Author Topic: Is it better if we stay down another season?  (Read 16311 times)

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

Re: Is it better if we stay down another season?
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2019, 01:31:57 PM »
The lower leagues are stuffed full of clubs like ours...long illustrious histories and proud heritage etc etc. I cant help thinking a lot of our fans are a bit arrogant to think "we have the best squad and should easily achieve promotion this season".

Sick of hearing it, most of our players are bloody useless at playing football and our tactics are abysmal. Its only thanks to Harvey Barnes we are in this league position now with a chance of the play-offs.

Massive changes from the top down needed...otherwise we're just another Sheffield Wednesday, Villa, Sunderland etc etc......

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2019, 01:55:21 PM »
The lower leagues are stuffed full of clubs like ours...long illustrious histories and proud heritage etc etc. I cant help thinking a lot of our fans are a bit arrogant to think "we have the best squad and should easily achieve promotion this season".

Sick of hearing it, most of our players are bloody useless at playing football and our tactics are abysmal. Its only thanks to Harvey Barnes we are in this league position now with a chance of the play-offs.

Massive changes from the top down needed...otherwise we're just another Sheffield Wednesday, Villa, Sunderland etc etc......

At no point have I, nor any other fan said "we should easily achieve promotion this season." We all knew it was going to be tough.

There is a difference between saying "we should walk the league" and "we have the best squad". We do have the best squad in this league. How many other teams have players who have won the PL or played for their country? And most of our squad has recent PL experience. How many other teams have that?

Most of our players could get into any other team. Yet when I look at other teams, there may be one or two players who I would take, but not the majority of a team.

What fans are trying to say is that with the abundance of talent we have at our disposal, we should be performing at a higher level. But the big thing we keep coming back to is the poor leadership, poor team selection and poor tactics.

If Ronaldo was mismanaged, he would not shine as he does. If he was played out of position or given tactics that don't suit his style he wouldn't achieve. Good players aren't just good where ever you play them. They need to be motivated, coached well and guided. Our players are not receiving the right guidance.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2019, 02:07:11 PM »
If we go up we will keep the team we have now if we stay down it’s a huge rebuild job in the summer

Gibbs, Dawson, Hegazi, Livermore , Phillips , Rondon and Rodriguez will go for a lot of money

Mears, Hoolahan, Morrison , Brunt, Barry , Harper and Myhill out of contract

Tosin , Gayle , Holgate , Montero , Murphy and Johansen all returning to their clubs

That’s 20 players potentially all leaving.

Leaves us with Johnstone, Bond, Bartley , field , robson Kanu , Leko and Townsend. 7 players

If we don’t go up this year it’s going to be a long stay in the championship
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 02:08:46 PM by wbarenno »

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2019, 02:09:59 PM »
If we go up we will keep the team we have now if we stay down it’s a huge rebuild job in the summer

Gibbs, Dawson, Hegazi, Livermore , Phillips , Rondon and Rodriguez will go for a lot of money

Tosin , Gayle , Holgate , Montero , Murphy and Johansen all returning to their clubs

Leaves us with Johnstone, Bond, Bartley , field , robson Kanu , Leko and Townsend. 7 players

Morrison has 12 month option in his favour so he will be here I guess, Brunt will get a new deal also
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2019, 02:24:37 PM »
Yes i would gladly stay down this season, for selfish reasons i hope we do.

Regardless of what division in we are in next season the squad needs freshening up, all we will do if we go up is kick the can down the road for another season.

This group of players proved last season that they arent good enough for the premier league, this season they have had the chance to prove that last season was a one off and they are better than that, however at the time of writing they have failed with that.

Yet again when the big games have come and the pressure is on they have come up short, they did it numerous times last season (and prior to that) and as somebody said above, against the better teams, when it really mattered in the last month, when the pressure is on, we have shown yet again we are not good enough.

If we did go up (which i dont think we will anyway) it wont be because we are one of the best two teams in the league, it will be because we won the lottery over 3 other clubs via the playoffs, by going up it means the majority of this squad, will have another chance in the premier league which i personally dont feel they are good enough for.

This squad is getting worse and are quite old too, a number of our core players will be turning 30 over the next season or so. When you look at Norwich and Leeds, they have younger, hungry and energetic players, if they go up and struggle, they have years ahead of them to develop and go again, we dont have that luxury, this group of players that once was good enough for premier league football is coming to the end of their cycle and the last 2 years have shown that.

