Author Topic: Matty Phillips  (Read 406816 times)

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Matty Phillips
« Reply #1250 on: December 30, 2019, 11:52:08 AM »
Shocked at the level of criticism directed at Phillips.  Only 3 weeks ago he was sublime v Swansea. Still 2nd in goalscoring charts behind Austin who only has 1 more.  As I already pointed out the times he crossed yesterday there was 1 bloke in the box only.  What's he expected to do jink past 4 players and bend 1 in the top corner?  Even Pereira rarely dies that.  I suggest we get off his back and stop taking out frustration on one man when it's several players collectively that is the issue.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1251 on: December 30, 2019, 12:17:24 PM »
I thought Phillips actually did more yesterday than Pereira in terms of end product. *Hides behind sofa*
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1252 on: December 30, 2019, 12:18:50 PM »
Shocked at the level of criticism directed at Phillips.  Only 3 weeks ago he was sublime v Swansea. Still 2nd in goalscoring charts behind Austin who only has 1 more.  As I already pointed out the times he crossed yesterday there was 1 bloke in the box only.  What's he expected to do jink past 4 players and bend 1 in the top corner?  Even Pereira rarely dies that.  I suggest we get off his back and stop taking out frustration on one man when it's several players collectively that is the issue.
It is indeed several players...but this is the Phillips thread ?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1253 on: December 30, 2019, 12:57:18 PM »
I thought Phillips actually did more yesterday than Pereira in terms of end product. *Hides behind sofa*

There was no end product yesterday. We didn't create one really good chance, but at least Pereria was showing for the ball and trying to make things happen. Phillips constantly put himself in positions where Furlong couldn't find him, and had to go backwards; he was hiding because he didn't want the responsibility. Like James McClean or Dave Edwards, he has a way of looking like he's giving his all for the team, but in reality he's doing things which take him out of the game or absolve him of responsibility.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1254 on: December 30, 2019, 01:59:51 PM »
There was no end product yesterday. We didn't create one really good chance, but at least Pereria was showing for the ball and trying to make things happen. Phillips constantly put himself in positions where Furlong couldn't find him, and had to go backwards; he was hiding because he didn't want the responsibility. Like James McClean or Dave Edwards, he has a way of looking like he's giving his all for the team, but in reality he's doing things which take him out of the game or absolve him of responsibility.
Nail on head
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1255 on: December 30, 2019, 02:32:12 PM »

My biggest worry with Phillips is his lack of fitness. He never seems to able to play more than an hour and always looks shattered. Still an important player for us though and generally I think he's done okay this season.

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1256 on: December 30, 2019, 04:32:33 PM »
I was going to post today but it seems most people agree with me.
To sum up
1 good at running with ball but can not beat a player
2 Pulls out of tackles
3 Has hardly done anything in last couple of months
4 Looks unfit and looks as if he is running through treacle in last 30 minutes of most games
5 should be sold  for any sensible price if an offer comes in

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1257 on: December 30, 2019, 05:00:36 PM »
I was going to post today but it seems most people agree with me.
To sum up
1 good at running with ball but can not beat a player
2 Pulls out of tackles
3 Has hardly done anything in last couple of months
4 Looks unfit and looks as if he is running through treacle in last 30 minutes of most games
5 should be sold  for any sensible price if an offer comes in

You forgot to mention joint top goal scorer this season.....
MAGA!

we8seals

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1258 on: December 31, 2019, 05:59:27 PM »
Philips is a busted flush - particularly in the system Slav wants to play. In that system the three behind the striker all of them (or at least two of the three) in every game for us to be effective. Currently too much is on the shoulders of Perrreira  A new winger and a striker are absolutely top priorities. In my dreams we get a full back, centre half and a centre mid. It wont happen so hold on to your hats fellas, going to be a bumby ride.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1259 on: December 31, 2019, 06:03:50 PM »
Philips is a busted flush - particularly in the system Slav wants to play. In that system the three behind the striker all of them (or at least two of the three) in every game for us to be effective. Currently too much is on the shoulders of Perrreira  A new winger and a striker are absolutely top priorities. In my dreams we get a full back, centre half and a centre mid. It wont happen so hold on to your hats fellas, going to be a bumby ride.

