Author Topic: Kemar Roofe - how did we let this talent slip through our clutches  (Read 6115 times)

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

Re: Kemar Roofe - how did we let this talent slip through our clutches
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2018, 09:39:36 PM »
The problem is every club will have players like this, Pogba with Man Utd being the biggest example.
Off the top of my head down the years we've had: Nabi, Mkindawire, Gayle, Worrall, Nicholson, Hodgkiss, Hurst etc.

All these guys at some point were tipped to play for us etc, there's probably more. The issue is that when you're in the Premier League, it's too risky to play them so you need to loan them. But these days they may force a move by wanting ridiculous wages, and realistically you may have to loan them for 3+ seasons. In that time, their contract may run out, they may force a move etc.

So, it's not that easy as simply holding on to guys like Roofe. For the record, I think we did quite well with the development of Chris Wood - we loaned him out for years, also playing him quite a lot in the Championship. The truth is, he didn't look up to it - so he went and now he is a very good player. But what can you do in that situation?
With Roofe, I think it wouldn't have hurt to try loaning him for a few more seasons, but it may have ended up like Wood, which isn't as simple as holding on to talent.

Re-reading this thread, I actually think buy-back clauses are the way to go. I don't know why we don't do it more often.
I'd assume that if you are the selling club and want a buy back clause, the buying club will insist on paying less to start with?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2018, 12:37:11 AM »
Wasn’t good enough for the level we were at. Only past 2 seasons has he produced in the champ.

Only parts of last season and the first two matches of this one really. He has 16 goals in 80 Championship appearances in his career so far, so a 1 in 5 ratio. He may get 20+ this season or he may not.

It's possibly worth noting that Derby's defending for some of the Leeds goals looked as bad as ours was on Saturday, so it's difficult to judge Roofe's or Leeds' attacking quality in general at this stage.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2018, 11:09:18 AM »
I think the biggest problem was at a time were he probably wanted to get first team action, we couldn't really offer him that.

Similar to a lot of players nowadays, we couldn't guarantee him minutes and fair play to the lad, he went down the leagues and built his reputation and has earnt his move to a championship team were he is scoring goals.

Would he be playing regularly for us now? more than likely yes.

Would any of us put him in the first team when he was here and wanted the chance, probably not.

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2018, 04:04:42 PM »
I think he was a late developer. Didnt have a brilliant season last year, but has hit the ground running this year. All clubs let players go that turn into good players later in their careers. Just happens. As a manager if you dont fancy a certain player, you let him go. Its all relative. If we all picked our best 1st XI we would select different players.