Poll

Who will be the next West Brom manager? *FINAL VOTE*

Ralf Rangnick
Chris Hughton
Andre Villas-Boas
Ray Wilkins
Michael Appleton

Author Topic: Next Manager  (Read 1276473 times)

tipton baggie 80

• Youth Baggie

Re: Next Manager
« Reply #925 on: May 06, 2012, 12:28:18 PM »
Views on respective managerial considerations from our 'friends' in staffordshire...

http://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=72005

;D
West Bromwich Albion, finishing above Staffordshire's finest when in the same league over the last 12 years

NethertonBaggie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #926 on: May 06, 2012, 12:40:57 PM »
Awwwww bless there little cotton socks, there finaly starting to realise that there little club isnt as important as we are!

LegendOfAstle

« Reply #927 on: May 06, 2012, 01:07:21 PM »
The main thing i would be worried about with Ranieri is the fact he wont be around for long. Like roy, he moves from club to club for various reasons.

Do we want another roy who will stay for 1 season and do well (potentially)? or Do we want to find a long term manager who can sustain our current position?

My worry is, that although this might work for another season or 2 going down this route, in the end it will catch up on us.

westbrom4ever

« Reply #928 on: May 06, 2012, 01:10:32 PM »
If we were to employ Ranieri, I would hope it's a 12 month contract.

That way if he fails which I think he will, we wouldn't be left in a situation where we have to make a massive pay off which we can't afford.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #929 on: May 06, 2012, 02:30:00 PM »
I made a post earlier on this topic and it's disappeared?

I read on the 02 football page that Hughton may become the new Albion boss even if Blues go up. Hope there's some truth in this.

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #930 on: May 06, 2012, 02:54:30 PM »
I made a post earlier on this topic and it's disappeared?

I read on the 02 football page that Hughton may become the new Albion boss even if Blues go up. Hope there's some truth in this.

I hope so, he would still be my ideal choice.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #931 on: May 06, 2012, 03:05:28 PM »
Raj, the difference between roy and ranieri is that roy has been there and done it before (mostly the example best noted with fulham) with lesser clubs and got the best out of them - and improved them.

I'm not saying Ranieri wouldn't do well here, all i am saying is that i would rather a "been there and done that" manager than someone who clearly hasn't.

The "been there, done it" attribute is oing to be very hard to find. If that is the main skill set we are looking for in a manager, then Ranieri will probably get the job. Most of the managers we will be looking at WILL be inexperienced because there arent many experienced coaches out there who will come to WBA - not successful ones anyway. I think people have got a bit carried away with who we could get really.

Ranieri's career has actually taken in some smaller clubs. Parma is one example but apart from that his early career included taking a side from Serie C to Serie A.

I dont mind people saying they dont want Ranieri, and instead wanting someone like Hughton. I understand why they many want that. But we need to stop expecting experience because there arent many available.
Boing Boing

jonny

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #932 on: May 06, 2012, 04:55:12 PM »
Ideal scenario. Roy given microphone at full time to say a few words and then introduces ranieri as new manager.....

Wbahunty

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #933 on: May 06, 2012, 05:57:45 PM »
Ranieri would be brilliant!

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #934 on: May 06, 2012, 06:27:49 PM »
dont want him !!!!!!!!!!!! tinker of somewhere else

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #935 on: May 06, 2012, 06:39:24 PM »
Struggling here to understand why someone would want a Championship standard manager in Paul Jewell who with Derby has one of the lowest points totals in Prem history over an experienced European coach who got Chelsea to 6th and the FA Cup Final before Abrahamovic came along (yes they had more money to spend than us but still)
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #936 on: May 06, 2012, 06:44:08 PM »
Paul Jewell - The man who still thinks Ellington is Premier League standard

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #937 on: May 06, 2012, 07:11:11 PM »
Another way of looking at Ranieri or any other candidate is why are they joining us? In Hodgson's case it was  obvious he wanted to get back into football with the view to getting the England job (mission accomplished) which is why his contract expired this summer.

So aside from the obvious that he is between jobs at the minute what is Ranieri's motivation? I doubt whether it is purely financial having been a top coach for over a decade I would hope he has been able to hang on to some money for his old age.

Apart from the fact that he likes living and working in England why would he take on the role? He is unlikely to win much he will be working with players a couple of notches down in quality to those he worked with at Inter. He is not of an age where he realistically harbour ambitions to use us as a stepping stone to one of the bigger jobs in English football.   

If I could figure out a why then I might believe Ranieri will be turning up at the Hawthorns, but in the meantime I will remain sceptical. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #938 on: May 06, 2012, 07:16:50 PM »
We are 2000/1 to get relegated next season (Paddy Power & Stan James) so if you think we are going to end up with a poor manager who will relegate us then get your quids on now!

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #939 on: May 06, 2012, 07:18:53 PM »
Why did Bobby Robson take the job at Newcastle?