If we go up i would imagine Mr Lai's first thing will be to ring fence some of the £200m money we get so that if we went down again he still has a large sum of money put aside, when he brought us for £150m as a established premier league club i doubt he imagined a year later we would be relegated and he would of lost £75m worth of his investment.

So should we go up, i expect there will a big chunk of the funds put aside for him, these people are investors, in an ideal world they probably would like us to play good football, pack the ground out, become a brand in china (though the chinese approach to football has changed a lot the last two years) but there overall mentality will be (a) make sure they dont lose any more of the club value (b) ring fence funds to make sure they at least get back what put in and (c) try and see a return on their investment.

I would imagine if we went up we would probably keep the majority of players (a mistake as most are not good enough), break our transfer record for a player we know little about and we will gamble on to show supposed ambition but we will then fill the squad with a few seasoned pro's, on good money as they have the supposed experience to keep us in the premier league, should we then get relegated we are lumbered with those players on big wages and it becomes a repeat of last / this season.

I would much rather stay down, get rid of the vast majority of the squad, bring through and give a chance to the academy prospects who are so highly rated and bring in players from overseas and lower leagues, maybe players who had to step down and are ready to step up again, and use the funds we do have to add a couple of quality additions.

Of course we dont have Wolves resources and we wont get a Neves quality player, but their overall approach they signed younger hungry players who will develop and added quality around them for the championship, its what Norwich and Leeds approach has been too, smaller clubs such as Bristol City and Brentford have done it as well. (Sheffield Uniteds team and style has been built over years via a slight different route)

Norwich have yo-yo'd a lot over the past seasons, and last season they almost turned on Farke, however by being patient and supporting him, their fans are now looking forward to getting back to the premier league, they have a young, hungry and ambitious squad, they are looking forward to seeing what they can do at the top level with a new approach, rather than the previous one where they spent big, brought names and went round in a cycle and got bored of it, and that is what we i fear Albion will do should we go up, just more of the same.

You could see last night how much it means to Leeds fans to get back to the premier league, they have been out of it that long they cant wait to get back, as a fan i want that feeling again, that buzz of early 2000's, being desperate to see your team play the best, if we went up this season i just think this time next year we will be having the same conversations as now and this time last year.

The atmosphere at the games now is poor because there is a very little connection between the fans and players, our players have good past reputations but they are now on the wane but the expectancy is still there. Darren Moore has helped build bridges but there is still an under current there, its been like it from the first match of the season, a lot of these players reached their goal of premier league mediocrity and its got stale, some have been with us too long and are now failing and i think it would become poisnous very soon should we go back to the premier league, back to the grind and struggle.

I want us to stay down, rebuild, try a new approach and get that hope and enthusiasm back instead of just trying the route that was once trusted but is now failing, of course you run the risk of becoming a mid table championship club or worse but you also may have the chance to love football again, have that hope and excitement of what a new look team and approach could bring and to me that is the risk worth taking.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2019, 02:34:00 PM »
To be honest that is down to the owner. What are his ambitions for our club?. What happens at the end of the season regarding our loan players.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2019, 02:41:43 PM »
Morrison has 12 month option in his favour so he will be here I guess, Brunt will get a new deal also

Wasn’t that option brought into place the summer just gone

Morrison has been a disaster this season.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 02:43:35 PM by wbarenno »

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2019, 02:48:20 PM »
There's this question about whether it's appearance triggered or not which I still don't know the answer to. If it's not, how we agreed to that deal I'll never know.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2019, 03:03:38 PM »
Doesn't mention anything about appearances but as its in his favour i'd be surprised if it is appearance based, poor from whoever negotiated it at the club

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2018/august/morrison-commits-albion-future/

JAMES Morrison has agreed a new contract at The Hawthorns.

Our longest-serving player has put pen to paper on an initial one-year deal with a further 12 months' option in his favour.

'Mozza', who joined the Baggies in August 2007, has already secured his place in Albion folklore, scoring 39 goals during his 11 years and 317 appearances for the Club.

And he will don the blue-and-white stripes for at least another year as Darren Moore's men embark upon their quest for promotion to the Premier League - a feat James achieved in his debut season with the Club.

The 32-year-old midfielder netted six goals in 44 appearances in 2007/08 as Albion won the Sky Bet Championship and reached the FA Cup semi-finals under then-head coach Tony Mowbray.

Another promotion followed in 2009/10 - beginning an eight-season stretch in the top flight.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2019, 03:19:53 PM »
Bloody hell Oldbury, kick a man when he's down why don't you!
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2019, 03:33:09 PM »
This seems like one of those posts where reality has kicked in and we are now looking at putting a positive spin on it.

