Author Topic: Under 23's / Academy Thread  (Read 647024 times)

vrabbit

• Youth Baggie

Re: Under 23's / Academy Thread
« Reply #950 on: August 17, 2018, 06:11:54 PM »
today's lineup vs Wolves

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #951 on: January 01, 2019, 10:36:40 PM »
is there any point in throwing money into a scheme that delivers so little.
would you sign for Albion if you was a youngster? knowing there's little opportunity for 1st team outings.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #952 on: January 02, 2019, 01:05:56 AM »
would you sign for Albion if you was a youngster? knowing there's little opportunity for 1st team outings.

The ones who are seen as promising enough have gotten loan deals. Fitzwater has played a lot for Walsall. Wilson has had a lot of game time for them also (albeit from the bench mostly). O'Shea has become an ever present in Exeters back line.

The youth have had more opportunities in the cup already then they would have had under any of the previous managers. Leko needs a loan to league one. Edwards also unless we are going to give him game time.

Field might/should get his chance now Livermore is suspended. However if Moore sees Harper as ahead of him. Then field also needs a loan.

Our under 23s is usually a very young team as the promising players leave on loan and we promote within.
O Albion we love you

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #953 on: January 02, 2019, 08:49:15 AM »

Yes and No.

Granted there aren't many players who have made the step up from academy to first team regulars, but Leko, Field, Edwards, Harper are all on pro contracts (picking up decent money). Fitzwater, O'Shea, Wilson are getting game time.

If I was a youngster I would still be attracted by coming to our academy, if you look at it from the outside, there are 3/4 youngsters constantly in or around the first team squad (granted not getting minutes). Majority of our youth players do also leave to get a solid career playing in the lower leagues, i.e Mantom, Roofe left for lower leagues and proved himself, same with Wood.

Our academy is no worse than anyone elses. Look at Chelsea's academy, they send approx. 35-40 players out on loan every year and the likelihood is none of them will play for the first team. They are low on striker options yet Abraham is playing championship football. Hudson Odoi is one of the highly rated youngsters yet doesn't make the bench, you can even look as far as Loftus Cheek who isn't getting many starts.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #954 on: January 02, 2019, 08:58:26 AM »

Yes, we have a great reputation of turning out players to the lower leagues and the occasional gem gets produced.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #955 on: January 02, 2019, 09:12:30 AM »
The one that confuses me the most is Kyle Edwards.

Was arguably our best player in pre season and looked ready to make the step up.

Looked tidy in the cup games, got himself some first team minutes at RWB and looked solid enough to help out as and when needed, doesn't seem to have featured even on the bench since then.

Seems a strange one.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #956 on: January 02, 2019, 09:38:20 AM »
The one that confuses me the most is Kyle Edwards.

Was arguably our best player in pre season and looked ready to make the step up.

Looked tidy in the cup games, got himself some first team minutes at RWB and looked solid enough to help out as and when needed, doesn't seem to have featured even on the bench since then.

Seems a strange one.
Not strange mate, criminal. As supporters do you think that we should be given some explanation as to why he, and Harper, and Field have been overlooked, when so many senior players have offered nothing from the bench, and indeed when selected to start.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #957 on: January 02, 2019, 09:52:43 AM »
I'd certainly rather see someone like Harper, Field or Edwards used from the bench than Wes Hoolahan. For me Hoolahan has offered absolutely nothing since he's been here, is past his best and isn't even our player really. He should be released.

With Livermore now suspended I'd like to see Harper replace him as he has the physicality we will lack without Livermore. Don't think it will happen though.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #958 on: January 02, 2019, 10:19:05 AM »
I'd certainly rather see someone like Harper, Field or Edwards used from the bench than Wes Hoolahan. For me Hoolahan has offered absolutely nothing since he's been here, is past his best and isn't even our player really. He should be released.

With Livermore now suspended I'd like to see Harper replace him as he has the physicality we will lack without Livermore. Don't think it will happen though.

Perfect game for him to start is in the cup against Wigan, then give him the game that Livermore misses.

Wont happen though, I expect the midfield will be Morrison Barry Phillips when Livermore is missing.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #959 on: January 02, 2019, 10:56:46 AM »
The club will keep the academy as the players who we sell on for small fees will no doubt have sell on clauses just in case they make it, those clauses will pay for the academy to keep going in the hope that we do find that gem somewhere.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #960 on: January 02, 2019, 11:51:21 AM »
The club will keep the academy as the players who we sell on for small fees will no doubt have sell on clauses just in case they make it, those clauses will pay for the academy to keep going in the hope that we do find that gem somewhere.

