Author Topic: 26th July 2019 Albion 0 AFC Bournemouth 0  (Read 15569 times)

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

Re: 26th July 2019 - AFC Bournemouth (H)
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2019, 09:45:13 PM »
Why on earth do you say that? They are playing some nice passing stuff tonight. I think we are going to have a really good season, this bunch of lads seem to be enjoying it
Passing doesn't win games. Goals do.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2019, 09:48:58 PM »
Yep we definitely need a quality, clinical striker but the rest of it gives me some hope.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2019, 09:49:35 PM »
I think we've looked a dramatically improved footballing side from last season. Passing has been superb. We really need a Gayle or similar, a LW and a quality CB (Chalobah), and I would be confident of pi$$ing the league this year. Bilic has made noticeable changes already and we'll only get stronger.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

Re: 26th July 2019 Albion 0 AFC Bournemouth 0
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2019, 09:53:03 PM »
Impressed. Nice football. Pace of passing better and movement looked a lot better. 

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2019, 09:54:55 PM »
If we can add a Mapuay/Gayle the striker to this squad, along with Sawyers, we stand a good chance of being able to challenge.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2019, 09:56:24 PM »
If we can add a Mapuay/Gayle the striker to this squad, along with Sawyers, we stand a good chance of being able to challenge.

There isn't a chance we'll end up with either of them, people need to stop thinking we've got 15-20m to spend on a 50k a week striker. We'd just about manage that in the premier.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2019, 09:58:51 PM »
Great play at times against a solid PL side.

As mentioned, a striker with a killer instinct is needed as tonight we made chances with no goals. Overall good, positive stuff though.

Brombo97

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2019, 09:59:18 PM »
A competent display. We had the chances to win it but it's clear that Zohore will need better support-  a strike partner or a goal scoring midfielder. No one played badly but no outstanding performances either. Creditable performance from Ferguson and Leko looked like he might finally be acquiring  some awareness. I'm not sure how Romaine Sawyers will fit into this side, he's not the sort of midfielder we need most. I fancy Bilic might need several games before he settles on his strongest side, several of the young players are knocking on the door.

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2019, 10:11:14 PM »
There isn't a chance we'll end up with either of them, people need to stop thinking we've got 15-20m to spend on a 50k a week striker. We'd just about manage that in the premier.
the original poster hasn’t been helped by a typo, there’s no reason we can’t get that ‘type’ of striker, he wasn’t suggest those actual players.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2019, 10:12:43 PM »

Personally I can see us going for Vydra.

Or revisiting Austin when he realises he has nowhere else to go.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2019, 10:19:14 PM »
Our 2nd half performance was dramatically improved, the players are passing it about with verve and pace. Movement is good and we looked relatively solid at the back. They also look happy, which is huge.

Few things, I think O'Shea is better than Bartley already. Krovinovic is a baller, will be very good at this level. Midfield looked better with Brunt and Field as opposed to Livermore and Harper, while Edwards was strangely off the boil with Leko offering a far greater threat with much more direct play.

We'll create plenty this season from open and set play, hopefully we stick enough away to challenge Fulham for the title.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2019, 10:33:11 PM »
Our 2nd half performance was dramatically improved, the players are passing it about with verve and pace. Movement is good and we looked relatively solid at the back. They also look happy, which is huge.

Few things, I think O'Shea is better than Bartley already. Krovinovic is a baller, will be very good at this level. Midfield looked better with Brunt and Field as opposed to Livermore and Harper, while Edwards was strangely off the boil with Leko offering a far greater threat with much more direct play.

We'll create plenty this season from open and set play, hopefully we stick enough away to challenge Fulham for the title.
Wonder what Slaven said to Edwards on the pitch at the end of the Rotherham game and was there some knock-on effect or slight change of role for him ?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2019, 10:36:05 PM »
Encouraging overall. Like others have said, we do lack a predator in front of goal. Hopefully we willl get one. Not sure why some thought we’d get hammered tonight but still.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2019, 10:38:53 PM »
Encouraging overall. Like others have said, we do lack a predator in front of goal. Hopefully we willl get one. Not sure why some thought we’d get hammered tonight but still.

Who? Weakened AFC Bournemouth side who are a week behind us in their preparations.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2019, 10:47:39 PM »
Passing doesn't win games. Goals do.

You need to make your mind up here Droitwich. Your favourite phrase is ‘hoof ball’ and constantly accusing the team of not playing from the back. Tonight we have seen some neat passing and confidence on the ball, everything you have been asking for.....

I am sure Slaven is fully aware that goals win games so expect some improvements there as well.....
MAGA!

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2019, 10:52:32 PM »
Overall, a decent base but the last 2 weeks of this window are now key as we are like a bread knife at a steak meal.

Krovinovic looks a great signing. A great out ball, tidy in possession and covers more ground than I expected. Hard to judge his creativity though with so little forward movement.

Really enjoyed how Ajayi grew in to the game. Very quick, will be able to handle quick forwards and allows you to play a higher line.

Furlong looked decent in his second half spell. Doesn't go forward as much as Gibbs but tidy.

Zohore isn't very mobile, but saw signs of what he can do, bringing others around him in to the game. Badly needs a few forwards with him though as it was just him and Krovinovic 1st half.

Other highlights included great showings from Ferguson (who can accelerate out of trouble and also has great upper body strength), and Dara O'Shea who has a bit of the Harry Maguire about him.

Second half was better than the first. We were increasingly deep first half with Livermore and Harper both putting in tidy, but conservative performances (Harper being the better of the 2), and Edwards being anonymous. Phillips showed flashes but his passing was off and he needs the team to be buzzing to put in his best performances.

Second half improved with the addition of Brunt and Field who made things more fluid. The fact we brought on an entire team of fresh legs may also have helped though. The pre season version of Hal Robson Kanu showed up - tricks and all. I wish pre season HRK played in the actual league games. Burke is fast but doesn't really look like he knows where to be. Leko was better when he linked up with Krovinovic.

Overall, we showed we have a decent foundation, that's a few key pieces away from being competetive.

Unless we have a striker in place for next week, a draw is probably the best we can hope for.
Boing Boing

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2019, 10:55:44 PM »
Thought all of the kids gave a good account of themselves, with Field probably best of the group and Leko looking better than normal. Ajayi really does look a snip, gave away an needless corner early on but once the nerves had settled, gave an exemplary performance, much better centre half than than Bartley. Personally very encouraged by the overall performance, didn't think anyone looked poor.If we can bring in a couple of players who know where the back of the net is, we can improve on last season.
We should be able to have a good bench of players who are able to step up.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2019, 10:59:20 PM »

Who? Weakened AFC Bournemouth side who are a week behind us in their preparations.

Look back at earlier posts for the answer. Just saying that the negativity from some gets to me that’s all.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2019, 11:05:41 PM »
You need to make your mind up here Droitwich. Your favourite phrase is ‘hoof ball’ and constantly accusing the team of not playing from the back. Tonight we have seen some neat passing and confidence on the ball, everything you have been asking for.....

I am sure Slaven is fully aware that goals win games so expect some improvements there as well.....
I accept what you are saying.
I don't like the hoofball game ala Pulis.
Also the passing game must have an outlet to the forwards and sideways passing although looks pretty does nothing.

Pureade1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2019, 11:12:55 PM »
We played some good football and looked neat and tidy however we really do need someone with a poachers instinct in front of goal, get that and we will be alright. Zohore I’m not sure on personally but having seen him for 2 brief pre season performances not going to judge him, Krovacinic looks exciting, Furlong looks raw but energetic. Ajayi looks like he would thrive at the back alongside Hegazi IMO.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2019, 11:14:26 PM »

It was after we made substitutions. For the first ten minutes or so second half Bournemouth were starting to get on top.

I don't like the combo of Livermore and Harper, neither of them pass the ball well enough. Brunt and Field looked better when they came on.

Nathan Ferguson looks promising and Dara O'Shea looked like he'd played at this level for about ten years when he came on, he must be part of the squad this season.

I think everyone knows we need quality in the forward areas. I thought Burke looked more lively than Zohore. Edwards showed why he isn't a starter yet at this level. A couple of quality loans in the forward areas and we're ready to kick off the season.

smudger 2007

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2019, 11:37:27 PM »
Decent performance. Played some nice quick stuff. Need to be more clinical.  But believe we will bring a goalscorer in. New boys all did well. Especially. Filip and ajayi he's gunna be some plater that lad. All in all promising. And billic certainly seems to have them trying to play quick clever football. Noted the crowd on express and star site said 15000 never that many there

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2019, 11:40:45 PM »
Decent performance. Played some nice quick stuff. Need to be more clinical.  But believe we will bring a goalscorer in. New boys all did well. Especially. Filip and ajayi he's gunna be some plater that lad. All in all promising. And billic certainly seems to have them trying to play quick clever football. Noted the crowd on express and star site said 15000 never that many there

Gate was around 5k.

smudger 2007

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2019, 11:48:23 PM »

Gate was around 5k.
that's what I thought bham mail ratings page says 15k 🙈

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2019, 12:07:58 AM »
Sat just behind Slav. He's the breath of fresh air we've needed for a while. He gets excited on the touchline and is very vocal. The players looked like they knew what they were doing.

I thought Ferguson looked comfortable at right back, strong and confident. Krovinovic is in another class. Absolutely brilliant, the ball stuck to his foot and he turned so quickly.

There was generally some nice inter-passing throughout the game and we seemed to have some urgency about us. The only area I felt we were lacking was the final third. Bilic himself said after the game that he expects players to shoot, we played around too much.

On the poor side, I think Edwards needs to get his head up a bit more. He gives up too easily and seems lazy at times. And Leko is another. He almost seems nonchalant when on the ball. And we definitely need at least one more striker. Zohore, on first inspection seems like another HRK. A big guy like him should be steamrolling defenders, but he seemed a tad light.

Did anyone else see Gibbs going mad at someone? It sounded like he said "what?! What the f"*** am I meant to do?!" in Slavs direction.

Anyway, we played very well and I think we have a promising midfield. Just need some goals and we'll be in for some fun.