I’m not fussed staying down, proper league, proper fans, great memories in this league etc

Shame Wolves will probably ‘win’ the PL though. Take away the usual top 6 suspects and 7th is winner for me.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2019, 03:34:04 PM »

He's 38 and out of contract. Definitely one to release.

I agree with that, but so must Brunt and Morrison be released too. No pace, tired legs and well past their best. Barry has defied the hands of time for a dood chunk of the season but does suddenly appear to be struggling.

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2019, 04:00:40 PM »
Its more a question of if we go up; apart from the money; is there any point to it.
With this squad I would expect us to finish last in the division with less than 25 points. Instant relegation is a sure bet.

We have a team made up of loans and has beens at the end of their careers. There isn't enough money or willing players ready to sign with us that could rebuild this team for the EPL.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2019, 10:14:24 PM »
The first thing that I would like to point out there is zero chance of a change of ownership in the short term regardless of division.Even if there was I very much doubt if anyone is going to like any prospective new ownership because they are almost certainly not going to ride in with deep pockets and an open cheque book to fund your pipe dreams. If we can set that fantasy aside we can speculate on what might happen.

I don't think it makes much difference which division we are in. The problem of this squad is the same it is just the parameters of the problem that change. In the Premier League we have more money we may retain a few players that we might not otherwise, but the squad as a whole isn't any younger nor has it been assembled to play any particular way and it isn't good enough without significant reinforcement.

In the Championship we lose a few more players or rather we lose different players but the problem remains the same although maybe we could look to the academy for reinforcements a little bit more than if we were promoted. However the problem is as broad as it is long. Ultimately there is going to be a lot of turnover and that is both an opportunity and a challenge.

Premier League experience is a vastly overrated commodity. I think Gareth Barry has more Premier League apperances than the entire squads of Leeds, Norwich and Sheffield United combined (sorry I can't asked to fact check that but feel free to do the leg work). The question is what is it experience of? Barry is not a great example because of his career  with Man City but generally it is experience of losing. More accurately it is experience of grinding out 40 points a season being well rewarded and patted on the back for doing so. It means losing every crunch fixture where you as a player might achieve something other than mediocarity.

When was the last time that an Albion squad won a crunch fixture when something significant was on the line? In my view it was 2013/2014 away at Norwich. We have blown each and every oppportunity since.

Ultimately we need a fresh start which division that happens in is largely irrelevent.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2019, 10:22:44 PM »
Yes i would gladly stay down this season, for selfish reasons i hope we do.

Regardless of what division in we are in next season the squad needs freshening up, all we will do if we go up is kick the can down the road for another season.

This group of players proved last season that they arent good enough for the premier league, this season they have had the chance to prove that last season was a one off and they are better than that, however at the time of writing they have failed with that.

Yet again when the big games have come and the pressure is on they have come up short, they did it numerous times last season (and prior to that) and as somebody said above, against the better teams, when it really mattered in the last month, when the pressure is on, we have shown yet again we are not good enough.

If we did go up (which i dont think we will anyway) it wont be because we are one of the best two teams in the league, it will be because we won the lottery over 3 other clubs via the playoffs, by going up it means the majority of this squad, will have another chance in the premier league which i personally dont feel they are good enough for.

This squad is getting worse and are quite old too, a number of our core players will be turning 30 over the next season or so. When you look at Norwich and Leeds, they have younger, hungry and energetic players, if they go up and struggle, they have years ahead of them to develop and go again, we dont have that luxury, this group of players that once was good enough for premier league football is coming to the end of their cycle and the last 2 years have shown that.

If we go up i would imagine Mr Lai's first thing will be to ring fence some of the £200m money we get so that if we went down again he still has a large sum of money put aside, when he brought us for £150m as a established premier league club i doubt he imagined a year later we would be relegated and he would of lost £75m worth of his investment.

So should we go up, i expect there will a big chunk of the funds put aside for him, these people are investors, in an ideal world they probably would like us to play good football, pack the ground out, become a brand in china (though the chinese approach to football has changed a lot the last two years) but there overall mentality will be (a) make sure they dont lose any more of the club value (b) ring fence funds to make sure they at least get back what put in and (c) try and see a return on their investment.

I would imagine if we went up we would probably keep the majority of players (a mistake as most are not good enough), break our transfer record for a player we know little about and we will gamble on to show supposed ambition but we will then fill the squad with a few seasoned pro's, on good money as they have the supposed experience to keep us in the premier league, should we then get relegated we are lumbered with those players on big wages and it becomes a repeat of last / this season.

