Author Topic: Ben Foster  (Read 772378 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Official: Ben Foster joins Watford
« Reply #3175 on: July 06, 2018, 09:52:38 AM »
Think the clique was broken up when Myhill and McAuley were released and Morrison's future is up in the air. Has had a huge bearing on Fozzie leaving imo. This interview everyone keeps citing where he said he'd stay and get us back up... refer to the 3rd or 4th paragraph about keeping a strong core of players up for a fight. He clearly feels we haven't done this.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3176 on: July 06, 2018, 09:54:55 AM »
Think the clique was broken up when Myhill and McAuley were released and Morrison's future is up in the air. Has had a huge bearing on Fozzie leaving imo. This interview everyone keeps citing where he said he'd stay and get us back up... refer to the 3rd or 4th paragraph about keeping a strong core of players up for a fight. He clearly feels we haven't done this.

Yeah, but we've got £4m for it and if Watford get 18 months out of him then it's a good deal for everyone.

The sooner we get all the remnants of last season out the door, the better.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3177 on: July 06, 2018, 10:26:58 AM »
Yeah, but we've got £4m for it and if Watford get 18 months out of him then it's a good deal for everyone.

The sooner we get all the remnants of last season out the door, the better.

New coach. New players. New era.
Lets get on with it.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3178 on: July 06, 2018, 10:28:29 AM »
Best keeper I've personally ever seen at the Albion. We were incredibly lucky due to his family being settled that he stuck with us for so long. We'll struggle to attract a keeper anywhere near as good as him in the future. It's those game changing saves that you really miss when all is told.

However, saying that, he's probably only got a couple more really good seasons in him so we were going to have to start looking for a replacement eventually anyway.

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3179 on: July 06, 2018, 11:33:21 AM »
Hands down the best keeper we've had in my time supporting the club but he leaves under a big cloud with his refusal to train.  Big shame, should have left a legend.
"This crack is really moreish."

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3180 on: July 06, 2018, 12:57:11 PM »
Ben was a class act for us, but he was one of many over the years we’ve had between the sticks.

Stuart Naylor
Tony Gooden
John Osbourne
Chris Kirkland
Thomas Kuszczak
Ray Potter
Russel Hoult

There are a few others, whose names escape me at the moment, but I’m sure others will add to this list and probably disagree with some I’ve mentioned
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3181 on: July 06, 2018, 01:13:09 PM »
Alan Miller was superb when he first arrived

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3182 on: July 06, 2018, 02:02:31 PM »
Ben was a class act for us, but he was one of many over the years we’ve had between the sticks.

Stuart Naylor
Tony Gooden
John Osbourne
Chris Kirkland
Thomas Kuszczak
Ray Potter
Russel Hoult

There are a few others, whose names escape me at the moment, but I’m sure others will add to this list and probably disagree with some I’ve mentioned
Kirkland played 10 league games for us, he can hardly be put in the same bracket as Foster and while he was highly rated at the time his performances were nothing spectacular.
"This crack is really moreish."

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3183 on: July 06, 2018, 02:17:25 PM »
Foster the best keeper we had in my Albion watching lifetime (mid 80s onwards). We only kept him because he was committed to the area , otherwise he'd have played for a top six club.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3184 on: July 06, 2018, 02:37:48 PM »
Very sad news to lose best keeper I've seen at the club. And who I thought was one of the stalwarts at the club. What I don't understand is that he must have known he was getting a pay reduction with relegation. It's obvious that if Man City or most Prem clubs come knocking at the door they are going to be able to comfortably match West Brom's wages. 
But in spite of that, he said he would be staying.
This is starting to look like a major cock-up by the club.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 02:40:21 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3185 on: July 06, 2018, 02:46:37 PM »
Not really bothered if I'm being genuinely and much of that is down to his replacement. We've seen with keepers how they can come back after a summer a shadow of their former selves once they get into their mid 30's. We've signed a fantastic keeper as his replacement who is ten years his junior.

