Poll

Who will be the next West Brom manager? *FINAL VOTE*

Ralf Rangnick
Chris Hughton
Andre Villas-Boas
Ray Wilkins
Michael Appleton

Author Topic: Next Manager  (Read 1276718 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: Next Manager
« Reply #1075 on: May 09, 2012, 06:35:59 PM »
And they have to cut costs again this year , hardly appealing is it ??

On the subject of the shortlist of 4
Mine would be
Ranieri ...proven, good draw
benitez...proven , good draw
rdm...as learned and improved
Martinez proven (ish) needs a bigger club.

I dont think mcinnes will be on it regardless of his relationship with JP, Jp is a businessman and a pretty bloody good one as well..

The problem is Zippy it is a bit of a fantasy list. Raneri and Martinez aren't out of the realms of possibility but, certainly in Martinez's case, the assertion that he will move to a "bigger club" and then come to us is maybe a bit of over statement of our size. Why would Martinez jump at the idea of leaving a side who battle against Relegation and will go down in the next 2 or 3 years to join a club who battle against relegation and, although are better off, are still only aiming for 10th place. He might come, but I think he will wait for an offer from an Everton, Fulham or Sunderland - a club who might make Europe.

If you put RDM and Benitez in, you may as well put Guardiola and Wenger in as well because they are all just as likely. Benitez knows if he waits he will end up at a title challenger somewhere and if RDM doesn't get the Chelsea job now, he will simply take one of the job offers from another top club who will now jump at having him.

Martinez and Raneri are outside shots at our job, but I still believe Hughton or somebody similar will be in charge next season.
Boing Boing

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1076 on: May 09, 2012, 06:37:27 PM »
there is no way we can compete with the Vile, they are simply massive over us.Always have been always will be.Anyone that says different is deluded

Think you ll find we are doing OK this season? Bigger club yes but if your a baggies fan would you really care that much? Next few years might be interesting because at the moment I dont see Villa making much more progress than us.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1077 on: May 09, 2012, 06:46:59 PM »
Given a straight choice between ourselves and Villa I am afraid that Ranieri will choose them. While they are an awful mess right now from a coach's point of view it is not a bad time to take them over. The fans expectations have been dampened down whoever takes over will be hailed as hero just for not being McLeish. The squad isn't terrible providing that nobody thinks they are going to be qualifying for the champions league and Lerner will spend some money just to avoid the financial disaster that is relegation.

Whereas we at the Albion we are pretty much in a situation that is difficult to improve upon and there is less potential to work with.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1078 on: May 09, 2012, 06:51:38 PM »
Martinez would see us as a step up (see table) and we have a system of progression in place and a very well structured club.

Are villa a bigger club, yes, god knows we have all heard about the history, however they are tightening their belts , people point out that they have spent big before so have Portsmouth and Leeds , they will not be spending big this year and will be trimming down bent out Karl Henry in .

Can't wait for next season
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1079 on: May 09, 2012, 06:52:53 PM »
Think you ll find we are doing OK this season? Bigger club yes but if your a baggies fan would you really care that much? Next few years might be interesting because at the moment I dont see Villa making much more progress than us.

It all depends what Villa's plans are for next season and how this season has helped their finances.

They have had to scale back over the last 2 years financially, although the Darren Bent signing may have set them back a little.

Their player sales and transfer savings may these last few years may have put them on more of a solid foot and maybe this summer they will start to spend again, albeit it in a more sensible way. If that is the case, with a bigger wage bill, an increasing transfer fund and a solid base in the academy, Villa will be a better proposition than we are to managers.

If however they still need to make savings, then any manager will look at the 2 teams, one with a top 10 team (2 years on the trot in the central mid table positions suggests a strong team), with insignificant debt and a strong structure, and another with a team that only just survived relegation and in a mess, and they may decide we are stronger.

