Author Topic: 19 Jan 2021 West Ham 2 Albion 1  (Read 15701 times)

gazberg

• WBA Coach

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #300 on: January 19, 2021, 08:08:56 PM »
1st goal WHU conceded in 5 games too or something like that

CL3MO

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #301 on: January 19, 2021, 08:09:02 PM »
Gave it our best shot, but in the end, we're just not very good. Lack of quality everywhere; hammered home by our options on the bench.

Pereria - quality goal. Gibbs did well and Grosiki was lively.

We're going to start being cut adrift soon though, with other teams having two games in hand and our next game being City.

That Fulham game is already looking like do or die...

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #302 on: January 19, 2021, 08:09:39 PM »
I think it was a decent performance from a relegation quality team. Left back and keeper that can’t cope with crosses and no defensive midfielder or goalscorer. Fix all of that and we’d be decent at this level.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #303 on: January 19, 2021, 08:09:50 PM »
After 7 games, I did expect to see some improvement in our defensive record. Instead, goals conceded per game is actually worse than under Bilic. Once again, both of West Ham's goals came from high balls into the box. It's been a problem for a few years now, ever since we lost Dawson to be honest.

I'm not really convinced that a couple of additions in the next few weeks is going to change this team from one that allows over 2 goals per game to one that can have a 2nd half of the season run of form that would see us in the top 10 of the form table (because that is what we will need to make up the huge gap on those above us).
Boing Boing

SirTonyM

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #304 on: January 19, 2021, 08:09:57 PM »
At the end of the day we have no points to show for that. The snodgrass transfer is farcical too.
Even with 3 players we need 6 or 7 wins from the last 18...

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #305 on: January 19, 2021, 08:10:30 PM »
How come that the other teams has Moses laying for them?
It seems that our defence just parts and lets their players through.

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #306 on: January 19, 2021, 08:11:08 PM »
Can't agree....this lot are 2 points of 4th on an amazing run and we've pushed them all the way. We would have lost that game 5 nil 3 weeks ago. Lots of positives, we know the current team isn't good enough...few quality additions and we'll have a good go at staying up.

Unfortunatly we didnt push them all the way.
Gera, Gera, Gera

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #307 on: January 19, 2021, 08:11:27 PM »
I think it was poor too.

We didn’t look like we would concede 5, so in some respects it was an improvement, but we never looked particularly good either, or like winning the game.

West Ham were fairly complacent yet were still quite comfortable. Moyes would have hit the roof if we’d snatched something and I don’t think will be happy with their performance.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #308 on: January 19, 2021, 08:12:36 PM »
Well we have at least regained the position pre Allardyce where we are in games so that’s progress I guess. Hopefully with more training we will start to improve further.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #309 on: January 19, 2021, 08:12:52 PM »
Was quite alarming when OShea cleared off the line as SJ was in no hurry to get back to his feet.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #310 on: January 19, 2021, 08:13:53 PM »
I think it was poor too.

We didn’t look like we would concede 5, so in some respects it was an improvement, but we never looked particularly good either, or like winning the game.

West Ham were fairly complacent yet were still quite comfortable. Moyes would have hit the roof if we’d snatched something and I don’t think will be happy with their performance.

West Ham we’re very conservative and cautious which helped us and we still conceded twice.

alex1

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #311 on: January 19, 2021, 08:14:11 PM »
We can't seem to block crosses coming in. Both their goals came as a result. Given the number of crosses we allow in every match, its inevitable some will result in goals.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #312 on: January 19, 2021, 08:14:24 PM »
We were most certainly NOT very very poor, but we were definitely lacking.

Tonight as with the Dingles match we have started to look like a team again... and there is a little bit more bite about us. We've got a long way to go and like others I do fear it might be too little too late - but if SA gets a few useful signings in we are still in with a chance I feel.

A couple of other clubs could go on a bad run too. I don't need to be told we need to improve but we also could do with a rub of the green like we had in 2005.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #313 on: January 19, 2021, 08:16:03 PM »
I think we looked organised and better as a team. Individual errors cost us.

Ajayi, Livermore, Robinson all not good enough in my humble and it’s those 3 that need to be replaced.

Can see a DCM and CF coming in but I think this is the central defence we’ll be going forward with.

