Author Topic: Long term deal for Josh  (Read 1929 times)

royhan

• WBA Coach

Long term deal for Josh
« on: September 12, 2019, 07:52:28 PM »
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere. I must have missed it. If it has mods please delete

Albion have confirmed that young England goalkeeper Josh Griffiths has signed a four-year deal with the Club.
The 18-year-old from Hereford put pen to paper on an extended contract which ties him to The Hawthorns until 2023.
Griffiths, who is just back from training with the Young Lions’ Under-20 squad, has previously represented his country at Under-18 level.
He trained throughout pre-season alongside first-team keepers Sam Johnstone and Jonathan Bond and has made a big impact within the ranks.
Senior goalkeeping coach Gary Walsh said: “It’s great for the Club and it’s great for Josh. Apart from his potential, he’s a terrific lad who is really grounded and that’s a big credit to him, the Club and everyone who has worked with him.
“He’s working alongside the three senior keepers now and he is like a sponge listening to all their advice. They want to help him because he is such a genuine young man
“The biggest compliment I can pay him is that I keep forgetting he’s 18. His potential is there for us all to see – but now he has got to keep working and I am sure he will do.”
Sporting and Technical Director Luke Dowling added that he first noted Josh’s potential and progress a year ago when reports from first-team training sessions began to filter through.
Luke said: “When you hear Dwight Gayle complaining he can never beat him and Jake Livermore checking on whether we have got him tied down on a contract, you know you’ve got a talent on your hands.
“It’s been important for us to get Josh settled on a long deal because we know of at least one Premier League club who were trying to lure him away.
“I’m delighted he has committed to us and looking forward to see him progress still further.”
And Josh himself, who is already pushing 6ft 6in, spoke of his excitement at agreeing a new deal with the Baggies.
“I’ve been at the Club since I was 10 so this is pretty special for me. I’m delighted,” he said.
“It’s been a fantastic learning curve for me working with the senior keepers.
"Training alongside Sam, Bondy and now Ali is tremendous and they are always willing to help me progress."

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

Re: Long term deal for Josh
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 08:14:10 PM »
If he's that highly rated then we should be looking at playing him. Bournemouth have picked a rookie GK in the PL, we need to be braver with academy products if they are good enough.

AbbeymeadBaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 08:25:46 PM »
Yes - if they are good enough then they are old enough

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 08:43:44 PM »
Generally I agree but with goalkeepers it's a bit different, unlike other positions they are under the microscope more so - instead I would do what Man City did with Joe Hart - loan him until he's clearly confident enough.

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 02:20:20 AM »
 ;D 18 is not too young...Peter Shilton made his debut for Leicester when he was 17 (and told the club he wanted the job fulltime and a bloke called Gordon Banks
had to leave the club for Stoke). Gary Sprake played his first game for Leeds at 18. :D

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 01:27:09 PM »
I'd like to send him out to League 2 or 1 if we could. He may be highly rated but as somebody else said, keepers are under the microscope and there is a pressure here to get promoted. Any mistakes could lay a heavy burden on him. It would be good to see how he does elsewhere.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill