Author Topic: OUT ON LOAN THREAD  (Read 263740 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: OUT ON LOAN THREAD
« Reply #925 on: February 01, 2021, 09:43:38 PM »
Being sent back by two clubs in the space a matter of months isn't a good sign.....
Boing Boing

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #926 on: February 01, 2021, 10:11:30 PM »
Do Walsall not need a favour? :D
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #927 on: February 02, 2021, 09:04:03 PM »
Harper cant even get in a shocking Blues side. Neither can Leko for what it's worth.

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #928 on: February 02, 2021, 11:08:42 PM »
Harper cant even get in a shocking Blues side. Neither can Leko for what it's worth.

Maybe our young players or ex players arent as good as we think

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #929 on: February 02, 2021, 11:11:45 PM »
From what I’ve read, Harper had a decent enough cameo on his debut, tonight Karanka only made 1 substitution.

Early days, but if he is only used sparingly then this will be a real failure for the loans manager.
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #930 on: February 03, 2021, 09:38:04 AM »
Alex Palmer saved 3 penalties last night for Lincoln as they beat Hull in a shootout to reach the semi finals of the EFL trophy.
Boing Boing

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #931 on: February 03, 2021, 09:44:10 AM »
Alex Palmer saved 3 penalties last night for Lincoln as they beat Hull in a shootout to reach the semi finals of the EFL trophy.

He's surely good enough for the Championship. I'd cash in on Johnstone in the summer.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #932 on: February 03, 2021, 10:29:30 AM »

I think it is a little bit more complex than that.

We seem to be good at identifying talent and nurturing it until their first professional contract this is validated to some degree by international call ups and the fact that elite level clubs come along and nick some of the talent as soon as they can.

We don't seem to be particularly good and developing that talent from 16 through to 21. However the talent that has left us hasn't trained on particularly well either.

Now for context I think something like 70% of the players that sign professional contracts at 16 are no longer in the game by the time they are 23. The game breaks and discards young players at an alarming rate. Every shinning example of a 23 year old who is playing Premier League football having come through their club's academy played their under 18 football with at least 10 other players. Those players are for most part not professional footballers and those that are still in the game are about as far away from the Premier League as it is possible to be and the Championship is a decent outcome.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #933 on: February 03, 2021, 10:31:32 AM »
He's surely good enough for the Championship. I'd cash in on Johnstone in the summer.

If Johnstone continues his form his stock should be quite high in the summer, with one year left on his contract we will more than likely cash in.

We have Palmer who’s impressing and Griffiths just behind him who is also having a good season. If we keep Button/Lonergan on the books too I’d be happy to have Palmer as number 1 next year.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #934 on: February 03, 2021, 10:35:26 AM »
If Johnstone continues his form his stock should be quite high in the summer, with one year left on his contract we will more than likely cash in.

We have Palmer who’s impressing and Griffiths just behind him who is also having a good season. If we keep Button/Lonergan on the books too I’d be happy to have Palmer as number 1 next year.

We’ve just got to hope there is a club that needs a keeper. Everton are a maybe, promoted clubs aswell.

£10m might be the best we can hope for.
Boing Boing

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #935 on: February 03, 2021, 10:38:55 AM »
We’ve just got to hope there is a club that needs a keeper. Everton are a maybe, promoted clubs aswell.

£10m might be the best we can hope for.

Spurs will more than likely need a backup.
Everton may look to move on Pickford but imagine they’d want a bigger name.
Brighton
Any 3 of the promoted
Palace maybe
Sounds abit unrealistic but even a team like Liverpool could have a look at him to replace Adrian

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #936 on: February 03, 2021, 12:14:55 PM »
It does make you wonder. We seem to have an issue with intensity throughout the club and the young players coming through never look like they're busting a gut to impress. This certainly applies to Harper. I'll leave the defenders Ferguson and O'Shea out of that criticism...they have enough about them to have a good career in one of the top two divisions which isn't to be sniffed at.
The most energetic performance from one of our youngsters I've seen was Callum Morton at Northampton, would be nice to see his luck with injuries change but that's another common theme.

OhBilics

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #937 on: February 03, 2021, 06:32:47 PM »
Being sent back by two clubs in the space a matter of months isn't a good sign.....
It could be something as simple as homesickness. He's only 19.
#BOGOLO

PHP developer for hire. Apply within.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #938 on: February 03, 2021, 06:47:29 PM »
It could be something as simple as homesickness. He's only 19.

If it was home sickness, why would we send him out for a second time?

It could be something simple, but it's not a great look from the outside.
Boing Boing

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #939 on: February 03, 2021, 07:14:20 PM »
It's got certain charms but Newport would make many homesick.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #940 on: February 06, 2021, 03:43:51 PM »
Zohore with a goal from the penalty spot today

Sam Field not in the QPR squad today.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #941 on: February 13, 2021, 06:05:38 PM »
Harper (and Leko for that matter) getting pelters on Blues twitter. It's hard to go into a struggling team and make an impact, but Harper is running out of time now. He needs to take this chance.

If it doesn't work out over the next few months, we need to be brave and immediately loan him out to a league 1 club for the first part of next season.
Boing Boing

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #942 on: February 14, 2021, 08:59:28 AM »
Harper (and Leko for that matter) getting pelters on Blues twitter. It's hard to go into a struggling team and make an impact, but Harper is running out of time now. He needs to take this chance.

If it doesn't work out over the next few months, we need to be brave and immediately loan him out to a league 1 club for the first part of next season.

Are they performing badly or are they taking the flak for everything going on at Blues?  ::)

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #943 on: February 14, 2021, 09:41:26 AM »
Harper has only played 70 minutes in three sub appearances so to some extent it would seem he’s a victim of the circumstances. It doesn’t bode particularly well for him either though.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #944 on: February 14, 2021, 10:07:10 AM »
Blues are a mess they are managed Aitor Karanka who is the Spanish equivalent of Pulis. They are playing defensive attritional football, badly and have a squad that seems to have been assembled with no discernible purpose in mind. Throwing any young player at that situation and expecting a good outcome for player or club is a triumph of hope over expectation.

He has had just over an hour of football whatever is wrong with Birmingham City (plenty) it almost certainly not Harper's fault but to a section of fans it seems it is. This is pretty much my problem with relying heavily on loans for player development a bad loan is worse than no loan at all.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #945 on: February 14, 2021, 11:47:46 AM »
Out of all the kids we've ever brought through (other than Berahino) I've always held the most hope for Harper. I remember seeing him dominate Bournemouth on his debut in the PL at 16 years old...I don't understand how he's now struggling to get into the Blues squad?

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #946 on: February 14, 2021, 12:54:27 PM »
It's got certain charms but Newport would make many homesick.
Ha ha, it certainly is a unique place, not for the faint hearted
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #947 on: February 14, 2021, 06:25:10 PM »
I changed trains at Newport once, with half an hour to kill I walked across the road into town, I won't be rushing back in this lifetime.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #948 on: February 14, 2021, 06:38:51 PM »
Out of all the kids we've ever brought through (other than Berahino) I've always held the most hope for Harper. I remember seeing him dominate Bournemouth on his debut in the PL at 16 years old...I don't understand how he's now struggling to get into the Blues squad?
Remember his debut too...Unfortunately his development stalled due to lack of game times.
The PRIDE of midlands

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #949 on: February 15, 2021, 12:31:08 PM »
Palmer won player of the round for the Papa John’s Trophy quarter final. Saved 3 penalties in the shootout after a 1-1 draw against Hull City.