Author Topic: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD  (Read 1325366 times)

Atomic

• WBA Coach

Re: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD
« Reply #4375 on: April 03, 2020, 06:21:16 PM »
Joe Masi Twitter Account

The EFL has now followed the Premier League and postponed football indefinitely until it is safe to play again

Well we all knew that football wouldn't resume until safe to do so. Talk about stating the obvious.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4376 on: May 08, 2020, 10:34:00 AM »
If the Athletic have got it right and leagues 1 and 2 are going to be decided on “weighed points per game” (takes in to account home and away games played), then next season the Championship will see the return of Coventry (first time since 2012) and the return of Oxford Utd (first time since 2001). Rotherham will be the other promoted side.
Boing Boing

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4377 on: May 27, 2020, 03:06:02 PM »
According to Sport Bild; Dortmund have apparently agreed a contract with Jude Bellingham. Meaning that Birmingham will get nothing for the jewel of their academy.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4378 on: May 27, 2020, 03:22:59 PM »
According to Sport Bild; Dortmund have apparently agreed a contract with Jude Bellingham. Meaning that Birmingham will get nothing for the jewel of their academy.

That's a real kick in the teeth for the Blues. THought the kid was a Blues fan?

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4379 on: May 27, 2020, 04:24:24 PM »
I never believed the figures of £30-50m being reported as being his value according to bids from Man utd, but this bad for them.

Expect him to turn up at the vile in a few months time.

But, don't they get the same derisory £275k compensation Barcelona didn't cough up for that vile so and so?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 10:00:32 AM by MarkW »

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4380 on: May 28, 2020, 08:02:55 AM »
By the way,have we been paid yet from the last kid we sold?

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4381 on: May 28, 2020, 10:49:53 AM »
By the way,have we been paid yet from the last kid we sold?

No and we have asked fifa to intervene.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #4382 on: May 28, 2020, 12:30:05 PM »
That's a real kick in the teeth for the Blues. THought the kid was a Blues fan?
Probably the higher chance and maybe assurances of playing football from the start compared to the likes of Man U will have swayed it. Not totally sure how these deals work but hopefully Blues have a decent percentage of any sell-on clause.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4383 on: May 28, 2020, 12:53:20 PM »
No and we have asked fifa to intervene.
Yep. Although we probably are far back in the long queue looking for justified payments from FC Barcelona.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4384 on: May 28, 2020, 12:57:19 PM »
Yep. Although we probably are far back in the long queue looking for justified payments from FC Barcelona.
my understanding is as long as he hasn’t got a professional contract with Birmingham, they are not entitled to anything bar the basic pay for academy players. He birthday is in June, Dortmund either need to ensure he doesn’t sign with Brum after that or he’s signed to them beforehand.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4385 on: May 28, 2020, 01:36:09 PM »
If it was a pure football decision he would stay at Birmingham. He will play 40 games next season at a level that will allow him to thrive and still have his home comforts and support network. It is easy to forget he is still just a kid. It also allows the world to recover from this bizarre situation to some extent too.

So the only questions as always are financial and I think I think a big contract is a sensible gamble for blues too. It wasnt for us with Barry, but Bellingham is streets ahead of where Barry was so the risk is more calculated.

Blues could fairly securely offer him £20k per week on a 5 year deal with a £30m buyout and 25% of the transfer fee and i think that is a win for both parties.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #4386 on: May 29, 2020, 01:58:23 PM »
EFL clubs are set to meet on June 8th.This is to sort out how each division is set to end their season.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4387 on: June 01, 2020, 10:31:28 AM »
Return to football provisionally agreed for June 20th, subject to all clubs agreeing
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #4388 on: June 04, 2020, 08:40:21 AM »
Charlton have announced that two players - including their best striker Lyle Taylor - are refusing to play as they are out of contract at the end of the month and do not wish to jeopardise a future move.

Quite a scummy move from the players in question. I understand they need to take a stock of their future but im sure they will have been more than happy to take the monies on offer by Charlton each week. Nor, would footballers who approach the end of their contract, refuse to play as we approach season end, prior to the Corona interval.

If players across the football league took that stance there would never be any football matches.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #4389 on: June 04, 2020, 09:22:50 AM »
Charlton have announced that two players - including their best striker Lyle Taylor - are refusing to play as they are out of contract at the end of the month and do not wish to jeopardise a future move.

