Poll

Who will be the next West Brom manager? *FINAL VOTE*

Ralf Rangnick
Chris Hughton
Andre Villas-Boas
Ray Wilkins
Michael Appleton

Author Topic: Next Manager  (Read 1276614 times)

collins101

• Youth Baggie

Re: Next Manager
« Reply #1400 on: May 16, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
I'd personally like Michael Laudrup, good reputation in the game and hasnt done bad in his managerial career

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1401 on: May 16, 2012, 06:20:58 PM »
I don't know, if we were getting Hughton I think we would have heard something by now. Don't think we have him as first, or close to first, choice anymore.

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1402 on: May 16, 2012, 06:22:12 PM »
Holloway >_<

I agree but 90% on here dont :D

I think we should just go and get Hughton, most of us will be content with that appointment
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1403 on: May 16, 2012, 06:25:19 PM »

I agree but 90% on here dont :D

I think we should just go and get Hughton, most of us will be content with that appointment

Agreed , i think its also a case of him fitting the bill. He could become part of this club, and the building of it could be a real project and his first steady managerial job. He brings a lot of PL experience to the table albeit as an assistant.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1404 on: May 16, 2012, 06:40:42 PM »
Agreed , i think its also a case of him fitting the bill. He could become part of this club, and the building of it could be a real project and his first steady managerial job. He brings a lot of PL experience to the table albeit as an assistant.

That's precisely why I am not overkeen personally. Yes he has potential but so did Mowbray and RDM.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1405 on: May 16, 2012, 06:52:17 PM »
That's precisely why I am not overkeen personally. Yes he has potential but so did Mowbray and RDM.

We are shopping for managers who only have potential though. Yes we were linked with Ranieri but that looks like a red herring now. We could go for experience like Curbishley but he is old fashioned and then the only experienced coaches we can get are from abroad. If we look in this country, we are always taking a isk.

Hughtons coaching experience and relative success at 2 clubs as a head coach/manager are positives.
Boing Boing

Critical Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1406 on: May 16, 2012, 06:59:28 PM »
I think the club probably know who they are going to appoint, but according to the Birmingham Mail they like to carry out extensive interviews and gauge what others have to say. Clear to see the club are demonstrating good diligence, compared to the Wolves at least!

Looking at the odds today, seems a lot of the odds on names have drifted, but I guess that's understandable with the Liverpool and Villa sackings.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/west-brom-specials/next-permanent-manager

Odds mainly have been cut on Chris Hughton, Roy Keane, Lee Clark and AVB.

My bet would be Hughton.
Frank Burrows Appreciation Society

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1407 on: May 16, 2012, 08:00:37 PM »
Clear to see the club are demonstrating good diligence, compared to the Wolves at least!
Aren't we supposed to have a fantastic database arising from the meticulous research we routinely do on managers on an ongoing basis, so that we're ready to move as soon the need arises? Well, the need has arisen and other clubs may well be looking at some of the people on our short-list, so it's time to stop faffing about and get on with proper interviews and appointing someone.

wdbroun

« Reply #1408 on: May 16, 2012, 08:24:04 PM »
AVB: It's really hard for me to imagine AVB strutting around the Hawthorns -- something just doesn't feel right there.

Is Kenny totally out of the question for WBA? It would serve him right.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1409 on: May 16, 2012, 08:26:05 PM »
Aren't we supposed to have a fantastic database arising from the meticulous research we routinely do on managers on an ongoing basis, so that we're ready to move as soon the need arises? Well, the need has arisen and other clubs may well be looking at some of the people on our short-list, so it's time to stop faffing about and get on with proper interviews and appointing someone.

FFS calm down luv  ::)
We are notorious for not washing our dirty linen in public, all these processes you mention are probably in full swing as we speak.
CL said on his web chat that we are still on course to make an appointment by the end of the month, that'll do for me.
What's the saying? Marry in haste, repent in leisure!
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

DudleyBaggieFan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1410 on: May 16, 2012, 08:30:09 PM »
Appy is starting to get mentioned more and more now. Speeding up I think.
Wolves 1- 5 WBA
12/2/2012
Never Forgotten

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1411 on: May 16, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
Let's hope it's speeding up towards not appointing him then, as he really doesn't have the experience we need at this point in time.

JBullyWBA

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1412 on: May 16, 2012, 08:42:32 PM »
I fear the competition from Liverpool and Villa may kill our chances of a Premier League experienced manager.

Unless Liverpool go for Martinez, I can't see them fishing in the same pond as us but if them and Villa nick Norwich and Swansea's gaffers, we'll be under serious pressure.

