Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1758647 times)

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #1275 on: July 30, 2014, 11:57:13 AM »

i understand what you say but we do need to hit the ground running espescially with our run in

Oh definitely that's without a doubt. I'm just worried that 'winnable games' that we don't win will put unnecessary pressure on him when at the start of the season it's an 'even' playing field for about 10-11 clubs. Look at Southampton, absolutely battered them the season before last, lost first game of the season when it looked like we should have won it and they march on all season to finish 8th. Sure some teams pre- season last season saw us as a tough game because we finished 8th.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1276 on: July 30, 2014, 12:40:52 PM »
We could lose the first four games and it would still be early days and no time to judge. If I recall we had a bad start in Hodgson's first season and finished 10th in the end.
the regime don't like it man

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1277 on: July 30, 2014, 01:16:08 PM »
We've hit 14-17 points in our opening ten games for the last four years. Then finished with a varying degree of success. Our worst haul from the opening five games has been 3 during that time, defeats to Man Utd and Chelsea were part of that but we finished 10th at the end of the season. Steve Clarke picked up 10 points in his first five games and took us to 8th.

So I think there's more of an importance over the first ten games and to immediately look at the sides we're up against. This year we take on four of the same teams we did last season. The only difference being Southampton are decimated, Everton are a far stronger team, Swansea have gone backwards and Sunderland are a Jekyll and Hyde.

We managed just five points from that lot (and Fulham away) which is simply unacceptable. Now this season we are undergoing our own transition which makes this 'easy' start to this season not quite so. That said though, if we are looking to set a benchmark then a figure of 8/9 points should be very realistic if we're looking to improve on last season. There's a real opportunity for us to make our best start to a Premiership campaign looking at the first ten fixtures. Unfortunately it goes hand in hand with having to gel a new squad, manager and way of playing.

valleybaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1278 on: July 30, 2014, 01:35:33 PM »
the only thing is if we do start badly and people start to call for irvines departure we may as well stick with him because everytime we appoint a new head coach they're never the appointment the fans want in the first place.  so it'll start all over again. the only one i remember actually wanting was hodgson and somewere against that.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1279 on: July 30, 2014, 09:26:36 PM »
I think the point is that he WILL not be given ten games, whether he SHOULD be or not is another matter.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

monkey nuts

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1280 on: July 30, 2014, 09:45:34 PM »
Think you'll find he will be mate

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1281 on: July 30, 2014, 09:48:30 PM »
I think the point is that he WILL not be given ten games, whether he SHOULD be or not is another matter.

He will 100% get ten games..

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1282 on: July 30, 2014, 11:03:38 PM »
He will 100% get ten games..

I mean from the fans not the club mate.

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1283 on: July 30, 2014, 11:17:42 PM »
I mean from the fans not the club mate.

O sorry, ye I understand what you mean.  If he loses his first two, the fans will be on his back big time. So important to get off to a good start.

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1284 on: July 31, 2014, 12:45:17 AM »
O sorry, ye I understand what you mean.  If he loses his first two, the fans will be on his back big time. So important to get off to a good start.
No !! the fans who want to voice displeasure IF we lose those games will NOT be on Irvines back, they'll be on JP's back.................the buck stops with him, wasn't that his quote ? No point in booing Irvine, he wont be to blame, he didn't ask for the job, JP asked him remember !!??
He's a lad from the Wrenna

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1285 on: July 31, 2014, 01:05:27 AM »
No !! the fans who want to voice displeasure IF we lose those games will NOT be on Irvines back, they'll be on JP's back.................the buck stops with him, wasn't that his quote ? No point in booing Irvine, he wont be to blame, he didn't ask for the job, JP asked him remember !!??

Logically yes but in reality it will be Irvine who gets the pelters. If we start badly he'll be put under severe pressure very early. We didn't want him and still don't. A couple of defeats from the first 3 games we'll be baying for blood.

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1286 on: July 31, 2014, 01:23:08 AM »
Logically yes but in reality it will be Irvine who gets the pelters. If we start badly he'll be put under severe pressure very early. We didn't want him and still don't. A couple of defeats from the first 3 games we'll be baying for blood.

Most Albion fans are prepared to give him a chance, even the ones who were originally calling him Alan F****************** Irvine, why can't you?   
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1287 on: July 31, 2014, 02:28:24 AM »
Most Albion fans are prepared to give him a chance, even the ones who were originally calling him Alan F****************** Irvine, why can't you?

We have a fantastic chance this summer, maybe a one off chance, to create a really exciting team. If Irvine ruins it I will not be a happy camper, it will take years to repair the damage. If he succeeds I can't complain can I?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1288 on: July 31, 2014, 03:06:23 AM »

Really? When did you poll all Albion fans?

You'll see how much of a chance he is given if things start badly mate.

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1289 on: July 31, 2014, 07:30:53 AM »
Really? When did you poll all Albion fans?

You'll see how much of a chance he is given if things start badly mate.

I didn't say ALL Albion fans, I think as you highlighted the word 'most' you would have realised that  ::) I was merely commenting on the change of tone in many (thats MANY, not to be confused with ALL) supporters opinions following the initial 'shock' of Irvines appointment, you were the one attempting to speak for all Albion fans with your "WE didn't want him & still don't" post.

Bit like your perpetual criticism of Dorrans (despite his form back end of the season) why can't you cut AI some slack?
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

charliemike

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1290 on: July 31, 2014, 07:59:09 AM »
I think the common sense approach would be , the bloke has been given the job let's get behind him .

