Poll

Who will be the next West Brom manager? *FINAL VOTE*

Ralf Rangnick
Chris Hughton
Andre Villas-Boas
Ray Wilkins
Michael Appleton

Author Topic: Next Manager  (Read 1270443 times)

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

Re: Next Manager
« Reply #1125 on: May 10, 2012, 12:03:11 PM »
More than likely going to be Hughton i would imagine not that i am disappointed.

jonny

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1126 on: May 10, 2012, 03:02:18 PM »
On the plus side, IF it is Hughton I imagine he would be keen on making the Foster deal permanent rather than someone like Ranieri?

baggie steve

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1127 on: May 10, 2012, 03:14:51 PM »
I think that Hughton would be the most likely to continue Hodgson's great work.
He knows the premier and championship players inside out, compared to Ranieri ,
plus what Peace will like about him , he can work wonders on a budget !!
After his years at Newcastle and Blues he would enjoy working for a club that doesn't have to sell all the time.

Give him a go J.P.  ;)

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1128 on: May 10, 2012, 03:20:46 PM »
My choice is Ranieri 100%. Wont have many chances to get a manager of this stature and quality, great opportunity for the club in my opinion

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1129 on: May 10, 2012, 03:23:23 PM »
I was very keen on Hughton last week, but certainly have my reservations about him now.

What 1 game has changed your entire view on him...

Football has become a fickle sport...

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1130 on: May 10, 2012, 03:40:27 PM »
My choice is Ranieri 100%. Wont have many chances to get a manager of this stature and quality, great opportunity for the club in my opinion

I agree totally.

I see someone like Hughton as a Championship manager with potential and nothing more. Roy's boots will be very hard to fill but we need to bring someone in with good experience.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

davestat

« Reply #1131 on: May 10, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
Does anyone know what Ranieri actually thinks? All I have seen is that he has been approached; nothing about his response.  I fear it may not have been positive!

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1132 on: May 10, 2012, 03:54:36 PM »
Does anyone know what Ranieri actually thinks? All I have seen is that he has been approached; nothing about his response.  I fear it may not have been positive!

Managerial version of Owen Hargreaves, don't hold your breath.

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1133 on: May 10, 2012, 03:55:10 PM »
Yes it looks like you CH lovers could well get your wish.Out thought out played last night by my preferred choice

2-2................just about held on more like. yet again ably demonstrated that his teams have not got a clue how to defend

jonny

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1134 on: May 10, 2012, 03:55:44 PM »

My thoughts as well.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1135 on: May 10, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »
Yes it looks like you CH lovers could well get your wish.Out thought out played last night by my preferred choice

If thats how we're playing it. Your preferred choice finished behind Birmingham City & Chris Hughton in the league, and also lost at St Andrews 3-0. Is one game really a reflection reflection? As has been pointed out, it came to the stage where Blackpool were holding on and almost fluffed their 3-0 advantage.

Since the appointment of Roy we have came along way. We've finally got ourselves a strong defensive base and we should build upon that. Eratic managers like Holloway will come along and destroy that meaning we'll probably face the problems we encounted under Tony Mowbray and Roberto Di Matteo. A manager who can follow, or at least be similar to Roy Hodgson's phillopshy would be the right choice in my opinion. An appointment like Holloway would ruin Hodgson's hard work over the last 18 months.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1136 on: May 10, 2012, 04:14:06 PM »

Stay till March then, win the Carling Cup and go  :-*

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1137 on: May 10, 2012, 04:27:59 PM »
Slaven Bilic you heard it here first ;)
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1138 on: May 10, 2012, 04:30:58 PM »
I've read a few comments on here saying that Ranieri may be using us to advertise his availability for a "better" job....does anyone really think that Ranieri needs to use a club like ours to attract a bigger club...surely he is well known enough to not need to do that?

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1139 on: May 10, 2012, 04:32:12 PM »
I've read a few comments on here saying that Ranieri may be using us to advertise his availability for a "better" job....does anyone really think that Ranieri needs to use a club like ours to attract a bigger club...surely he is well known enough to not need to do that?

Could say the same for Hargreaves.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1140 on: May 10, 2012, 04:41:02 PM »
Could say the same for Hargreaves.

