Author Topic: What happens if we stay down  (Read 20523 times)

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

What happens if we stay down
« on: May 11, 2019, 11:08:22 PM »
Sorry for the negativity but I'm so down hearted after today's result and I can't see J Rod getting us the goals necessary to do the job. I've been very fortunate as a Albion fan everytime we have been relegated in my time we bounced straight back. So I'm wondering what can we expect to happen in the summer should we stay down? Obviously we will lose alot of players but in that case what players do we then attract? Would we be looking at s**t from league one?

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

Re: What happens if we stay down
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 11:13:16 PM »
Sorry for the negativity but I'm so down hearted after today's result and I can't see J Rod getting us the goals necessary to do the job. I've been very fortunate as a Albion fan everytime we have been relegated in my time we bounced straight back. So I'm wondering what can we expect to happen in the summer should we stay down? Obviously we will lose alot of players but in that case what players do we then attract? Would we be looking at s**t from league one?
we need a clear out last summer but Jenkins and Moore wanted to keep core squad from Premier league and then bring in a few senior pros so God knows what will happen this summer.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 11:16:43 PM »
It's a double edged sword for me. We go up we aren't ready and Jenkins won't spend. Or we stay down lose players who we should of ditched in the summer but knowing us we won't replace them with any quality. This summer is where we need to dip into foreign markets.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 11:25:40 PM »
We’ll all go to The Winchester and wait for it all to blow over.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 11:29:14 PM »
We sadly get the clearout a lot of fans wanted without going up so we will be looking at the stars of league 1 and 2 ala Conor Townsend. Going forward i can only hope we remain the Championship for the next 5 years and not go lower.

This year has been my least favourite year as an Albion fan. Jenkins and Co i despise you.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 12:50:43 AM by gazberg »

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 11:38:40 PM »
We sadly get the clearout a lot of fans wanted without going up so we will be looking at the stars or league 1 and 2 ala Conor Townsend. Going forward i can only hope we remain the Championship for the next 5 years and not go lower.

This year has been my least favourite year as an Albion fan. Jenkins and Co i despise you.

Totally understand your feelings. I've actually decided to stop giving the club any money while Jenkins is around. I won't buy a season ticket,Replica shirt,Single match day ticket not a thing until that man is out the club. For me this summer he should pay with his job but I can only assume that Lai is happy with how water tight he runs the club. If the likes of Townsend is what we will be targeting then we won't be pushing for promotion anytime soon. People can call me fickle and a poor fan straight away but why should I pay my hard earned money to go into that blokes pocket only for him to not show any ambition and run the club in such a poor disgusting manner.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 12:52:45 AM »
Baggie 38 spot on. I thought i was being a bit harsh but i 'm glad to see i'm not alone. I flat out refuse to give the club anymore money while Jenkins is, essentially, in charge. Any money given to the club in my mind is a vote of support and validation for these clowns ruining my club and i will not take part in it.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 06:08:04 AM »
I've just been having a little think as to who could leave should we stay down correct me if you disagree but I think the following will leave

All loanees (Gayle included)
Hegazi
Dawson
Gibbs
Phillips
Livermore
Morrison
Barry
Harper
Rodriguez
Which would basically leave us with the likes of Johnstone,Bartley,Townsend,Edwards,Field and HRK  :'(
And alot of players to bring in with a mega tight CEO at the helm running things. God help us let's just pray that we can turn it around Tuesday

kie the baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 06:17:01 AM »
More games
More fun
Cheaper tickets
More goals
Hopefully more wins

Bad thing is we need the money

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 06:29:10 AM »
All I want is for the club to show a little ambition.
Not too worried about the Prem, apart from the money, but lets get a squad together that want to play attacking football and have a proper go at a cup instead of cup games being used to give the stiffs a day out.
We need a manager similar to when we had Mowbray.
Come back Tone all is forgiven!
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 06:55:00 AM »
All I want is for the club to show a little ambition.
Not too worried about the Prem, apart from the money, but lets get a squad together that want to play attacking football and have a proper go at a cup instead of cup games being used to give the stiffs a day out.
We need a manager similar to when we had Mowbray.
Come back Tone all is forgiven!

What I'd give to have Mowbray back. That bloke knew how to get a team playing and how to shop in the foreign market (with the help of Dan Ashworth) who would honestly of thought of shopping in the Norwegian league like we did for Robert Koren? Brilliant times.

Albertbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2019, 08:06:32 AM »
What I'd give to have Mowbray back. That bloke knew how to get a team playing and how to shop in the foreign market (with the help of Dan Ashworth) who would honestly of thought of shopping in the Norwegian league like we did for Robert Koren? Brilliant times.
And Norwich have shown again this season how effective shopping abroad can be

Albertbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2019, 08:09:55 AM »
I've just been having a little think as to who could leave should we stay down correct me if you disagree but I think the following will leave

Hegazi
Dawson
Gibbs
Phillips
Livermore
Morrison
Barry
Harper
Rodriguez
Which would basically leave us with the likes of Johnstone,Bartley,Townsend,Edwards,Field and HRK  :'(
And alot of players to bring in with a mega tight CEO at the helm running things. God help us let's just pray that we can turn it around Tuesday
It's frightening isn't it? I'd had similar conversations with people. We are in a terrible mess in terms of this squad. It's going to be a long rebuilding process which I'd accept if I had any faith in the powers that be but I don't.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2019, 08:51:27 AM »
If we stay down, I can see a Jenkins statement coming out mentioning 'cutting cloth', flourishing youngsters, going again, no stone unturned, Lai fully committed' blah blah blah........