100%.

You only have to look at a few names littered around the leagues to show that the academy is working and it is producing talented players. (whether they get game time with us is down to whoever is the head coach at the time).

Izzy Brown
Berahino - the fee we received has justified the use of the academy.
Yan Dhanda - Swansea
Kemar Roofe
Chris Wood.

Have all made a career from our academy, add to that Fitzwater whos now had two solid years in league 1, amongst other names all with successful loans (Edwards, O'Shea).

If they don't make it at the Albion, but get moved on for nominal fees, it keeps the academy a float and worthwhile.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #961 on: January 02, 2019, 12:14:20 PM »
100%.

You only have to look at a few names littered around the leagues to show that the academy is working and it is producing talented players. (whether they get game time with us is down to whoever is the head coach at the time).

Izzy Brown
Berahino - the fee we received has justified the use of the academy.
Yan Dhanda - Swansea
Kemar Roofe
Chris Wood.

Have all made a career from our academy, add to that Fitzwater whos now had two solid years in league 1, amongst other names all with successful loans (Edwards, O'Shea).

If they don't make it at the Albion, but get moved on for nominal fees, it keeps the academy a float and worthwhile.

Plus Romaine Sawyers who we are now being linked with to resign and Tyler Roberts

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #962 on: January 02, 2019, 02:13:59 PM »
One thing i do think is a myth about Darren Moore is he wont use the young players, he will, Harvey Barnes and Tosin play pretty much every game and i am pretty sure Holgate will play most games too, they are all young players, so if your good enough, you will play.

I think that probably suggests that he doesnt think our own crop of youngsters are good enough or not better than the current first teams which is fair enough.

Moore would want our own youngsters in more than anybody, he is a local bloke, knows what it means to fans to have 'one of our own', he has worked with them at youth level, managed them into the senior setup, gave them preseason and has come to the conclusion that they arent upto standard (yet)

As fans we are desperate for our own youngsters to come through, but there is a big difference between signing your first couple of contracts to becoming a fully fledged footballer, its okay doing it in front of 50 people for the under 23's or now and again at Cradley Town in the Birmingham senior cup, the real challenge when you sign pro is in training everyday, competing with somebody for your shirt, having thousands of people pay hard earned money and giving their often unpleasant opinions on matchdays at you.

Joey Barton said when he was at QPR and they had a decent youth team, he went into them, asked who the centre midfielder was, he went upto him and said me and you are now competing for a shirt and that the lad had better be prepared to work harder, train harder and fight harder to get it off him because this was his living, the lad went on to do nothing in the game along with most of that highly rated youth team.

I was lucky enough many moons ago to be an apprentice footballer, i didnt ever really get that close to the first team (only by default on the odd occasion) but there were lads loads better than me, who you thought were guarenteed to 'make it', who did sign pro, who were in and around the first team but when push come to shove they just didnt have the mentality to go on and force their way in, the biggest step is from signing a professional contract to becoming a professional footballer. Through work i see plenty of young pro's at clubs all over the country and there are many who are just happy to say they are pro footballers without ever playing any games (not saying Albions youngsters are like that as i havent had anything to do with them)

Its ok saying give them a chance but if they arent upto standard then you can ruin their future careers and cost the team, as stated the reasons above, Moore knows more about our youngsters than anybody, I am sure he would rather of saved the wages on the likes of squad players like Hoolahan, Sako and Mears and used the funds elsewhere but he sees our youngsters everyday and has decided that right now they arent good enough.

I hope if nothing else they are loaned out this month, i will be critical of Moore if they arent as judging by his squad selections (Harper gets in but how much of that is he is highly rated or how much he fills the academy player quota we dont know, the fact he never gets on suggests its quota thing) Moore doesnt think they are good enough so dont keep them at the club with no intention of playing them.

I am not sure Leko will make it with us at all, he made his debut three seasons ago and hasnt kicked on, at the time he was exciting as he was tricky and skilful but had no end product, the fact he hasnt got near the team often since and also had his loan away cancelled early suggests he still hasnt added that end product.

