Author Topic: Under 23's / Academy Thread  (Read 640302 times)

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Under 23's / Academy Thread
« Reply #750 on: July 01, 2016, 01:28:52 PM »
http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/wba-goalkeeping-trio-sign-new-contracts-rose-ross-keranovic-3163120.aspx

Rose, Ross and Keranovic pen Hawthorns deals

YOUNG goalkeepers Jack Rose, Ethan Ross and Jasko Keranovic have all penned new professional contracts with Albion.

Rose, 21, named regularly as a Baggies substitute over the past 18 months, has signed a one-year deal at The Hawthorns.

The Club have also taken up a one-year option on 19-year-old Ross, who spent time on loan at Worcester City during the 2015/16 campaign.

Keranovic, 18, a Bosnia and Herzegovina youth international, has agreed a one-year deal with a further 12-month option in the Club’s favour.

Meanwhile, fellow young stopper Alex Palmer, who was on the bench for Albion’s 1-1 draw at Tottenham Hotspur in April, will enter the second season of his two-year deal upon his return to pre-season training.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #751 on: July 01, 2016, 09:21:19 PM »
http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/wba-professional-contracts-youngsters-albion-baggies-pro-deals-3164350.aspx

EIGHT more of Albion’s promising youngsters have penned new professional deals at The Hawthorns.

Tahvon Campbell, Andre Wright, Shaun Donnellan, Joe Ward and Jack Fitzwater, who all had spells away from the Baggies on loan during the 2015/16 campaign, have signed one-year contracts with a further 12-month option in the Club’s favour.

Kyle Edwards has also agreed a new 12-month deal with a further year option in the Club’s favour, while Dara O’Shea has committed himself to Albion by signing a two-year professional contract.

The Baggies have taken up the one-year option on Kyle Howkins’ deal.

Albion’s Under-21 squad in full for the 2016/17 season:

Ethan Ross

Jasko Keranovic

Alex Palmer

Danny Barbir

Tahvon Campbell

Shaun Donnellan

Kyle Edwards

Zack Elbouzedi

Sam Field

Jack Fitzwater

Kyle Howkins

Callam Jones

Jonathan Leko

Robbie McCourt

Callum Pritchatt

Tyler Roberts

Chay Scrivens

James Smith

Brad Sweeney

Joe Ward

Andre Wright

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #752 on: July 02, 2016, 12:58:47 AM »
If Field & Roberts can get 3+ games each this season that'll be good. Obviously a loan to Good League 1 or Championship club would be good also.

Leko i suspect will be a regular 1st team sub player (without wanting to put too much pressure on him)

If one of the others can come through, I'm especially thinking of Danny Barbir then that would be ace. A match day 18 by the end of the season that has 4 of our accademy players in can only be good for everyone (assuming they are good enough obviously)

Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #753 on: July 02, 2016, 08:23:54 AM »
great article as to what goes on at the academy.
http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/2/838066224?-11200:789:0

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #754 on: July 02, 2016, 11:38:03 AM »
great article as to what goes on at the academy.
http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/2/838066224?-11200:789:0

Placing players with similar attributes together seems quite similar to what Belgium did with their late developers programme.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/29908/10328356/kevin-de-bruyne-developed-late-but-would-england-have-the-patience

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #755 on: July 02, 2016, 11:41:41 AM »
Dara O'Shea must be highly thought of to get a 2 year pro deal aged 17 without having set foot in the 1st team squad.

Blandy

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #756 on: July 05, 2016, 01:52:45 PM »
You might be interested to know that the Academy 2005 Year Group (the younger U11s & the older U10s) have just finished 2nd out of 66 teams from a dozen different countries in a tournament in Monchengladbach over the weekend.

They lost to Borussia Dortmund in the final, their only loss in 13 games, having overcome Cologne, Stuttgart & Eintracht Frankfurt (on penalties) amongst others. Teams finishing below the Baggies include Liverpool (6th), Hertha Berlin, Celta Vigo, Sporting Lisbon, Hamburg & Besiktas.

Great experience for the lads, and to perform well in tournament football at that level in a foreign country speaks volumes for their character & ability.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #757 on: July 05, 2016, 05:20:30 PM »
The kids to watch are next year's under 16s who will be given scholarship about Xmas. They are the best year group in the country and if we can keep them, will really set the Albion up...
Even their weakest players who gt released, get snapped up by other academies.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #758 on: July 07, 2016, 02:14:55 PM »
I see we've earned a £1.5m bonus on Kemar Roofe being sold to Leeds.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #759 on: July 08, 2016, 12:38:26 AM »
Alex Palmer is having a trial with Hibernian in a friendly on Sunday with the prospect of a loan move.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #760 on: July 08, 2016, 04:12:37 PM »
http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/albion-west-brom-donnellan-palmer-stevenage-hibernian-3174273.aspx

Donnellan off to gain League experience

Promising defender Shaun Donnellan has secured more valuable first team experience with a half-season loan move to Stevenage.

The 19-year-old defender, who signed a new one-year deal with the Baggies this summer, will be at the League Two club until the turn of the year having spent much of the 2015-16 campaign on loan at Worcester City.

Head Coach Tony Pulis is keen for the Club to utilise the loan system in order for Albion's young players to gain as much experience as possible to bolster their first team prospects at The Hawthorns.

Meanwhile, Albion have agreed for 19-year-old keeper Alex Palmer to take part in a trial with Scottish Championship club Hibernian.

The youngster will be given a run-out against Motherwell in a pre-season friendly on Sunday.

He/him

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #761 on: July 12, 2016, 10:29:43 AM »
Can someone help me out?
Didn't we have a kid called Mo Sissoko a few years back in the Youth / Under 21 set up? I could swear we did but can find nowt on internet.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #762 on: July 12, 2016, 10:39:17 AM »
Can someone help me out?
Didn't we have a kid called Mo Sissoko a few years back in the Youth / Under 21 set up? I could swear we did but can find nowt on internet.

Mohammed Saied I think is the player you were thinking of??

Went back to Sweden after us and now plays for Columbus Crew in OOSA

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #763 on: July 12, 2016, 10:43:42 AM »
Can someone help me out?

We did indeed. Was highly rated but never managed to break through and moved on. Like most of our kids.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

saml30

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #764 on: July 12, 2016, 11:01:46 AM »
Can someone help me out?

Sure he ended up in Scotland somewhere for a little bit, could be a different one however
Blue and White Barmy Army !!!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #765 on: July 12, 2016, 11:10:25 AM »
We did indeed. Was highly rated but never managed to break through and moved on. Like most of our kids.
Cheers gents, glad I'm not going mad. I thought he was highly rated as well. Shows how easy it is to fall off the radar and how good you have to be to forge any sort of professional career.
The likes of Wood, Roofe, Mantom etc. are often regarded as failures, but I think any of our academy players who make a living from the game should be considered a success.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #766 on: July 12, 2016, 11:25:49 AM »
Cheers gents, glad I'm not going mad. I thought he was highly rated as well. Shows how easy it is to fall off the radar and how good you have to be to forge any sort of professional career.
The likes of Wood, Roofe, Mantom etc. are often regarded as failures, but I think any of our academy players who make a living from the game should be considered a success.
to us they are failures because they don't make the first team, but then you realise teams can only have 25 senior players. There are only about 2500 job places in the PL. with less than half of those being first team players. They've done well to get what they have, even at a lower level.

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #767 on: July 12, 2016, 11:37:14 AM »
wasn't it Ibrahim Sissoko and he was related (younger brother I believe) with Mo Sissoko who was at Liverpool at the time.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #768 on: July 12, 2016, 11:52:13 AM »
wasn't it Ibrahim Sissoko and he was related (younger brother I believe) with Mo Sissoko who was at Liverpool at the time.

Yes that's him. Mo was average at Liverpool then did well in Germany. Ibrahim never went anywhere really.

EDIT:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/west_bromwich_albion/4190418.stm

There's the article when we signed him

He/him

Paul01384

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #769 on: July 24, 2016, 05:16:04 PM »
We played Birmingham City yesterday in an U21 friendly at the training ground
Score 1-1
We played well in the first half, had many good moves & shots on goal but Birmingham scored just before HT, Nabi equalised midway through the second half from the penalty spot.
Team
Palmer - Sweeney, Howkins, O'Shea, McCourt - Nabi, Ward, Scrivens - Smith, Wright, Campbell

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #770 on: July 26, 2016, 12:27:14 PM »

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #771 on: July 26, 2016, 01:10:13 PM »
Video of highlights from the friendly against Blues

http://www.bcfc.com/news/article/2016-17/west-brom-birmingham-city-3207187.aspx

Some poor defending at times but looked decent going forward. Cracking penalty too.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #772 on: July 26, 2016, 05:58:29 PM »
I'm not sure how the clubs were allocated, but we've been placed in Division 2 of the new Premier League 2 U23 set-up. Clubs are allowed to field a goalkeeper + up to 3 outfield players who are over 23, but they must have been born on or after 1/1/1993. There are 12 teams in each league with a 2-up, 2-down promotion/relegation system between the 2 leagues (using play-offs for the second promotion spot). The 2 divisions are comprised as follows:

Division 1: Arsenal, Chelsea, Derby County, Everton, Leicester City, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Reading, Southampton, Sunderland, Tottenham Hotspur

Division 2: Aston Villa, Blackburn Rovers, Brighton & Hove Albion, Fulham, Middlesbrough, Newcastle United, Norwich City, Swansea City, Stoke City, West Bromwich Albion, West Ham United, Wolverhampton Wanderers

Each club plays all of the others home and away, so there will be 22 league games. There are also new Premier League Cup and Premier League International Cup (which has a Champions League format) competitions, although only 12 of the U23 teams can take part in the latter, which won't include us at present. As people will be aware, the U23 teams from 16 clubs are now also able to take part in the Football League Trophy. As people will know, we've already accepted that invitation, although a number of Prem clubs have declined. I'm sure there will be a pretty close correlation between those clubs who declined the invitation for the Football League Trophy and those who are taking part in the Premier League International Cup!

With the number of competitive games being played by these new U23 teams being greater than the previous U21 set-up, it'll be interesting to see if clubs are less inclined to loan players out to lower league clubs.

Source: Sky Sports

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #773 on: July 26, 2016, 06:53:08 PM »
Thanks for the info. Bit confused about the 'must have been born on or after 1/1/1993'. I assume that's the cut-off for those players classing as under 23 .....whereas there is no restriction for the  'goal keeper and 3 outfield players who can be over 23 ?? Is that right ?

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #774 on: July 26, 2016, 09:27:44 PM »
Thanks for the info. Bit confused about the 'must have been born on or after 1/1/1993'. I assume that's the cut-off for those players classing as under 23 .....whereas there is no restriction for the  'goal keeper and 3 outfield players who can be over 23 ?? Is that right ?
It's not entirely obvious from the Sky webpage that I got the info from, but the way it's written seems to imply that applies to the keeper and 3 outfield players who can be over 23, i.e. they can't be much over 23. Someone born on 1/1/1993 is now 23 years and 7 months old. The Sky webpage doesn't say if it's a fixed date or if it increases by a year each season.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 10:19:38 PM by WorcsWBA »