Author Topic: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD  (Read 1310348 times)

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

Re: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD
« Reply #2325 on: December 09, 2018, 05:57:56 PM »
I fail to see why so many are so keen to get back to losing far, far more than we win and to be enmeshed in perennial battles against relegation unless it is because it gives them far more scope to find fault and moan?
If we get promoted with the current, aged, squad it aint going to be pretty and there is little to no prospect of the club spending big to reinforce the squad so I intend to enjoy to the full every moment of the current season in the moment and let the future worry about itself   
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2326 on: December 09, 2018, 06:19:19 PM »
I fail to see why so many are so keen to get back to losing far, far more than we win and to be enmeshed in perennial battles against relegation unless it is because it gives them far more scope to find fault and moan?
If we get promoted with the current, aged, squad it aint going to be pretty and there is little to no prospect of the club spending big to reinforce the squad so I intend to enjoy to the full every moment of the current season in the moment and let the future worry about itself   

The trouble is, if we stay down, I can see us losing our key players. We will end up with a poorer squad, and then you are on a slippery slope down the division, and we will have to cut back on our budget even further.  There's a whole list of ex Prem clubs that have gone that way, and it takes you sometimes decades to get back up again.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

tlms-p23

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2327 on: December 13, 2018, 02:08:09 PM »
Very good piece on Norwich and sheds light on what they're building and what us/the rest of the Championship are up against. 7 points feels like a lot after reading this!

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11709/11578660/norwich-top-of-the-table-stuart-webber-explains-how-it-happened

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2328 on: December 13, 2018, 04:11:17 PM »
Very good piece on Norwich and sheds light on what they're building and what us/the rest of the Championship are up against. 7 points feels like a lot after reading this!

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11709/11578660/norwich-top-of-the-table-stuart-webber-explains-how-it-happened

It's a massive shame that our club refuses to think outside the box and has a policy of targeting British based players. It started under Pulis, got us relegated, and yet we still seem insistent on it.

Norwich and Leeds both have foreign managers and have plenty of foreign players doing well, Wolves and Fulham p*ssed the league last season with foreign managers and large contingents of foreign players. Norwich had to cut costs last summer and ended up vastly improving their squad due to good scouting.

Yet we're sitting here hoping we can get an ageing Andy King in on loan because those at the club don't seem to have a clue about anything outside of English football. I long for the days of signing an Odemwingie, Mulumbu, Yacob or Olsson.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2329 on: December 13, 2018, 05:05:26 PM »

They seem to be light years away from us in their thinking. I was hoping relegation would be the catalyst for a major overhaul here. Sadly not the case.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2330 on: December 14, 2018, 07:55:50 AM »
It's a massive shame that our club refuses to think outside the box and has a policy of targeting British based players. It started under Pulis, got us relegated, and yet we still seem insistent on it.

Norwich and Leeds both have foreign managers and have plenty of foreign players doing well, Wolves and Fulham p*ssed the league last season with foreign managers and large contingents of foreign players. Norwich had to cut costs last summer and ended up vastly improving their squad due to good scouting.

Yet we're sitting here hoping we can get an ageing Andy King in on loan because those at the club don't seem to have a clue about anything outside of English football. I long for the days of signing an Odemwingie, Mulumbu, Yacob or Olsson.

me too, but for every one of them is a Blanco, El Ghannasay, Davidson and Krychowiak.
I agree we should be casting our net further and maybe we will in the summer, as you say it's the scouting that important
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2331 on: December 14, 2018, 08:31:45 AM »
me too, but for every one of them is a Blanco, El Ghannasay, Davidson and Krychowiak.

I don't think it's correct to add Krychowiak into this list. He was a Polish international at PSG, one of the richest clubs in the world at the time and still are, when we signed him. The others you mentioned will have had low impact in terms of any transfer fee or wages I presume and I think that's the point, you can get better value for money elsewhere. Would I focus all my recruitment on other markets, no probably not but we should be utilising it far more in spite of the Balnco's and Davidson's.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #2332 on: December 14, 2018, 10:53:10 AM »
I don't think it's correct to add Krychowiak into this list. He was a Polish international at PSG, one of the richest clubs in the world at the time and still are, when we signed him. The others you mentioned will have had low impact in terms of any transfer fee or wages I presume and I think that's the point, you can get better value for money elsewhere. Would I focus all my recruitment on other markets, no probably not but we should be utilising it far more in spite of the Balnco's and Davidson's.

