Author Topic: 27 Dec 2020 Liverpool 1 Albion 1  (Read 48540 times)

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #400 on: December 27, 2020, 06:43:06 PM »
It was tactically perfect. Even when we kicked off all our team was over one side of the pitch in order to condense the space.

5-5-0 first half, stay in the game then start of the second half Grant stayed up the  pitch then as the game went on Robinson joined him. Playing the ball forward early and into the space behind.

Allardyce got it absolutely spot on.

Have to agree to disagree - I mean, if we'd looked better defensively first half then fair enough but we were all over the shop with no outball.  We conceded so much possession and territory in the 1st half Liverpool will be kicking themselves that they didn't get more than 1.  Concede that much to a team like Liverpool and you've got to be lucky.  Hey, maybe a lucky manager is what we need.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #401 on: December 27, 2020, 06:43:47 PM »
It was tactically perfect. Even when we kicked off all our team was over one side of the pitch in order to condense the space.

5-5-0 first half, stay in the game then start of the second half Grant stayed up the  pitch then as the game went on Robinson joined him. Playing the ball forward early and into the space behind.

Allardyce got it absolutely spot on.

You're fighting a losing battle.

We play the full 90 as we did 2nd half it finishes 4 or 5.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #402 on: December 27, 2020, 06:44:45 PM »
Liverpool have won 32 of the last 33 home games.

That shows how good a result that is.

Andy Robinson quite fair in his assessment pod match, wonder what Klopp will say.

Conversely, that's our third straight trip to Anfield without defeat.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #403 on: December 27, 2020, 06:46:12 PM »
Dire first half , very good 2nd half. Much better when you show some attacking intent. With their problems at CB Liverpool are nowhere as good if you are prepared to get at them ( see Fulham and Villa for details), sit back and they are likely to muller you (see Roy for details)
Just bloody glad Charlie didn’t whack the ball in after it had hit the post , he was offside ! Great save from Johnstone ,2nd half probably Sawyers best 45 this season . Gibbs MoM for me as much for his quiet but effective organising
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Groovephil

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #404 on: December 27, 2020, 06:47:56 PM »
That’s what a manager with serious tactical drilling will get you. Fair play to the coaching staff and players, I never saw that coupon buster coming!

We add 3 or 4 in jan and put a run together we just might have a chance.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #405 on: December 27, 2020, 06:48:13 PM »
I was clear that we sat too deep and was just about holding on - you were happy with that.

Second half we took the game to Liverpool and the improvement was a million percent.  Like I said, we don't need to set up like a pub team out of its depth.  We are better than that.

We weren’t just holding on.

The first 15 minutes was a bit rocky but from thereafter we were relatively comfortable.

They had one shot on target which was the goal. Not exactly holding on really..
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #406 on: December 27, 2020, 06:49:29 PM »
Don't worry about possession
3 shots on target to their two.
The first time an away team has had more attempts on target for over two years
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #407 on: December 27, 2020, 06:50:09 PM »
Fantastic point. It looks like he is sorting the defence out.  Resolute and disciplined and Liverpool didn't open us up too many times. Though a very similar performance to the Man City game. 
I'm pleased we were a little bit more adventurous second half. Though we were very bunched together when attacking. Incredible how that header from Ajayi spun off the post and went in, as it looked like it was bouncing back out again. But we deserved that bit of luck. COYB!!!
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #408 on: December 27, 2020, 06:52:22 PM »
Was playing Fifa 21 so how did we play overall I heard both goals good result. 
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

Brooklynbaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #409 on: December 27, 2020, 06:52:26 PM »
Great result, I was wrong, never saw that coming.
Second half we threatened and got the result our performance deserved.
Well done boys and we’ll done SA.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #410 on: December 27, 2020, 06:52:47 PM »
Top performance. Credit to Sam Allardyce.

Notable performances from Furlong, Ajayi, Gallagher, Sawyers, Grant but MOTM was O’Shea.

