Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1758675 times)

BB74

• Senior Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #7100 on: July 13, 2015, 03:12:34 PM »
JP always puts it in a contract that once ties are severed both parties keep quiet.

Would love to hear things from Megsons point of view!

Any legal bods on here know if hush agreements between previous managers and JP would remain live once he sells up?

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7101 on: July 13, 2015, 03:13:22 PM »
Why else would you keep him on payroll for? Its not as though we are saving much, unless we want to avoid a compensation package which is normally paying his contract up in any event.

Any other thoughts on this?

1. Paying him off monthly staggers the financial obligation.
2. If anybody wishes to employ him whilst still on our payroll they will have to offer compensation, as he is still technically an employee of West Bromwich Albion.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

cuckfield1704

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #7102 on: July 13, 2015, 04:09:50 PM »
We would BUT I would imagine that it would 'tip the books' at a time when they're still being poured over by our potential buyer, so I can see why JP has told him to sling his hook until the sale is done.
This is probably right but also means that Peace will not want to mess up the finances by paying transfer fees during the next month or so. It looks like we go with what we have  !!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7103 on: July 13, 2015, 07:52:32 PM »
This is probably right but also means that Peace will not want to mess up the finances by paying transfer fees during the next month or so. It looks like we go with what we have  !!

The transfer budget will be set aside. Possibly the only money they have to play with. Should we dip into it to pay off that useless...
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7104 on: July 14, 2015, 02:29:34 AM »
2. If anybody wishes to employ him whilst still on our payroll they will have to offer compensation, as he is still technically an employee of West Bromwich Albion.

And there, I think you have it in a nutshell!
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7105 on: July 14, 2015, 09:02:22 PM »
"Apart from the hat-trick we handled Charlie Austin pretty well"

Well he was right.  ;D
the regime don't like it man

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #7106 on: July 15, 2015, 09:38:32 AM »
Well he was right.  ;D

are you going to follow Irvine like i do Mel :)
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7107 on: July 15, 2015, 09:45:44 AM »

I can understand what you are saying, but the problem is that he could take up employment elsewhere by resigning [and coming off the payroll]. He did say that he had received enquiries but he was not allowed to find alternative employment as he was still on the books. Why would that be?
MAGA!

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7108 on: July 15, 2015, 10:04:44 AM »

I can understand what you are saying, but the problem is that he could take up employment elsewhere by resigning [and coming off the payroll]. He did say that he had received enquiries but he was not allowed to find alternative employment as he was still on the books. Why would that be?

he may very well have had enquiries from others but I bet the wages they are offering him are less than what we are paying him to do nothing.

if he wants to he can resign but I'm guessing he'd want a payoff from us at the same time.

with the takeover dragging on this may make any kind of deal impossible until it has gone through or fell through.

Clarke did the same, he was placed on gardening leave on 14th December 2013 he took over at Reading on 16th December 2014

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7109 on: July 15, 2015, 10:06:05 AM »

Maybe because he loves gardening?
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7110 on: July 15, 2015, 10:12:53 AM »

As I muted in points 1 and 2, compensation.

With regard to simply resigning and walking away, he can only do that if the club accept his resignation in the first place. He's currently on 'gardening leave'.

Contracts are pretty water tight, which takes me back to potential compensation once again.
A bit of pay back on wages paid out to Alan Irvine during his employment, every penny counts  ;).
The closer his contract is to running down though, the more likely Albion are to letting him go, as any compensatory monies they may think are due from any new employer are reduced.

It woiuld be interesting to find out if Irvine had suggested he forego any severance compensation which he is contractually due, ie asking for his contract to be simply torn up. This brings me back to point 1 though, as if he wants what he is due the club will find it easier to stagger his payments as they are currently doing.

Remember, whatever happens it will be to what Albion perceive as being in their/our best interests.
What Irvine wants in life is of very little consequence to the powers that be.

