Author Topic: Dingle watch - Anything Wolves  (Read 2091593 times)

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

Re: Dingle watch - Anything Wolves
« Reply #7400 on: January 18, 2020, 04:10:03 PM »
I seem to recall you asked for context when we discussed the merits of Ronaldo and Sala awhile back, go check, and it wasn’t about their weight  :)

Ps Sala will never approach Ronaldo’s achievements

As he sadly died last year, you are probably correct...Salah however  ;)

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7401 on: January 19, 2020, 11:00:55 AM »
as much as I hate them, they do have a cracking football team
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7402 on: February 20, 2020, 11:48:23 AM »
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7403 on: February 20, 2020, 12:22:58 PM »
as much as I hate them, they do have a cracking football team

They are not that great. They've only won one league game more than Villa this season. 8 wins from 26 games is hardly the Barcelona of Messi, Xavi, Iniesta etc.

They are however, extremely organised and difficult to beat.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7404 on: February 20, 2020, 01:07:37 PM »

They are not that great. They've only won one league game more than Villa this season. 8 wins from 26 games is hardly the Barcelona of Messi, Xavi, Iniesta etc.

They are however, extremely organised and difficult to beat.

I hate wolves mate , our proper derby to me , villa doesn’t even come close. Even I can’t rain on their parade , theve done a superb job over the past two seasons. Theve done more in this season and half then we did the whole time we were in the premier league . Their showing ambition something our owners never showed while being in the league . Our ambition was employing tony pulis who went onto destroy the club .

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7405 on: February 20, 2020, 01:13:11 PM »
TBF they have a net spend of around £150m over 3 seasons. I would expect to be where they are at the very least.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7406 on: February 20, 2020, 01:17:26 PM »
I hate wolves mate , our proper derby to me , villa doesn’t even come close. Even I can’t rain on their parade , theve done a superb job over the past two seasons. Theve done more in this season and half then we did the whole time we were in the premier league . Their showing ambition something our owners never showed while being in the league . Our ambition was employing tony pulis who went onto destroy the club .

What we didn't have was a massive pile of money and dodgy fingers in sport's agent's pies.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7407 on: February 20, 2020, 01:21:55 PM »
What we didn't have was a massive pile of money and dodgy fingers in sport's agent's pies.

We have a multi billionaire in charge mate 

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7408 on: February 20, 2020, 01:22:56 PM »
TBF they have a net spend of around £150m over 3 seasons. I would expect to be where they are at the very least.

Pulis spent over 40 million in one summer mate , so 150 million over 3 seasons isn’t that bad

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7409 on: February 20, 2020, 01:23:33 PM »

Plus we finished as high as eighth in the Premier League and pretty much gave up after we hit 40 points.

They show great ambition, Wolves, always have compared to us but they have a reputation at the moment that is higher than their merits deserve.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #7410 on: February 20, 2020, 01:23:48 PM »

Fair play to them.

They seem to get criticised for relying on Mendes but its worked.

Those who normally fire shots are doing so out of jealousy (not a pop at you).

I wish we had been just as inventive with our recruitment rather than signing the bag fulls of average dross
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7411 on: February 20, 2020, 01:24:56 PM »
Pulis spent over 40 million in one summer mate , so 150 million over 3 seasons isn’t that bad

Believe our NET spend over the 8 years in the PL was around £50-60m. So they've doubled our net spend in less than half the time.

Im not begrudging them. They have an ambitious board who are determined to see the club push on. Went from average attendance of 22,000 in the 16/17 season before the money to 31k every week now and a waiting list for season tickets.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 01:56:02 PM by gazberg »

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7412 on: February 20, 2020, 01:25:58 PM »

Plus we finished as high as eighth in the Premier League and pretty much gave up after we hit 40 points.

The show great ambition, Wolves, always have compared to us but they have a reputation at the moment that is higher than their merits deserve.

That’s the most frustrating thing mate we we’re finishing in the top ten regularly  yet we never pushed on and we never went all out for a cup competition either. We could have had what there doing now with just a little more ambition but we were happy to make up the numbers.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #7413 on: February 20, 2020, 01:26:08 PM »
Believe our NET spend over the 8 years in the PL was around £50-60m. So they've doubled our net spend in less than half the time.

Their net spend will be minimal when they sell one of Neves or Jimminez.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7414 on: February 20, 2020, 01:28:42 PM »
Their net spend will be minimal when they sell one of Neves or Jimminez.

Well their debt is £130m+ and will rise after this season so they need to but doubt Fosun will call it in.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 07:09:10 PM by gazberg »

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7415 on: February 20, 2020, 01:49:53 PM »
Fair play to them.

They seem to get criticised for relying on Mendes but its worked.

Those who normally fire shots are doing so out of jealousy (not a pop at you).

I wish we had been just as inventive with our recruitment rather than signing the bag fulls of average dross

Oh, I am jealous, don't worry about that.  The Mendes thing is still dubious though, an agent is not supposed to be in a position to control transfers so Wolves class him as an 'advisor'.  It's just a coincidence nearly half the squad and the manager are either on his books or associated with him..

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7416 on: February 20, 2020, 02:19:08 PM »
I am jealous of them yes, though if it was Villa I would be more so. In some ways it is admirable what they are doing, as they seem to be following a grand plan, however the issues I have are, the amended thing for me doesn’t seem that different to the Teves and Mascherano issue at West Ham with third party ownership.

The other thing with Wolves is that they are owned by an investment group, so it’s only concern will be getting a return on their money, so they have to get success.

Finally, Wolves always overstretch, be it a massive stand in the 70s that was a financial mill stone, or some dubious big money signings in the past. Their arrogance is always their downfall, they always overstretch then crash and burn. They are like Icarus, always flying too close to the sun.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7417 on: February 20, 2020, 02:27:06 PM »
I am not jealous of them at all. What have they won? No more than us, what have they achieved? No more than us. OK European football, but it's the lower level European football that we, as a business, decided it was in our best interests not to target.

26 league games and 18 of them without a win, that's the bread and butter, that's what you judge on.

Jealous of that? No. Seriously, no.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7418 on: February 20, 2020, 07:05:58 PM »
Have to agree with Atomic, they don't win enough games, but are well organised and hard to beat. A Portuguese Stoke City circa 2012.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7419 on: February 20, 2020, 09:32:12 PM »
Well I think it's safe to say they are in quarters

kevinr61

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #7420 on: February 20, 2020, 09:39:18 PM »
Have to agree with Atomic, they don't win enough games, but are well organised and hard to beat. A Portuguese Stoke City circa 2012.

6 points against the Champions this season...scoring 5 conceding 2. Don't remember Stoke doing that!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 10:33:43 AM by Hull Baggie »

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7421 on: February 20, 2020, 09:40:29 PM »
I keep reading about this 10,000 waiting list for season tickets, those of you living in the Black Country, are there more of them about now? I always thought our support was fairly similar.

buzzingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7422 on: February 20, 2020, 09:52:13 PM »
Well I think it's safe to say they are in quarters

Last 16, not the quarters.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7423 on: February 20, 2020, 10:00:40 PM »
I said to mates as early as last March that I fancied them to qualify for Europe and then make atleast the semi finals if the Europa league in 2020 and I said on here in the summer that only a tilt at the champions league places woupd stop them going very deep into the competition.

I'd LOVE to be proved wrong, but as we enter March, they are 4 points off a champions league place and into the last 16 of the Europa league. Hope they collapse on both fronts in the next month or so.
Boing Boing

Tony Goddens Gloves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7424 on: February 20, 2020, 10:10:19 PM »

Got to disagree mate. Villa is by far and away our proper derby. Back ine 70’s and early 80’s Wolves was just another game it was always Villa. But don’t get me wrong I can’t stand them but you have accept that they are doing really well considering the size of squad and amount of games  they have played. Like others have said we stalled and achieved nothing in 9 years we were in the prem