Author Topic: Anything England Football  (Read 781201 times)

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Anything England Football
« Reply #4250 on: March 27, 2024, 01:15:47 PM »
Actually thought England played ok against Brazil, and very well against Belgium personally.

My only gripe is that I would have given Branthwaite and Palmer minutes.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4251 on: March 27, 2024, 01:27:37 PM »
Actually thought England played ok against Brazil, and very well against Belgium personally.

My only gripe is that I would have given Branthwaite and Palmer minutes.

Thought we were sloppy, disjointed and all over the place at times against Brazil. Much better last night but we still had too many 'pass the cigar' moments. Completely agree re Cole Palmer. Very good football player.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4252 on: March 27, 2024, 03:16:36 PM »
Gehui & Stones are my cb pairing
Maguire is finished at international level, Dunk should not be anywhere near the squad, ever! Pickford? Definately not our number1. Ramsdale for me. Henderson is finished. The defence needs fixing asap, the midfield/attack we have plenty to choose from

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4253 on: March 27, 2024, 03:40:06 PM »
What abomination?

I thought we played alright against Brazil and pretty good against Belgium.  Lots of lovely link up play in action, especially between Bellingham and Foden.  With Kane in the team and some better defenders I think we'd have beat Belgium and got a better result against Brazil.  I don't think there's any international teams we should be scared of - that's for sure.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 04:38:06 PM by OldburyWBA »

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4254 on: March 27, 2024, 04:18:00 PM »
The lad at liverpool "Jarell Amorin Quansah" age 21, he is the answer to our C-H partner for Stones problem.
He is learning from Van Dyke and looking a REAL prospect
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #4255 on: March 27, 2024, 04:43:55 PM »
Can we keep this on the pitch football related and not about shirts or flags please.

And before anyone has a moan in the thread if you have an issue with this please dm me as your post will be removed.

You know its a football forum and it will stay that way without some diverting every possible thread in other directions.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4256 on: April 15, 2024, 08:35:24 PM »
Another hat trick by Cole Palmer tonight puts Chelsea 3 -0 up against Everton with 29 minutes of the game gone.

What a talent. Can Southgate find a way to use it?

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4257 on: April 15, 2024, 08:50:31 PM »
Another hat trick by Cole Palmer tonight puts Chelsea 3 -0 up against Everton with 29 minutes of the game gone.

I mean he can pick up to start with. But Southgate disappoints for me with how he uses our talent.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4258 on: April 15, 2024, 08:55:05 PM »
I mean he can pick up to start with. But Southgate disappoints for me with how he uses our talent.

He's joint 2nd top goal scorer now in the PL, he's got 19 now same as Watkins i think.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4259 on: April 15, 2024, 09:51:31 PM »
Thankfully Palmer is making it nigh on impossible not to take him.

Luckily, a lot of his favourites like Phillips and Rashford are in terrible form so he will have a job on to justify selecting them if he does

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4260 on: April 15, 2024, 09:54:54 PM »
Thankfully Palmer is making it nigh on impossible not to take him.

Luckily, a lot of his favourites like Phillips and Rashford are in terrible form so he will have a job on to justify selecting them if he does

This is Southgate we are talking about though. Loyal is his middle name sadly

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4261 on: April 15, 2024, 09:56:03 PM »
This is Southgate we are talking about though. Loyal is his middle name sadly

It’s true, but the form of some of our more fringe players under him is frighteningly good.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4262 on: April 15, 2024, 09:57:44 PM »
It’s true, but the form of some of our more fringe players under him is frighteningly good.

I agree mate but I don't think that matters so much to Southgate.

Can someone get Gareth a club job please

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4263 on: April 15, 2024, 10:08:29 PM »

Doubt it. If the likes of Foden/Saka/Bellingham look ordinary for England then so will he.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4264 on: April 15, 2024, 10:10:32 PM »
Doubt it. If the likes of Foden/Saka/Bellingham look ordinary for England then so will he.

I'm trying to remain positive but I fear you are right

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #4265 on: April 16, 2024, 10:28:53 AM »

i very much doubt it, hes got too many favourites. harry Maguire etc. hopefully its Southgates last tournament 
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4266 on: April 16, 2024, 10:44:21 AM »

i very much doubt it, hes got too many favourites. harry Maguire etc. hopefully its Southgates last tournament

I think the majority of people are wishing the same

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4267 on: April 16, 2024, 11:16:58 AM »
When he came in, Southgate (along with Dan Ashworth) definitely changed the approach of the national team from picking either "the best" players, or "the form" players, and treated it more like a club where there was a settled core of players who would work across multiple international periods to learn the patterns of play and style that Southgate wants. My personal opinion is that Southgate and his coaching team, e.g. Steve Holland, over-achieved from low expectations in Russia 2018, but since expectations have been higher, there have been missed opportunities, e.g. the Euros final Vs Italy.