Krychowiak has just played in all 6 groups games in the Champions League and 15 of the 17 league games for his side who are 5th in the Russian Premier so he must be doing something right, maybe he wasn't the issue and we were.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2333 on: December 14, 2018, 11:02:20 AM »
Krychowiak has just played in all 6 groups games in the Champions League and 15 of the 17 league games for his side who are 5th in the Russian Premier so he must be doing something right, maybe he wasn't the issue and we were.

We = TP ?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2334 on: December 14, 2018, 10:23:33 PM »
I agree we should be casting our net further and maybe we will in the summer, as you say it's the scouting that important

Bang-on.

For every success story with a club using new innovations, there's always teams where it doesn't work. Brentford were meant to be the next big thing but since getting to the Championship have stalled in recent years and have even gone backwards a little.

For what it's worth, I think Norwich may stagnate this season too; they're a bit like us earlier in the season and have a very gung-ho approach, which looks great when it works but they also like to concede too.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2335 on: December 14, 2018, 10:25:54 PM »
Norwich have had some very close shaves the ast few weeks, that will change at some stage this season.

Looking at tomorrow I might throw a tenner on a Stoke, Bolton and Bristol City treble!!  ;D
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2336 on: December 15, 2018, 03:13:27 PM »
Not a happy Christmas to Pulis, one down already and boro fans not happy,oh deary me.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2337 on: December 15, 2018, 03:55:12 PM »
Not a happy Christmas to Pulis, one down already and boro fans not happy,oh deary me.

No surprises there, it was clear in his time with us that he was done as a top level manager.

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2338 on: December 15, 2018, 04:28:47 PM »
God sake, leeds winning and the 6 point gap to first is back. Dear lord i hope norwich balls it up today :(

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2339 on: December 15, 2018, 04:38:12 PM »
Vile losing at home to Stoke...🤣

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2340 on: December 15, 2018, 04:44:23 PM »
Vile losing at home to Stoke...🤣

Or not...

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2341 on: December 15, 2018, 05:17:21 PM »
Boro have been well and truly Pulised, all of their foreign players ostracised, 4 massive slow defenders, only 3 attacking players on the pitch and playing awful football. Playoffs at very best.

For all of their injuries, Leeds don't look like slipping up, perks of having the best manager in the league.

Think both Villa and Stoke are dangerous going into the second half of the season, draw was a good result. Same goes for Derby and Forest who play on Monday.

Just leaves Norwich who really could do with having a bad run, hopefully starting tonight.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2342 on: December 15, 2018, 05:25:50 PM »
I wouldn’t judge Leeds on today playing one of the worst teams.

But them and Norwich limp over the line regularly with 1 goal margins.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2343 on: December 15, 2018, 06:16:33 PM »
Norwich 1 up.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2344 on: December 15, 2018, 06:22:28 PM »
One each  8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2345 on: December 15, 2018, 06:27:05 PM »
One each  8) .

Deservedly by the sound of it.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2346 on: December 15, 2018, 06:45:39 PM »
2-1 Bristol  8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2347 on: December 15, 2018, 07:27:41 PM »
Draw. Norwich aren't great.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2348 on: December 15, 2018, 07:56:50 PM »
Still think Villa Stoke and Swansea will be around the top six come the end of the season, its up to us to make good signings soon and keep it going to the season end.
Baggie in Southampton

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2349 on: December 15, 2018, 08:03:56 PM »
Still think Villa Stoke and Swansea will be around the top six come the end of the season, its up to us to make good signings soon and keep it going to the season end.

Not for me... Villa will be, but end up 7th to 10th.

Stoke under the attritional Rowett 12th-18th.

Swansea 10th and below.

Think it's us and one other for automatic promotion the top six completed by Leeds, Derby, Middlesbrough Forest and either Norwich or Sheffield United.