Author Topic: Chris Brunt admits West Brom struggled with Darren Moore's tactics  (Read 10966 times)

timdon

• Senior Baggie

Re: Chris Brunt admits West Brom struggled with Darren Moore's tactics
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2019, 10:53:26 AM »
Brunt has past form for these hindsight comments complaining about managers once they are gone. If he comes out with these comments publicly after they have been sacked, it is easy to imagine that he is coming out with them in the dressing room when they are still there. In other words, he is undermining the manager. He should have been shipped out last year, but unfortunately I can see him being given a contract extension at the end of the season. Much the same applies to Morrison,want him out but believe he will still be here next year.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2019, 10:55:27 AM »
Brunt says we should be setting the tempo at home and this for me is one major problem, there is too often no tempo to our game. We don't harry the opposition we just concede possession and sit in. We don't get about teams we don't play with any intensity. Our goal kicks take forever, our throw ins take forever, everything is slow. It's all way too comfortable for the opposition. This I'm almost certain is down to the mentality installed mainly by Graeme Jones.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2019, 10:58:15 AM »
Brunt says we should be setting the tempo at home and this for me is one major problem, there is too often no tempo to our game. We don't harry the opposition we just concede possession and sit in. We don't get about teams we don't play with any intensity. Our goal kicks take forever, our throw ins take forever, everything is slow. It's all way too comfortable for the opposition. This I'm almost certain is down to the mentality installed mainly by Graeme Jones.

Yeah, I've noticed the same.  We seem to just wait for the opposition to make a mistake and lose possession rather than win possession back.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2019, 10:58:36 AM »
According to reports which include direct quotes from the players.

They couldn't work with Mel's high press
Lost their way under Irvine
Got bored of the drudgery of Pulisball
Lost their discipline under Pardew
Weren't comfortable playing out from the back for Moore,

You have to ask the question what will they be comfortable doing for the multi million pound contracts?

That is just pathetic from Brunt.
Maybe most football players (or most people at work, I agree with 17GD) are just happier/better performing with managers who are a bit more hands off on detail and trust them to make decisions on the pitch - look at ManU under Ole after Jose and his nitpicking, we were at our best in recent years with Hodgson who had a pretty basic system but seem to allow the players a fair bit of tactical responsibility on the pitch.  Back in the day, Willie used to sometimes pop over to the other wing for a few minutes for no particular reason, and the midfield would drift the other way to compensate, I don't recall there being "water bottle" conferences about it or a lot of managerial arm waving.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2019, 11:01:49 AM »
If the mentality/role/system/tactics have been rigidly dictated, then you might well lose intensity because you are concentrating on what you have been told to do instead of getting in amongst them.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2019, 11:13:56 AM »
Maybe most football players (or most people at work, I agree with 17GD) are just happier/better performing with managers who are a bit more hands off on detail and trust them to make decisions on the pitch - look at ManU under Ole after Jose and his nitpicking, we were at our best in recent years with Hodgson who had a pretty basic system but seem to allow the players a fair bit of tactical responsibility on the pitch.  Back in the day, Willie used to sometimes pop over to the other wing for a few minutes for no particular reason, and the midfield would drift the other way to compensate, I don't recall there being "water bottle" conferences about it or a lot of managerial arm waving.

Willie was either doing a deal for a shed or organising his crate of Newcastle Brown Ale that's why he used to pop over to the other wing.
There was always a reason
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2019, 11:20:57 AM »
Not struggling to pick up their 1,000,s of pounds wages a week are they

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2019, 11:56:08 AM »
Willie was either doing a deal for a shed or organising his crate of Newcastle Brown Ale that's why he used to pop over to the other wing.
There is that

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2019, 12:50:49 PM »
Arguably the most successful period in our recent history was when Roy Hodgson was in charge; he set us up to play in a counter-attacking manner when we had players capable of causing problems with their pace and movement (Long / Odemwingie) and players who could find the passes to them (prime Brunt, Morrison).

That's what the squad became comfortable doing, and in keeping it together, they became accustomed to that; if it was any other style, they no longer felt comfortable. When Mel said the squad needed to be broken up, the club panicked and sacked him instead, but he had a point.

The fact is despite losing most of that team, the players Pulis bought in were drilled to do the same thing, and many were too limited to do anything else.

It's what I said all along; Moore wanted to change the style, but not the players. If he was intent on changing styles, we needed a bigger turnover of players. If he wanted to keep the squad together, he had to play the way they were accustomed to.

Now we're messing about with a scattershot approach, looking at managers who play all different styles of football because we've got no long term plans other than simply 'promotion'. We need a Dan Ashworth now more than ever.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2019, 01:18:05 PM »
Its a reflection of the players and club than it is Darren Moore.

We were all sold the pretense in the summer about attacking football and the new culture within the football club.

The club should have backed their manager and over-hauled the squad as it requires.

They got rid of Mel, Irvine, Pulis, Pardew and now Darren Moore..

Quite frankly, I'd rather have seen the back of some of the players rather than Moore.

I feel sorry for the next bloke who will no doubt lose his job when these players cannot cope with his demands.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2019, 01:43:35 PM »
What a numpty, we played alright first half of the season with a full strength squad. In other news players not good enough to win automatic blame another manager for trying to win games.

