Author Topic: Worst home match  (Read 13365 times)

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

Re: Worst home match
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2013, 03:38:48 PM »
Red Star was the quarter final if I remember.

One of the worst was Wimbledon at home when they had  bus full of fans, lost 1-0.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

johnthebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2013, 03:47:45 PM »
There's been loads to be fair, most of them in the mid nineties, but one that stands out is when we drew 2 2 with Crystal Palace in the great escape season.

I remember the total joy when Earnshaw out us 2 1 up late on, after being a goal down. But then total despair when they scrambled a last minute equaliser.

Have come away many times feeling down, but was really gutted that night.

Tony Goddens Gloves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2013, 03:53:07 PM »
Loads to mention !  But the pick for me were

V Peterborough league cup 1st leg lost 3-0, they were div 4 then
V Forest. Lost 5-1, even though we took the lead after 20 secs !
V Liverpool Lost 6-0, the only game I have left early
V Forest lost 1-0, last game of the season so we ended up 3rd not runners up
V Stoke Lost 3-0, totally done by a rubbish ref
V Red Star Qtr final Drew 1-1, gutted as we should have gone all the way that year
Any games during Brian Little and Denis Smiths reigns, we were useless

Avonbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2013, 07:10:03 PM »
Red Star was the quarter final if I remember.

One of the worst was Wimbledon at home when they had  bus full of fans, lost 1-0.

I think you could have fitted them all in a mini-van. How can only 17 fans travel!  ;D

Dale

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2013, 08:02:45 PM »
Albion 0 - 3 Blues

Brian Little's last game. De Frietis and Micky Evans as our forward line. Dear oh Dear.

There was a fight in the rainbow stand in front of me and my dad. My best mate came along for his first game too. Blues fans singing 'we'll never play you again'. People trying to get on the pitch; one trying to confront Mr Little himself.

The whole ground aiming their own personalised insults at Brian Little at the final whistle, it really was bad times for the club.

Little did we know that a man named Gary Megson would arrive, soon throwing the players television out of the changing room, and turning things around quite dramatically for this great club.

Think about that next time you moan eh!

Totally agree mate that one and the 5-1 defeat to Crewe too! Little did we know at the time half their team would go on to play Premier League football! Very bad times for the club and for me the worst I've seen in my lifetime.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 08:11:21 PM by Dale »

Orlando Albion

« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2013, 09:57:16 PM »
Does anybody remember Swansea at home under Gould?? Torrential rain all day and we went in at half time with a comfortable 2-0 lead, Only for them to score 3 in the last 7 minutes?? That was a particularly bad one

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2013, 10:00:08 PM »
In terms of a tedious watch, Everton at home New Years Day two years ago.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2013, 10:07:52 PM »
Does anybody remember Swansea at home under Gould?? Torrential rain all day and we went in at half time with a comfortable 2-0 lead, Only for them to score 3 in the last 7 minutes?? That was a particularly bad one

Wasn't that the game where there was a demo at the end and led to us signing Bob Taylor the following week ?

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2013, 10:33:13 PM »
Forest beating us 3-1 a few years ago because I thought for sure they were going to go up with Newcastle because they outclassed us that day. Just so it happens it was the kick up the backside we needed.
the regime don't like it man

johnnyg

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2013, 10:47:23 PM »
Home to Portmouth on  Tues or Wed night in 1994/95 season i think, under Keith Burkinshaw. Totally brutal. Appalling, abysmal. Lost 2-0.
Or the 0-1 loss to Plymouth in the FA Cup in 1984, the day Johnny Giles returned as manager ( with sidekicks Norman Hunter and Nobby Stiles )
More recently, Woking. Enough said.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2013, 11:01:47 PM »
I've been quite fortunate that there haven't been that many which I would say have been woefully bad. There have been plenty of poor performances however.

