Poll

Who will be the next West Brom manager? *FINAL VOTE*

Ralf Rangnick
Chris Hughton
Andre Villas-Boas
Ray Wilkins
Michael Appleton

Author Topic: Next Manager  (Read 1276339 times)

Wbamitch

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Next Manager
« Reply #650 on: May 01, 2012, 08:13:47 PM »
Have also agreed with the majority of votes regarding the top 2. Also my number one choice would be the leading manager in Chris Hughton.

I felt he was very harshly sacked at Newcastle and if i recall they was not doing so bad. Excluding him i did struggle to see one that i would feel confident about keeping us up at least.

My second choice was obviously Roberto Martinez who has experience in the premier league and although sometimes at a squeeze and maybe a bit fortunately he has been keeping Wigan up for a few years. He's renown for a free flowing style of football but as we know that is not always the key to stay in this league. As of late he does seemed to have resolved the defensive issues and Wigan look quite solid and i feel we have a better defence than them. I do see it very unlikely in us taking him from Wigan which is why i have voted him 2nd.

It seems the Birmingham Play off story will play a big part in our huge summer coming up. Potentially our first choice manager should they fail in that challenge and Hughton seeks premiership football, also the matter concerning Ben Foster's future.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #651 on: May 01, 2012, 08:18:43 PM »
McLaren is interesting. Clearly a good coach but was wrong for the England job. Forest ? Seems financial promises were broken.  Villa decided against him after fan backlash but he would have done a far better job than McLeish.

A far better option than Curbishley who has been out of management too long.

I'd include McLaren in my shortlist with Hughton and Martinez.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #652 on: May 01, 2012, 08:22:11 PM »
sorry, but not after Forest. I don't want the wally anywhere near here. he has only done well in the Dutch league (somehow) so they can keep him

segagod

« Reply #653 on: May 01, 2012, 09:07:50 PM »
Ian holloway for me. If not him then hughton or martinez.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #654 on: May 01, 2012, 09:09:56 PM »

In fairness he didn't do a bad job at Middlesbrough.

Sessegod

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #655 on: May 01, 2012, 09:10:32 PM »
As long as the decision isnt too late for the manager to get the whole of pre season in.
Even Cillit would have banged that one in..

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #656 on: May 01, 2012, 09:12:07 PM »
Baggies4eva if your such an expert on the Albion you would know why 'sealandair' is relevant to the club.

I am not a wind up merchant, i deal only in Facts ,.

WHO told you this board Roy would be our manager a week before his appointment ?

WHO told you this board he would be gone before the end of this season to take the England job ?

WHO told this board RDM was for the high jump on the saturday night before he got the bullet?

WHO told you all Shane Long was signing ?

Sealandair Thats who.

You lot keephanging on to 'lepko's' every word.. he would saw his right arm off to have my inside knowledge/access to the club.

that is all

Sounds like a wrestlers speech that does!

Can you smell what Sealandair is cooking!

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #657 on: May 01, 2012, 09:25:21 PM »
The only new, interesting name I've heard on the thread is Ray Wilkins, although I bet Sky are paying him more money than we would.

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #658 on: May 01, 2012, 09:29:47 PM »
Pep Guardiola 100/1 with Stan James anyone going to open their wallets

No  ;D
Gera, Gera, Gera

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #659 on: May 01, 2012, 09:44:59 PM »
Ozzie would be fantastic, it would never never happen but as KK said "I would love it"
Gera, Gera, Gera

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #660 on: May 01, 2012, 10:13:52 PM »
The only new, interesting name I've heard on the thread is Ray Wilkins, although I bet Sky are paying him more money than we would.

These days, I can't beyond Uncle Fester when I look at him, which would be a problem for me!  ;D

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #661 on: May 01, 2012, 10:28:46 PM »
There seems to be a generation shift atm when you look at the British coaches. On one hand you have the Hodgsons, Curbishleys, Moyes, Fergies, Bruces, Redknapps, Dalglieshs, McLeishs, Hughes, O'Neills etc. The interesting young up and coming ones are from overseas (RdM, Poyet, Martinez), or have experience from abroad like Lambert. Then we have Rodgers, Mackay, Adkins, Powell. But there doesn't seem to be much in between. Guess the old farts have been recycled for too long. I'd like to see someone with a modern take on football.

letmereadposts

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #662 on: May 01, 2012, 10:33:50 PM »
The only option which appeals to me is Martinez. I think he has enough PL experience, has kept a team up, plays attacking football and also fits the bill as a young up and coming manager. I think he could help us consolidate whilst simultaneously not bore us with rubbish football.

Whether he would join us is another thing, however. He turned down Villa because he recognised serious problems in a backwards club. It shows he's astute. I think if he is willing to listen to what we have to offer, Peace and Ashworth are capable of the big sell.

Other than Martinez no one else seems a realistic and promising appointment.

We can say what we like about Hodgson, but he's left some damn big shoes to fill here..

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #663 on: May 01, 2012, 10:39:36 PM »
I don't fancy Martinez, I've got used to having a good defence.
I only go for the beer.

letmereadposts

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #664 on: May 01, 2012, 10:44:30 PM »

It could work in our favour the way Roy inherited an attacking minded team. He shored up our defence and we killed off a lot of teams in good fashion at the back end of last season.

Obviously this is of little point from a long-term perspective, managers eventually make their own mark on a team.

I just feel their is more to come from the guy and our club would suit him well.

