Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1758636 times)

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #4875 on: December 03, 2014, 10:47:57 AM »
I think we all know he's going nowhere until Monday at the earliest so lets look at it a different way.
If and it's a big if I know, but humour me. If he plays Varela, Gamboa (Wisdom cannot possibly play after last night) and Ideye on Saturday and we get a high tempo, attacking performance and a good win ( and I mean a good win, not like Leicester ), even he would be hard pushed to go back to the narrow, slow dross that we are used to.
Therefore, it may be that by bowing to fan pressure he has, albeit inadvertently, stumbled across a winning formula.
This would mean that the very fans that want him out (and I am one of them) will have saved his job. :o
What have we gone and done................... :'(
That's the thing, even if he eventually somehow gets it right through fan pressure, it's blindingly obvious he'll never be up to the job

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4876 on: December 03, 2014, 10:50:11 AM »
That's the thing, even if he eventually somehow gets it right through fan pressure, it's blindingly obvious he'll never be up to the job

Agreed. At some point between now and over the Xmas period his hand will be forced to play some of the players we've been wanting to see. If that's the case then he may just accidentally stumble across a winning formula.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #4877 on: December 03, 2014, 10:58:43 AM »
When you look at them on the sidelines, they honestly look deflated. They look like sunday league managers and coaches praying for a bit of luck. The guy has no charisma and it makes me wonder how the players get worked up for a game.

They don't get worked up for a game is the answer.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4878 on: December 03, 2014, 11:03:56 AM »
I think if we lose to Hull the weekend, he will be gone before the Villa game.

Even JP knows we dont like losing to our local rivals, and a 'new face' may prevent that from happening. (Even if it is Downing and Kiely that would be in charge).

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4879 on: December 03, 2014, 11:39:11 AM »
We can't afford to keep him any longer. I can only see us continuing in our current form with him in charge and with our run in it could be too late after the next two games where we desperately need to be picking up some points.

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4880 on: December 03, 2014, 11:40:32 AM »
I think the time for sacking him has been and gone.

I think Irvine is safe for another game, sadly.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #4881 on: December 03, 2014, 11:43:51 AM »
Hes here for the Vile game unffortuanately but i expect 4 points from the next 2 games
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4882 on: December 03, 2014, 11:48:07 AM »
Hes here for the Vile game unffortuanately but i expect 4 points from the next 2 games

Likewise, we have to win either of the next two. Draw at hull, bit of confidence back with the players and beat the Villa.
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #4883 on: December 03, 2014, 11:53:22 AM »
What was the name of the bloke at Blackburn who carried on and on even though he was way out of his depth ?
Reminds me very much of that , so thick skinned he won't do the decent thing and resign.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #4884 on: December 03, 2014, 11:54:29 AM »
What was the name of the bloke at Blackburn who carried on and on even though he was way out of his depth ?
Reminds me very much of that , so thick skinned he won't do the decent thing and resign.

Steve Round?

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4885 on: December 03, 2014, 11:55:41 AM »

Steve Kean?

Slightly different as he was pally with the owner wasn't he?

Ended up relegating them though.

I remember going away to Blackburn that season and the whole game the home fans were chanting for Kean to go.

I remember thinking that they deserved to go just because of the way their fans were.

Now I understand  :D
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 11:57:50 AM by dangerman »

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #4886 on: December 03, 2014, 11:57:36 AM »
Steve Kean?

Slightly different as he was pally with the owner wasn't he?

Ended up relegating them though.

Thats him Steve Kean, not sure where i got round from

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4887 on: December 03, 2014, 11:59:56 AM »

Thats him Steve Kean, not sure where i got round from

Old age mate ;)

Although I do know a Steve Round, who in fact is very round  :D

I'm disapointed that Irvine is still here and I guess I won't be going back to the Hawthorns just yet :)

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #4888 on: December 03, 2014, 12:01:01 PM »
Steve Kean , that's him . Very much like Irvine in several ways.....take note what happened JP as the atmosphere will only go the same way , it started last night. I'd respect Irvine more if he resigned and admitted he wasn't up to the job.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 12:05:40 PM by Dexy »

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4889 on: December 03, 2014, 12:02:24 PM »
Just wondered if the poster who asked if anyone was ready to eat humble pie is ready to eat it himself.

If thats me, I was gutted buy the appointment, but once made I felt we should get behind AI, that said he has failed and we need to get rid ASAP. Can I have custard with my Humble Pie please.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #4890 on: December 03, 2014, 12:05:18 PM »
mince pie would be more appropriate for the time of year

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4891 on: December 03, 2014, 12:06:34 PM »

He's not likely to resign is he? 5months in to a 12 month contract, if he gets the sack, he gets the remaining 7 months.