Burke is similar, he burst onto the scene 3 or 4 years but has still yet to start more than 20 games in his whole career. I think like many youngsters over the years he burst on the scene and took everyone by surprise and did well and got a big money move. The germans are very much into tapping into British talent at the moment, the worry would be they cut their losses and gave up on him in less than a year. Since three Albion managers have chose not to use him, from what i have seen in his brief appearances there is nothing that has made me think he deserves a chance, he is quick and strong but not really seen much else. I think he needs to go on loan to a club where the team is setup to suit him, maybe even drop to league one, play reguarly, learn to play a role, get his confidence back, and see what happens.

Field i think could come into our team now and wouldnt look out of place but also wouldnt standout, i think he will have a good steady career as a championship player, maybe lower league premier at the best, i think with Livermore now banned for 4 games if Field cannot get any minutes then he needs to ask to leave for his own good.

I havent really seen enough of Harper, Fitzwater or Wilson to comment, but Edwards is the one who has stood out to me. I think all our younger players will have careers in football, they obviously are talented to get to where they are now but i have a feeling only one maybe two will have it at the Albion. Not many of our youngsters have gone onto better things, most have had to take a step or two down to come back and i think that will be the case with most of ours (would love to be proved wrong and they all become Albion legends!)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 02:22:41 PM by Albion79 »

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #963 on: January 02, 2019, 03:49:34 PM »
One thing i do think is a myth about Darren Moore is he wont use the young players, he will, Harvey Barnes and Tosin play pretty much every game and i am pretty sure Holgate will play most games too, they are all young players, so if your good enough, you will play.

I think that probably suggests that he doesnt think our own crop of youngsters are good enough or not better than the current first teams which is fair enough.

Moore would want our own youngsters in more than anybody, he is a local bloke, knows what it means to fans to have 'one of our own', he has worked with them at youth level, managed them into the senior setup, gave them preseason and has come to the conclusion that they arent upto standard (yet)

As fans we are desperate for our own youngsters to come through, but there is a big difference between signing your first couple of contracts to becoming a fully fledged footballer, its okay doing it in front of 50 people for the under 23's or now and again at Cradley Town in the Birmingham senior cup, the real challenge when you sign pro is in training everyday, competing with somebody for your shirt, having thousands of people pay hard earned money and giving their often unpleasant opinions on matchdays at you.

Joey Barton said when he was at QPR and they had a decent youth team, he went into them, asked who the centre midfielder was, he went upto him and said me and you are now competing for a shirt and that the lad had better be prepared to work harder, train harder and fight harder to get it off him because this was his living, the lad went on to do nothing in the game along with most of that highly rated youth team.

I was lucky enough many moons ago to be an apprentice footballer, i didnt ever really get that close to the first team (only by default on the odd occasion) but there were lads loads better than me, who you thought were guarenteed to 'make it', who did sign pro, who were in and around the first team but when push come to shove they just didnt have the mentality to go on and force their way in, the biggest step is from signing a professional contract to becoming a professional footballer. Through work i see plenty of young pro's at clubs all over the country and there are many who are just happy to say they are pro footballers without ever playing any games (not saying Albions youngsters are like that as i havent had anything to do with them)

Its ok saying give them a chance but if they arent upto standard then you can ruin their future careers and cost the team, as stated the reasons above, Moore knows more about our youngsters than anybody, I am sure he would rather of saved the wages on the likes of squad players like Hoolahan, Sako and Mears and used the funds elsewhere but he sees our youngsters everyday and has decided that right now they arent good enough.

I hope if nothing else they are loaned out this month, i will be critical of Moore if they arent as judging by his squad selections (Harper gets in but how much of that is he is highly rated or how much he fills the academy player quota we dont know, the fact he never gets on suggests its quota thing) Moore doesnt think they are good enough so dont keep them at the club with no intention of playing them.

I am not sure Leko will make it with us at all, he made his debut three seasons ago and hasnt kicked on, at the time he was exciting as he was tricky and skilful but had no end product, the fact he hasnt got near the team often since and also had his loan away cancelled early suggests he still hasnt added that end product.