Two that stick in my mind however are our defeats to Cardiff, Nottingham Forest and Stoke. Cardiff was on a week night where we were garbage defensively and lost 2-0. We'd been caught in a massive traffic jam on our way to the ground and I actually wished the traffic jam had lasted another two hours or so. The Forest game was awful because of the weather conditions, it was freezing and we got an absolute pasting. The Stoke game was the following season where a side which plays for 0-0 beat us 3-0. They were gifted an absolute joke of a penalty and then put us to the sword.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2013, 12:01:12 AM »

Here you go mate:

Losing 3-2 to Swansea after being 2 nil up and Williams scoring a hat-trick in the last fifteen minutes.

Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2013, 10:16:32 AM »
Stoke 08/09, such a shocking game we didn't get anyway near them that day that was probably the game that sent us down really. Swansea last week was very poor it had the feel of a friendly game to it. The Reading game in the FA Cup a few seasons ago w were winning 2-1 not long left and they end up winning in extra time. 
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

WestBromJim

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2013, 10:34:18 AM »
Crewe at home Adebola scored yet again!! 5-1??
No matter where I roam, I will come back to the Brummie road, Cause no bonds, can ever tempt me from thee. The Jam (nearly)

Orlando Albion

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2013, 04:45:37 PM »
Here you go mate:

Cheers Jacko, It stands out because I went with a work mate who hadnt been for years, He parked so far away from the ground (virtually in Smethwick high st) that we got completely drownded before the game, which set the tone for the whole day . Think OldburyWBA might have nailed it about Taylor.

I dont think the old work mate has been since.

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2013, 05:34:38 PM »
When we lost to Everton on new years day under Roy.

Worst game ever, early kick off, hungover, lost in the last minute, of all people bloody Anichebe scored... O wait  ;D

the lords my shepherd

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2013, 05:55:15 PM »
Got to be The Woking game in The FA Cup. Lost 4-2 at home and well beaten.  :(
Once a Baggie, Always a Baggie. Its in the blood.

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2013, 05:58:01 PM »
WBA 1-3 Nottingham Forrest 2009

I  thought we would finish in the play-offs after that game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fi_61fWk2c

Amazing to look at that team now, most have left.
BOING BOING

Avonbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2013, 03:47:20 AM »
WBA 1-3 Nottingham Forrest 2009

I  thought we would finish in the play-offs after that game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fi_61fWk2c

Amazing to look at that team now, most have left.

Friday night match in the snow... Why they kept the game on i don't know. I couldn't even get to the ground so watched it on Sky. Forrest were on form and we wern't.. Not a surprise result!

mank baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2013, 11:09:25 AM »
early mid 70s think it was 3rd round fa cup necastle brought thousands and beat us 3 0 it was like a toon home game

else

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2013, 01:17:30 PM »
The ones that stick out for me are the majority of the Stoke at home games and like many have said, when we lost to Forest on that Friday night. Awful!

Payney_WBA

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2013, 02:01:36 PM »
Bolton at home in 2006

We drew 0-0 after all the results around us suggested we had a chance of staying up.

Robson played Kevin Campbell on his todd up front. Came home after that and cried me eyes out
The Lord's my Shepherd, I'll not want; He makes me down to lie, In pastures green; He leadeth me, The quiet waters by. The West Brom! The West Brom!

btbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2013, 02:46:57 PM »
It was Thornber who got the hat trick for Swansea when we were 2-0 up after Williams had run us ragged. Then Gould came out with a microphone to talk to the protest in the Brummie, he promised us a new striker was on way, turned out to be Bob Taylor

That cup game against Newcastle in the 70s was the best away surport i have ever seen they were on all 4 sides of the ground.

baggies37

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2013, 04:16:41 PM »
Plymouth facup circa 84 ?
Plymouth were two divisions below us a i recall.

lost 1-nil and i believe it was Johnny Giles first game back as manager (2nd time round).

anyone remember?
norwich baggies

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2013, 04:18:33 PM »
Plymouth facup circa 84 ?
Plymouth were two divisions below us a i recall.

lost 1-nil and i believe it was Johnny Giles first game back as manager (2nd time round).

anyone remember?

Oh yes correct, it was Johnny Giles first game second spell. Tossed my silk scarf onto the pitch.The last one i purchased
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite