Author Topic: European Super League  (Read 3411 times)

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

European Super League
« on: July 05, 2013, 09:45:28 PM »
Mentioned in another thread and got me thinking...Good idea or not?

Its been banded about for ages but it is surely a matter of time. The money would be huge so i can imagine SKY pushing for it. There is a lot of support out there, from club president and ex-players.

If the top 6 went and formed a european super league, leaving 14 premier league clubs behind, do you think this would be a good for us and other english clubs left behind?

There would still be a hunger for it but the worldwide brand would be gone. The large sums of money would be gone. I think this would be very refreshing personally and look forward to a major shake up of football.

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

Re: European Super League
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 09:46:44 PM »
Mentioned in another thread and got me thinking...Good idea or not?

Its been banded about for ages but it is surely a matter of time. The money would be huge so i can imagine SKY pushing for it. There is a lot of support out there, from club president and ex-players.

If the top 6 went and formed a european super league, leaving 14 premier league clubs behind, do you think this would be a good for us and other english clubs left behind?

There would still be a hunger for it but the worldwide brand would be gone. The large sums of money would be gone. I think this would be very refreshing personally and look forward to a major shake up of football.

I think it would save the sport of English football. I don't give a stuff about the global appeal, it's an English league!

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 10:27:27 PM »
It'll be a sad day to see our league get torn apart to serve in some massive European super league just to financially better off those clubs and authorities above them. In addition, I would assume that the interest from the television companies in the Premier League would decrease leaving a lot of sides vulnerable with their mountains of debts after continuously spending beyond their means. The shake up and removal of the elite should then hopefully allow the gutless authorities to get a strangle hold of the league and place legislation which makes the league competitive and fair for everybody without the pressures of the current monopoly.

Which six clubs would leave? United, Chelsea, City, Arsenal, Tottenham, Liverpool?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 10:30:05 PM »
yeah i think so. the question is though. would there be promotion and relegation to and from the european super league from the english league? i would hope not.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 10:44:37 PM »
yeah i think so. the question is though. would there be promotion and relegation to and from the european super league from the english league? i would hope not.

I very much doubt it. Having the likes of West Bromwich Albion or dare I say Crystal Palace compete in their super league would make a mockery of the competition. Let them keep the rich boys.

Saying that, I wouldn't want us to compete in a competition which is wrong on so many levels.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 10:46:14 PM by LiamTheBaggie »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 10:38:02 AM »
There are a lot of barriers to the formation of a European Super League and if it were formed the money would drain out of the domestic leagues almost overnight bankrupting pretty much every club that wasn't in it. I like the idea of playing in a league where at the start of the season any side could win it but I am far from sure that would be what happens following the formation of a European Super League.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2022, 05:47:27 PM »
EXCL: New European Super League dossier details increasing  dominance by English clubs - “backed by hedge funds, public investment funds, sheikhs, oligarchs” - as urgent reason for new competition. New exec claims re-launch could take place within 3 years
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2022, 06:41:48 PM »
Heard something about this today suggesting no permanent places so some form of relegation and promotion would be in place.

Let’s face it though, if they allow it in to the calendar it will be a matter of time until they try to close the shop though.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2022, 03:22:37 PM »
EXCL: New European Super League dossier details increasing  dominance by English clubs - “backed by hedge funds, public investment funds, sheikhs, oligarchs” - as urgent reason for new competition. New exec claims re-launch could take place within 3 years

In that case it's only a matter of time before PSG win the EPL.

Remember, you heard it here first  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2022, 06:04:22 PM »
In that case it's only a matter of time before PSG win the EPL.

Remember, you heard it here first  ;D .