Ranieri did extremely well when he was in the Premier League with Chelsea, overall Ranieri's record in the PL is far superior to Hodgson's, and Ranieri has 199 PL games to Hodgson's 276 (before joining us Roy had about the same PL experience as Ranieri). Why wouldn't Ranieri want to do a job he loves in the most entertaining league in the world? By the looks of it Ranieri does his best job when he can build teams and that is what he would be doing with us.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #940 on: May 06, 2012, 07:23:51 PM »
Reality is that we are a club where a big name manager will see it as a possible step up to a bigger job and get their career back on track. In the Premier League we could realistically be the highest placed finisher looking for a manager so options for managers to get in the Prem will be limited unless they want a guaranteed relegation battle with the likes of villa.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #941 on: May 06, 2012, 07:27:46 PM »
We are 2000/1 to get relegated next season (Paddy Power & Stan James) so if you think we are going to end up with a poor manager who will relegate us then get your quids on now!
Have only checked Stan James but I think that's 2000/1 to win the league ..... ? I had my tenner ready 2000/1 to be relegated would be an interesting insurance bet.

Avonbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #942 on: May 06, 2012, 07:30:06 PM »
Have only checked Stan James but I think that's 2000/1 to win the league ..... ? I had my tenner ready 2000/1 to be relegated would be an interesting insurance bet.

Haha i had my £10 lined up as well but its actually to WIN the league

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #943 on: May 06, 2012, 07:42:01 PM »
Why did Bobby Robson take the job at Newcastle?

Ranieri did extremely well when he was in the Premier League with Chelsea, overall Ranieri's record in the PL is far superior to Hodgson's, and Ranieri has 199 PL games to Hodgson's 276 (before joining us Roy had about the same PL experience as Ranieri). Why wouldn't Ranieri want to do a job he loves in the most entertaining league in the world? By the looks of it Ranieri does his best job when he can build teams and that is what he would be doing with us.

Newcastle were his home town club and at the time still harboured ambitions to be one of the top teams in Europe. When I last heard Ranieri speak I didn't pick up on his Black Country accent and unfortunately we are at best a mid-table premier league team being 10th is not a platform from which we will spring to dominate European football.

Ranieri does not need a route back into English football his next job is an end in itself and as such I find it difficult to believe he will be our next manager, I would be delighted if he turns up at B71 but in the words of  the grumpy old gits prophet "I don't believe it"
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #944 on: May 06, 2012, 07:49:07 PM »

Correct it is to win the league! How stoopid of me  :P

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #945 on: May 06, 2012, 07:52:31 PM »
Reality is that we are a club where a big name manager will see it as a possible step up to a bigger job and get their career back on track. In the Premier League we could realistically be the highest placed finisher looking for a manager so options for managers to get in the Prem will be limited unless they want a guaranteed relegation battle with the likes of villa.

We should use that as a selling point as I'm sure we tell players that prove yourself here and earn your big move.

Mowbray went onto Celtic - RDM now a potential double winning Manager at Chelsea - Hodgson just got the biggest job in international football.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #946 on: May 06, 2012, 07:56:45 PM »
Correct it is to win the league! How stoopid of me  :P

Funny, so the bookies reckon every 2000th year or so we sign Jesus to perform some miracles for us from midfield!

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #947 on: May 07, 2012, 12:42:44 PM »
http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/149452.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

Claudio Ranieri has suggested he could be open to taking the West Brom job following Roy Hodgson's appointment as England manager.

Ranieri, who had a spell at Chelsea between 2000 and 2004, is on the hunt for a new role having being sacked by Inter Milan in March.

Inter had won just one of ten league matches before his sacking, and were eighth in Serie A at the time when he left the club.

But despite his forgettable tenure at the San Siro, Ranieri can still point to an impressive CV, and would give consideration to adding the Baggies to the list of clubs he has managed.

Asked if he would like to come back to manage in England, and whether he would be receptive to an approach from West Brom, Ranieri told ESPN: "Why not? Never say never. I will listen to everything. If there is a good project, why not."

Hodgson will remain in charge of West Brom until the end of the Premier League season, before turning his attention to England's Euro 2012 campaign

There's the link of the ESPN website for those which were looking for it.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #948 on: May 07, 2012, 12:59:27 PM »
I see this going 2 ways....

1, We will play it safe and go for Hughton- I would be happy with Hughton because he did a great job at the toon and the blues considering the mess both clubs were in. He has experiance in the Premier League.And he gives youth a chance, for example Carrol at Newcastle and Redmond at the Blues.

Or

2, We go for Ranieri who no doubt is a very good manager and would get other clubs thinking that we mean buisness. But my only concern with Ranieri is will he be able to work with our current structure and with a limited budget.

I think personally,we will go for Hughton.
BOING BOING

wilma_carstart

« Reply #949 on: May 07, 2012, 02:43:54 PM »
Can i ask a question. Why would Chris Hughton want to go to a club that he has already rejected a job offer from, less than 18 months ago ?

What can Albion offer him to make him change his mind and resign at Blues.bear in mind Pannu got £3m compensation out of the Villa for McLeish do you think he will just let Hughton walk away for free ? 

Rumours are growing that Blues will soon have new owners  Hughton will know the facts behind these rumours.
would he want to leave knowing what he does ?

Yes i am based but i do not think he will leave based on his past.

It will be nice to see Ben foster back home at Blues on Wednesday night