Poll

Who will be the next West Brom manager? *FINAL VOTE*

Ralf Rangnick
Chris Hughton
Andre Villas-Boas
Ray Wilkins
Michael Appleton

Author Topic: Next Manager  (Read 1276702 times)

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

Re: Next Manager
« Reply #1050 on: May 09, 2012, 10:01:18 AM »
Wouldn't touch RDM with a s***** stick, he's gone in at Chelsea, reversed all the changes AVB made and got extremely lucky twice against Barca. Anyone could have changed their fortunes. He had no idea how to reverse the spiral we were in when he got the bullet. Of our previous managers the only one I'd consider would be Mowbray, and that would be close to a last resort.

You don't get extremely lucky against Barca twice.  You're understating just what he's done there to turn things around.  When he got the sack from us it was just as we were getting our players back from injury and suspension, as well as having an easier run of 3 games.  At some points in Dec\Jan we were without pretty much all our back four.  Keep in mind when he got the sack he had the same number of points as Roy did this season.  That's including Roy having Foster instead of Carson, MaCauley, Ridgewell, Jones, Gera, Long, etc.  I'd be happy with RDM back.  Would prefer not to go back to an old manager (Ranieri then Hughton for me), but I'd take him ahead of Mad Mick, Bruce, Curbishley, Warnock, etc.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1051 on: May 09, 2012, 10:02:02 AM »
Noticed Mowbray has gone down to 6-1 at William Hill and 8-1 at Ladbrokes.

I think hes got unfinished business at The Hawthorns.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1052 on: May 09, 2012, 10:15:44 AM »
Am I just being pessimistic thinking that pethaps Ranieri is getting himself in the shop windows using us as coverage for another bigger job?

Wouldn't that apply to any manager with ambitions? We are always going to be a stepping stone for players / managers etc. If they leave us in a better state then they have done a good job.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1053 on: May 09, 2012, 10:17:15 AM »

God, i hope not. We dont want to go backwards after 2 great years in the prem. Mr Mowbray is in the past now, thanks but a big NO thanks.
Lee Probert's Barmy Army!!!

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1054 on: May 09, 2012, 10:18:48 AM »
God, i hope not. We dont want to go backwards after 2 great years in the prem. Mr Mowbray is in the past now, thanks but a big NO thanks.

I wouldn't have minded so much but his "players need to be loyal" speech and then buggering off put me off.  And then his spell at Celtic was pretty poor considering he only has one team to beat a season.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1055 on: May 09, 2012, 10:23:04 AM »
I never liked him. He should have got us promoted first season with the squad we had. OK so we won the league ( and so we should have with a very good squad) playing some great stuff but with the lowest points total for years. He's done nothing since. I thought RDM's achievements were far better.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1056 on: May 09, 2012, 10:51:55 AM »
I wouldn't have minded so much but his "players need to be loyal" speech and then buggering off put me off.  And then his spell at Celtic was pretty poor considering he only has one team to beat a season.

The relationship with Celtic goes beyond football though.  He was always going to go there with his history.

dan7heman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1057 on: May 09, 2012, 10:54:56 AM »
Ranieri would be a fantastic marquee signing by the club and would send out the right message about the clubs intentions for the future.

Fingers crossed.... Hughton was my preferred choice but Ranieri would even eclipse that.
It is a mistake to theorize before one has the facts. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

mank baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1058 on: May 09, 2012, 10:56:16 AM »

The relationship with Celtic goes beyond football though.  He was always going to go there with his history.
well let the judas go back there

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1059 on: May 09, 2012, 11:15:14 AM »

As far as i remember TM and JP parted on poor terms.Not quite Megson levels but its a non starter imo.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1060 on: May 09, 2012, 12:12:44 PM »
Going to be interesting few weeks, its only rumours but it was going round last night Mcleish had been sacked and now it appears its already done he leaves after their final game vs Norwich on sunday.

That would leave us and Villa in the Prem looking for a new manager, i think we do have a genuine interest in Ranieri but as somebody pointed out previous i wonder if he is touting it around that he is available and seeing what comes in, if he wants to work in topflight in England its basically us or Villa.

As much as i hate to say it i think he would probably go to Villa. Although we have a better team and squad at the moment as the league suggests, unfortunately Villa are a bigger club than us (although we are catching up well in all areas) and they have a money man in charge who has the potential to spend big if he wants, we dont have that. Lerner has been playing it tight the last season or two, although they still spent 20m on Bent, £4m Hutton, £5m Given, £10m N Zogbia but he proved with O Neill that he can spend big if he wants and i think if he was to use that sales patter to Ranieri, Ranieri would end up there. Also i would be surprised if Villa got a manager from another team again, the last 3 seasons they have paid off ONeill, Houliier and possibly Mcleish as well as a transfer fee for Mcleish so i imagine somebody out of work will fit the bill!

All the above is hypothetical about Villa and they may choose to go down the same route as this year but there is so much apathy and hatred there the owners must realise they got to do something different and thats why it would not surprise me Ranieri ends up there. From Ranieri point of view, making it public he likes West Brom is making it clear he dont expect a top 4 job but he is available for the right club, notice AVB and Benitez havent declared their interest, they will wait on top jobs and that would rule Villa out too.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1061 on: May 09, 2012, 01:05:55 PM »
Going to be interesting few weeks, its only rumours but it was going round last night Mcleish had been sacked and now it appears its already done he leaves after their final game vs Norwich on sunday.

That would leave us and Villa in the Prem looking for a new manager, i think we do have a genuine interest in Ranieri but as somebody pointed out previous i wonder if he is touting it around that he is available and seeing what comes in, if he wants to work in topflight in England its basically us or Villa.