Martinez is my man.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #665 on: May 01, 2012, 10:54:11 PM »

Lately Foster has been most of our defence  ;)

LegendOfAstle

« Reply #666 on: May 01, 2012, 10:57:13 PM »
Lately Foster has been most of our defence  ;)

yes your right, i nearly have a heart attack every time Olsson gets near the ball.

wappingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #667 on: May 02, 2012, 12:03:16 AM »
i havnt read the whole thread so sorry if discussed already...why is Mcinnes not on voting list?

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #668 on: May 02, 2012, 12:13:30 AM »
I see Curbishley is around evens with most of the bookies tonight, with Hughton second favourite at around 7/1.

That rather suggests that Curbishley is well advanced and that JP and DA have been well prepared for this.  Evens is incredibly short odds - it would be most unlike the bookies to get it wrong to that extent.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #669 on: May 02, 2012, 06:34:12 AM »
I'd be surprised if Curbishley comes here, more likely to end up at veela I would have thought.
Its a difficult one to predict because the guy that comes in is walking into something unique really.
Managers only usually change hands at clubs after a bad set of results or to dig a team out of the mire, but the next manager is walking into a mid table team looking on the up, I think yet again we have to trust DA and JP on this one, it might be a household name that we get or it might be a rabbit out of the hat job.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #670 on: May 02, 2012, 07:07:35 AM »
Sounds like a wrestlers speech that does!

Can you smell what Sealandair is cooking!
He's the Ultimate Keyboard Warrior. He even has the ridiculous tangents of the ultimate warrior. probably does them while staring at a wall too  :D

Semaj Riatsila

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #671 on: May 02, 2012, 07:12:39 AM »
Baggies4eva if your such an expert on the Albion you would know why 'sealandair' is relevant to the club.

I am not a wind up merchant, i deal only in Facts ,.

WHO told you this board Roy would be our manager a week before his appointment ?

WHO told you this board he would be gone before the end of this season to take the England job ?

WHO told this board RDM was for the high jump on the saturday night before he got the bullet?

WHO told you all Shane Long was signing ?

Sealandair Thats who.

You lot keephanging on to 'lepko's' every word.. he would saw his right arm off to have my inside knowledge/access to the club.

that is all

If he is so in the know can he let me know for sure whom the next manager will be as I want to put a monkey down whilst the odds are good :)

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #672 on: May 02, 2012, 10:25:57 AM »
Just a thought on Curbishley and it could be adding 2 and 2 and getting 5 and it may of been mentioned elsewhere.

JP and Ashworth appear to have a shortlists they work off so we are prepared for when managers, coaches, players, tealadies, etc leave. Didnt Capello leave England just before or around the same time as Mad Mick at the Dingles?

I would imagine at the time Capello left that Albion would of had some incline that Royston would be going to England or a very strong candidate, i wonder if any contact was put to Curbishley around then about sounding him out about the Albion job.

The reason i say that is Curbishley was by all accounts offered the Wolves job 3 times and turned it down, thats a lot of times to be offered one job and keep rejecting and although some may hate to admit it the Wolves is an attractive job, they still at that stage had a decent chance of staying up, they have the ground, fanbase, etc so its not like turning down Stourbridge Town.

I just wondered if he turned down the Dingles knowing full well that the Albion job was coming up in the summer? I have no ITK information but just wondered as he does seem to be high up the next manager on a lot of bookies list.

Then again JP and Ashworth probably have Guardiola at the Moat House for a Cuppa as we speak!

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #673 on: May 02, 2012, 10:32:33 AM »
Just a thought on Curbishley and it could be adding 2 and 2 and getting 5 and it may of been mentioned elsewhere.

JP and Ashworth appear to have a shortlists they work off so we are prepared for when managers, coaches, players, tealadies, etc leave. Didnt Capello leave England just before or around the same time as Mad Mick at the Dingles?

I would imagine at the time Capello left that Albion would of had some incline that Royston would be going to England or a very strong candidate, i wonder if any contact was put to Curbishley around then about sounding him out about the Albion job.

The reason i say that is Curbishley was by all accounts offered the Wolves job 3 times and turned it down, thats a lot of times to be offered one job and keep rejecting and although some may hate to admit it the Wolves is an attractive job, they still at that stage had a decent chance of staying up, they have the ground, fanbase, etc so its not like turning down Stourbridge Town.

I just wondered if he turned down the Dingles knowing full well that the Albion job was coming up in the summer? I have no ITK information but just wondered as he does seem to be high up the next manager on a lot of bookies list.

Then again JP and Ashworth probably have Guardiola at the Moat House for a Cuppa as we speak!
More than likely they have him in The Vine for a Tikka and a Naan  :D
He's a lad from the Wrenna

Ogwani

« Reply #674 on: May 02, 2012, 10:33:44 AM »
McLaren is interesting. Clearly a good coach but was wrong for the England job. Forest ? Seems financial promises were broken.  Villa decided against him after fan backlash but he would have done a far better job than McLeish.

A far better option than Curbishley who has been out of management too long.

I would not want McClaren purely because with Nottingham Forest's squad they should no way of been near the relegation zone. He did something seriously wrong there.

Isn't Appleton one of the front-runners (:'()?  Where is he on the poll? Seen as this is a "who will be" rather than "who do you want" I voted Hughton and Curbishley, I think they are the two most likely. I would not mind a few of the managers on the list, like Martinez, but think they would not come, realistically.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 10:35:44 AM by Pistol Pete »