I would much rather stay down, get rid of the vast majority of the squad, bring through and give a chance to the academy prospects who are so highly rated and bring in players from overseas and lower leagues, maybe players who had to step down and are ready to step up again, and use the funds we do have to add a couple of quality additions.

Of course we dont have Wolves resources and we wont get a Neves quality player, but their overall approach they signed younger hungry players who will develop and added quality around them for the championship, its what Norwich and Leeds approach has been too, smaller clubs such as Bristol City and Brentford have done it as well. (Sheffield Uniteds team and style has been built over years via a slight different route)

Norwich have yo-yo'd a lot over the past seasons, and last season they almost turned on Farke, however by being patient and supporting him, their fans are now looking forward to getting back to the premier league, they have a young, hungry and ambitious squad, they are looking forward to seeing what they can do at the top level with a new approach, rather than the previous one where they spent big, brought names and went round in a cycle and got bored of it, and that is what we i fear Albion will do should we go up, just more of the same.

You could see last night how much it means to Leeds fans to get back to the premier league, they have been out of it that long they cant wait to get back, as a fan i want that feeling again, that buzz of early 2000's, being desperate to see your team play the best, if we went up this season i just think this time next year we will be having the same conversations as now and this time last year.

The atmosphere at the games now is poor because there is a very little connection between the fans and players, our players have good past reputations but they are now on the wane but the expectancy is still there. Darren Moore has helped build bridges but there is still an under current there, its been like it from the first match of the season, a lot of these players reached their goal of premier league mediocrity and its got stale, some have been with us too long and are now failing and i think it would become poisnous very soon should we go back to the premier league, back to the grind and struggle.

I want us to stay down, rebuild, try a new approach and get that hope and enthusiasm back instead of just trying the route that was once trusted but is now failing, of course you run the risk of becoming a mid table championship club or worse but you also may have the chance to love football again, have that hope and excitement of what a new look team and approach could bring and to me that is the risk worth taking.

One of the best posts I’ve seen on here for ages.  I agree with 99% of it.

My only difference is that I’d rather we went up now, offload the dead wood and still go with buying “young and hungry” players - players who would still be with us, with resale value, if we came straight back down.  I don’t fear reverting to being a “yo yo” club at all,  but I’d like to see a 5-year plan and if we spend 2 or 3 years of that period in the Championship then that’s fine by me.

If we go up then Lai doesn’t need to stay and try to strip the cash out (he can’t lawfully do that anyway until there are profits to distribute), but he’s far more likely to quickly sell the club and get most of his money back.

Looking at Leeds, Norwich, Sheffield United and Bristol City, lack of parachute money hasn’t stopped them building promotion-challenging teams, and whoever goes up would need to spend just as much as us if they were buying to try to ensure survival.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2019, 10:29:09 PM »
No. It's what the Albion are trying to do...Get back up, and we need to support our team.
They must play their part too.
Tactics need to be modified to suit the opposition.
When or if we get back into the greed league, we need to keep our best players and buy players to suit our system.
We will only get the better players we seek, if we are up there.
Ask yourselves..Would you go and work for a company which is struggling, or go and work for a company which is stable and looking to get the best workforce?
No contest.

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2019, 10:35:38 PM »
One of the best posts I’ve seen on here for ages.  I agree with 99% of it.

My only difference is that I’d rather we went up now, offload the dead wood and still go with buying “young and hungry” players - players who would still be with us, with resale value, if we came straight back down.  I don’t fear reverting to being a “yo yo” club at all,  but I’d like to see a 5-year plan and if we spend 2 or 3 years of that period in the Championship then that’s fine by me.

If we go up then Lai doesn’t need to stay and try to strip the cash out (he can’t lawfully do that anyway until there are profits to distribute), but he’s far more likely to quickly sell the club and get most of his money back.

Looking at Leeds, Norwich, Sheffield United and Bristol City, lack of parachute money hasn’t stopped them building promotion-challenging teams, and whoever goes up would need to spend just as much as us if they were buying to try to ensure survival.

This last bit is what I have been saying. Two of the top three have been down for years.lack of parachute payments have not bothered them.  Why are we so upset if this lot do not get us up, they failed before by bringing us down so why should we be surprised if they are mentally not up to it. I for one want us to build a team young and quick. It’s the man at the top that needs to be correct to do this. It’s time we had a rebuild from top to bottom. Staying down may be the best thing that ever happens to us. It’s just that we may have some short term pain like last night as we build, but done correctly and with this so called one of the best youth set ups in the country we will have our day again.

