Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1758634 times)

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #5850 on: December 23, 2014, 10:02:05 AM »
And that is the worrying thing given a club of our size and stature with a proud history.

I didn't want him, don't want him now but have given him a chance and for 90 minutes each game I back the bloke all the way but doesn't mean I have blind faith like some. I want the best for the club as all do and I have the right to put my opinion across on this forum.

I do also think some of the Pro Irvine camp do make some good points at times but then ruin them with their belittling comments.

Agree Phil. I am not a huge fan of AI at all but while he is here i will support him, at the end of the day im sure he wants to win every game too.
Comes across as a decent guy as well.
Dont get me wrong if Jol was waiting in the wings i'd get him in ASAP.
Lee Probert's Barmy Army!!!

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5851 on: December 23, 2014, 10:05:36 AM »
So because other clubs fail we have to follow ?

Why when discussing West Bromwich Albion do they become relevant ? Is it so we can make ourselves feel better by comparing ourselves to others that failed because 5 years really isn't anything ?

Oh how we should feel so grateful for them to allow us to still be here.
As they are in the same business/industry/sport as us of course they are relevant.  Do you seriously think that any leading organisation does not look at its competitors to learn from their successes andtheir mistakes. Its why many clubs hold West Brom as the original model they followed to getting into the Premier league.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5852 on: December 23, 2014, 10:07:46 AM »
I agree with Oldbury and Aidan. Both good points.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5853 on: December 23, 2014, 10:10:31 AM »
Teams fail teams succeed should enjoy the ride when the going is good personally I don't take the Mick put them accross the road from us anymore as will be in the same league next season not that is a bad thing.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #5854 on: December 23, 2014, 10:12:47 AM »
As they are in the same business/industry/sport as us of course they are relevant.  Do you seriously think that any leading organisation does not look at its competitors to learn from their successes andtheir mistakes. Its why many clubs hold West Brom as the original model they followed to getting into the Premier league.

As I said I (as in ME !!) do not give a jot about other clubs. I would expect the relevant people at the club to be interested in what goes on elsewhere but for me I don't give a monkeys.

But as you responded with the above. So we have to fail because others have ?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5855 on: December 23, 2014, 10:17:30 AM »
As I said I (as in ME !!) do not give a jot about other clubs. I would expect the relevant people at the club to be interested in what goes on elsewhere but for me I don't give a monkeys.

But as you responded with the above. So we have to fail because others have ?
Is being in 15th failing based on the position that we found ourselves at the end of last season?

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5856 on: December 23, 2014, 10:17:38 AM »
I know I’m probably in the minority of one but I actually have alot of time for Irvine.  He appears to be a man of integrity and I respect his honesty, diligence and thorough preparatory work.  I know some may choose not to believe it but based on what I have read I genuinely believe he is a top coach and it also appears that he is very fair with the players.

I also believe that there are signs that his team is improving, putting aside the defending of set pieces for a second we generally look solid defensively, I also think the whole team has improved significantly ‘without the ball’ this season.   The big problem has been creativity but against QPR (who by the way have the 5th best home form in the league) there were periods when we played some scintillating stuff with Sess and Varela in particular wreaking havoc.  Hopefully the combination and growing understanding between these two dangerous players will remedy much of what we have lacked so far this season.

I honestly don’t view this team as one which is staring relegation in the mouth but one that with a few tweaks, in terms of set pieces and personnel is not far from giving a good account of themselves in the second half of this season.  Keep the faith.
"This crack is really moreish."

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #5857 on: December 23, 2014, 10:22:03 AM »
Is being in 15th failing based on the position that we found ourselves at the end of last season?

I don't think I said we are failing anywhere did I ? but the season is a long way from being over so neither of us can predict how it will go. If we finish 17th in the clubs and your eyes we will have succeeded no doubt and we can hide away in the corner for another season in awe of the rest of the league and celebrate like we did the first time we stayed up.

I asked if we have to fail just because others are, two different things.

popmonkey

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5858 on: December 23, 2014, 10:25:10 AM »
We're really not progressing. The only time we've looked dominant over a whole game was against a Burnley side who had zero confidence. There are still too many basic mistakes being made, such as allowing players to run at us without any tackles being put in. We've regressed when it comes to set pieces (both attacking and defending) and too many points are being dropped after avoidable errors by our players.

Without a change, I dont expect anything other than relegation by Easter, and I wouldn't expect us to bounce back any time soon.
Going down the Brummie Road... To see the Albion Aces!

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5859 on: December 23, 2014, 10:28:32 AM »
I always think when the players start coming out and backing the a manger that the end is nye. I always think it's for show. When players back a manager throughout and from the first moment it's more believable. There's a trend in modern football that the players back the manager when he's likely to go. I am not entirely sure the players want him might explain some of the ridiculous unforced errors from Saturday.

Players can't stop outright as we wouldn't accept it but they are able to do the basics wrong to put a manager under pressure and even lose him his job.
O Albion we love you

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #5860 on: December 23, 2014, 10:32:24 AM »
so come them, predict Irvines next win and dont say Gateshead.I cant see one anytime soon = relegation
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5861 on: December 23, 2014, 10:33:18 AM »
I don't think I said we are failing anywhere did I ? but the season is a long way from being over so neither of us can predict how it will go. If we finish 17th in the clubs and your eyes we will have succeeded no doubt and we can hide away in the corner for another season in awe of the rest of the league and celebrate like we did the first time we stayed up.