Foster said he'd stay and then acted totally unprofessionally. Goodbye. Nowhere near as gutted as when Hoult was released to be honest.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3186 on: July 06, 2018, 02:53:26 PM »
Not really bothered if I'm being genuinely and much of that is down to his replacement. We've seen with keepers how they can come back after a summer a shadow of their former selves once they get into their mid 30's. We've signed a fantastic keeper as his replacement who is ten years his junior.

Foster said he'd stay and then acted totally unprofessionally. Goodbye. Nowhere near as gutted as when Hoult was released to be honest.

Only reason I'm at all upset about this thing. I really do wish him well he was great for us, only sorry he said one thing and did another. Should have kept your gob shut Fozzie... but good luck, fresh young legs and keen minds is what we need now anyway.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3187 on: July 06, 2018, 04:01:20 PM »
New coach. New players. New era.
Lets get on with it.

"Where" ;) lol

garry

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #3188 on: July 06, 2018, 04:26:10 PM »
The only thing that annoys me is his hypocrisy
Very happy with the replacement

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3189 on: July 06, 2018, 06:23:33 PM »
Good Goalie but Ossie,Godden and Houlty better!

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3190 on: July 06, 2018, 06:25:23 PM »
Good Goalie but Ossie,Godden and Houlty better!
Didn’t see much of the first two. I’d have foster a fair bit ahead of Hoult though.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3191 on: July 06, 2018, 06:37:33 PM »
Didn’t see much of the first two. I’d have foster a fair bit ahead of Hoult though.

Russell was a great goalie mate.Should of played for England but he played for little old West Brom.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3192 on: July 06, 2018, 11:36:03 PM »
By miles the best keeper we've had since the turn of the century, anybody saying different is probably slightly bitter about the way he's gone about leaving. Personally, I don't care who leaves, whenever we get back into the PL we'll have the means to sign players as good as/better than any who've left - as do any of the tinpot clubs currently occupying the bottom half of that division.

Foster would have needed replacing in the next year anyway, we've signed a decent keeper with 10 years on him for minimal net spend so I'm pretty relaxed about it.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3193 on: July 07, 2018, 12:33:34 AM »
Harold Pearson, Jimmy Sanders, John Osborne, Tony Godden, Alan Miller, Stuart Naylor, Russell Holt all better than Foster nothing to do with his behaviour or bitterness towards him just a fact.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3194 on: July 07, 2018, 01:50:37 AM »
Harold Pearson, Jimmy Sanders, John Osborne, Tony Godden, Alan Miller, Stuart Naylor, Russell Holt all better than Foster nothing to do with his behaviour or bitterness towards him just a fact.

1. Turn of the century = 2000 onwards.
2. The only one since then is Hoult, who was nowhere near Foster's ability.
3. Have you really just stated, as a fact, that a goalkeeper who played in the 1920's, who you never watched play, was better than an England international goalkeeper from the modern era?   ???

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3195 on: July 07, 2018, 06:28:32 AM »
1. Turn of the century = 2000 onwards.
2. The only one since then is Hoult, who was nowhere near Foster's ability.
3. Have you really just stated, as a fact, that a goalkeeper who played in the 1920's, who you never watched play, was better than an England international goalkeeper from the modern era?   ???

Hoult was quite possibly the most underrated goalkeeper in English football at his peak for us and the only reason he wasn't capped was because he played for us. I'd agree with wba_1996, I'd rate Hoult as better. Personal opinion though I guess.

I'd also argue Foster was sold by Man Utd when we have another modern day goalkeeper who was actually signed by Man Utd. So does that give The PIG more reason to be named our best than Foster?

Hoult for me is the best I've seen.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3198 on: August 08, 2018, 11:19:51 AM »
Suggests that he didn't like the changes that were being made under Moore?

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3199 on: August 08, 2018, 11:53:48 AM »
Suggests that he didn't like the changes that were being made under Moore?

I read it more along the lines of higher up the food chain.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.