Had you named any other team, I would have agreed, but they would be relegation candidates ;D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2022, 10:56:30 PM »
The preliminary stage of the UEFA v Real Madrid/Barcelona/Juventus Court Case will have a result (well, recomendation)  tomorrow afternoon.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/uefa-super-league-real-madrid-barcelona-juventus-b2245128.html

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63968922

I've read the articles attached (sorry, no copy and paste due to being on mobile), but i'm still not 100% what it all means. In essence though, there will be an assessment of if UEFA are breaching EU competition law. Worst case, UEFA's bodies could be "broken up" which is appears is less likely. A similar ruling for Ice skating has already seemingly found in favour of the sporting body so hopefully something similar happens here. The likely outcome seems to be that there will be a ruling that does mean there will have to be some form of change to UEFA's rules. UEFA (and most European football fans) will be hoping they don't have to change too much.

For those who want to follow what the results actually mean, the below link might be useful. Borja Garcia is a sports governance expert and at the bottom of his thread he has listed a number of accounts who will be able to provide an analysis on whatever complicated recommendations are made.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DrBorjaGarcia/status/1603057052124848129
Boing Boing

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2022, 11:23:29 PM »
The preliminary stage of the UEFA v Real Madrid/Barcelona/Juventus Court Case will have a result (well, recomendation)  tomorrow afternoon.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/uefa-super-league-real-madrid-barcelona-juventus-b2245128.html

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63968922

I've read the articles attached (sorry, no copy and paste due to being on mobile), but i'm still not 100% what it all means. In essence though, there will be an assessment of if UEFA are breaching EU competition law. Worst case, UEFA's bodies could be "broken up" which is appears is less likely. A similar ruling for Ice skating has already seemingly found in favour of the sporting body so hopefully something similar happens here. The likely outcome seems to be that there will be a ruling that does mean there will have to be some form of change to UEFA's rules. UEFA (and most European football fans) will be hoping they don't have to change too much.

For those who want to follow what the results actually mean, the below link might be useful. Borja Garcia is a sports governance expert and at the bottom of his thread he has listed a number of accounts who will be able to provide an analysis on whatever complicated recommendations are made.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DrBorjaGarcia/status/1603057052124848129

My take on the ESL is a  lot of people who have no interest in Football but making as much money as they can will keep chipping away till they get what they want!

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2022, 09:41:59 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Initial recomendations in with a full explainer due later. In short, UEFA have comprehensively won. Agrees that if the clubs want to form a breakaway super league they can - but UEFA are free to kick them put of their comps.

I've never been more confident that the European Super league's hurdles are insurmountable. With English and German fan pressure combining with this ruling, I don't really know where Barca, Real and Juve now go. I just hope the rest of European football doesn't let them off the hook.
Boing Boing

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2022, 10:03:18 AM »

Initial recomendations in with a full explainer due later. In short, UEFA have comprehensively won. Agrees that if the clubs want to form a breakaway super league they can - but UEFA are free to kick them put of their comps.

OK but if the 20 or so top European clubs formed a league, wouldn't it degrade the EUFA competitions and wouldn't the money flow to the super league.  It's all about advertising and shirt sales etc - World TV would still want to broadcast the likes of Juve, Real and Citeh.  What kid in Africa is running around in a Crystal Palace shirt (unless he's been given it)?

The only impediment is the supporters themselves would they want or afford to be hopping on a plane to watch their side every other week?  What about midweek matches?  Ok for a cup but for a league?

Nevertheless I think national football would survive such a breakup.

Final thought: who really cares about the financial health of EUFA? It's just as corrupt as FIFA.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2022, 01:09:27 PM »
It doesn't stop the top clubs breaking away, but it does make it less likely.

The top clubs would have hoped that the EU would have found in their favour, ultimately that UEFA should not be able to ban clubs from domestic leagues if they join an independent competition. Had they done so, the big 6/7 in the Prem, plus PSG and Bayern would have known they could still have had the best of both worlds and might have been more inclined to go along if enough other sides did.

Now, those clubs will be less likely to take the gamble, leaving Barca, Real et al to need to convince the likes of Napoli, Inter, Bilbao etc to join them in a break away that would not include the big English, German and probably French sides and which would lead to expulsion from UEFA. It also makes it difficult for their argument that the league would not be a closed shop, as which clubs would want to be promoted in for a season knowing it would see them kicked out of domestic competition?