None of us can be sure of Villa's financial situation at the moment or summer plans. A lot will depend on that.
Boing Boing

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1080 on: May 09, 2012, 07:06:39 PM »
It’s all Roy Roy Roy but where next for West Bromwich Albion?
Posted on May 9, 2012 Joel Ramey
It looked like Harry Redknapp, it felt like Harry Redknapp, it was certain to be Harry Redknapp, but alas it wasn’t Harry Redknapp after all. Following months of speculation and some well-voiced opinions from players, managers, and the media alike, the FA sprung a remarkable and ironic surprise on the nation when it came to announcing a new England manager…

On May 1st, 2012, it was announced that West Bromwich Albion manager Roy Hodgson would be the man to sign on the dotted line and become England manager for the next 4 years. The initial reaction to the appointment was one of bemusement – ‘Why not Harry Redknapp?’ was the question on the majority of peoples lips.

It didn’t take too long for Roy’s appointment to sink in and now everyone from players to managers, pundits to journalists and even the most opinionated of football bloggers have pledged their support for Hodgson. Roy may not be the personality take on the mammoth task that is the England job, but he is one of the most experienced English managers ever and his CV speaks for itself. Many see the England job as a poisoned chalice, managing a country that has underachieved in recent years, but has to keep pace with the world’s footballing giants or risk being left behind – the odds are already against Hodgson, but it is a job Hodgson will relish like some many other before.

It is not just Hodgson that the odds are against. His departure leaves a gaping hole in a club that has longed for a manager of his caliber for a long time. West Brom have not had the most illustrious of Premier League careers thus far. They are firmly established as a ‘yo-yo club’, generally getting relegated as quickly as they get promoted from the Championship. They last experienced this with Tony Mowbray back in the 2008/2009 season, a season in which they suffered the ignominy of finishing bottom of the Premier League with the title ‘whipping boys’.

West Brom’s latest return was under Roberto Di Matteo in the 2010/11 season after a successful campaign lead them to finish second in the Championship. The alarm bells started to ring at West Brom after Di Matteo experienced a run of 13 defeats in 18 games that would cost the Italian his job and leave West Brom hovering above the relegation zone. On February 11th, 2011, Roy Hodgson, fresh from a little break in the sun after his Liverpool sacking, took charge of the then struggling club.

The result? Hodgson would lead West Brom to their highest league finish (11th) for 3 decades.

Having carved out a reputation for himself as a top class manager at underachieving clubs, it seemed Hodgson had found himself a home once again. At last this ‘yo-yo club’ had found some stability that could keep them in the Premier League for the long term. With safety from relegation very much guaranteed this season and the club’s subsequent stay in the top flight extended, losing Roy Hodgson is a huge blow to West Brom in a bigger way than meets the eye.

Everyone forgets how far Roy Hodgson has bought West Brom and how integral he was to their continued Premier League status – now the pressure is on for West Brom to appoint someone to fill Hodgson’s rather large boots. The new manager will be tasked with galvanizing a squad who were firmly behind Hodgson as well as being able to live up to the high standards that Hodgson has set – Hodgson has a CV like no other having coached throughout Europe, so who can West Brom replace him with?

Had it been Harry Redknapp after all, one could just imagine the amount of quality applications that would’ve poured in at White Hart Lane. Top quality managers vying for control of a club with a growing status in the sport, a fantastic squad, and a decent transfer kitty. West Brom are a club with modest resources and a status that was only just stabilizing under Hodgson. They simply will not have their pick of the kind of managers that they need. Indeed, Roy Hodgson was a rare find for them, a manager who thrives against ever lengthening odds, a manager that has been hugely undervalued.

We have seen what can happen when a club loses a figurehead who fits – look at Charlton’s fall from grace. Every clubs aspires to ‘do a Charlton’ and Hodgson was well on his way to taking West Brom there as the club sits tenth in the Premier League, improving on last seasons eleventh place finish. England fans may have initially rebuked at the appointment of Roy Hodgson, but try finding another Roy Hodgson – it’s a hard task and don’t West Brom know it.

Thought this sort of summed the situation up quite nicely!

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1081 on: May 09, 2012, 07:21:01 PM »
Could you post the link up ruby ruby?

Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1082 on: May 09, 2012, 07:31:18 PM »
Im not sure I agree with the article that much. The basic premise - that Hodgson will be hard to replace - is true.