I agree Pereira is carrying us on his own as an attacking threat at the moment. He needs help before he gets inebriated off and starts thinking (subconsciously) what's the point.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1260 on: December 31, 2019, 06:12:47 PM »
Phillips has a decent burst of pace which takes him past several defenders at once. He is dependant on getting the right ball, though sometimes he goes deep to collect it. v Brentford I was watching him waiting for such a thro pass, but it didn't come. He also has a very decent cross and he strikes the ball well, which means he is one of our regular scorers.
I think we need strengthening in the wing department, but Phillips should definitely be kept as one of our options.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

P Anderson

• Site Donator
  • Junior Baggie

« Reply #1261 on: January 02, 2020, 12:49:59 PM »
Thought he was awful last night. Didn’t offer much, considering he is one of our more experienced players. Left furlong exposed an awful lot in the second half. Needs dropping for a few games to get his hunger back in my opinion.
Submariners go deeper

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1262 on: January 02, 2020, 01:10:45 PM »
It was horrible watching how exposed Furlong was, for this reason alone Matt needs dropping, our fullbacks overlapping was a major asset earlier in the season, now we seem to be far more conservative angst if Matt is not capable of working with the full back he has to be dropped imo
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1263 on: January 02, 2020, 01:13:02 PM »
Thought he was awful last night. Didn’t offer much, considering he is one of our more experienced players. Left furlong exposed an awful lot in the second half. Needs dropping for a few games to get his hunger back in my opinion.
We can't afford to drop him at the moment and I don't think he was awful last night. Yes he should have taken his chance but he curved his run well to stay onside and at least he was there making the run....should have scored but what's the percentage of 1 on 1's that are converted ? it's not as easy as it looks sometimes.
Regarding leaving Furlong exposed, we don't know what his instructions are - he may have been told to stay up the pitch a bit and support HRK.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1264 on: January 02, 2020, 01:24:49 PM »

There was one incident in the second half where I blew my lid at Phillips.

He dawdled back leaving Furlong on a two on one - Kyle Bartley quite rightly gave him a verbal volleying.

Even after the initial cross was cleared, he was still ambling back towards his defensive duties.

Thankfully he was hauled off a couple of minutes later

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1265 on: January 02, 2020, 02:53:47 PM »
There was one incident in the second half where I blew my lid at Phillips.

He dawdled back leaving Furlong on a two on one - Kyle Bartley quite rightly gave him a verbal volleying.

Even after the initial cross was cleared, he was still ambling back towards his defensive duties.

Thankfully he was hauled off a couple of minutes later
If we can possibly get rid , then we should. Regrettably none of our players are ever in demand from other clubs, except of course our youngsters.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

P Anderson

• Site Donator
  • Junior Baggie

« Reply #1266 on: January 02, 2020, 03:22:03 PM »
Submariners go deeper

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1267 on: January 02, 2020, 03:25:10 PM »
Yes, I think he knows his position isn't under threat. When Diangana is fit he seems to raise his game even though he isn't direct competition but it seems to spur him on quite often.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1268 on: January 02, 2020, 03:56:15 PM »
For his general lack of fitness I would want another winger in the window. A confident Matty offers a lot going forward but far too often last night he couldn't or wouldn't get back.
Bilic could see it and pulled him for that reason.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1269 on: January 02, 2020, 04:15:10 PM »
I've never known a player especially of his size shy away from so many tackles. Unforgiveable for me. He can be unplayable on his day but sadly these days are few and far between.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1270 on: January 02, 2020, 05:15:22 PM »
His tackle dodging started the instant he got sent off in a game a few years back in the PL. Soon as he returned from suspension he was pulling out quicker than a fold out couch.

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1271 on: June 26, 2020, 11:22:44 PM »
Not even sure what to say anymore.... you get 1 or 2 great games out of 10 where he's unplayable, but then 8 or 9 where he just disappears or just runs around like a headless chicken not knowing what to do.

He's been frustrating to watch since the restart and looks tired (same with Livermore) after about 30 mins when he becomes totally ineffective.

I'd genuinely like to send for a shrink for Bilic if he starts him in the next game.
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1272 on: June 26, 2020, 11:26:25 PM »
A waste of a shirt number. Too afraid to tackle and even run.

JMullen95

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1273 on: June 26, 2020, 11:28:57 PM »
I’m more concerned about how bad he is with the ball than he is without it. Can guarantee every time he’s in the final third he’s going to pick the wrong option. But the manager has to take the blame for keep choosing to play him.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1274 on: June 26, 2020, 11:35:22 PM »
Nothing new , on and off the boil like an old kettle .
How he kept his place after Blues puzzles me

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.