I can't see us signing a 'big name'. Despite speculation, it'll all be stepping stone talk like Hargreaves and Ranieri.

I've heard Collin Tattum suggest that Blues have gotten under Hughton's skin (apparantly the bloke knows him well on a personal level) and we'll struggle to entice him.

I think we're more likely to get a foreign manager no one has heard of and for this reason I fear for the attraction of staying/ coming to Albion. I think we'll probably lose the likes of Olsson and Foster. Even Shane Long said he wants a 'big name'. A pivotal summer awaits, I just hope DA and JP's homework will pay off.

wdbroun

« Reply #1413 on: May 16, 2012, 08:54:51 PM »
Let's hope it's speeding up towards not appointing him then, as he really doesn't have the experience we need at this point in time.
Agree totally -- please no. It would be a huge gamble.

wdbroun

« Reply #1414 on: May 16, 2012, 08:58:19 PM »
I've heard Collin Tattum suggest that Blues have gotten under Hughton's skin (apparantly the bloke knows him well on a personal level) and we'll struggle to entice him.
Let's hope. How much great "dignity" can Chris Hughton have if he drops his team so easily. I understand we live in a world where money talks, but loyalty should count for something, too. Hughton needs to stay put and show that he's capable of making a commitment. I frankly wouldn't trust him as a long-term solution to the manager question if he's so willing to jump ship.

JBullyWBA

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1415 on: May 16, 2012, 09:01:43 PM »
Let's hope. How much great "dignity" can Chris Hughton have if he drops his team so easily. I understand we live in a world where money talks, but loyalty should count for something, too. Hughton needs to stay put and show that he's capable of making a commitment. I frankly wouldn't trust him as a long-term solution to the manager question if he's so willing to jump ship.

So who would you appoint then?

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1416 on: May 16, 2012, 09:01:51 PM »

Mentioned where?

Appy has to be about bottom of any 'lists' we have if he even makes them. Knowing the X and O's inside out is only half the job, then you have to be creative, highly intelligent, experienced, a strong leader and motivator, able to handle the media circus, and driven to win etc. It's a very demanding job which is why there are so few outstanding coaches about.

I've nothing against Appy but I simply think that this job is a number or two too big for him as things stand now.

wdbroun

« Reply #1417 on: May 16, 2012, 09:03:02 PM »
So who would you appoint then?
You're making the bold assumption that I know what I'm bloody talking about.  ;D Have no idea. Erm, Kenny Dalglish?

JBullyWBA

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1418 on: May 16, 2012, 09:11:01 PM »
You're making the bold assumption that I know what I'm bloody talking about.  ;D Have no idea. Erm, Kenny Dalglish?
Haha, apologies!

BaggieBoyLee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1419 on: May 16, 2012, 10:05:40 PM »
I'm hearing pretty strong stories about AVB, so sure that one person I know has lumped £50 on him. Take that how you will  ;D
"West Bromwich Albion; making the impossible - possible"

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1420 on: May 16, 2012, 10:10:03 PM »
Hughton is now odds on with all bookies.
Gera, Gera, Gera

derbybaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1421 on: May 16, 2012, 10:16:47 PM »
Baggie79 do you expect an announcement regarding a new manager to come quickly now as regards to a lot of job opportunities becoming available elsewhere ?

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1422 on: May 16, 2012, 10:23:14 PM »
If anyone is looking for someone from left field how about Bernd Schuster, I posted this in March & I still think he would be a great fit for the Albion, having worked with many clubs of a similar(ish) size, (exception being Real Madrid who he won La Liga with) available, so no compo, worth a look JP/DA  ;)     

I personally think/hope Roy will stay, if he's not offered the England job.

If he did leave, a manager that I would love to see at the Albion is Bernd Schuster, he has massive experience & has had a lot of success throughout his career, he would be used to working in our system as he has done with other European clubs.

I think he would be a very exciting appointment for the fans & maybe able to take the club forward to new heights & I'm sure he is currently available after leaving Besiktas.

Only downside is he can be a bit volatile & outspoken especially with the media but you cant always go for the 'safe' option.   

Might see if the bookies will take a bet off me, for him tomorrow!  ;D
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1423 on: May 16, 2012, 10:25:31 PM »
Bernd Schuster is a very very good shout, experience, world name, available with no compensation .... Very good shout.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1424 on: May 16, 2012, 10:29:17 PM »
Baggie79 do you expect an announcement regarding a new manager to come quickly now as regards to a lot of job opportunities becoming available elsewhere ?

I have no idea but what I would suggest is that if the appointment is very quick it will be Hughton/Appleton but if it goes for a couple of weeks I think we are talking about the bigger name managers.
Gera, Gera, Gera