The tone though suggested the author was looking down his nose at us. For instance, we were not the premier leagues whipping boys under Mowbray. We only finished 2 or 3 points from safety that season and out played most teams we played with the downfall of having a poor defence and having just lost 2 of our key attacking players in that summer.

I also dont agree that we  "simply will not have their pick of the kind of managers that [we] need". Yes Spurs would have had a better choice but already we have been approached by people like Ranieri as well as other foreign coaches according to the local media and I actually feel there are some good choices out there who could be worth hiring.

If you do your research, and we will have done, there will be young managers out there who are good enough. All that is required is the forward thinking of clubs in Germany and Holland. If we can find a younger manager with an open mind, then we should be able to replace Hodgson, even if the new manager does not guarantee a 10/11 place finish like Hodgson seems to.
Boing Boing

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1083 on: May 09, 2012, 07:41:05 PM »
Could you post the link up ruby ruby?

Im not sure how you do that baggies? but the article is off a site called footballrascal.com

devonbaggiecjaj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1084 on: May 09, 2012, 07:43:45 PM »
there is no way we can compete with the Vile, they are simply massive over us.Always have been always will be.Anyone that says different is deluded
you enjoy taking the p@@ ;D

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1085 on: May 09, 2012, 07:59:14 PM »
you enjoy taking the p@@ ;D

i agree with him to a certain extent to be fair to him. Most forieners would choose Villa over us even at this moment in time

popbaggie28

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1086 on: May 09, 2012, 08:08:40 PM »
When hodgson left Fulham i expected them to struggle but he seems to have laid some solid foundations there,Heres to hoping he has done the same with us!

jonny

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1087 on: May 09, 2012, 08:21:54 PM »
When hodgson left Fulham i expected them to struggle but he seems to have laid some solid foundations there,Heres to hoping he has done the same with us!

But they have appointed well in Martin Jol.

popbaggie28

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1088 on: May 09, 2012, 08:26:21 PM »
Yes they have but i still feel Hodgson laid the foundations.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1089 on: May 09, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »

They did well with Mark Hughes too. Both reasonably high profile managers with Prem experience. Who currently available would you put into this bracket?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

jonny

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1090 on: May 09, 2012, 08:34:41 PM »
Yes they have but i still feel Hodgson laid the foundations.

I do agree, but they appointed well to ensure their progress continued.

We are at a crossroads now, as Fulham kind of were when Roy left them.

Mike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1091 on: May 09, 2012, 08:47:41 PM »
I was very keen on Hughton last week, but certainly have my reservations about him now. 

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1092 on: May 09, 2012, 08:57:45 PM »
I said Holloway all along.His football and personality will do for me
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

Mike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1093 on: May 09, 2012, 09:00:08 PM »

I don't like him or his personality, but he's a top class manager.  Totally outclassed and out-thought Hughton over the two legs.

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1094 on: May 09, 2012, 09:24:25 PM »
I fail to see why a player would currently choose Villa over us? Currently we are better than them. We are moving forwards. Villa financially are in a bit of a mess. They have an inept manager. I suppose they would be willing to offer irresponsible wages though which is the key.

Mike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1095 on: May 09, 2012, 09:26:25 PM »
I fail to see why a player would currently choose Villa over us? Currently we are better than them. We are moving forwards. Villa financially are in a bit of a mess. They have an inept manager. I suppose they would be willing to offer irresponsible wages though which is the key.

Long term -villa are a much better prospect. 

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1096 on: May 09, 2012, 09:29:10 PM »
We can never compete with Villa on salaries or fans
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1097 on: May 09, 2012, 09:57:10 PM »

Then get relegated because he hasnt a clue about defending

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1098 on: May 09, 2012, 09:59:18 PM »
5 up top/ bare at the back?......no thanks we need to keep along the lines of Roy in terms of shape and defending first in order to keep the club progressing.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1099 on: May 09, 2012, 10:00:54 PM »
With Blues resigned to another year in the Championship it should now be much easier for us to attract Chris Hughton - if that is the Director's wish. Our first raid on St Andrews, however, must be for Ben Foster. It must be done immediately, though, as other clubs such as Spurs are bound to be interested.