Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 668191 times)

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #1875 on: September 30, 2020, 06:50:00 PM »
Yeah I don't hate the guy at all. He seems like a thoroughly decent bloke from his charity work etc on Twitter. It's just that he's not a very good GK and he's costing us points so I'dike to see another GK get a chsnce.

Nothing more, nothing less.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1876 on: September 30, 2020, 06:59:56 PM »
I don't think it's hate or hateful language so much as frustration. He's got the attributes to be a good goalkeeper and there are times when certain aspects of his game are (dare I say it) good. However it's rare in the extreme that everything comes together at once. Inconsistent goalkeepers tend to be treated with either indifference or stunned incredulity.

OK Dan maybe I am being a bit of a snowflake on his behalf regarding the names. Seems to be a bit of a 'thing' these days. But I have not seen much evidence of a good keeper in him. His distribution at times has been excellent, but sadly as you say, not consistent. The rest of his game has consistently been poor to the extent I sense a mistrust in him from the players in front of him. The options we have may or may not be an overall improvement but I don't think it would be too big a risk if Button were tried for a few games to find out.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1877 on: September 30, 2020, 07:12:33 PM »
Agree about the name calling, and a bit shocked with some of what appears to be hatred of SJ

I am glad you have raised this as it’s a matter we feel uncomfortable about and will continue to crack down on.

I think some will need to review the rules on abuse that gets distributed to our footballers.

It is quite saddening that we have some who are happy to refer to him as idiot, a clown and other such adjectives which we do not want on here.

http://westbrom.com/forum/index.php?topic=48.0

As always, criticism is fine, but let’s reign in our language somewhat..
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1878 on: September 30, 2020, 07:23:49 PM »
It is high time people stopped stabbing SJ in the back. He isn’t half as bad as many make out. Imagine what all this criticism is doing to his confidence. He surely reads this forum or at least is told about the comments.

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1879 on: September 30, 2020, 07:28:38 PM »
It is high time people stopped stabbing SJ in the back. He isn’t half as bad as many make out. Imagine what all this criticism is doing to his confidence. He surely reads this forum or at least is told about the comments.

Good point. Perhaps criticism regarding our goalkeeping woes should be directed at the coaching staff? Surely our goalkeeping coach should be working with SJ to improve his performance. I suggest that it could be cheaper to change the coach rather than the ‘keeper?

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1880 on: September 30, 2020, 08:54:21 PM »

What a load of nonsense. He's being stabbed in the front for being utterly inept. If was was half-way competent we - the team we support - would be sitting on three points not one. "He surely reads this forum" is one of the most tin-hat suggestions I've come across. He's lucky the fans were not allowed into the Hawthorns last weekend. He deserves all the criticism he is getting, no more or less than a reflection of his performance, which was terrible.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1881 on: September 30, 2020, 10:00:40 PM »
What a load of nonsense. He's being stabbed in the front for being utterly inept. If was was half-way competent we - the team we support - would be sitting on three points not one. "He surely reads this forum" is one of the most tin-hat suggestions I've come across. He's lucky the fans were not allowed into the Hawthorns last weekend. He deserves all the criticism he is getting, no more or less than a reflection of his performance, which was terrible.

I respect Bilic’s judgement more than your pathetic assassination

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1882 on: September 30, 2020, 10:09:14 PM »
Dress it up any way you want, it doesn't detract from the fact that he wouldn't be first choice keeper in any other team in this league.
Being 'nice' to him won't turn him into a worldly. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1883 on: September 30, 2020, 10:20:40 PM »

I'm 99% sure if fans had been in the grounds last 6 months the change would have been made already.

It would make Scott Darton look like a cake walk.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1884 on: September 30, 2020, 10:21:38 PM »
I respect Bilic’s judgement more than your pathetic assassination

Bilic was after a keeper a few weeks back. Ivo Grbic
We lost out to Athletico.
He knows there's a problem
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1885 on: September 30, 2020, 11:49:59 PM »
 >:( Watched Chelseas' first goal over and over at least 10 times different angles.

The ball was 2 metres inside the post...well in the reach of a dive...ball did deviate a fraction (but these balls always do and the keepers train with these balls).
SJ was "mesmerised" by the shot and watched it go in as it passed the 6 yard box and into the net...his feet did not move at all.

I rest my case on whether we need a change in keepers.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1886 on: October 01, 2020, 07:26:00 AM »
Bilic was after a keeper a few weeks back. Ivo Grbic
We lost out to Athletico.
He knows there's a problem
Despite fans criticism about our recruitment, I cannot belive we went after this keeper and he was the only one on the list?
So we must still be looking for a replacement first choice..
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1887 on: October 01, 2020, 08:52:30 AM »
Despite fans criticism about our recruitment, I cannot belive we went after this keeper and he was the only one on the list?

It's a case of priorities given the budget we have. We're desperate for strikers, we dont have enough money to go and bring in a top goalkeeper.