Quite a scummy move from the players in question. I understand they need to take a stock of their future but im sure they will have been more than happy to take the monies on offer by Charlton each week. Nor, would footballers who approach the end of their contract, refuse to play as we approach season end, prior to the Corona interval.

If players across the football league took that stance there would never be any football matches.
I assume this is down to the likely very short break between this season finishing and next season starting i.e no time to recover from injuries so any moves could be jeapordised - and of course players are reckoned to be at more risk of injury due to the corona lay-off and pretty intense schedule of games when they return. Taylor is 30 now and this is a key and maybe last chance to up his earnings significantly. I'm not trying to defend him here, just thinking out loud about the reasons.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4390 on: June 04, 2020, 11:07:33 AM »

While I agree with much of the sentiment of your post I can also see Taylor's point of view. He already missed a chunk of the season with a knee injury, he's thirty and has spent his career as a journey man. Things have come to him late, he has a decent offer elsewhere and he wants to protect his knee. While I don't agree with him 100% I can certainly see where he's coming from. However, if I were in his shoes and I wanted out under these circumstances, I would ask Charlton to cancel my contract so they didn't have to pay me whilst I sat things out as the club fought on without me.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4391 on: June 05, 2020, 05:04:03 PM »
See we're playing that lot from Witton in a friendly tomorrow
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4392 on: June 08, 2020, 06:36:49 PM »
Pep Clotet has announced he is leaving blose at the end of the season so hopefully their players will be on the beach when they play and hogan will be back to his vile form.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4393 on: June 09, 2020, 11:36:46 AM »
The soap opera that is Charlton Athletic seems to be taking yet another twist.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52976779

To recap Charlton were owned by Roland Duchatelet who was uniformly reviled by Charlton fans. His "ownership" of the club came to an end when East Street Investments bought him out in January this year. This was headed by former football agent Matt Southall but funded by Syrian Businessman Tahnoon Nimer who is based in the Gulf.

The takeover was troubled from the outset and there were question marks over long term funding. However the whole thing started to fall to pieces in March when there was a major falling out between Southall and Nimer. This has prompted the club to be put back up for sale.

It has attracted interest from the usual line up of oddballs with mysterious links to money from far flung places. But it would now would appear to have been landed by a consortium headed a Manchester businessman Paul Elliot.

Reading up on this today it transpires Roland Duchatelet still owns the Valley and the club's training ground and values them at £50m. This does bring into question what the hell is anybody actually buying? The 2 major fixed assets are not owned by the football club.

Charlton are a great football institution based in one of the least fashionable area's of the capital they have a very proud tradition and have done sterling work in their communities and have a always produced good young players. it is cliched to say their fans deserve better but they probably do but they are almost certainly won't get better.

We have to reform the game top to bottom this is crazy and can't be allowed to continue. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 11:47:33 AM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4394 on: June 09, 2020, 01:09:58 PM »
Joseph Masi Twitter Account

"EFL clubs have voted to adopt the league's framework for deciding final placings if the season is curtailed. Tables decided on unweighted points-per-game, promotion/relegation maintained and four-team play-offs. Leagues One and Two will now vote on curtailment."
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4395 on: June 09, 2020, 01:51:54 PM »

"EFL clubs have voted to adopt the league's framework for deciding final placings if the season is curtailed. Tables decided on unweighted points-per-game, promotion/relegation maintained and four-team play-offs. Leagues One and Two will now vote on curtailment."

If there was a little bit more peril to the leagues chance of completion, this would have added an interesting dynamic.

As it happens i'm fairly confident they will complete the season now but if it looked less likely, each individual game would have potentially had a lot more importance with keeping your head above water at any given point having a big effect on an outcome.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4396 on: June 09, 2020, 02:03:20 PM »

You just know if we drop to third the season will be stopped again.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4397 on: June 09, 2020, 03:15:38 PM »
If we dropped to third, would we deserve to go up?   We would possibly be slaughtered in the Premiership if we did.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4398 on: June 09, 2020, 04:26:56 PM »
108 games in 33 days is going to be amazing though!

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4399 on: June 09, 2020, 10:08:18 PM »
John Percy Twitter Account

Stoke confirm that manager Michael O'Neill has tested positive for coronavirus. Details were very scarce earlier today, but it is O'Neill and not a player. Friendly against #mufc today was called off shortly before kick-off after Monday's test results were released

Let’s hope he makes a full and speedy recovery
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.