We have failed.  We did this last year with our poor recruitment and failure to replace players with better players. This has a massive set back in league where you take tiny steps forward and massive steps backwards. It almost cost us our premier league status. We learn from others not to make continual massive wholesale changes but to build slow momentum again, which we are no doubt currently doing. We will finish higher than 17th in my opinion given the current way our squad and play is shaping when compared to the end of last season.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5862 on: December 23, 2014, 10:37:43 AM »

This has stemmed from my post, has it not?

If it has, I'll just point out that that it's not that they failed,not at all.. In fact Sunderland are still going in this position Just that we are NOT at all special in terms of the position we are currently in. You may not care about them, but it's very likely they don't care about us. Doesn't stop the fact that these are all similar clubs in similar positions.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5863 on: December 23, 2014, 10:39:11 AM »
so come them, predict Irvines next win and dont say Gateshead.I cant see one anytime soon = relegation
Stoke ;-)

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #5864 on: December 23, 2014, 10:40:12 AM »
We have failed.  We did this last year with our poor recruitment and failure to replace players with better players. This has a massive set back in league where you take tiny steps forward and massive steps backwards. It almost cost us our premier league status. We learn from others not to make continual massive wholesale changes but to build slow momentum again, which we are no doubt currently doing. We will finish higher than 17th in my opinion given the current way our squad and play is shaping when compared to the end of last season.

I agree with much of what you say but for us to finish higher than 17th will take some doing regardless of where we are at this time, long way to go and despite our lack of activity during the January window usually this time we need to use it especially in the midfield department to bring in some quality or start using the players we have more effectively and in correct positions. I honestly fear for us this season.

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5865 on: December 23, 2014, 10:40:41 AM »

Stoke.  And I'm confident.
"This crack is really moreish."

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #5866 on: December 23, 2014, 10:43:18 AM »
This has stemmed from my post, has it not?

If it has, I'll just point out that that it's not that they failed,not at all.. In fact Sunderland are still going in this position Just that we are NOT at all special in terms of the position we are currently in. You may not care about them, but it's very likely they don't care about us. Doesn't stop the fact that these are all similar clubs in similar positions.

I will also just point out that as I have said I (as in ME) do not care about them, I care about West Bromwich Albion.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5867 on: December 23, 2014, 10:45:05 AM »
Luckily the last time someone said that (Jacko I believe) we beat Tottenham, I also can't remember if it was Jacko or yourself (apologies if it wasn't) who said that when we got into the relegation zone that we'd "never get out again all season. Since then we've got out after 1 game and not gone back. so, yeah anything can happen. But the next I expect to win is Hull at home, if the team has the support they require. That does NOT constitute that we won't win 'till then, though.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5868 on: December 23, 2014, 10:47:16 AM »
Didn't some on here  say they don't mind losing as long as we play 'Attacking Football'.

That was how we played in the first half but in the 2cnd same old same old  :'( must have been a inspiring half time talk thats all i can say.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5869 on: December 23, 2014, 10:50:48 AM »
I agree with much of what you say but for us to finish higher than 17th will take some doing regardless of where we are at this time, long way to go and despite our lack of activity during the January window usually this time we need to use it especially in the midfield department to bring in some quality or start using the players we have more effectively and in correct positions. I honestly fear for us this season.
I have more concern up front than in midfield. Our midfield have a recognised history of creating and scoring goals, our forwards don't.  People are blaming the midfield for not supplying our forwards butthe forwards have to put themselves in the position to receive the ball. We haven't got a Lukaku, Long, Phillips or Odemwingie making runs or space.

we8seals

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5870 on: December 23, 2014, 10:53:36 AM »

i doubt it will be Gateshead. I predict the following for that game:
a. set up same as ever, negative over cautious
b. get a goal after 15 mins from a set piece - dawson from a corner.
c. stop playing and sit back
d. they throw kitchen sink at us
e. equaliser in 86th minute

sound familar to anyone?

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5871 on: December 23, 2014, 10:54:20 AM »
I have more concern up front than in midfield. Our midfield have a recognised history of creating and scoring goals, our forwards don't.  People are blaming the midfield for not supplying our forwards butthe forwards have to put themselves in the position to receive the ball. We haven't got a Lukaku, Long, Phillips or Odemwingie making runs or space.

From the little bit i've seen of Bobby i would have said that making runs into space was his main forte.

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5872 on: December 23, 2014, 10:56:40 AM »

Ideye made numerous good runs against the Villa but didn't get picked out once.

Midfield is the problem. Stale, sideways and negative.
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #5873 on: December 23, 2014, 10:56:51 AM »

We could do with another striker but I think those 4 masked a few problems with our midfield, its a bit stale now and good servants they have been its time for a change.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5874 on: December 23, 2014, 11:07:58 AM »
From the little bit i've seen of Bobby i would have said that making runs into space was his main forte.

Berahino has become very adept at making good runs.  But he spends 75% of every game on the bench.