Author Topic: Callum Robinson  (Read 173999 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Callum Robinson
« Reply #600 on: April 13, 2021, 03:28:08 PM »
No they weren't.  Show me any chances that were created?  We had nothing and sat too deep, look at the match thread, everyone was saying the same.

Why would I look at the match thread? I watched the game. Yesterday wasn't his day, and would have been entirely forgotten if not for the excellent goal he scored. He should still start against Leicester. Phillips shone yesterday along with AMN, MP and Diagne. Robbo was largely on the periphery and could have no complaints when he was substituted.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #601 on: April 13, 2021, 03:48:56 PM »
Robbo has shown he is worthy of being given a chance. The team badly needs midfielders who can put the ball in the net clinically. I can think of quite a few Albion midfielders where it seems like 30 matches is needed before they manage to score, even once.
What he's good at is making runs forward into the box. That can be alot more deadly than a striker standing on the edge of the box waiting for the ball to reach him. But it needs midfielders and wingbacks who can spot his runs.   
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #602 on: April 13, 2021, 03:49:34 PM »
Why would I look at the match thread? I watched the game. Yesterday wasn't his day, and would have been entirely forgotten if not for the excellent goal he scored. He should still start against Leicester. Phillips shone yesterday along with AMN, MP and Diagne. Robbo was largely on the periphery and could have no complaints when he was substituted.

Substituted for the abysmal HRK when there was a big drop off in our attacking threat.

Robinson was a nuisance all night, dragging their defenders around and creating space.  It was a decent performance apart from the goal.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #603 on: April 13, 2021, 03:54:12 PM »
Substituted for the abysmal HRK when there was a big drop off in our attacking threat.

Robinson was a nuisance all night, dragging their defenders around and creating space.  It was a decent performance apart from the goal.

Well that didn't happen soooooo...

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #604 on: April 13, 2021, 04:02:00 PM »

Today is clearly not your day! You've got a real downer on Callum Robinson and that's plain to see.

Robinson was great and his goal was another fantastic run and finish.

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #605 on: April 13, 2021, 04:05:40 PM »
In my ‘umble opinion, Callum Robinson brings a lot more to the team than Gallagher who often seems to run around like a headless chicken.

Callum should be one of the first names on the team sheet alongside Sam Johnstone but certain posters would never accept that they might be clearly wrong.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 04:09:39 PM by TheBaggieMan »
West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #606 on: April 13, 2021, 04:18:25 PM »
Today is clearly not your day! You've got a real downer on Callum Robinson and that's plain to see.

Robinson was great and his goal was another fantastic run and finish.

Not remotely true, worth his place in the team on current form. Wasn't great yesterday aside from the excellent goal I've now mentioned several times.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #607 on: April 13, 2021, 04:28:40 PM »
Not remotely true, worth his place in the team on current form. Wasn't great yesterday aside from the excellent goal I've now mentioned several times.
I think the point is that nobody agrees with you about this. He played well for the whole time he was on the pitch, as explained very eloquently by several posters.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #608 on: April 13, 2021, 04:34:32 PM »
I think the point is that nobody agrees with you about this. He played well for the whole time he was on the pitch, as explained very eloquently by several posters.

No he didn't. He had a good first half but his game dipped in the second. Good goal though. I like Robinson and was disappointed to see him replaced by HRK. I thought Sam may have given either Grant or Diangana a run out.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #609 on: April 13, 2021, 04:59:04 PM »
No he didn't. He had a good first half but his game dipped in the second. Good goal though. I like Robinson and was disappointed to see him replaced by HRK. I thought Sam may have given either Grant or Diangana a run out.

I don't think Robbo played particulary badly in the second half, like I said, all of our attacking threat stopped because we decided to sit back - none of the attack looked good in that half.  That was down to the tactics that Sam said we used. 

Checking the stats out...

First half we had 51% possession.  Second half 30%.
First half shots 15, second half, 2.
Pass success first half, 74%, second half 58%. 

Pierera had 3 shots first half, none second half.  His possession went from 5.6% to 2.6% (Robbo's was similar 5% to 2.2%, but had 1 shot in each half). 
Diagne went from 2.8% possession to 1.4% possession and 1 shot to 0 shots.

This idea that Diagne and Pierera still carried an attacking threat and it was Robbo struggling isn't true.  We offered nothing going forward until the goal, and it's a goal wouldn't have happened if Gallagher had got on the pitch a few minutes earlier.  If you look at the heat map for the game most of our attacking play was down the left hand side where Robinson and Pierera combined.  Just seems harsh for some fans to single Robinson out despite when he plays we look much more of a threat.

Agree about Grant or Diangana getting a run out, no idea why he prefers Kanu.  He doesn't offer anything except falling over.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #610 on: April 13, 2021, 05:06:24 PM »
I don't think Robbo played particulary badly in the second half, like I said, all of our attacking threat stopped because we decided to sit back - none of the attack looked good in that half.  That was down to the tactics that Sam said we used. 

Pierera had 3 shots first half, none second half.  His possession went from 5.6% to 2.6% (Robbo's was similar 5% to 2.2%, but had 1 shot in each half). 