Personally I would let him walk and get on with his life, but then I do not possess the financial acumen of a successful business man.
 :).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 10:14:26 AM by SmethDan »
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7111 on: July 15, 2015, 10:32:37 AM »
Interesting stuff... it probably all boils down to the fact that he is on a good salary at home and no one else has come close to matching his wages as you say...
MAGA!

fatboy_coach

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7112 on: July 15, 2015, 10:35:10 AM »
As with players (sterling) who want to move but don't want to quit/hand in a transfer request and thus lose money, AI is trying to use the media to flex our arm and play to his tune. He's smart, he knows we're for sale and trying to look (as we are) whiter than white and is chancing his arm. As above, if he had a descent offer and cash wasn't the issue he'd quit and move on.

EDIT: sorry just realised I've said the same as the guys above  :-X
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 10:36:56 AM by fatboy_coach »

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7113 on: July 15, 2015, 03:07:20 PM »

are you going to follow Irvine like i do Mel :)

To be fair not that interested in Irvine anymore, only when he was here.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #7114 on: July 15, 2015, 04:00:56 PM »
To be fair not that interested in Irvine anymore, only when he was here.

liar, you think about him in your sleep :)

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7115 on: July 27, 2015, 09:28:03 PM »
If anyone's interested he's on five live now, talking about his wonderful opinions on football

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7116 on: July 28, 2015, 09:52:50 AM »
If anyone's interested he's on five live now, talking about his wonderful opinions on football

Talks a lot of sense, a good and very interesting listen.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7117 on: July 28, 2015, 11:50:32 AM »
Talks a lot of sense, a good and very interesting listen.

He can talk the talk but can't walk the walk.
He's a teller not a do'er

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7118 on: July 28, 2015, 12:20:20 PM »
He is good at talking, I heard him on the radio the other month.

He clearly talked himself into the Albion job. The rest is history.........

Nice bloke but he couldn't manage a packet of crisps, let alone a football team.
MAGA!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #7119 on: August 25, 2015, 08:08:30 AM »
Legends mate is on on talk sport this morning talking about Berahino :) maybe hes joining him in the same garden
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 08:15:43 AM by WBAinDEVON »

Legend

• Senior Baggie

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7121 on: August 25, 2015, 01:52:26 PM »
He is good at talking, I heard him on the radio the other month.

He clearly talked himself into the Albion job. The rest is history.........

Nice bloke but he couldn't manage a packet of crisps, let alone a football team.

He managed Preston from relegation zone of the Championship to the play offs in the next season. He was talked about how Eddie Howe is now as a talented young coach. He just wasn't given the tools here.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #7122 on: August 25, 2015, 01:55:00 PM »
He managed Preston from relegation zone of the Championship to the play offs in the next season. He was talked about like how Eddie Howe is now a few years ago. He just wasn't given the tools here.

He was, he just wasn't up to the job and should never have been anywhere near it in the first place. All Pulis did was add Fletcher and McMananam (who hardly figured) to that same squad and kept us up when we were on the way down.

Cue the "we were never going down under Irvine" brigade. Well Mr Peace was obviously concerned enought to act.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

wbastrollers

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7123 on: August 25, 2015, 02:41:26 PM »
He managed Preston from relegation zone of the Championship to the play offs in the next season. He was talked about how Eddie Howe is now as a talented young coach. He just wasn't given the tools here.

Your facts are correct Legend, however, you have not painted the full picture - after he took PNE  to the play-offs, the following season he went on a run of 1 win in 10 matches, 7 pts from 30, which left PNE loitering in 16th, the Chairman saw the writing on the wall and sacked Irvine.
 One could argue that  the Chairman was proved correct, when the next season Irvine took the reigns at Sheffield Wednesday and relegated them to League 1 in his only full season at Hillsborough.

Whatever prompted Peace to install  Irvine as the Coach/Manager at the Hawthorns will forever go into the WBA History as Peace's biggest blunder!!

Ukar1

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #7124 on: August 25, 2015, 02:55:16 PM »

Only partly correct..He WAS given the tools..unfortunately IRVINE was the biggest tool :-)