Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1757650 times)

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #3050 on: September 23, 2014, 03:44:52 PM »
Also it was good to see us with a solid performance and a solid win without Mulumbu in the team. Mulumbu, I feel, hasn't really been at his best for a good while now and he, like Olsson, has had too easy a ride for too long. Hopefully Mulumbu will get a notch sharper now.

A spell on the sidelines should hopefully work wonders for Jonas. He needs his fire back.

Interesting that Olsson didn't travel with the team on Saturday. Maybe IR thought he needed moving out of the firing line altogether
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Baggieblood

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #3051 on: September 23, 2014, 05:14:25 PM »
Olsson's fire has never been an issue.

The rest of his game, especially his passing as been weak for a while.

Still, i was over the moon when he signed his new contract a couple of seasons ago and i'd back him to come back stronger and be the defensive rock alongside lescott.

What surprised me the most this season is the snubbing of the legend that is GMAC.

I saw him play the dingle reserves and he looked his normal self.

Maybe, time has caught up with him and that is evident to the management in training!

Hope not though, as he's a class act!!!

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3052 on: September 23, 2014, 06:14:00 PM »
It was nice to see Irvine show faith in Berahino and Dawson when it probably would have been an easier decision to pick Ideye/Anichebe and Olsson instead.

Also credit for ...wonder of wonders....we varied a corner, yes we took a short corner which ended with Gardner hitting a good strike on goal.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

spencer Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3053 on: September 23, 2014, 11:06:32 PM »
Love the photo of Irvine: http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/irvine-prepared-for-tough-calls-1934789.aspx

Looks as bored as Ive been with most of our displays this season.

As I've previously said, Burnley is a big test imo. I expect us to be more open and attacking in our play. Failure to do so, and another turgid display at home will not be acceptable.

Winning is the ability to go from one defeat to another with no loss of enthusiasm - Churchill.

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3054 on: September 24, 2014, 09:18:26 AM »
I fully expect us to go and attack both tonight and against Burnley. Irvine should in theory do well away from home and like Spurs would see us pick up some good results away from home. However we need to win home games starting tonight and again on Saturday.
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3055 on: September 24, 2014, 10:48:35 PM »
Can I just say a massive 'fair play' to AI.

Has come through the criticism and the last 2 performances have been excellent. It needs to continue.

Played some good stuff today, he needs to realise that Yacob needs to start, he is such a top quality player

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3056 on: September 24, 2014, 10:59:40 PM »
Can I just say a massive 'fair play' to AI.

Has come through the criticism and the last 2 performances have been excellent. It needs to continue.

Played some good stuff today, he needs to realise that Yacob needs to start, he is such a top quality player

Agree with this. Hopefully he will realise Yacob's qualities as he barely used Sessegnon near the start but after Sunday will now be aware of his impact.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3057 on: September 24, 2014, 11:37:39 PM »
Got to say - he played his two second half subs very well indeed. Putting Varela on needed to be timed perfectly because we couldn't give him too many minutes in account of extra time.

Well played Alan, make it a treble on Sunday!

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3058 on: September 24, 2014, 11:44:01 PM »
Well done AI, Sunday a big test to see how he will go with a winning team and strong competition for places.

It's so nice to be part of the league cup with a strong squad, can't remember the last time we had a quality "second team". Good work all round.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3059 on: September 25, 2014, 01:36:51 AM »
We did okay again tonight, BUT his substitutes got him out of jail (they were good substitutions as someone has said so credit for that). We were poor for most of the 2nd half and he was on a hiding to nothing having said he was taking it seriously only to make 11 changes.

Sunday is the key.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3060 on: September 25, 2014, 07:53:26 AM »
We did okay again tonight, BUT his substitutes got him out of jail (they were good substitutions as someone has said so credit for that). We were poor for most of the 2nd half and he was on a hiding to nothing having said he was taking it seriously only to make 11 changes.

Sunday is the key.
But we went through winning? Not much more that can be done. ???

Should now have better in sight on squad and who is first choice and when.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3061 on: September 25, 2014, 08:00:34 AM »
Another well done to all for the cup win.Sunday is the big one for me. We have to get a result and a performance at HOME against a team we would pencil in to beat when the fixtures came out.We have got to beat at Home teams around us without question.
I expect a 5 star performance
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Sessegod

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3062 on: September 25, 2014, 08:06:30 AM »
hope this cup run doesn't affect our league form
Even Cillit would have banged that one in..

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3063 on: September 25, 2014, 08:07:15 AM »
We've got a bit of momentum at the moment so hopefully we can carry that on against Burnley on Sunday.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3064 on: September 25, 2014, 08:08:11 AM »

???? Why should it, in effect two different teams!!