The reality will be a complete overhaul , massive cost cutting with our current coaching set up remaining and lots of players signed on very cheap wages plus loans.

Go on surprise me!

By the way , if we go up, I think the same would happen but at least Lai might sell so we can have a new owner.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2019, 08:52:46 AM »
An equally relevant question is what happens if we go up?

The squad is no more fit for purpose than if we stay in the Championship. The only difference is we have money and with money we can make some bad contract decisions that won't happen in the Championship simply because there is a need to ship some of the wages off the books. Equally if you have issues with some of our players at Championship level those issues multiply in the Premier League and those same players are still contracted to us and it is unlikely that some won't feature in the squad if we were promoted.

The squad has required an major overhaul for 4 or 5 seasons and this summer is when all the chickens come home to roost regardless of which division we find ourselves in. 

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2019, 08:57:57 AM »

The squad is no more fit for purpose than if we stay in the Championship. The only difference is we have money and with money we can make some bad contract decisions that won't happen in the Championship simply because there is a need to ship some of the wages off the books. Equally if you have issues with some of our players at Championship level those issues multiply in the Premier League and those same players are still contracted to us and it is unlikely that some won't feature in the squad if we were promoted.

The squad has required an major overhaul for 4 or 5 seasons and this summer is when all the chickens come home to roost regardless of which division we find ourselves in.

Good post. As i said in a previous post it's a double edged sword. We aren't good enough to go up but I'm terrified of what will happen if we stay down.

BAGGIES4LIFE

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2019, 09:01:43 AM »

Hegazi
Dawson
Gibbs
Phillips
Livermore
Morrison
Barry
Harper
Rodriguez

Plus Rondon and Burke of course.
If all these leave the club we should bring in something approaching 100 million pounds. If just half of that is used to buy good foreign or championship players plus our talented youngsters perhaps the future isn’t too gloomy. The right appointment of a manager is a must, I would like Potter. This close season is so vital for the clubs future.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2019, 09:06:41 AM »
If all these leave the club we should bring in something approaching 100 million pounds. If just half of that is used to buy good foreign or championship players plus our talented youngsters perhaps the future isn’t too gloomy. The right appointment of a manager is a must, I would like Potter. This close season is so vital for the clubs future.

We won't spend anywhere near half of that money with Jenkins there. I'd go for Potter or Monk. By the way does anybody think that anybody on the list I've put for leaving could spring a surprise and stay? Personally I think the ones more likely to stay on that list is Livermore and Philips

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2019, 09:08:22 AM »

There is no way we will receive anything like 100 Million
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2019, 09:33:44 AM »
I've thought for most of the season we weren't good enough to go up and recruitment generally with loanees, old experienced pro's and a few kids isn't a great footing for if we did progress, for without serious investment we'd probably be whipping boys. Remember we've lost something like a quarter of the games even in this league.
Recruitment has to be better, which is why I think we need to change and rebuild. Norwich got Pukki on a free or minimal payment, Sheff Utd are a workmanlike team without any real stars, Huddersfield got up, so I think it can be done. The Championship is unforgiving, you only have to look at the sides in the division who have been there for a few years, Forest, Leeds, Sheff Weds, Blackburn etc we have to hope we don't do a Sunderland
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2019, 09:51:51 AM »
If we stay down :

Positives :

Kids will have to be given opportunity to develop

Negatives :

A statement saying we have no money and have to cut our cloth
Appleton in charge ( joy of joys )
Free signings as we will be balancing books
A battle to stay in the division

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2019, 10:00:25 AM »
If we stay down we have to do the rebuild that should have started last summer.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2019, 10:02:18 AM »
If we stay down, we'll be looking to sell some, keep some and bring in a load of loans

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2019, 10:03:52 AM »

But, as you say, you have money.  You can also make good decisions and sign quality players. 

I agree it would be a large rebuild either way, but I would much rather do that in the Prem with cash, than in the Championship with dwindling income and a tight chairman. 

If we did go up I would see us being back to the yoyo years for a while.  A gradual improvement until we get a bit of a foothold.  It's the only way to do it unless your chairman spends a LOT of money and that's never going to happen.

Just hope that if we stay down and end up struggling those fans who wanted "anyone but Pulis" will be happy.

Manc Baggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2019, 10:22:07 AM »

God knows what will happen to us next season assuming we are still in the championship, but I fear a financial crisis whatever division we are in.
 We will no doubt be forced to sell players if we are still in the championship & I fear we will not invest in some badly needed fresh quality players if we were by some miracle to get into the prem.
I read somewhere recently (possibly in the E&S?) that the owner will look to sell if we get promoted, so if that's true, he won't be looking to spend any money on the squad.
Interesting & troubling times ahead methinks.