As much as i hate to say it i think he would probably go to Villa. Although we have a better team and squad at the moment as the league suggests, unfortunately Villa are a bigger club than us (although we are catching up well in all areas) and they have a money man in charge who has the potential to spend big if he wants, we dont have that. Lerner has been playing it tight the last season or two, although they still spent 20m on Bent, £4m Hutton, £5m Given, £10m N Zogbia but he proved with O Neill that he can spend big if he wants and i think if he was to use that sales patter to Ranieri, Ranieri would end up there. Also i would be surprised if Villa got a manager from another team again, the last 3 seasons they have paid off ONeill, Houliier and possibly Mcleish as well as a transfer fee for Mcleish so i imagine somebody out of work will fit the bill!

All the above is hypothetical about Villa and they may choose to go down the same route as this year but there is so much apathy and hatred there the owners must realise they got to do something different and thats why it would not surprise me Ranieri ends up there. From Ranieri point of view, making it public he likes West Brom is making it clear he dont expect a top 4 job but he is available for the right club, notice AVB and Benitez havent declared their interest, they will wait on top jobs and that would rule Villa out too.

In truth they spent nothing with the money coming in from the diver, Downing and Barrie
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1062 on: May 09, 2012, 01:13:26 PM »
I know what you mean tuamigos but could you ever see us spending £10m plus on a player? I personally cant, i am not knocking it, out the signings mentioned i think there is only Given and Bent been half decent for them so goes to show money isnt everything but i think with somebody like Ranieri if he knows he has the option to spend £10m, £15m, £20m on a player then that would appeal.

I think its the way we are setup as a club (and it works) that even if we sold say Mulumbu for £10m and Odemwingie for £10m i would expect us to sign 4-5 players for £3-4 million rather than another 2 players for 10m each.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 01:16:12 PM by Albion79 »

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1063 on: May 09, 2012, 01:15:39 PM »
In truth they spent nothing with the money coming in from the diver, Downing and Barrie
And they have to cut costs again this year , hardly appealing is it ??

On the subject of the shortlist of 4
Mine would be
Ranieri ...proven, good draw
benitez...proven , good draw
rdm...as learned and improved
Martinez proven (ish) needs a bigger club.

I dont think mcinnes will be on it regardless of his relationship with JP, Jp is a businessman and a pretty bloody good one as well..
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1064 on: May 09, 2012, 01:17:34 PM »
I know what you mean tuamigos but could you ever see us spending £10m plus on a player? I personally cant, i am not knocking it, out the signings mentioned i think there is only Given and Bent been half decent for them so goes to show money isnt everything but i think with somebody like Ranieri if he knows he has the option to spend £10m, £15m, £20m on a player then that would appeal.

I think its the way we are setup as a club (and it works) that even if we sold say Mulumbu for £10m and Odemwingie for £10m i would expect us to sign 4-5 players for £3-4 million rather than another 2 players for 10m each.
Give Dan 20million and he will get us the players for europe..
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1065 on: May 09, 2012, 01:18:32 PM »
For the record i am not saying Villa are a bigger attraction than us at the moment, at the present time we would be more appealing but they have an owner who has proved he will spend big and he can do so again if he wants (according to the local journalists he is planning to spend big again this summer which makes think Mcleish definitely wont be there) where as we dont and with certain managers that will turn their head.

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1066 on: May 09, 2012, 01:18:49 PM »
there is no way we can compete with the Vile, they are simply massive over us.Always have been always will be.Anyone that says different is deluded
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1067 on: May 09, 2012, 01:24:10 PM »
I agree Zippy, i think the way we are run and scout we would get good value for the £20m (example), i think somebody like a Hughton or up and coming manager would buy into that and get 4-5 players from it, my doubt would be with a Ranieri is would they want that on 2 players.

If we could get Ranieri then i think we should but i think he may have his head turned elsewhere.

westbrom87

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1068 on: May 09, 2012, 01:56:04 PM »
Thing is, are we talking in our example about 20mill that covers just transfer fees, or wages as well.

If its just transfer fees, we'd improve our squad massively.  If its wages as well, Jp would probably only allow a couple of players from that amount, because of the usual offsetting the wages for the duration of their contract.  Thats why our budget tends to be quite small.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1069 on: May 09, 2012, 02:11:00 PM »

Wasn't it reported that he wasn't happy here when he left anyway?

For what its worth, anyone who wants him should think again. The Mowbray of Middlesbrough plays direct football. Only he's not particularly successful at that either.

wappingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1070 on: May 09, 2012, 04:40:03 PM »
Paolo Di Canio?

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1071 on: May 09, 2012, 04:45:05 PM »
Wasn't it reported that he wasn't happy here when he left anyway?

For what its worth, anyone who wants him should think again. The Mowbray of Middlesbrough plays direct football. Only he's not particularly successful at that either.

I'd be surprised if they did.

All he spoke about when he was at us was 'philosophy, philosophy, philosophy'.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1072 on: May 09, 2012, 05:48:05 PM »
Paolo Di Canio?

Horrid little Fascist..wouldn't want him anywhere near Albion
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Roy of the Baggies

« Reply #1073 on: May 09, 2012, 06:16:04 PM »
surely it has to be Martinez........his style will fit in perfectly with out current players (plus an addition or two up front)

AlbionLegend

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #1074 on: May 09, 2012, 06:24:55 PM »
What is the fascination with Martinez? Every season Wigan are down at the bottom and then pull off a few wins to scrape to safety at the end.
I've got those West Bromwich Blues!