should be fit enough to play at least 3 times a week.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 07:29:00 PM by Dexy »

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2491 on: January 02, 2019, 09:19:18 PM »
Over used? He's a young lad who should be fit enough to play at least 3 times a week.
He is fit enough to play 3 games a week....but don't expect him to be sharp all that time and to stay sharp through the season. There's a longer term mental side to things and playing at a high level the recovery/preparation time between games is very important.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2492 on: January 02, 2019, 10:25:44 PM »
He is fit enough to play 3 games a week....but don't expect him to be sharp all that time and to stay sharp through the season. There's a longer term mental side to things and playing at a high level the recovery/preparation time between games is very important.
I agree, physically fit enough yes, and I'm sure he'll tell Moore he's up for it, but that's not all there is to it

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2493 on: January 03, 2019, 12:17:56 AM »
1) No one adequately answered why selection mistakes have been this bad.  I listed respective gametime afforded to each player.
2) No one has justified that the squads of the Top 3 are superior to ours.
3) We are operating at a huge financial advantage thanks to £100m prize money for being in the Prem.

Why should we settle for scraping the play offs.  Talk about a lack of confidence and ambition.

Spot on. Overall his team selection has been poor, his substitutions have been awful. We've played somwhere between poor and mediocre in most games, good in 4 or 5. The fact that we're still well-placed for promotion shows 2 things, the lack of any standout teams in the league and the quality we have in certain areas that the majority of teams haven't got access to.

I was expecting us to fight for 2nd at the start of the season, but because Stoke appointed one of the worst managers they could have gone for, we should have had a clear run at the title. Overall, I'd say we're slightly underachieving this season. 

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2494 on: January 03, 2019, 12:28:55 AM »
Spot on. Overall his team selection has been poor, his substitutions have been awful. We've played somwhere between poor and mediocre in most games, good in 4 or 5. The fact that we're still well-placed for promotion shows 2 things, the lack of any standout teams in the league and the quality we have in certain areas that the majority of teams haven't got access to.

I was expecting us to fight for 2nd at the start of the season, but because Stoke appointed one of the worst managers they could have gone for, we should have had a clear run at the title. Overall, I'd say we're slightly underachieving this season.
agree with your post, we should be peeing this league as the football is tripe. Moore has produced one good performance against Leeds where team has played to its potential, but his inability to sort out his defence and his insistence on using Brunt in midfield for so long was infuriating.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2495 on: January 03, 2019, 12:57:42 PM »
It would appear that the standpoint on whether Darren Moore is doing well, indifferent or poor this year depends very much on interpretation of the quality of squad we have. 

Those who think we have by far the best squad in the division full of seven or eight Premier League quality players who would walk into any team in the Division understandably think we should be walking away with the league and anything but Top Two would be a disappointment.

Others (including myself) recognise that the majority of these players were the ones relegated, which puts a question mark against that quality.  They also recognise that a good squad is all about balance and requires energy and pace as well as experience.  They have also watched a number of these players over a period of years now and made up their own minds on the relative quality on display.

I agree that missing out on promotion this year would be disappointing, but i think we are at least three (if Holgate comes off) or four players short of being good enough to pull away top two.  And i don't think the missing players need necessarily be Premier League standard, but more so in the 23-28 bracket with legs, pace hunger and an attacking instinct.  Unfortunately i don't see these players arriving in January as the market offers no value*, so promotion will be as much a lottery for us as other teams around the top 6 based on injuries and suspensions to our best players (Gayle and Phillips particularly). 

*The other argument is that we should be top two based on our financial clout.  I think it has been made clear that we have spend what we earned from our time in the Premier League (£200k + per week for Sturridge and the Pole) and we have no more clout than other clubs around the top 10 that do get bankrolled.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2496 on: January 03, 2019, 01:08:33 PM »
It would appear that the standpoint on whether Darren Moore is doing well, indifferent or poor this year depends very much on interpretation of the quality of squad we have. 

Those who think we have by far the best squad in the division full of seven or eight Premier League quality players who would walk into any team in the Division understandably think we should be walking away with the league and anything but Top Two would be a disappointment.

Others (including myself) recognise that the majority of these players were the ones relegated, which puts a question mark against that quality.  They also recognise that a good squad is all about balance and requires energy and pace as well as experience.  They have also watched a number of these players over a period of years now and made up their own minds on the relative quality on display.

I agree that missing out on promotion this year would be disappointing, but i think we are at least three (if Holgate comes off) or four players short of being good enough to pull away top two.  And i don't think the missing players need necessarily be Premier League standard, but more so in the 23-28 bracket with legs, pace hunger and an attacking instinct.  Unfortunately i don't see these players arriving in January as the market offers no value*, so promotion will be as much a lottery for us as other teams around the top 6 based on injuries and suspensions to our best players (Gayle and Phillips particularly). 

*The other argument is that we should be top two based on our financial clout.  I think it has been made clear that we have spend what we earned from our time in the Premier League (£200k + per week for Sturridge and the Pole) and we have no more clout than other clubs around the top 10 that do get bankrolled.

Hegazi, Gibbs, Barry, Phillips, Barnes and Gayle are massive for us. If we lose even one we get affected. Anyone else we can sort of bodge around, those six are real, genuine Premier League quality and they carry us to a huge extent. Some will disagree on Gayle but he's never played in a front foot Premier League team that compliments him.

Then, outside the (first choice) first eleven the bench is average even by Championship standards. The likes of Mears / Hoolahan / Bartley / Sako / Burke / Robson - Kanu are a huge downgrade and shouldn't be at the club if we expect to be genuine Premier League material. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 01:15:39 PM by Atomic »

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2497 on: January 03, 2019, 01:44:27 PM »

I think we have the best first XI in the division: 4-3-3 lining up with Jonhstone, Holgate, Gibbs, Dawson, Hegazi, Livermore, Barry, Philips, Barnes, Rodriguez, Gayle. Our bench is limited though, and it is this that needs reinforcing in the window. We need another defender (probably a RB) and a couple of energetic, attack minded midfielders to give us options off the bench/cover for injuries. If we can do that by the end of January, let Mears and Hoolahan go while perhaps loaning out Burke and Field at the same time, we will be in great shape to go for a top 2 finish.

I think DM has done a fantastic job and we are superbly placed for the run in, but his success so far for me means the goalposts for the rest of the season have now changed. If we keep the first XI fit from here on in I expect a 2 point per game average, perhaps even slightly better and that should see us finish in the top 2.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2498 on: January 03, 2019, 02:01:26 PM »

If we mark it on squads then hes doing a great job in my opinion. Whilst we have a handful of players who could play in the premier league, we also have a handful of championship players.

I would say Stoke and Villa arguably have better squads, with the likes of Boro being on a par with us.

Stoke were many pundits favourites to run away with this league, and Rowett was a manager a fair few baggies fans wanted, we are doing much better than them.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2499 on: January 03, 2019, 02:03:55 PM »
I get the youth issue some have with Moore as there's nothing better than one of your own even if our last turned into a spoilt brat . While I'd love to see some come through I do understand its Moore job on the line , this could be his one go at a decent job let alone a lower league gig .Thats the harsh reality and I think one reason he sticks with the tried and tested , I'm pretty sure if he'd had a better squad in the Summer our better hopes would have been out on loan.