Pereira also assists.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #411 on: December 27, 2020, 06:54:08 PM »
While the first half wasn’t expansive or great to watch surely you earn the right to play. It was only 1-0 and that gives you something to build on. Also maybe Sams half time team talk was a actually to make the point to play higher up the pitch.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #412 on: December 27, 2020, 06:54:36 PM »
5/6 points off safety, 1 win all season, relying on a centre back to snatch a goal. It's a massive task to even have a chance of staying up. We have followed all of our great away performances this season against the bigger teams with abject results against mid table sides. So let's see what we can do against Leeds. If we get hammered again then today doesn't mean much.
That's it mate look on the downside
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #413 on: December 27, 2020, 06:56:29 PM »
Sam saying how he had to change it towards the end of the first half as we had no out ball so pushed Grant up.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #414 on: December 27, 2020, 06:56:45 PM »
Man of the match goes to Dara O’Shea - an imperious performance from the centre half. Excellent.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #415 on: December 27, 2020, 06:59:19 PM »
That's it mate look on the downside

I don't get too down or up, I try and keep level headed. I'm delighted with the point today BUT in terms of the table and avoiding relegation to need to win games against the teams against us. So if we can beat Leeds, then I'll start getting excited. Still so much work to be done just to get ourselves level with the teams around us. Morale booster today, big time which I'm hoping with give the players the belief they need to get going.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #416 on: December 27, 2020, 07:00:49 PM »
Klopp struggled with his back hand compliment again tonight but who cares. That second half really was good. Giving it a go and catching them out, even threatening to win near the end. It means nothing if Leeds turn us over next but i've enjoyed that tonight.
Boing Boing

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #417 on: December 27, 2020, 07:01:02 PM »
Sam saying how he had to change it towards the end of the first half as we had no out ball so pushed Grant up.

Correct. First half was like the siege of the alamo until Liverpool got complacent and starting passing the ball sideways. Second half the balance was just right.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #418 on: December 27, 2020, 07:03:06 PM »
I don't get too down or up, I try and keep level headed. I'm delighted with the point today BUT in terms of the table and avoiding relegation to need to win games against the teams against us. So if we can beat Leeds, then I'll start getting excited. Still so much work to be done just to get ourselves level with the teams around us. Morale booster today, big time which I'm hoping with give the players the belief they need to get going.

I agree with you - as great as today is it’s no good if we’re not getting points from the sides around us.

Today is a foundation, but we need some building blocks on top of them..

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #419 on: December 27, 2020, 07:03:51 PM »
That felt a lot more comfortable than the Man City draw to be fair.

Steps taken in the right direction in a short space of time. Get a few solid lads in to balance the team and we can stay up.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #420 on: December 27, 2020, 07:04:04 PM »
Man of the match goes to Dara O’Shea - an imperious performance from the centre half. Excellent.

He's been outstanding since moved to centre back in a four. Even against Villa he was the one to come out with credit. Seems he's adjusted to the Premier League now. Really good player.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #421 on: December 27, 2020, 07:06:02 PM »
Very pleased with the result tonight and thought our performance in the second half was worthy of the draw.

Plenty to feel optimistic over 👍🏻

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #422 on: December 27, 2020, 07:06:13 PM »
Yes big shout out to Dara. Great again.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #423 on: December 27, 2020, 07:10:39 PM »
Yes big shout out to Dara. Great again.

I didn't notice Dara much, which is a good sign, as he keeps it simple and gets the job done without fuss. His positional sense and defensive instinct seem good. I'm not sure how much pace he has, i.e. how he would get on if we had to push up the pitch against a pacy striker. He is definitely a natural centre back, rather than a right back. Credit to him for looking so decent out of position last season and for scoring as few. He deserves his chance now at centre back to show everyone what he can do.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #424 on: December 27, 2020, 07:14:12 PM »
Very simple if at any point Liverpool had gone 2 up game over. To an extent staying in the game is a tactical masterclass and it worked as it has in the past.

To some extent this result and the unexpected one against City claws back some of the points left on the table against teams like Fulham, Burnley and Brighton.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.