The reason this is important for the Premier League is it's not about whether player X or Y is in form - if they haven't been in the setup before, they are unlikely to make a squad and even less likely to play.

This is of course just an outside observation - I don't know Southgate's selection policy, but it was pretty well documented that is the structure he and Ashworth wanted to have. It gives much greater stability and allows for more complex tactical structure, but the majority downside is it takes away a lot of flexibility and definitely makes it seem like he has his favourites who are undroppable regardless of form (or in Maguire's case in the past... actually playing at all)

He/him

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4268 on: April 16, 2024, 12:42:52 PM »
Manager created a team in his own image, Dour, organised, fit, lacking in flair and creativity.

Used to be known as "the english way".
Most successful teams have been a marriage of "the english way" with a sprinkling of highly talented players, or supporting a generational talent (Pele / Maradona / Messi).

If we look at the Argentine side, you would hardly call McAllister / Otamendi / Fernandez / Rodrigo DePaul ...... world beaters, but they were, Largely due to Messi & Di Maria

Gareth needs to choose some "quality" and stick with it, personally I would go Saka / Foden / Palmer.

Grealish / Gordon / Sterling / Bowen   might make my squad but unlikely to play. Rashford definitely would not
Albion Family !!!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4269 on: April 16, 2024, 01:00:11 PM »
Although i want Southgate gone it wouldn't be fair to say he hasn't done some things right, improved areas etc like Mark says but we have now left his ways behind. He is the 'bottleneck' for the English football team now.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4270 on: April 16, 2024, 01:22:34 PM »
Do you mean get rid of arguably the most successful England manager apart from Sir Alf?
I say give him until after the Euros, if he doesnt win it, then part company with him.
With this group of players he shpuld win it.
Trouble is he must sort out the central defenders partnership, and gk.
If he can get thst sorted we should win it.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4271 on: April 16, 2024, 01:31:07 PM »
Do you mean get rid of arguably the most successful England manager apart from Sir Alf?
I say give him until after the Euros, if he doesnt win it, then part company with him.
With this group of players he shpuld win it.
Trouble is he must sort out the central defenders partnership, and gk.
If he can get thst sorted we should win it.

Don't think anyone is asking for him to be sacked for the Euros but I'd like him gone after.it

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4272 on: April 16, 2024, 01:36:39 PM »
Manager created a team in his own image, Dour, organised, fit, lacking in flair and creativity.

Used to be known as "the english way".
Most successful teams have been a marriage of "the english way" with a sprinkling of highly talented players, or supporting a generational talent (Pele / Maradona / Messi).

If we look at the Argentine side, you would hardly call McAllister / Otamendi / Fernandez / Rodrigo DePaul ...... world beaters, but they were, Largely due to Messi & Di Maria

Gareth needs to choose some "quality" and stick with it, personally I would go Saka / Foden / Palmer.

Grealish / Gordon / Sterling / Bowen   might make my squad but unlikely to play. Rashford definitely would not

At the moment I think Southgate and most fans picks goes Foden left / Bellingham Central and Saka right. Foden gets shunted left probably unfairly but because he's more comfortable out there than Bellingham.

However Foden, Palmer, Saka would allow us to drop Bellingham deeper to play central with Rice, which I think would work really well. Rice Bellingham central has legs, power, pace, bite and quality and you've got balance between one who naturally wants to be more defensive and sit, and another who wants to press forward.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4273 on: April 16, 2024, 04:07:36 PM »

At the moment I think Southgate and most fans picks goes Foden left / Bellingham Central and Saka right. Foden gets shunted left probably unfairly but because he's more comfortable out there than Bellingham.

However Foden, Palmer, Saka would allow us to drop Bellingham deeper to play central with Rice, which I think would work really well. Rice Bellingham central has legs, power, pace, bite and quality and you've got balance between one who naturally wants to be more defensive and sit, and another who wants to press forward.

Wouldnt disagree with a 5 man midfield

------- Keeper (Pickford?)

Walker   Stones    Qanash??   Shaw (trippier)

-------------- Rice

---- Foden         Palmer           Saka

-------------- Bellingham

--------------------Kane
Albion Family !!!

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4274 on: April 16, 2024, 07:26:50 PM »
             Pope/Johnstone/Henderson/

Walker.          Gomez/Ghuei.  Stones.     Shaw

Rice.          Bellingham

Foden.                Palmer.                Gordon

Kane
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..