Burke is similar, he burst onto the scene 3 or 4 years but has still yet to start more than 20 games in his whole career. I think like many youngsters over the years he burst on the scene and took everyone by surprise and did well and got a big money move. The germans are very much into tapping into British talent at the moment, the worry would be they cut their losses and gave up on him in less than a year. Since three Albion managers have chose not to use him, from what i have seen in his brief appearances there is nothing that has made me think he deserves a chance, he is quick and strong but not really seen much else. I think he needs to go on loan to a club where the team is setup to suit him, maybe even drop to league one, play reguarly, learn to play a role, get his confidence back, and see what happens.

Field i think could come into our team now and wouldnt look out of place but also wouldnt standout, i think he will have a good steady career as a championship player, maybe lower league premier at the best, i think with Livermore now banned for 4 games if Field cannot get any minutes then he needs to ask to leave for his own good.

I havent really seen enough of Harper, Fitzwater or Wilson to comment, but Edwards is the one who has stood out to me. I think all our younger players will have careers in football, they obviously are talented to get to where they are now but i have a feeling only one maybe two will have it at the Albion. Not many of our youngsters have gone onto better things, most have had to take a step or two down to come back and i think that will be the case with most of ours (would love to be proved wrong and they all become Albion legends!)
Brilliant post and very true of our current situation.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #964 on: January 02, 2019, 06:59:01 PM »
The treatment of Field is a bit puzzling. He keeps getting contract extensions which certainly suggests he's rated. He got more of a look-in under Pulis in the prem (think 3 games early in the season) and again under Megson ...and didn't look out of place.
This year he's had the misfortune of being plunged into the Derby game when we were still 3-5-2 and our two central midfielders were overrun by Derby.
I've also noticed he frequently appears in club promotional photos and videos as if to display that we have a young local lad on the scene. It's difficult to say whether if he'd appeared in half dozen or so games this year, he'd have done any better or worse than the others used but at least he'd have the experience under his belt.
Edwards did well against Reading and has since disappeared. I'd love to know what DMs thinking or plan is for these lads.
Also, I assume Harper still hasn't signed a new deal ?

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #965 on: January 03, 2019, 12:20:03 AM »
Moore clearly doesn't rate our youngsters so they should be put out on loan to get valuable experience. Field, Leko and Burke are capable of playing championship football and should only be allowed to leave for this league or in Ollys case Celtic who have top coach who would invest time with the player.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #966 on: January 03, 2019, 09:59:02 AM »
The treatment of Field is a bit puzzling. He keeps getting contract extensions which certainly suggests he's rated. He got more of a look-in under Pulis in the prem (think 3 games early in the season) and again under Megson ...and didn't look out of place.
This year he's had the misfortune of being plunged into the Derby game when we were still 3-5-2 and our two central midfielders were overrun by Derby.
I've also noticed he frequently appears in club promotional photos and videos as if to display that we have a young local lad on the scene. It's difficult to say whether if he'd appeared in half dozen or so games this year, he'd have done any better or worse than the others used but at least he'd have the experience under his belt.
Edwards did well against Reading and has since disappeared. I'd love to know what DMs thinking or plan is for these lads.
Also, I assume Harper still hasn't signed a new deal ?
As 79 says, the Livermore ban will be the acid test. If neither he nor Harper get a look in, beyond the cup, then they may as well go out. Just hope it's not Brunt who is preferred in CM  :(

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #967 on: January 03, 2019, 12:31:48 PM »

Good post  ;D DM not using the youth talent pool is one of the main complaints leveled against him by those who are not convinced by his appointment. As you say he has been happy to use the youth talent bought into the club, but not our own products.  However, this is not an unusual situation for the Albion as apart from Saido's brief flirtation with brilliance I'm struggling to think of any other recent success? 

Following implementation of the academy we initially seemed to lose our best potential to bigger clubs for nothing with Brown, Sinclair and Dhanda but none have become established at a high level.   As an established Premier league club we have then sold players who were not ready for the top division in Roofe who has since developed, Thorne and then Roberts.  All would probably be around our first team now if fit, but they were a distance from first team regulars and the reasons for selling were sound as at that time as we were looking to buy experienced Premier League and established internationals (that went well!).

The best of the current crop?  Field is the enigma.   Under Meggo last year he looked erratic but created some excitement with his energetic displays only to be bombed out as soon as the deplorable Pardew came in.  Would love to see him succeed but that is three managers out of four that haven't picked him.  It does feel unfair to judge him on his performance against a very mobile Derby side, but he may just lack a yard of pace to replace the more experienced players? He is still young but needs to make the break through soon or move on as Roofe did.

The others; Leko couldn't get into an only half-decent Bristol City team last year which suggests a lot.  Some good reports came in regarding Fitzwater at Walsall but he is part of a struggling team conceding goals and Wilson is not first choice.   I haven't seen Harper play first hand so cannot comment but he impressed people with a good eye in the cup and is the one i would like to see given the opportunity.    The only other player to be given any game time was Edwards, whose cameo was superb but then he did a vanishing act?  This is the kind of thing that does nag away at us fans - it would be great for the management team to come out and explain why he hasn't featured more.

The fact is that although we are desperate for one of our kids to really come through and make it, in the 30 odd years (scary) i've been watching Albion the amount of players that have come through the youth/academy system and really made the grade can be counted on one hand? Carlton Palmer, David Burrows, Ugo Ehiogu? Surely there must be more? Time is blurry but it really seems to be one per generation at best.  We thought that was Sadho, lets talk no more, so maybe we are due another from this batch? Can only hope.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #968 on: January 03, 2019, 02:29:37 PM »
Sky Sports reporting that Wilson and Fitzwater have been recalled from Walsall.

He/him

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #969 on: January 03, 2019, 02:51:26 PM »
To specify, sounds like Wilson is recalled. Fitzwater will play for the FA cup game then go back to Walsall.
https://www.saddlers.co.uk/news/2019/january/loan-update-kane-wilson-and-jack-fitzwater/

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #970 on: January 03, 2019, 02:58:11 PM »
To specify, sounds like Wilson is recalled. Fitzwater will play for the FA cup game then go back to Walsall.
https://www.saddlers.co.uk/news/2019/january/loan-update-kane-wilson-and-jack-fitzwater/

it's on the O/S that Fitzwater will go back to Walsall but Wilson will look at other loan opportunities.

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2019/january/duo-return-to-albion/
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 03:12:07 PM by Dexy »

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #971 on: January 03, 2019, 10:41:29 PM »
Sensible to bring Wilson back. He needs to be loaned out either back to league 2, or to a league 1 side who are light at full back.

Unsure about the logic of bringing Fitzwater back as he could easily lose his place in the Walsall side if his replacement plays well. If he gets minutes on Saturday then maybe it is worth the progress check, but I would rather we had left him at Walsall for the whole season. Just personal preference really (I suppose it does keep him feeling part of our plans).

I don't particularly buy into the belief that our academy players aren't good enough. A number of players have left premier league sides to go to Germany in the last 2 years and have had instant success, suggesting it is an attitude problem with some clubs in England. Wolves, playing at a higher level than us have Morgan-Gibbs White getting plenty of first team opportunities, and Kourtney Hause and Dominic Iorfa being linked with moves to the championship. This is despite their academy not seemingly producing anything better than us at England age grade level (we are consistently one of the highest producers of England age level players, and it seems a decent indicator around producing top players, unless there is a bit of a bias towards selecting our players due to the Ashworth/Boothroyd/Downing link). Roofe and Sawyers are both proving to be solid championships players, having been written off here. Roberts also got no game time with us, while being able to get some minutes with the top of the table club in our league. Not all of Field, Harper, Leko, Edwards & (slightly different case but) Burke will end up being good enough for the top 2 divisions, but I would be surprised if none of them are, and they must be worth more opportunities from the subs bench than they are getting, Even in the prem Pulis found time to get Leko and Field on.

Boing Boing

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #972 on: January 05, 2019, 10:02:50 PM »
Not sure what the point of recalling Fitzwater was just to stick him on the bench as an used sub, he would have been better off staying at Walsall and playing in their game at Bolton, better experience for him than watching two reserve sides

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #973 on: January 05, 2019, 10:17:29 PM »
Not sure what the point of recalling Fitzwater was just to stick him on the bench as an used sub, he would have been better off staying at Walsall and playing in their game at Bolton, better experience for him than watching two reserve sides
Not sure, the only thing I can think of is not wanting him cup tied in case we need to pull him back due to injuries.....and if he played for Walsall today he'd be tied and out
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #974 on: January 06, 2019, 12:15:58 PM »
Not sure, the only thing I can think of is not wanting him cup tied in case we need to pull him back due to injuries.....and if he played for Walsall today he'd be tied and out

If he wasn't going to play yesterday then I cannot see any chance he would play in the future cup games regardless of injuries etc