Author Topic: Ball boys where are they?  (Read 7055 times)

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

Ball boys where are they?
« on: March 01, 2015, 05:04:51 PM »
Notice we have had very few ball boys at the last few games and yesterday I could not see any from the East Stand. Anyone know if this is a conscious decision? Does look a bit poor when players from both teams are having to go get the balll themselves.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

Re: Ball boys where are they?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 05:06:45 PM »
Usually to be found sitting in a pair and sometimes in a threesome at the Brummie/ East Stand corner and the Smethwick/ East Stand corner with a couple over the Halfords side as well. One of them even moved yesterday to fetch a ball.

Pointless having them to be honest.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 05:10:57 PM »
They're in disguise, part of our time wasting tactics if we're winning! I'm sure they'd miraculously re-appear if we were losing & in a hurry ;D
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

garry

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 05:50:41 PM »
They're in disguise, part of our time wasting tactics if we're winning! I'm sure they'd miraculously re-appear if we were losing & in a hurry ;D
This is correct!
I saw one of our players (can't remember who) signal to a ballboy to leave the ball and not throw it to him.
This was after about 20 minutes when we were already time-wasting.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 06:45:17 PM »
They also very noticeably walked very slowly to any ball they needed to retrieve  ;)
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 06:49:33 PM »
They've been like it all season not just since Pulis arrived, in fact for the last couple of seasons.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

j2burnz

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 08:05:09 PM »
I used to be a ball it in the Megson era as my school used to provide them.

A late free kick goal from Jason Koumas had brought tranmere back into the game at 2-1 and we had to hold on for dear life in the last ten minutes.

Megson had us all in his office for the next game and told us we were getting the ball in way too quickly in the tranmere game at the end.

Our school teacher , the aptly named Mr Hawthorn , being the bloke he was.. stud up to Megson. He said this was unfair to ask us to cheat , we did  the ball buoying for that game and then he sacked us off and I believe used the youth team.

Got a real insight into the no nonsense Megson approach, he certainly pulled no punches on a bunch of 13-14 year olds.

I thought he was spot on though to be honest. Fine margins.

Big Al

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 08:28:02 PM »
At Stoke TP originated the multi ball system, usually being removed at half time if they were wining and replaced with the one ball system. Same with ball boys the. Number of ball boys used to reduce when they were in front.
No longer allowed but typical win at all costs TP attitude, very similar to Megson.

Iceman

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 08:51:01 PM »
This is correct!
I saw one of our players (can't remember who) signal to a ballboy to leave the ball and not throw it to him.
This was after about 20 minutes when we were already time-wasting.

Foster the culprit for this, told the lad to sit down and walked over to the ball himself (very slowly ;D)

stanthesetter

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 08:04:37 AM »
i think i saw Jack Jones the 107 year old albion fan ball boying in the second half.
"wear the collar luv, you know it makes sense".

ian66

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 08:08:54 AM »
Foster the culprit for this, told the lad to sit down and walked over to the ball himself (very slowly ;D)
If I remember it was the first time the ball went out for a goal kick just after we scored, 5 mins in!!

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 12:43:29 PM »
Anyone else notice Gardner take the pee with about two minutes to go against Southampton? Walked over to pick the ball up from the advertising boards and then pretended to offer the ball to a fan instead of taking the throw in  :)

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 12:52:15 PM »
It's part of the cynical way in which Pulis goes about the game. They used to be sat an intervals around the sides, but now there are just two in each corner who don't actually go and get the ball when it goes out. It's been like this since he came in.

I think a few in the Smethwick were volunteering for the job Saturday too.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 01:01:17 PM »
Don't know why were complaining about time wasting, the amount of time its been done to us its about time the players got a bit more savvy.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 01:13:03 PM »
It's part of the cynical way in which Pulis goes about the game. They used to be sat an intervals around the sides, but now there are just two in each corner who don't actually go and get the ball when it goes out. It's been like this since he came in.

I think a few in the Smethwick were volunteering for the job Saturday too.

That was highly amusing by the Smethwick. To be fair lots of teams have done it to us and bleeting about it has gained us 0 points

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 01:17:18 PM »
That was highly amusing by the Smethwick. To be fair lots of teams have done it to us and bleeting about it has gained us 0 points

Two wrongs don't make a right, just because teams have done it to us doesn't make it right for us to do the same to others.

Albionwarrior

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 02:52:05 PM »
If I remember it was the first time the ball went out for a goal kick just after we scored, 5 mins in!!

I can't believe wasting time in the first 5 minutes of the game would have any significant bearing on the overall result would it? .... If the general rule was to slow the pace down so be it, but teams will always have enough time to create something when they do have the ball during the remaining 85 minutes

Yes overt cheating (sess dive) should be punished,probably retrospectively .. but we need to be a little 'savvi' to win games .... let s be honest cheating is often referred to as 'gamesmanship' and if you can get away with it you do, but when you get caught don't complain .... lets be honest winners do whatever they can to win (within reason obviously).

A lot of people scream when something goes against them .... but if they thought about the numbers of times they had got away with things they wouldn't be so verciferous would they?

"You give it, you take it and you don't complain" Martin Johnson (England Captain)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 03:00:36 PM »
If Jedinak esapes censure for his elbow, and Sess gets a ban its a bloody sad indictment of the game in this country IMO.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 03:43:57 PM »
If Jedinak esapes censure for his elbow, and Sess gets a ban its a bloody sad indictment of the game in this country IMO.

Why would Sees get a ban?
The ref saw it, booked him, job done.
He' was punished on the day so cant be punished retrospectively.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 03:44:59 PM »
Two wrongs don't make a right, just because teams have done it to us doesn't make it right for us to do the same to others.

Careful FOB, you might fall off that high horse.  ;)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 03:47:37 PM »
Why would Sees get a ban?
The ref saw it, booked him, job done.
He' was punished on the day so cant be punished retrospectively.
Yes, of course your 100% correct, i hadn't thought it through.
I'm just a bit drunk off at what I percieve as violence being treated as on a par with diving, (which, btw I deffo do not condone).
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

ian66

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 04:07:29 PM »
I can't believe wasting time in the first 5 minutes of the game would have any significant bearing on the overall result would it? .... If the general rule was to slow the pace down so be it, but teams will always have enough time to create something when they do have the ball during the remaining 85 minutes

Yes overt cheating (sess dive) should be punished,probably retrospectively .. but we need to be a little 'savvi' to win games .... let s be honest cheating is often referred to as 'gamesmanship' and if you can get away with it you do, but when you get caught don't complain .... lets be honest winners do whatever they can to win (within reason obviously).

A lot of people scream when something goes against them .... but if they thought about the numbers of times they had got away with things they wouldn't be so verciferous would they?

"You give it, you take it and you don't complain" Martin Johnson (England Captain)
Don't get me wrong I wasn't complaining I loved it!

I was just answering the previous poster who said he thought he seen Foster tell the Ball Boy to leave the ball and I just clarified it was after aprox. 5 minutes after their first attack.

Your spot on what your saying regarding it was a tactic to slow the pace of the game down knowing that The Saints would come at us for an equaliser.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 04:14:42 PM by ian66 »

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 04:12:40 PM »
Don't know why were complaining about time wasting, the amount of time its been done to us its about time the players got a bit more savvy.
You're right. One of my biggest annoyances of last season was that our players weren't cynical enough which often cost us in games. The amount of late goals we let in was ridiculous and if we were wiser (tactical fouls, time wasting etc) then we'd have got a lot more points than we did.