Author Topic: Under 23's / Academy Thread  (Read 640371 times)

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Under 23's / Academy Thread
« Reply #675 on: January 19, 2016, 04:08:43 PM »
Adil Nabi just scored again for the under 21s against Hull in the PL cup , whats hd got to do to get a domestic loan ?!

I thought there was an interview with Nabi where basically no-one came in for him this summer on domestic loan, hence he went to India?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #676 on: January 19, 2016, 05:24:10 PM »
I thought there was an interview with Nabi where basically no-one came in for him this summer on domestic loan, hence he went to India?
Yes there was with Garlick ,hard to believe it isnt it ?

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Singhwba

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #677 on: January 19, 2016, 05:49:15 PM »
Re - Nabi. Is it coming to that point that no one came in for a loan because he is 'asian'. This shouldn't matter but is that a reason as he is a decent footballer and is gobsmacking to believe that he is not wanted even by a league 2 club?

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #678 on: January 19, 2016, 06:33:01 PM »
No.

Football is a fickle sport but it is a global sport and actually having an Asian player could unlock new markets for a club.

He/him

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #679 on: January 19, 2016, 10:11:28 PM »
No.

Football is a fickle sport but it is a global sport and actually having an Asian player could unlock new markets for a club.
Would be nice if all clubs saw it that positively but I suspect the truth may be otherwise...especially as far as short term loans go.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #680 on: January 19, 2016, 10:17:05 PM »
Would be nice if all clubs saw it that positively but I suspect the truth may be otherwise...especially as far as short term loans go.

I get that, but it's far-fetched tl suggest the colour of his skin has anything to do with it!

He/him

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #681 on: January 20, 2016, 10:40:26 AM »
I get that, but it's far-fetched tl suggest the colour of his skin has anything to do with it!

Given the relative demographics of the UK population unless young Asian men have virtually zero interest in and participation in football you would expect more Asian professional footballers than ones with an Afro-Caribbean background. The fact there are very few and those that there are struggling to find a pathway into the game suggests that football might not have moved on entirely from its earlier preconceptions about racial stereotyping and might still be harbouring a few  misguided notions about young Asian players.

I find it hard to believe a player with obvious quality cannot find even a League 2 club to take him for a loan spell.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 10:40:58 AM by B_H_Baggie »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #682 on: January 20, 2016, 11:34:23 AM »
Given the relative demographics of the UK population unless young Asian men have virtually zero interest in and participation in football you would expect more Asian professional footballers than ones with an Afro-Caribbean background. The fact there are very few and those that there are struggling to find a pathway into the game suggests that football might not have moved on entirely from its earlier preconceptions about racial stereotyping and might still be harbouring a few  misguided notions about young Asian players.

I find it hard to believe a player with obvious quality cannot find even a League 2 club to take him for a loan spell.

I find it hard to believe he wasnt even on the bench for the cup game yesterday. Disgraceful.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #683 on: January 20, 2016, 12:11:11 PM »
I find it hard to believe he wasnt even on the bench for the cup game yesterday. Disgraceful.

He played in the U21s two days before

He/him

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #684 on: January 20, 2016, 12:57:26 PM »
He played in the U21s two days before

90% of the team had played on saturday. No excuse.

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #685 on: January 20, 2016, 01:00:25 PM »
90% of the team had played on saturday. No excuse.

It was actually the day before, can't expect him to feature again. Leko was however in the squad last night
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #686 on: January 20, 2016, 01:21:15 PM »
It was actually the day before, can't expect him to feature again. Leko was however in the squad last night

Thats fair then. Still, if i was Adil i would be thinking what do i need to do to get a game here.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #687 on: January 20, 2016, 04:02:14 PM »
Thats fair then. Still, if i was Adil i would be thinking what do i need to do to get a game here.

Got to agree Adil is almost 6 months younger than Saido, Where SB could have been a 2 season regular, Adil is struggling for a loan yet alone match time, for his own good the lad needs to move on. (Sad to say it though)
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #688 on: January 20, 2016, 07:58:16 PM »
Not to rear its ugly head again but i honestly think some of it comes down to race.

Thats just my opinion though.

rajesh-wba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #689 on: January 20, 2016, 08:04:08 PM »
Not to rear its ugly head again but i honestly think some of it comes down to race.