Are these not the same players who discredited, Pulis, Mel and pardrew? So they only liked Irvine and Clarke, hmmm.

Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2019, 01:51:32 PM »
Its a reflection of the players and club than it is Darren Moore.

We were all sold the pretense in the summer about attacking football and the new culture within the football club.

The club should have backed their manager and over-hauled the squad as it requires.

They got rid of Mel, Irvine, Pulis, Pardew and now Darren Moore..

Quite frankly, I'd rather have seen the back of some of the players rather than Moore.

I feel sorry for the next bloke who will no doubt lose his job when these players cannot cope with his demands.
It's the Pulis curse mate. Too many over-rated British players with "Premier League experience" that work aaard, put a shift in and are lovely lads. Unfortunately, they have very little in terms of footballing ability and what they did have has been trained out of them. This means they are only comfortable without the ball and defending in numbers.
Falloutboy has hit the nail on the head, if Moore wanted to change the style then he should have ditched the deadwood and brought in some hungry young talent who are actually comfortable with the ball at their feet. He did try with the likes of Barnes, Holgate, Murphy and Harper but ultimately, got stuck somewhere in the middle and it cost him his job.
The sad thing is, the board seem to have no idea of what direction they go in next but, if they listen to Brunt and try and get a manager that fits the squad, it will be Pulis mark II.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2019, 02:27:23 PM »
Brunt has to face up these interviews as club captain, they are heavily moderated by the club who want to control the narrative.

He's never going to come out saying it's harsh or the players are completely at fault.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2019, 04:21:41 PM »

Before the new year our front 3 were flexible in terms of not sticking in their positions, Yooung Barnes would pop up anywhere across the line and Jrod often drifted in / out, however when Barnes went we have for some reason become rigid, therefore predictable and consequently easier to nullify.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2019, 04:56:32 PM »
I have to agree about player's attitudes regarding past managers. Most of the managers mentioned were "nice" guys, which is probably why the player's initially wanted Moore.
But management should take responsibility for the attitude of the players. At the end of the day it's down to the head coach to instill discipline and play a team to it's strengths, and not to a dream.

We need a young up and coming no nonsense manager, in the image of say....Brian Clough.

Not too much to hope for is it?

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2019, 05:14:00 PM »
I have to agree about player's attitudes regarding past managers. Most of the managers mentioned were "nice" guys, which is probably why the player's initially wanted Moore.
But management should take responsibility for the attitude of the players. At the end of the day it's down to the head coach to instill discipline and play a team to it's strengths, and not to a dream.

We need a young up and coming no nonsense manager, in the image of say....Brian Clough.

Not too much to hope for is it?

Would you be happy with Gerrard or Lampard?

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2019, 05:23:51 PM »
I think nowadays players in general do hold too much influence, most of our other managers seemed nice guys (not sure what to make of Pardew) but Pulis certainly wouldnt of been a pushover but this group of players managed to even get rid of him.

Like said previous i think if this was a one off then you would agree with some of Brunts comments but because its happened so often it suggests a deeper running problem.

I dont think it matters who the manager is, it would seem this group rule the roost, the only way to do that is to move them on, its catch 22 because (a) if we go up we get a load of money so it isnt so much of an issue like it is now, and the players will be kept on for another season (despite ruling the roost but also getting worse in terms of ability) but (b) if we stay down the players are likely to be sold to recoup some money back but we have to rebuild and that takes time and potentially a lot of it.

I understand the reasons why option (a) is important, but i would rather we did option (b) these players have seen off nice managers, smooth managers, experienced managers, inexperienced managers, they can seemingly see off who they want so i think we need to break them up not keep changing managers.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 05:26:51 PM by Albion79 »

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2019, 05:43:20 PM »
not buying that it's all down to Moore's tactics, this from a player who 1,struggles to get a game.
2, struggled when he got a game.
it's a combination of tactics and the inability of our players to carry out those tactics. we've got plenty of overpaid players even after the pay cut.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2019, 05:56:08 PM »
Would you be happy with Gerrard or Lampard?

I wouldn't mind Alex Neil, but i think thats something the media have invented.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2019, 06:11:00 PM »

Oh for that kind of thing now.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

baggyman68

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2019, 06:57:37 PM »
perhaps its Brunts way of putting himself forward for the job?  :o

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2019, 10:59:24 PM »
Can we keep this to Brunts comments about Moore please and other Brunt stuff in his specific topic. No posts have been deleted before anyone starts whining, they have been merged elsewhere
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

wbastrollers

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2019, 02:45:49 PM »
I wouldn't mind Alex Neil, but i think thats something the media have invented.

Can't see us buying off his contract with Preston.

Initially I wasn't to enamoured with Neill, however, in his favour he had a lot of injuries early season -  Preston are now on fire, just 2 points off the play off's. He may not be a such a bad fit after all?

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2019, 03:16:51 PM »
I'd still like to know how much they were DM's tactics and how much was Jones's influence?
I still think there is much to be learned one day about what realy went wrong and how it was allowed to happen 
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2019, 03:22:37 PM »
I'd still like to know how much they were DM's tactics and how much was Jones's influence?
I still think there is much to be learned one day about what realy went wrong and how it was allowed to happen

Look no further than the end of last season compared to how Everton, Wigan and us {this season} have set up.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.