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1291 on: July 31, 2014, 08:11:15 AM »
Honestly can anyone see us having done this much positivity this summer with signings and an improved club camaraderie had motormouth Sherwood in charge?

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1292 on: July 31, 2014, 09:23:12 AM »
Honestly can anyone see us having done this much positivity this summer with signings and an improved club camaraderie had motormouth Sherwood in charge?

Splendid point. He is, I believe, a divisive character who really wouldn't have brought much positive to the club apart from perhaps as lightly higher profile with the London media.

Anyway, Irvine is here now for better or worse. We may as well back him, and the club.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

ComebackStrodds

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1293 on: July 31, 2014, 10:38:58 AM »

I would have to agree with that. Alan Irvine has more about him than Sherwood.
You can't really see AI naming and shaming players after a shocker.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1294 on: July 31, 2014, 10:54:53 AM »
I'd like to think our fans will support Irvine because the majority of Albion fans are not fickle and won't turn on him after three games. How about we support him like we did with Mel, we saw how much are support made a difference at the end of last season.
the regime don't like it man

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1295 on: July 31, 2014, 11:03:03 AM »
Getting behind the team does make a difference no doubt whatsoever. The outpouring of emotion at the end of the West Ham game, showed how much people do care and the support carried the team through that match.

Like you say, let's have that from minute one against the Mackems.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

wbambdj

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #1296 on: July 31, 2014, 11:23:53 AM »
I think he needs to get some more players in wheres brown not come from nigeria yet so he wont be match fit and the fullback seems far away its not going to give him a very good start
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 12:57:42 PM by B_H_Baggie »

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1297 on: July 31, 2014, 11:47:39 AM »
Without doubt there is degree of humility and honesty about Alan Irvine that could never have been forthcoming from Sherwood. I think this bodes well for us as a team and for us as supporters. (And yes i did say Alan)

I detect levels of admiration for what has been achieved by JP and the crew since our dog pooh of a season and the soap opera we became on and off the pitch last year.

Total hats off to JP, he was pooh and he admitted it and look how far we have come since May. I for one feel a level of confidence and above all integrity that has been restored at the club. I think Alan Irvine has contributed to that.

To be honest after following the ups and downs of the last 60 years , what matters to me above all else, above league position, is the heart and soul of our Club and the way we behave. For me its as more  about how we do, then  it is about what we do.

The Mirror and Mr Savage can go take a flying feck at themselves, we are the Albion, we are force to be reckoned with, we represent the grass roots of top flight football, we don't need  stupid money we don't need foreign investment.

I believe we are seeing a real sea change in our club, a change for the better, a change that we need to support , in the manner we always do....better then anyone else.

As a club, our pride and our self respect was taken away last year......my view is that its back. And God help anyone who tries to take it away this year....

Brummie Road

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1298 on: July 31, 2014, 12:26:16 PM »
Without doubt there is degree of humility and honesty about Alan Irvine that could never have been forthcoming from Sherwood. I think this bodes well for us as a team and for us as supporters. (And yes i did say Alan)

I detect levels of admiration for what has been achieved by JP and the crew since our dog poo of a season and the soap opera we became on and off the pitch last year.

Total hats off to JP, he was poo and he admitted it and look how far we have come since May. I for one feel a level of confidence and above all integrity that has been restored at the club. I think Alan Irvine has contributed to that.

To be honest after following the ups and downs of the last 60 years , what matters to me above all else, above league position, is the heart and soul of our Club and the way we behave. For me its as more  about how we do, then  it is about what we do.

The Mirror and Mr Savage can go take a flying feck at themselves, we are the Albion, we are force to be reckoned with, we represent the grass roots of top flight football, we don't need  stupid money we don't need foreign investment.

I believe we are seeing a real sea change in our club, a change for the better, a change that we need to support , in the manner we always do....better then anyone else.

As a club, our pride and our self respect was taken away last year......my view is that its back. And God help anyone who tries to take it away this year....

I really enjoy reading posts like this and the "Albion against the world" kind of theme.

I feel an increasing number of supporters tend to agree with these sentiments.

As always there will be some either online (not on this site particularly) or at the matches who attempt to belittle positive attitudes and fair enough, that's their opinion, though I honestly believe some are only content when they have something to moan about and take pleasure in sitting in their seats having a dig at various club personnel, and watching proceedings with a face like a slapped backside.

But we're a couple of weeks away from the big KO, and as far as I can see Peace has kept to his word (following his post season statement of intent on the Official Site) and we appear to have done some decent business in the transfer market.

The impression I get is everyone at the club is now singing off the same hymn sheet and that positive alone can't be underestimated when you are at a club whose resources are clearly towards the bottom end of the Premiership finance table.

Can't wait for the new season now and this Saturdays friendly at Forest and now feel relaxed about AI's appointment 

To "robnewbold" - great post mate.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1299 on: July 31, 2014, 12:37:53 PM »
I didn't say ALL Albion fans, I think as you highlighted the word 'most' you would have realised that  ::) I was merely commenting on the change of tone in many (thats MANY, not to be confused with ALL) supporters opinions following the initial 'shock' of Irvines appointment, you were the one attempting to speak for all Albion fans with your "WE didn't want him & still don't" post.

Bit like your perpetual criticism of Dorrans (despite his form back end of the season) why can't you cut AI some slack?

You said most. The only way to determine if most people do something is to ask all the people? It's easy maths mate.

As to the we, just meant me and my old man who I go the game with. Cheers though.