The most likely way he would resign if for the club to pay him off. In fact politically, that might be the best way, then AI had folded under "fan power", not the club.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #4892 on: December 03, 2014, 12:11:20 PM »
He's not likely to resign is he? 5months in to a 12 month contract, if he gets the sack, he gets the remaining 7 months.

The most likely way he would resign if for the club to pay him off. In fact politically, that might be the best way, then AI had folded under "fan power", not the club.
In a non football way I'd agree but he is very unlikely to turn this around and it's going to get nasty at games , last nights stick was the tip of the iceberg....we all know whats coming. Trouble is he seems that stubborn and thick skinned he will be convinced he is doing a good job. Paying off and drawing a line under it today would be best for all.

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4893 on: December 03, 2014, 12:14:48 PM »
I don't want Irvine sacked until the replacement team are in the wings.  I don't want Downing to be caretaker again.

We can not have another 1 month due dithering looking at the same people who will accept the role based on the criteria previously defined.

Either Peace has already seen them (in the 2 previous due ditherings) and is willing to change 1 or more of the criteria to get them through the door, or he has to throw away the model and find the best manager we can attract and work with him.

We have to find a leader with their coaching own team.  Someone who can inspire the team and the fans.  This whole soporific environment has to end.  We need some who is going to shake us up a bit!

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4894 on: December 03, 2014, 12:19:41 PM »
A starting point for me would be to bring Dan Ashworth back and offer him double his FA salary and a shareholding to make him Deputy Chairman.

Then JP and all the fans leave it to DA to do what's necessary.   

Everyone's a winner.

I'm pretty sure Dan Ashworth took the FA job for a lot more than financial reasons. The chance to be the man who builds the blueprint for England's future was a very enticing job for him.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4895 on: December 03, 2014, 12:19:48 PM »
I honestly wonder if being cocooned in the club 10-12 hours a day 7 days a week is good for his well-being and logic.
Someone (JP or TB)  needs to drag him out on a non-footy day (golf / fishing whatever) and have a man to man "this ain't working, something has to change" discussion with him. This needs to happen in next 5-7 days, then if he doesn't change "stuff" (selection / tactics) he has been given every opportunity but failed and the exit door can be opened.

As for DK & KD, too many head coaches, too may players, too many games, all with the same results, sorry the common denominator remains the coaching staff - Ta ra ! close the door on the way out,

Old guard players, another head coach gone, comfort blanket of KD / DK gone, anyone who doesn't want to be here, a hand written note will do, we will facilitate your exit ASAP.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4896 on: December 03, 2014, 12:36:38 PM »
Have to say i speak against the majority here but i think some of our supporters have been an absolute disgrace in their treatment of Irvine.

Anybody who dares to point some counter things out against the criticism Irvine receives (some of it just, some of it not) is deemed to be an Irvine lover or happy clapper, i think its actually called some reality.

None of us wanted the bloke, none of us felt he would do a good job and we may well be proved right but at this time we are 5th from bottom (not bottom 3) despite an awful run of results, yes we could go in the bottom 3 saturday if we lose but we could also go halfway in the league.

From the threats of protests about his appointment to the embarrassing p**staking chants last night, its pathetic. By all means take the mick out of opposition teams and fans, but to do it to your own its ridiculous.

Its complete double standards, there seems to be some crazy Pepe Mel love in, and i personally have no idea why, he was a likeable bloke who maybe got the raw end of the stick, people were saying Irvine was weak last night as he gave into the fans for subs, surely that makes Pepe Mel weak then when the players supposedly refused to play his style, why didnt he drop them and put others in? Yet he gets sympathy for his treatment!

I have been bored watching some Albion games this season, name the last few (last night wasnt boring) but also in previous seasons i have been bored at times watching a Pepe Mel team, a Steve Clarke team, a Roy Hodgson team, a Di Matteo team, whether we like it or not thats part of where we are at as a club, its not a new thing under Irvine, yes he made mistakes and would continue to do so, he should of gone for it more against Arsenal and Newcastle, but i remember under Pepe Mel to name the Man United games and Stoke games (and there were others) at home least season where we barely had a shot, same happened in games under Clarke and same with Hodgson, etc, etc yet none of them had this witch hunt that Irvine has.

The three games prior to last night were s**t and Irvine made mistakes in his selection and his approach however last night was different, we started well, had a bad half hour that cost us and then dominated second half, Dawsons sitter he missed, Anichebe had the keeper make 2 great saves, Dorrans miss at the end plus others, last night we had a go, yes we lost, but apparently according to some of our fans upto the West Ham game, its not the losing, its the way we lost, so surely they should be happier now? Last night whether it was fans pressure or not we had a lot of creativity and a lot of attacking players on that pitch and went for it, its what we have all wanted yet when he does it he is still apparently clueless and dont know what he is doing! The three games prior to last night Irvine deserved the stick as we were dull, boring and went about it wrong, last night was different and he seemed to acknowledge the previous approach wasnt working, whats so wrong with that?