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2019, 08:54:51 AM »
If we were to achieve promotion and our esteemed owner spends big cash on Premier League quality players then fine. However, if our esteemed owner didn’t spend enough then we would be in the dreadful relegation dogfight again, just winning an occasional match; not much fun to watch. If we stay in the Championship then hopefully our esteemed owner might just cut his losses and do one; that in itself would be as good for the Club as winning the league! Whatever, another season in the Championship would give us more entertainment than suffering another relegation from the Premier League. So for me, not going up is my preferred option, although it saddens me to say it but that is reality.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2019, 11:02:05 AM »

I didn't see any evidence of this last summer, so why should it be any different this summer? Other clubs don't seem to share your opinion that these are all Premier League quality, Rondon notwithstanding. There was some talk of Burnley bidding for Dawson and Rodriguez but it never materialised and that was about it.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2019, 11:16:18 AM »
I didn't see any evidence of this last summer, so why should it be any different this summer? Other clubs don't seem to share your opinion that these are all Premier League quality, Rondon notwithstanding. There was some talk of Burnley bidding for Dawson and Rodriguez but it never materialised and that was about it.

Plus they would all be older and I would imagine interest and value would have dropped because they potentially weren’t good enough for promotion. I’d imagine Harper may already be worth more than any of the highlighted players.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 11:19:46 AM by frazzle »

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2019, 11:31:21 AM »

There was interest from Cardiff and at least one other in a Phillips, and also interest in Hegazi.

The club made it very clear that it didn’t want any of these players to be sold unless it was for fees that were too good to turn down. Enquiries will have received short shrift - as indeed was the case with Burnley.  Only Chadli, Foster and Evans got out, having made it clear that they wanted to go, and Evans had a £3m buyout clause.

Throstletown

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2019, 11:38:54 AM »
I think for us to gather a squad of young, pacey and skilful players we need to stay where we are, my logic is it has to be done on the cheap as we have no cash.
Players like Brunt, Morrison et al who some think have Premier qualities need to go and get that drain off the wage bill, going up would simply stagnate this cull as the tv money would cover the wages they simply don't deserve.
A major re build is well over due, at least 5 years ago would have been nice but our business model did and still has no ambition re solid investment in the playing style or buy good young players for the future maybe a few from abroad who are hungry rather than on their way out into retirement. its all about been survival at the minimum. The dogheads  I hate to acknowledge this changed their model, the investment and player recruitment and I hate going to work but all can see the benefits. 
Going up does not solve our fundamental problems all it does is prolongs a business model not an ambitous  footballing model 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 11:41:02 AM by Throstletown »

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2019, 02:39:40 PM »
Whatever happens this season - next year requires a major overhaul in playing squad - purely because we have been so short term in our vision this season

We hear a lot of the vision that Moore has to make a pathway for our academy products - should we fail to get promoted then I am excited to see an albion side supported with academy graduates and supplemented with other individuals who suit the style that Moore is trying to create.

Our playing squad is all over the shop and to be truthful - none of them suit any style. There are plodders, battle axes and very small doses of technical footballing ability.

I want us to set a vision - which at present is to play from the back. I want to see us signing players who are comfortable in possession, energetic and have good movement. At the moment we’re Changing a culture with players unable to cope with the transition to a possession based side because of our haphazard approach tonrecruitment

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2019, 02:58:56 PM »
Whatever happens this season - next year requires a major overhaul in playing squad - purely because we have been so short term in our vision this season

We hear a lot of the vision that Moore has to make a pathway for our academy products - should we fail to get promoted then I am excited to see an albion side supported with academy graduates and supplemented with other individuals who suit the style that Moore is trying to create.

Our playing squad is all over the shop and to be truthful - none of them suit any style. There are plodders, battle axes and very small doses of technical footballing ability.

I want us to set a vision - which at present is to play from the back. I want to see us signing players who are comfortable in possession, energetic and have good movement. At the moment we’re Changing a culture with players unable to cope with the transition to a possession based side because of our haphazard approach tonrecruitment

I want all that too, the problem is that takes time and money. Two commodities that are/will be in short supply
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2019, 03:53:22 PM »
Do you know what I've never thought of us not getting promotion.
But if we don't I'm not worried who leaves player wise,I want Dave to stay and make a team/ squad of all our younger players,I have confidence in their abilities.
Would be exciting though wouldn't it and what young players we have, no fear eh?