I think the club see young Josh Griffiths as a very special talent and it wouldn't surprise me if hes in the first team squad next season despite his age.

I have a feeling the club wont prioritise a goalkeeper if Griffiths keeps progressing as they expect him to.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1888 on: October 01, 2020, 01:03:20 PM »

I think you're right. Who was the fella that Bilic wanted but he went to a Spanish club? Regardless of who he was I think that supports your viewpoint.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1889 on: October 01, 2020, 01:09:54 PM »
I must say some of the comments in this thread about one of our own are truly pathetic. When did we get such a seal mentality?
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1890 on: October 01, 2020, 01:14:31 PM »
I must say some of the comments in this thread about one of our own are truly pathetic. When did we get such a seal mentality?

Generally the posts have been critical but pointing out where he is lacking rather than just saying he's ****.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1891 on: October 01, 2020, 01:24:31 PM »

Are we supposed to cheer on a useless keeper conceding goals he shouldn't, costing the team points? I support Albion and if he isn't replaced we are getting relegated. Why would we not be fuming at him for last week? It was a defining match in the season and should have been an historic win, he ruined it. If he costs us at Southampton this weekend do I come on here and pat him on the back?

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1892 on: October 01, 2020, 01:30:12 PM »
Are we supposed to cheer on a useless keeper conceding goals he shouldn't, costing the team points? I support Albion and if he isn't replaced we are getting relegated. Why would we not be fuming at him for last week? It was a defining match in the season and should have been an historic win, he ruined it. If he costs us at Southampton this weekend do I come on here and pat him on the back?
if he's playing against Southampton someone should have a word with Slaven.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1893 on: October 01, 2020, 01:33:26 PM »

Just because he's an Albion player doesn't make him immune to criticism. It's not about being negative about everything, it's about pointing out our problems because we think they can be improved upon.

Most people just want either Johnstone to get better, or for a better keeper to come in. Signs of the former are few and far between, so they're turning to the latter. This is not a 'pathetic' attitude, but one of ambition and improvement.

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1894 on: October 01, 2020, 01:51:32 PM »
It’s a sticky sticky situation with Sam ‘Stuck on his Line’  Johnstone
Seems we may be stuck with him.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 01:54:19 PM by TheBaggieMan »
West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1895 on: October 01, 2020, 02:33:33 PM »
What's the alternative, say nothing and pretend he's a good keeper?
This is a forum, not a terrace, it is the place where views should be aired, both negative and positive and, most of the negative posts have been honest, consistent and factual, so fail to see your point. You do seem to think it ok to call out and denigrate fans of 30,40,50 years though, whilst finding it inappropriate to criticise a player of 2 seasons.  ::)

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1896 on: October 01, 2020, 02:59:19 PM »
If you're reading this Sam then all of the very best for the weekend and the remainder of your time as a goalkeeper for West Bromwich Albion. Communicate with your defence, claim crosses, catch when you can, punch when you can't and most importantly of all....... don't drop anything.

Close angles, follow the flight of the ball at all times and stay sharp so you can get down nice and quick. Keep your body behind the ball where possible, gather it when you can and find your team mates when you kick or throw the ball clear (a general strength of yours in my opinion) and you should be fine.

The basics really, reading this forum would make for a much more enjoyable experience for all of us and yourself in particular. Cheers lad and all of the Baggies best once again. Onwards and COYB  8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1897 on: October 01, 2020, 03:27:16 PM »
If you're reading this Sam then all of the very best for the weekend and the remainder of your time as a goalkeeper for West Bromwich Albion. Communicate with your defence, claim crosses, catch when you can, punch when you can't and most importantly of all....... don't drop anything.

Close angles, follow the flight of the ball at all times and stay sharp so you can get down nice and quick. Keep your body behind the ball where possible, gather it when you can and find your team mates when you kick or throw the ball clear (a general strength of yours in my opinion) and you should be fine.

The basics really, reading this forum would make for a much more enjoyable experience for all of us and yourself in particular. Cheers lad and all of the Baggies best once again. Onwards and COYB  8) .
If he plays a blinder on Sunday now mate, you can name you price as the next goalkeeping coach  ;)

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1898 on: October 01, 2020, 04:26:42 PM »

That's what I call constructive criticism.  Fingers crossed - not yours Sam.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1899 on: October 01, 2020, 06:36:17 PM »
What's the alternative, say nothing and pretend he's a good keeper?
This is a forum, not a terrace, it is the place where views should be aired, both negative and positive and, most of the negative posts have been honest, consistent and factual, so fail to see your point. You do seem to think it ok to call out and denigrate fans of 30,40,50 years though, whilst finding it inappropriate to criticise a player of 2 seasons.  ::)

Criticism is fine and everyone is entitled to an opinion, even f it's came straight out of their backside. But there are a some posts on here where the poster has creamed themselves when he makes a mistake as it confirms their opinion (confirmation bias) of him rather than looking at things objectively.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA