Poll

Who will be the next West Brom manager? *FINAL VOTE*

Ralf Rangnick
Chris Hughton
Andre Villas-Boas
Ray Wilkins
Michael Appleton

Author Topic: Next Manager  (Read 1270461 times)

Rich99

Re: Next Manager
« Reply #550 on: May 01, 2012, 01:15:58 PM »
After Roy's success I get the felling the club may well go for a more of an experienced steady hand rather than one in the RDM or Mowbray type mould.  I get the feeling it might be Curbishley.

Nocky

• WBA Coach

« Reply #551 on: May 01, 2012, 01:16:44 PM »
Martinez or Hughton, or a similar young hungry manager for me. Martinez has done a wonder job at Wigan but not sure how much of a step up it would be for him to join us, then again, he has nothing to gain staying on as Wigan manager, if he can improve us considerably he will be ready for a top top job.

How exactly has Martinez done a 'wonder' job at Wigan? Since taking over they have finished 16th, 16th and are currently 16th this season. They finished 5 points behind us last season and they are 9 points behind us this season with what I would imagine is a comparable transfer and wage budget.

They survived by the skin of the teeth last season and have hit a good run at the right time this season, before which they looked odds on to go down. They have only won 4 games at home all season and until their drubbing of Newcastle they had the lowest home goals tally in all of the 4 divisions. Martinez has just about achieved what is expected of him at Wigan, nothing more, nothing less.
"Champions aren't made in the gym. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision."

Muhammad Ali

baggie_liam

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #552 on: May 01, 2012, 01:17:37 PM »
i voted for Martinez, think he fits the Head Coah role perfectly. But i can see it being Chris Hughton if Blues dont come back up, he's only on a rolling contract, they have debts still, surely would prefer to be in the PL managing again.
Nobody else realistic excites me.  i think we should forget even talking about names like Benitez and AVB.. never in a million years would they come to us. (although can all but dream)

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #553 on: May 01, 2012, 01:18:28 PM »
Chris HAoughton has been asked about the Albion position on Sky just but was obviously and understandably very evasive.

Does anyone know if he actually got an interview with the Albion before we got Roy in ?
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #554 on: May 01, 2012, 01:21:29 PM »
I am just saying these are the kind of people we should be going for and more likely than most of the names said.

Another possibility - Billy Davies? Did cracking job at forest and is out of work? Thoughts?

Okay for someone who is not on the wind up you are certainly mentioning managers Warnock & Davies in particular that would get a negative response from most Baggies fans even if they were gods of coaching and they are not.

I think you might find yourself in a very small minority in welcoming either Davies or Warnock to the Hawthorns you are of course entitled to your opinion but do not be surprised if you get slated on here.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #555 on: May 01, 2012, 01:22:17 PM »
Chris HAoughton has been asked about the Albion position on Sky just but was obviously and understandably very evasive.

Does anyone know if he actually got an interview with the Albion before we got Roy in ?

He certainly said he did. He also didn't hold any grudges about not getting it and he was treated very well during the process.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #556 on: May 01, 2012, 01:23:19 PM »
After Roy's success I get the felling the club may well go for a more of an experienced steady hand rather than one in the RDM or Mowbray type mould.  I get the feeling it might be Curbishley.

I totally agree. The other types haven't really worked for us. We need someone with experience and a decent reputation who can attract a better calibre of player too. I wouldn't be disappointed if Curbishley was appointed. There are no real stand out candidates for me though.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Nocky

• WBA Coach

« Reply #557 on: May 01, 2012, 01:23:40 PM »
I see some of those who have been critical of Hodgson's football stating that they are in favour of Hughton being appointed.

I like Hughton and would be happy with his appointment but there have been complaints about his style of football from both Newcastle and Birmingham fans. He's certainly not a long ball merchant but he by no means gets his teams playing free flowing football. From what I have seen and heard of him he is very much a 442 man with an emphasis on organisation.
"Champions aren't made in the gym. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision."