Not one to put the race card forward, but Nabi has scored lots of goals in the U 21's and at the time he went to India on loan, it was said that no clubs from here were keen to loaning him either? I think there must be something missing from his game that deters League 1 or Championship clubs, as his goals at U21 level should at least warrant a loan spell in England.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #690 on: January 20, 2016, 10:11:26 PM »
Genuinely don't think it's got anything to do with race.

How many foreign players have we got at the Albion and how many are in the game generally?

Don't see how there would be a problem with teams playing a British Muslim.

While I would like to see Nabi break through his progress was hampered by a serious knee injury.

It may just be that those within the game question his desire and ability to transfer those U21 goals into first team goals.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #691 on: January 21, 2016, 12:23:23 PM »
I know that I will get slaughtered for this, but here goes.

I do believe that there are physiological differences in the different "races" (Caucasian / Afro-caribbean / mongol asian / Aboriginals) that give some groups advantages in certain sports,
How many Afro-caribbean swimming champions have there been?
How many Asian distance runners ?
Why do afro-caribbeans dominate in some sports such as basketball.

I accept this is a sweeping generalisation but I suspect there is hard scientific evidence to back it up, this could explain why there are so few Asians making it in football, there will always of course be exceptions but thats what they will be exceptions, particularly in UK as the game is geared so heavily towards "Big Strong lads who can run and tackle all day long".

Thoughts ?

the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #692 on: January 21, 2016, 12:37:42 PM »
I know that I will get slaughtered for this, but here goes.

I do believe that there are physiological differences in the different "races" (Caucasian / Afro-caribbean / mongol asian / Aboriginals) that give some groups advantages in certain sports,
How many Afro-caribbean swimming champions have there been?
How many Asian distance runners ?
Why do afro-caribbeans dominate in some sports such as basketball.

I accept this is a sweeping generalisation but I suspect there is hard scientific evidence to back it up, this could explain why there are so few Asians making it in football, there will always of course be exceptions but thats what they will be exceptions, particularly in UK as the game is geared so heavily towards "Big Strong lads who can run and tackle all day long".

Thoughts ?

I think this sums up my view on the "race" issue.

This stereotyping for the lack of a better word could be argued is even more prevalent in a typical 'Tony Pulis' team. So while it may not be racism it certainly could be called racial profiling.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #693 on: January 21, 2016, 12:50:03 PM »
I read an article about this in When Saturday Comes a few years ago. Apparently Asian families don't encourage their children into football because it isn't seen as a respectful profession (cricket is, rugby isn't, and so on). And despite the potential rewards, it's a big risk to go for football, and so the children are dissuaded from attempting.

That's why there are so few who come through the academy systems; Zesh Rehman, Michael Chopra, and the Nabi brothers pretty much the only exceptions.

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #694 on: January 21, 2016, 01:03:07 PM »
Personally i think we should we celebrate local talent and hes got to be better than lambert.

albiontilidie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #695 on: January 21, 2016, 05:37:00 PM »

Not good enough at the moment, otherwise would of made it, Been in the u21 doing alright but not high class... Needs to find his level lower down the leagues get some football under his belt and see where it takes him from there
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 05:44:00 PM by Dexy »
Oh Nottm Oh Nottm is full of fun is full of fun

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #696 on: January 28, 2016, 11:48:29 AM »
Found this clip on two of the academy prospects - Rahis Nabi (Brother of Adil and Samir) and Marcus Forss.

http://www.snappytv.com/tc/1297643

Thought some may enjoy

He/him

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #697 on: January 28, 2016, 12:12:02 PM »
Cheers for that Mark.

They seem a decent pair of lads although young Samir may wish to set his alarm clock a little earlier  :).

Good to hear that Saido still stays back for extra training with the U21's from time to time.
 ;).
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #698 on: January 28, 2016, 03:13:24 PM »
Why is it that we only seem to hear about how good our young strikers are? Don't we have any attacking midfielders that are pushing for the first team?

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #699 on: January 28, 2016, 03:21:52 PM »
Why is it that we only seem to hear about how good our young strikers are? Don't we have any attacking midfielders that are pushing for the first team?

Youmean like Rahis Nabi who is in that video I posted, or Samir Nabi who is supposedly better than Adil was at his age?

He/him