People are very quick to point out Irvines faults, but what about also giving credit where its due? For every Newcastle or Arsenal performance, there is a Tottenham or Burnley, for every borefest game (ie - Everton and Chelsea) there is a entertaining game - Sunderland and Man United, there is also creditable results against Southampton and Leicester.

Irvine took over half a squad in the summer and has had to integrate a lot of new players in, we all knew that out 11 new signings some wouldnt and wont work out, thats the law of averages, Pepe Mel gets a lot of credit for bringing Dorrans back into the fold (and rightly so) yet Irvine has turned Berahinos career around after he seemed to be going nowhere, he has brought Dawson in from the cold when no other manager did and he is now a key player, i think Lescott (arguably our best player) said the main reason he was signing was because of Irvine so how about some credit for the bloke when its due if people are going to slate him for everything.

Varela looked quality and lets hope he starts Saturday, but also he has been injured, he last played in the world cup, didnt do a proper preseason at Porto, started to train with us, played a game then got injured again, there was talk his season was over, he eventually started training again, played the under 21's and Irvine said he would be available start of December and sure enough he was. Its not like he has been fully fit raring to go, he has been injured and not played a proper game for 6 x months so i would imagine he does need easing back in, maybe Irvine did make a mistake and could of put him on the bench the last couple of games, but we all make mistakes, i certainly do.

If we lost the next two then Irvine due to modern day football job would definitely be in jeopardy, it obviously is now, the sad thing is we could win the next two be half way in the league, with a possible FA Cup run to look forward too and yet some would still want him out because he is Alan Irvine, it is in a way like spoilt brats, play up until get what you want.

Its a sad day for me regarding our treatment of him, we always mock the Villa and Wolves but to me we are just as bad, if not worse, at least the Villa waited a couple of seasons before turning on Lambert, some of our fans waited a couple of minutes, others waited a massive 10 x games, what a great chance has been given.

I said it previous, when Irvine gets sacked (and i have no doubt he will) then judging by how our fans react now, i would assume that unless we are above midtable and all out entertainers within a few games then the new manager will be having the p**s taken out of him and chants for him to go? Because thats exactly what we have done with Irvine.

I think Irvine will be gone before too long, he has made mistakes and some of his latest comments are unusual, its okay saying the fans need to bond with him, he never had a chance with some and i think he looks a bloke under pressure and i think JP will pull the trigger.

I apologise for the long post but i get so annoyed with the double standards that i thought would let if off my chest.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 01:02:02 PM by Albion79 »

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4897 on: December 03, 2014, 01:07:28 PM »
79 makes some very fair and valid points, Irvine was on a hiding to nothing (similar to moyes at utd in someways) but he absolutely could and should have done more with his selections and interviews after matches.
Sess sticks out as a very easy quick win but his use of him as been bewildering.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4898 on: December 03, 2014, 01:09:36 PM »
Have to say i speak against the majority here but i think some of our supporters have been an absolute disgrace in their treatment of Irvine.

Anybody who dares to point some counter things out against the criticism Irvine receives (some of it just, some of it not) is deemed to be an Irvine lover or happy clapper, i think its actually called some reality.

None of us wanted the bloke, none of us felt he would do a good job and we may well be proved right but at this time we are 5th from bottom (not bottom 3) despite an awful run of results, yes we could go in the bottom 3 saturday if we lose but we could also go halfway in the league.

From the threats of protests about his appointment to the embarrassing p**staking chants last night, its pathetic. By all means take the mick out of opposition teams and fans, but to do it to your own its ridiculous.

Its complete double standards, there seems to be some crazy Pepe Mel love in, and i personally have no idea why, he was a likeable bloke who maybe got the raw end of the stick, people were saying Irvine was weak last night as he gave into the fans for subs, surely that makes Pepe Mel weak then when the players supposedly refused to play his style, why didnt he drop them and put others in? Yet he gets sympathy for his treatment!

I have been bored watching some Albion games this season, name the last few (last night wasnt boring) but also in previous seasons i have been bored at times watching a Pepe Mel team, a Steve Clarke team, a Roy Hodgson team, a Di Matteo team, whether we like it or not thats part of where we are at as a club, its not a new thing under Irvine, yes he made mistakes and would continue to do so, he should of gone for it more against Arsenal and Newcastle, but i remember under Pepe Mel to name the Man United games and Stoke games (and there were others) at home least season where we barely had a shot, same happened in games under Clarke and same with Hodgson, etc, etc yet none of them had this witch hunt that Irvine has.