This idea that Diagne and Pierera still carried an attacking threat and it was Robbo struggling isn't true.  We offered nothing going forward until the goal, and it's a goal wouldn't have happened if Gallagher had got on the pitch a few minutes earlier.  If you look at the heat map for the game most of our attacking play was down the left hand side where Robinson and Pierera combined.  Just seems harsh for some fans to single Robinson out despite when he plays we look much more of a threat.

Agree about Grant or Diangana getting a run out, no idea why he prefers Kanu.  He doesn't offer anything except falling over.

I don't think he played badly in the second half either, but his performance definitely dipped. As for us dropping deep it was noticeable that Southampton's full backs had clearly been instructed to push on more than during the first half. They committed more bodies for more time. It was inevitable we'd concede both space and possession.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #611 on: April 13, 2021, 05:07:41 PM »

Yes, yours was one of the eloquent posts I alluded to in my reply to Jacko earlier. Your analysis of the game is both accurate and evidenced.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #612 on: April 13, 2021, 05:09:21 PM »
Well he was only on the pitch for less than half of the second half, and he wasn't replaced by HRK, but other than that....

He was replaced because his performance had dropped off. As for who replaced him I blame my over exuberant consumption of Staropramens, they were flying down by that point  ;D .

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #613 on: April 13, 2021, 05:12:26 PM »
He was replaced because his performance had dropped off. As for who replaced him I blame my over exuberant consumption of Staropramens, they were flying down by that point  ;D .
As was mine when I claimed he was on the pitch for less than half of the second half. At least we can admit when we get something wrong, ;D

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #614 on: April 13, 2021, 05:15:35 PM »
As was mine when I claimed he was on the pitch for less than half of the second half. At least we can admit when we get something wrong, ;D

Fair play Timdon  8) .

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #615 on: April 13, 2021, 05:17:40 PM »
I don't think he played badly in the second half either, but his performance definitely dipped. As for us dropping deep it was noticeable that Southampton's full backs had clearly been instructed to push on more than during the first half. They committed more bodies for more time. It was inevitable we'd concede both space and possession.

Sam said we dropped deep under orders.  By doing that we conceded ground and allowed them to push the full backs on.  Just feels a bit harsh for Robinson to be singled out.  If we were saying that any of the attackers could have been taken off as they weren't getting a kick then I'd agree. 

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #616 on: April 13, 2021, 05:45:07 PM »
Sam said we dropped deep under orders.  By doing that we conceded ground and allowed them to push the full backs on.  Just feels a bit harsh for Robinson to be singled out.  If we were saying that any of the attackers could have been taken off as they weren't getting a kick then I'd agree.

I'm (ed: not  ;D ) singling him out. I'm a fan of Robinson. It frustrated the hell out of me when Bilic used to replace him with HRK. It then got under my skin when Allardyce preferred HRK to him from the bench.

If the heat map you mentioned earlier was the one from the BBC website then it was of the first half when I felt Robinson did his best work, second half goal notwithstanding.

I didn't know we'd dropped back under instruction as I haven't read any of Sam Allardyce's post match comments, but it was very noticeable that Southampton changed things around from the off for the second half.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 07:01:26 PM by SmethDan »

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #617 on: April 13, 2021, 07:21:27 PM »

Your favourite bloke, Sam Allardyce doesn't agree with you. He singled out Robinson in his post-match interview to lavish praise on him.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #618 on: April 13, 2021, 07:45:58 PM »
Your favourite bloke, Sam Allardyce doesn't agree with you. He singled out Robinson in his post-match interview to lavish praise on him.

This means he will probably freeze him out again for the next games

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #619 on: April 13, 2021, 08:48:36 PM »
This means he will probably freeze him out again for the next games

I don't think so. Have a look at the managers interview on the official site. He praised Robinson as a goalscorer, and said how vital that was. I think the penny has finally dropped that it was madness to freeze him out for two months in favour of HRK.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #620 on: April 13, 2021, 10:03:15 PM »
Can we stop this your favourite / your mate routine .
Not a good look at all .
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 10:15:57 PM by Dexy »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #621 on: April 13, 2021, 10:09:50 PM »
Can we stop this your favourite / your mate routine .
Not a good look at all .

Fair enough, but it wasn't intended as a dig, I quite like Sam Allardyce at the moment as well, he's doing a great job.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 10:15:34 PM by Dexy »

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #622 on: May 30, 2021, 11:03:39 AM »
Sent home from Republic of Ireland duty following an injury to his Achilles according to the article linked below........

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57284690

.......no hints as to how serious it is, but what with us being linked to Chris Wilder this lad's in for a potentially very miserable summer following on from our very miserable relegation and his wage flex down.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #623 on: May 30, 2021, 01:40:42 PM »
Sent home from Republic of Ireland duty following an injury to his Achilles according to the article linked below........

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57284690

.......no hints as to how serious it is, but what with us being linked to Chris Wilder this lad's in for a potentially very miserable summer following on from our very miserable relegation and his wage flex down.

He seems to have truly rotten luck.

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #624 on: May 31, 2021, 11:02:36 AM »
He seems to have truly rotten luck.

Hope he is alright. A couple of friendlies for Ireland so possibility of playing safe. Was interesting in his interview after victory over Chelsea where he stated it was nice to get away and refresh with the Ireland squad; when it is one of Ireland's most demoralising set of games for well over a decade.