The threat hasn't gone, but it should force the rogue 3 to come back to the negotiating table as such.

As for caring about UEFA's financial health, I don't think that's really what we're discussing is it? What we're talking about is the right for UEFA to help protect the domestic leagues from these greedy break away clubs looking to take even more money from the poorer sides and strange 150 years of European club football.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 06:18:42 PM by Baggies »
Boing Boing

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2022, 01:36:27 PM »
Do we really care if these 'top clubs' breakaway?
Were a real club, a top club and a historic club, im tired of this talk, we'll still support WBA as will the remaing clubs in the divisions below us.
By the way these so called breakaway clubs should/would be banned from all domestic cups.

Baggie Crosser

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2022, 01:45:28 PM »
Well said liver baggie.
I really hoped they would succeed last time. Also a very hefty minimum amount(Twenty million pounds minimum?) should be mandatory for the Super League teams to pay when they come sniffing around wanting to steal Academy youngsters, and a %ge of this to go into a fund for lower league clubs to share from.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2022, 11:40:09 PM »
Do we really care if these 'top clubs' breakaway?
Were a real club, a top club and a historic club, im tired of this talk, we'll still support WBA as will the remaing clubs in the divisions below us.
By the way these so called breakaway clubs should/would be banned from all domestic cups.
I certainly hope its a flop. The football pyramid is what gives the smaller clubs hope. A US franchise closed shop model would make it impossible for clubs like ours to rise above a certain level. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2022, 11:55:31 PM »
Sorry as being Australian I may have missed a bit but..

Wouldn't any English club that joined a "Breakaway" competition be prevented from playing any Home matches?

Visiting sides would need Visas to enter England and without Domestic recognition of the Competition, wouldn't that be barred?

or is that just rules for down here..
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2023, 09:51:48 AM »
It is back on the agenda. FIFA/UEFA have lost a ECJ ruling as to their right to ban players and clubs from joining none FIFA/UEFA sanctioned competitions.

This leaves the football authorities without a legal basis of preventing a breakaway competition. To my mind this plays out one of two ways.

A full blown closed European League that replaces the Champions League but largely leaves domestic  competition unaffected. Although it would give the big6 a stranglehold over European level income to the obvious detriment of everyone else and having a major impact on the competitive nature of the EPL.

Or and I think this is a lot more likely the big clubs will use the potential threat of a breakaway to leverage a Champions League much more to their liking that will give them guaranteed places and a bigger share of the revenue that the competition generates.

However this pans out it is not a good day for football.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 10:11:25 AM by Standaman »

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2023, 10:56:43 AM »
Sounds like the gateway to something like the American franchises. If this means a 'closed shop' of big clubs with no promotion or relegation, it puts an end to dreams of 'smaller' clubs ever improving themselves. What's the point of competitive sport if you can't aim for the top?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 11:30:29 AM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2023, 11:42:59 AM »
As far as I can see there are only three clubs in favour of the breakaway league , those 3 being Real Madrid, Barcelona , and Juventus . I think the severity of the backlash from fans caught many of the clubs by surprise .
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2023, 12:35:39 PM »
As far as I can see there are only three clubs in favour of the breakaway league , those 3 being Real Madrid, Barcelona , and Juventus . I think the severity of the backlash from fans caught many of the clubs by surprise .

Yes I think the original plan is as dead as a door nail which is why I think the old tactic of threatening UEFA with a breakaway league will be the way they go. Fans won't be anyway as near as vociferous if the Big 6 get even more money secure places in Champions League etc...

Yet it will have a similar impact on the game.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2023, 01:07:49 PM »
i can see the Arab owners wanting to create a Europe / mid East / African super league

Clubs like
Al Hilal  - Saudi
Al Ahly - Egypt
Raja Club Athletic - Morocco
plus usual suspects from England / Germany / Spain / Italy

They have the cash and the fanbases to compete :-(
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!