The three games prior to last night were s**t and Irvine made mistakes in his selection and his approach however last night was different, we started well, had a bad half hour that cost us and then dominated second half, Dawsons sitter he missed, Anichebe had the keeper make 2 great saves, Dorrans miss at the end plus others, last night we had a go, yes we lost, but apparently according to some of our fans upto the West Ham game, its not the losing, its the way we lost, so surely they should be happier now? Last night whether it was fans pressure or not we had a lot of creativity and a lot of attacking players on that pitch and went for it, its what we have all wanted yet when he does it he is still apparently clueless and dont know what he is doing! The three games prior to last night Irvine deserved the stick as we were dull, boring and went about it wrong, last night was different and he seemed to acknowledge the previous approach wasnt working, whats so wrong with that?

People are very quick to point out Irvines faults, but what about also giving credit where its due? For every Newcastle or Arsenal performance, there is a Tottenham or Burnley, for every borefest game (ie - Everton and Chelsea) there is a entertaining game - Sunderland and Man United, there is also creditable results against Southampton and Leicester.

Irvine took over half a squad in the summer and has had to integrate a lot of new players in, we all knew that out 11 new signings some wouldnt and wont work out, thats the law of averages, Pepe Mel gets a lot of credit for bringing Dorrans back into the fold (and rightly so) yet Irvine has turned Berahinos career around after he seemed to be going nowhere, he has brought Dawson in from the cold when no other manager did and he is now a key player, i think Lescott (arguably our best player) said the main reason he was signing was because of Irvine so how about some credit for the bloke when its due if people are going to slate him for everything.

Varela looked quality and lets hope he starts Saturday, but also he has been injured, he last played in the world cup, didnt do a proper preseason at Porto, started to train with us, played a game then got injured again, there was talk his season was over, he eventually started training again, played the under 21's and Irvine said he would be available start of December and sure enough he was. Its not like he has been fully fit raring to go, he has been injured and not played a proper game for 6 x months so i would imagine he does need easing back in, maybe Irvine did make a mistake and could of put him on the bench the last couple of games, but we all make mistakes, i certainly do.

If we lost the next two then Irvine due to modern day football job would definitely be in jeopardy, it obviously is now, the sad thing is we could win the next two be half way in the league, with a possible FA Cup run to look forward too and yet some would still want him out because he is Alan Irvine, it is in a way like spoilt brats, play up until get what you want.

Its a sad day for me regarding our treatment of him, we always mock the Villa and Wolves but to me we are just as bad, if not worse, at least the Villa waited a couple of seasons before turning on Lambert, some of our fans waited a couple of minutes, others waited a massive 10 x games, what a great chance has been given.

I said it previous, when Irvine gets sacked (and i have no doubt he will) then judging by how our fans react now, i would assume that unless we are above midtable and all out entertainers within a few games then the new manager will be having the p**s taken out of him and chants for him to go? Because thats exactly what we have done with Irvine.

I think Irvine will be gone before too long, he has made mistakes and some of his latest comments are unusual, its okay saying the fans need to bond with him, he never had a chance with some and i think he looks a bloke under pressure and i think JP will pull the trigger.

I apologise for the long post but i get so annoyed with the double standards that i thought would let if off my chest.

Bang on mate, I didn't want Irvine and I don't want him now but last night was cringeworthy and as you say people think they are high and mighty above Villa and Wolves fans but they are exactly the same.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4899 on: December 03, 2014, 01:16:25 PM »

Anybody who dares to point some counter things out against the criticism Irvine receives (some of it just, some of it not) is deemed to be an Irvine lover, i think its actually called some reality.

People are very quick to point out Irvines faults, but what about also giving credit where its due? For every Newcastle or Chelsea performance, there is a Tottenham or Burnley, for every borefest game (ie - Everton and Chelsea) there is a entertaining game - Sunderland and Man United, there is also creditable results against Southampton and Leicester.

Good post 79.

Until the second half last night, I would have stuck with him, but the gung-ho approach to get something from the game basically destroyed his credibility for me.
I don't go to away games but I am a HSTH, & attend all the home games. Most of the time, I understand why he does what he does, & although I may not necessarily agree, there is some logic too it. Last night, he succumbed to fan pressure, & by doing that, walked across the bridge of no return.
Have to agree though, the abuse he has taken from some of our so-called fans is scandalous, it might well pay us to remember that fan's reactions could also be taken into account when we interview for the next head coach, & not only that what decent player would want to join us if he's subject to that abuse
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?