Muhammad Ali

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #558 on: May 01, 2012, 01:25:53 PM »

Crucially, he is no stranger to Albion's board.
Hughton, who is on a one-year rolling contract, was close to getting the job  before Roy Hodgson arrived in February 2011, particularly impressing chairman  Jeremy Peace during the interviewing process
This bit was pulled from this article http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/west-bromwich-albion-fc-news/2012/05/01/west-brom-roy-hodgson-to-be-appointed-england-boss-today-chris-hughton-early-favourite-to-replace-him-97319-30874482/

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #559 on: May 01, 2012, 01:26:03 PM »
I see some of those who have been critical of Hodgson's football stating that they are in favour of Hughton being appointed.

I like Hughton and would be happy with his appointment but there have been complaints about his style of football from both Newcastle and Birmingham fans. He's certainly not a long ball merchant but he by no means gets his teams playing free flowing football. From what I have seen and heard of him he is very much a 442 man with an emphasis on organisation.

A seamless transition then.  ;D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #560 on: May 01, 2012, 01:26:13 PM »
Curbs odds have been slashed on skybet - I hope it's not him.

You are seriously depressing me now
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #561 on: May 01, 2012, 01:27:27 PM »
Does anyone think it will benefit us having Hodgson, a significant name in football, leaving on good terms and speaking highly about us?.Surely that will make us a more attractive proposition for potential managers if Roy highly recommends us.  Not many managers leave on good terms.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #562 on: May 01, 2012, 01:27:34 PM »
Certainly was interviewed at the time and it was between him and Hodgson. There was some doubt as to whether or not Roy would accept the post and Hughton would have almost certainly been appointed had he not.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #563 on: May 01, 2012, 01:35:55 PM »
On the subject of Laudrup being beyond our reach he has managed Getafe in Spain who are La Liga's Wigan and Mallorca who are a mid-table team albeit one that seems to be locked into a perpetual state of financial crisis. That is not Barcalona or Real Madrid so not out of our reach. Not sure of the wisdom of importing a coach with no experince of English football but not out of our reach

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #564 on: May 01, 2012, 01:44:56 PM »
Does anyone think it will benefit us having Hodgson, a significant name in football, leaving on good terms and speaking highly about us?.Surely that will make us a more attractive proposition for potential managers if Roy highly recommends us.  Not many managers leave on good terms.

I agree it would make a very good impression, also the fact that our other previous manager is now a Champions league finalist. We could become viewed as a club who is set up that could help managers get to the very top of European football.

Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Savvas78

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #565 on: May 01, 2012, 01:45:24 PM »
On the subject of Laudrup being beyond our reach he has managed Getafe in Spain who are La Liga's Wigan and Mallorca who are a mid-table team albeit one that seems to be locked into a perpetual state of financial crisis. That is not Barcalona or Real Madrid so not out of our reach. Not sure of the wisdom of importing a coach with no experince of English football but not out of our reach

Thanks for the background info mate. I don't really know anything about Michael Laudrup's managerial credentials, but what I do know is that he was a world class player back in the day.... Or was that Brian??!!  ???
We've gone on holiday by mistake!

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #566 on: May 01, 2012, 01:56:15 PM »
Regarding Laudrup.

Yes. Completely unrealistic. Hes a top European coach and Im sad to say out of our league.

The Papers and radio saying its likely to be Hughton. If that is true then i wont be going to many games next season. Nice guy, great coach and a very good number 2 but not prem standard by any means. We need a strong manager, whos been there and done it. I would be inclined to go for someone like Neil warnock or Gordon strachan, or a couple of names people havnt mentioned yet - Kevin keegan, glen hoddle?

Still, My first choice would be jewell at the moment.

Dingle all day long.