Not really the same thing 1 was a player who hadn't played for the best part of 3 years and had a lot to prove the other has managed Inter & Juventus in that time. Also I might be wrong but didn't we approach Hargreaves rather than him contacting us? from what I've read Ranieri's agent contacted us so just maybe there is genuine interest?

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1141 on: May 10, 2012, 04:42:04 PM »
In all of this you have to remember who is making the appointment. JP will not want a flamboyant shoot from the hip media whore like Holloway. Solid and dependable media friendly to a point but not rent a quote and above all else willing to work within the structure and financial constraints that exist at the club. This rules out most of the old guard Ranieri being the exception because he has spent most of his career in Italy and Spain where most clubs have a director of football.

I am not sure Hughton is a shoo in unless the situation at Birmingham is set to become even more dire I feel he might stick with them, he certainly did not strike me as a man with one eye on the exit in his media interviews last night.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

popbaggie28

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1142 on: May 10, 2012, 05:16:43 PM »
Slaven Bilic you heard it here first ;)
are you itk?

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1143 on: May 10, 2012, 05:21:08 PM »
The odds on Poyet in particular :D and Hughton have shortened today whilst Rainieris have drifted.As with Curbishley earlier i would have thought if it were to be the Tinkerman things would have progressed by now as he is available immediately.
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1144 on: May 10, 2012, 05:36:56 PM »
Not to be a party pooper but is it not obvious that nobody will be announced until after the last game.
Gera, Gera, Gera

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1145 on: May 10, 2012, 05:40:30 PM »
The thing with Hughton which i have said from the off, is that he seems a decent loyal bloke, he got crapped on a Newcastle and after getting a chance at Blues he may feel loyalty to them. Also he has a great reputation there and probably has employment for at least 2 years guarenteed as they have had to start again, if he had a bad year with us he would be gone. According to that Peter Pan bloke in his programme notes last night he said things arent great but not as bad as being portrayed and they have investors ready, it may be a spin but if it is true then that may affect Hughtons thinking, its his squad he has built pretty much from scratch.

Another thing, we are better than Blues at the moment but i have said before its not like leaving Blues to go Man City, although we are an attractive propoistion we have also probably reached our limit or very close too it league wise so it will be tough for whoever comes in to exceed Roystons achievements.

From JP's point of view, i imagine it would cost a few quid to buy Hughton too, the Blues will try and milk it for him which i dont blame them, that may affect JP's thinking.

Saying all the above, wouldnt surprise me he takes over!

baggie steve

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1146 on: May 10, 2012, 07:17:09 PM »
Not to be a party pooper but is it not obvious that nobody will be announced until after the last game.

Maybe even longer than that, but I'm sure lots of work has already been done to nail the right man ?

Interesting that Poyet has shot up the odds league ? 7/2 with skybet.

And Webby , what gives you the thought about Bilic ? Just a notion or something you've heard ?

Seagull

« Reply #1147 on: May 10, 2012, 07:39:10 PM »
The odds on Poyet in particular :D

Evening.

Gus has stated that he will not apply for jobs but if a club approached him then he would consider their offers.

There is nothing to suggest that any of the clubs named would approach him as he doesn't have enough experience yet imo. He's only had one season in the Championship so far. He has another 3 years on his contract so it would mean a fair bit of compensation ( £2 million ) to get him. I think it was 2M when Wolves enquired which put them off immediately.

There are unemployed Prem experienced managers out of work at present who could do a job. It's a slow news day for sport. When he goes eventually I would trust Tony Bloom to get a good manager in to replace him.

This what we think about today's news involving Wolves, Villa and yourselves.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?242565-Poyet-quot-on-the-verge-of-quitting-Brighton-quot

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/video/2232352162/EXCLUSIVE-Poyet-does-things-his-way

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1148 on: May 10, 2012, 07:41:09 PM »
are you itk?

i think he probably just read the Bilic story where he has said this Euro champs will be the 'end of his Croatia story'. Maybe putting 2+2 together

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1149 on: May 10, 2012, 08:03:09 PM »
Gus Poyet would be a good appointment and does have experiance in the Prem, ok only as a assistant at Spurs but so did Chris Hughton. Personally i would be ok with him but only if he could bring in a good number 2 like Ray Wilkins. I think he will be on the shortlist.
BOING BOING