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3065 on: September 25, 2014, 08:32:44 AM »
Good result last night, shame it wasn't a league match though.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3066 on: September 25, 2014, 08:45:39 AM »

Sunday is the key.
I think this is a massive positive, he has been criticised, and rightly so, for his substitutions this season, but last night got it spot on. We looked pedestrian in the 2nd half with the players resigned to getting beat, he bought on Berahino and Varela and changed the pace of the game. Good on him.
Hull also made changes, but we were the better side overall, which suggests we have the edge when it comes to squad depth.
I have been very critical of Irvine and am far from convinced that he can take us to the next level, but, credit where it's due he is addressing a lot of the issues I and many others had following the first few games.
More of the same on Sunday please.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3067 on: September 25, 2014, 09:07:21 AM »
I think this is a massive positive, he has been criticised, and rightly so, for his substitutions this season, but last night got it spot on. We looked pedestrian in the 2nd half with the players resigned to getting beat, he bought on Berahino and Varela and changed the pace of the game. Good on him.
Hull also made changes, but we were the better side overall, which suggests we have the edge when it comes to squad depth.
I have been very critical of Irvine and am far from convinced that he can take us to the next level, but, credit where it's due he is addressing a lot of the issues I and many others had following the first few games.
More of the same on Sunday please.

I'm about in the same mind as this post. Sunday feels like a big match, three wins on the bounce would certainly put AI in a much more settled place and the team would surely start to build on confidence from there.

He's made better selections in the last two matches - partly because of, we're told, more match fitness - and we are certainly looking better.

Delighted about last night. Like all of us I want us to do as well as possible in the Prem, but we are SO long overdue a good cup run. Bring it on!
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Baggy nerd

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3068 on: September 25, 2014, 10:26:41 AM »
I do not get this. If you are referring to tiredness it should not be an issue. Firstly it was a completely different team. Secondly it is only a 38 match league season these days and Bournemouth will only be our 3rd cup match. The only chance they could take their eye off the league is if they got to the semi or final.

Rheneas

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3069 on: September 25, 2014, 11:03:02 AM »
Regardless of the team that was out there last night, it was a very good win and the spirit around the club will have been lifted higher.

It's all more credit in the bank for AI.

The Burnley game is the big one to watch now. We simply have to win this one.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3070 on: September 25, 2014, 12:17:19 PM »
Regardless of the team that was out there last night, it was a very good win and the spirit around the club will have been lifted higher.

It's all more credit in the bank for AI.

The Burnley game is the big one to watch now. We simply have to win this one.

I'd say it's more about AI's intent for the game, rather than the result.

Granted, I'd like a win, we all would. But if he names 3/4 good attacking players and the team plays with the want to score and win,
then that will be the signifier for me.

Should we go for it, get 18 shots on target and they have 3 but we draw 1-1, then i'll still take that as a good move (athough i will be annoyed at the time)

Some on here will use it to slam him, but short of a 5-0 win some will attack AI until he leaves.

There is no such thing as a must win at this stage, but the direction the team is going in is of great importance.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Silver Thostle

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #3071 on: September 25, 2014, 12:52:40 PM »
Really pleased about the result, even though we left it left.

Still have reservations, Spurs seem in turmoil and took us for granted.

Hull very much didn't seem bothered and we laboured really.

Let's see how we go against Burnley that is the real test.

Having said all that, let's hope the luck has been o our side and we can build on this with confidence now up etc., and the cloud lifted for the time being.

Come on you baggies, and all fans give them a great rousing welcome and really get behind ALL of the team.

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3072 on: September 25, 2014, 01:25:37 PM »
I was not initially pleased with the Irvine appointment, and I noted that on the forum.  However, I would note there are some signs that Irvine does have some tactical ability and is starting to understand how to best orgainse the players.  At Spurs having a really tight and narrow midfield which did not allow them to play the game they would like.  In the cup yesterday the timing of the subs he had choice over was worth noting and turned the match. 

Also note that we now have some really good players in depth which Mel and Clarke did not.  Maybe (and I remain cautious), we have been a little hasty.  Agree that Sunday's match will be important in indicating this?

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3073 on: September 25, 2014, 02:33:36 PM »
I was not initially pleased with the Irvine appointment, and I noted that on the forum.  However, I would note there are some signs that Irvine does have some tactical ability and is starting to understand how to best orgainse the players.  At Spurs having a really tight and narrow midfield which did not allow them to play the game they would like.  In the cup yesterday the timing of the subs he had choice over was worth noting and turned the match. 

Also note that we now have some really good players in depth which Mel and Clarke did not.  Maybe (and I remain cautious), we have been a little hasty.  Agree that Sunday's match will be important in indicating this?
I'd agree with most of that. I want to see the effort level that we had at Spurs repeated for a series of games. We can expect Burnley to be very hard working and committed and we need to match them on that front.
Making sure that your players perform is arguably an even more important part of the head coaches role than the actual tactical side of it.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3074 on: September 25, 2014, 02:41:48 PM »
If we match Burnley on effort, we will have more quality and with good "game management" should be ok.
Don't match the effort and quality & game management will count for nowt.

That is the the nature of the premier league.

Zero complacency please lads.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!