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #567 on: May 01, 2012, 01:58:52 PM »
Laudrup is hardly a top european coach. Player yes but not coach. He did well at Getafe and Mallorca. Similar sized clubs to us.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #568 on: May 01, 2012, 02:06:12 PM »
You are seriously depressing me now

How is a proven track record of premier league success something to be depressed about? I can't understand the mentality of Albion fans dismissing the likes of Curbishley who's record is absolutely superb in modern day Premier League football over a decade plus.

j2k2006

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #569 on: May 01, 2012, 02:09:24 PM »
i just hope the mr peace sees that we have gone forward under hodgson and this is actually a really important decision ie could make our club or potentially take us 2 steps backwards.  If i was mr peace i would realise this hence why i mentioned AVB i just think that mr peace needs to look at his past appointments cheap options that just couldnt take us to the next level SIR Roy took us to that next level and this is what we need someone to carry on his good work and keep taking us forward.  This will not happen with a cheap option and so he needs to invest in a decent manager
A girl cant get pregnant if shes on top
Think about it

Its Gravity

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #570 on: May 01, 2012, 02:11:37 PM »
I'd be happy with curbs
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #571 on: May 01, 2012, 02:16:27 PM »
i just hope the mr peace sees that we have gone forward under hodgson and this is actually a really important decision ie could make our club or potentially take us 2 steps backwards.  If i was mr peace i would realise this hence why i mentioned AVB i just think that mr peace needs to look at his past appointments cheap options that just couldnt take us to the next level SIR Roy took us to that next level and this is what we need someone to carry on his good work and keep taking us forward.  This will not happen with a cheap option and so he needs to invest in a decent manager

You are right mate, we do need to invest well in a manager but AVB? He has already failed in the Prem with one of the best football teams in the world a job even a tactically naive ex-manager of ours is making look easy. While you are right in the sentiment of not penny pinching and bringing in the right man for the job, that man needs to have a good track record (same as Roy had) at keeping teams in the premier league. AVB hasn't proved anything in english football apart from the fact that he failed miserably to capture the respect of the Chelsea dressing room.

I haven't been a massive fan of the way Hodgson has managed many times this year, it took him over half a season to realise that we are better as a 451(433) than a 442, but at the end of the day, our league position is better than I imagined so who am I to question a man of such experience who has consistently produced results? We need someone to bring in stability and a calm head, not a new face trying to make a name. Experience is the key for us at this stage of our evolution into a Premier League regular.

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #572 on: May 01, 2012, 02:19:04 PM »
How is a proven track record of premier league success something to be depressed about? I can't understand the mentality of Albion fans dismissing the likes of Curbishley who's record is absolutely superb in modern day Premier League football over a decade plus.

Curbishley clearly has a massive ego problem. He refuses to even look at a Championship job when people approach him and if he really had love for the game he would have sought out a job a lot sooner than the three years out of works suggests.

He also wanted full control of transfers at West Ham and obviously had this power at Charlton, therefore how does he match the criteria of a head coach?

Again, no thanks. Hughton or Martinez for me.

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #573 on: May 01, 2012, 02:20:45 PM »
You are right mate, we do need to invest well in a manager but AVB? He has already failed in the Prem with one of the best football teams in the world a job even a tactically naive ex-manager of ours is making look easy. While you are right in the sentiment of not penny pinching and bringing in the right man for the job, that man needs to have a good track record (same as Roy had) at keeping teams in the premier league. AVB hasn't proved anything in english football apart from the fact that he failed miserably to capture the respect of the Chelsea dressing room.

I haven't been a massive fan of the way Hodgson has managed many times this year, it took him over half a season to realise that we are better as a 451(433) than a 442, but at the end of the day, our league position is better than I imagined so who am I to question a man of such experience who has consistently produced results? We need someone to bring in stability and a calm head, not a new face trying to make a name. Experience is the key for us at this stage of our evolution into a Premier League regular.

Roy failed at Liverpool didn't he?

I think he AVB is way out of our league but he did not got the respect he should of had from the Chelsea players - sound familiar?

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #574 on: May 01, 2012, 02:21:13 PM »
Hughton / Martinez for me.