Can’t keep needing 3 goals to win.
Dexy : kris_boing : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Singhwba

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #314 on: January 19, 2021, 08:16:21 PM »
Not a bad performance, but ultimately still come home with 0 points.
Individual mistakes again, you cant let a ball drop in the box if youre a defender like we let the ball bounce for their 2nd.
Feel if we had a big target man up front we wouldve atleast got a draw, wouldve relieved the pressure we was under rather then attack after attack.
2 missed chances at the end for us to equalise too.
Were going in the right direction but is it too little too late.
Need minimum 3 players if we are going to have a chance.
I said 6 points from these 4 games, so that makes sheff utd and fulham both must wins.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #315 on: January 19, 2021, 08:17:49 PM »
Feeling frustrated to be honest, thought after Saturdays result we might get something out of this game. Performance was better but again individual mistakes cost us, we look a totally different team when we are on front foot. Need a forward who can hold ball up.

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #316 on: January 19, 2021, 08:18:48 PM »
He just hates Allardyce i think.

I actually like him but I am able to see our shortcomings as a team and today we were poor.
Gera, Gera, Gera

Groovephil

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #317 on: January 19, 2021, 08:19:11 PM »
Tonight was all about quality, we just don’t have enough but we can compete.

You’re looking at 4 more players to have any chance of survival really.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #318 on: January 19, 2021, 08:19:37 PM »
We were most certainly NOT very very poor, but we were definitely lacking.

Tonight as with the Dingles match we have started to look like a team again... and there is a little bit more bite about us. We've got a long way to go and like others I do fear it might be too little too late - but if SA gets a few useful signings in we are still in with a chance I feel.

A couple of other clubs could go on a bad run too. I don't need to be told we need to improve but we also could do with a rub of the green like we had in 2005.

I agree with this. I thought, at times, we were unrecognisable from the team at the start of the season and looked comfortable and confident on the ball. But we still have along way to go.
My posts are my personal views and any links or external inclusions are not necessarily an endorsement by me.
I'm an ordinary bloke with no hidden agenda, here just to enjoy all things Albion etc.

It's all about opinions, so don't shoot the messenger if he/she has a different view to you!

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #319 on: January 19, 2021, 08:20:24 PM »
Can't agree....this lot are 2 points of 4th on an amazing run and we've pushed them all the way. We would have lost that game 5 nil 3 weeks ago. Lots of positives, we know the current team isn't good enough...few quality additions and we'll have a good go at staying up.
I would agree with this apart from the bit about staying up. Sadly I think we'll leave those additions too late (if we haven't already). However, at least tonight we looked like a team that deserved to be playing Premier League football rather than an embarrassing make weight that every side looks to boost its goal difference against.

Plastic Paddy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #320 on: January 19, 2021, 08:23:24 PM »
Thought we played ok in patches tonight, but yet again gave away 2 very poor goals and you can't keep doing that if you want to win matches. On the plus side, we scored our first goal from open play since Furlong scored against Newcastle on 12 December (I'm not counting the Man City goal as this was an OG)  :P

I do however think that we are not far away from being a decent side at this level. A commanding centre half (to replace Ajayi), defensive midfielder and a strong/quick striker and we may have half a chance.

Some big games coming up! Over the next 8 games we play Fulham (H), Sheff Utd (A), Burnley (A), Brighton (H) and Newcastle (H). Need to start picking up wins.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #321 on: January 19, 2021, 08:23:31 PM »
I agree with this. I thought, at times, we were unrecognisable from the team at the start of the season and looked comfortable and confident on the ball. But we still have along way to go.

We’ve looked competitive away from home for most of the season. It’s at the Hawthorns we’re recently been playing like a pub team.

gazberg

• WBA Coach

« Reply #322 on: January 19, 2021, 08:24:30 PM »
I actually like him but I am able to see our shortcomings as a team and today we were poor.

Fair enough bud i completely disagree. We weren't amazing but aside from Ajayi gift and Gibbs weak we did ok. Not the first time i've said either of those things this season nor the last i fear.

3 signings or more and we will have a chance.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #323 on: January 19, 2021, 08:24:41 PM »
The annoying thing is we aren't far off now , that was a well drilled / expensive squad playing typical Moyes football from his Everton era .
I worry this will be as far as we go if they don't get some players in though .
Dexy : kris_boing : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

alex1

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #324 on: January 19, 2021, 08:25:07 PM »
We need to play like we did at the start of the second half. Less long balls forward and more building moves from midfield. We have 3 decent midfielders in Pereira, Gallagher and Snodgrass who can craft openings. We need to get them on the ball instead of trying to knock it long which 90% ends up losing possession. The possession statistics don't lie.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure