Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5134763 times)

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2015, 10:47:21 AM »
I saw the Birmingham Mail site saying that Samaras, Davidson and Blanco are all deemed surplus to requirements. That'd be disappointing if Blanco went.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2015, 10:51:54 AM »
Welcome Mr Pulis you will get my support as did Mr Irvine.

Now Albion fans lets all stick together and show Mr Pulis what a great club he as come too.

IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2015, 10:53:18 AM »
Whilst i am pleased that a fiery personality is in charge, it does seem to have been met badly on other football forums, suggesting he isn't a good fit with a no nonsense chairmen at the helm, that palace fitted him perfectly because he could work with players like Puncheon and Bolasie to taylor to his needs. I guess time will tell, no surprise stokies are bringing up the old 'rather be relegated than have pulis' line we used to dish it when we played against them. However, one thing rings true is that he nearly always knew how to beat us, so will know how to make us a well drilled team. Something akin to Roy and i'll be happy, as we were pretty unpredictable but played very well away, hopefully we can translate that to home performances ala Fortress Hawthorns.

silver surfer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2015, 10:54:12 AM »
Sensing this is a good appointment.
And fair play to JP for making the necessary compromises.

brettsf

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2015, 10:54:28 AM »
Delighted with the appointment. Let's see some of our 'superstars' start earning their money now! One thing's for certain, he won't stand any messing.
I remember two other gaffers who demanded nothing less than 100%, i.e. Jimmy Hagan and Gary Megson. They both saw us through some exciting times. Go on Tony....take us there again!

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2015, 10:57:20 AM »
I hope he proves me wrong and doesn't bring Stokes style of play with him. It is possible to play attractive football and win. Swansea and Southampton have proved that and look at how much West Ham have improved this season after getting the ball on the deck. I have no doubt he'll keep us up now which is the critical thing.

Welcome to The Hawthorns Tony. Hopefully you can win over the minority fans like me and make me eat humble pie.

weareblueweare white

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2015, 10:57:41 AM »
It's about time we took someone on who's stood up to the board and said I want final say on transfers. You can't blame Pulis for asking for this as its his job on the line if signings don't work out.
I think we can expect an injection of pace into the squad and a much more direct style of play with us getting the ball forward quickly and a defence that's capable of not leaking goals easily.
I also expect that The Hawthornes will be turned back into a place that the opposition will not look forwards to visiting bringing back the atmosphere we know

chonobaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2015, 10:58:38 AM »
This is great news. Hopefully he can sort us out. First time in a long time I've been excited about a new manager.
Im the cat that walks by himself....and all places are alike to me

Brummie Road

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2015, 11:02:53 AM »
A very warm welcome to Tony Pulis.

This really is excellent news to start the New Year and following the recent events and decision by the club earlier in the week, I genuinely feel Pulis ticks all the boxes in terms of character and leadership qualities in our attempts to move away from the foot of the table.

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2015, 11:13:34 AM »
I can't thank JP enough for this signing and haven't been this excited for a long time.
As for Crouch definately speculation but we are desperate for a striker so would fit the bill loads of experience.

Welcome Tony, pull this club together and wait and see the hawthorns rocking, its the best.
In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2015, 11:17:05 AM »
Very shrewd timing of the appointment.  Leave the coaches as fall guys for the game that we are unlikely to win (one win in ten at West Ham and in Champions League form) and introduce him at Gateshead followed by Hull at home. (Hopefully) Immediate turn around under the new manager. ;-)
Welcome to the Hawthorns. Hopefully it will be a long and successful appointment.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2015, 11:22:54 AM »
Good appointment and timing-a day after compensation is no longer necessary to Palace (it's enough to make you wonder whether JP was waiting on him for a while now?). Finally a bit of leadership as shown by his opening statement "unity"!

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2015, 11:23:39 AM »
What a contrast in reaction to the Irvine appointment. Pulis has the fans on side from the word go. That counts for a lot.
"It is the tradition of the club and the fans in which we trust"

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2015, 11:23:54 AM »
A good appointment and an experienced coach. Hopefully the comfort zone players are looking over their shoulders right now. Good luck Tony!

Dale

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2015, 11:27:44 AM »
Absolutely delighted with this appointment. I don't care how we play as long as we win football matches!

Don't get me wrong it's nice to see entertaining football and winning, but for me I don't pay to be entertained I pay to watch my team win!

Really looking forward to the Pulis era. Bring it on!

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2015, 11:33:18 AM »
Fantastic news. Welcome to The Hawthorns, Tony.

A great message to everyone at the club. And a two and half year contract too, we need some stability.

Come on lads!

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2015, 11:37:23 AM »
Love it, couldn't have asked for a better person in charge.

Welcome Tony!

baggy74

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2015, 11:41:01 AM »
I hope he proves me wrong and doesn't bring Stokes style of play with him. It is possible to play attractive football and win. Swansea and Southampton have proved that and look at how much West Ham have improved this season after getting the ball on the deck. I have no doubt he'll keep us up now which is the critical thing.

Welcome to The Hawthorns Tony. Hopefully you can win over the minority fans like me and make me eat humble pie.

Biggest myth in football every time I've seen them this year they have resembled old style Stoke , but hammers fans aren't complaining because they are winning.

Here's hoping we get pulis palace style with width and pace ! Over hoof ball , if so it could be very exciting either way it's a change that was needed
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 12:23:29 PM by Quakes Fan »

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2015, 11:47:17 AM »
I am very happy with this appointment best appointment since we got Hodgson in. Does anyone else find  it strange that he is our manager now I never ever thought in a million years Tony Pulis would ever be a West Brom manager. Welcome TP.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

lonions

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2015, 11:47:33 AM »
would of thought Samaras would of fitting into Tonys style of play!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2015, 12:04:08 PM »
For me it works in the here and now long-term not so sure. Those of you who were berating Irvine Clarke and even Hodgson about style play had better get ready for more of the same it ain't going to be pretty but it might be effective.

Extended thoughts

http://lookbackinmildbewilderment.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/who-you-going-to-call.html
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2015, 12:05:32 PM »
Best possible bloke for our current situation both on and off the pitch , much like Megson was years ago .
I used to watch Stoke fight for every single point and be a tad envious and Palace were superb to watch too in the short time he was there. After 18 months of slumber and a losing mental attitude I actually feel a small buzz about the Albion again. Best of luck Tony.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2015, 12:07:12 PM »
Great appointment, really think he'll get the best out of ideye like he did with chamakh. Imagine varela and sess will be his wingers until we get someone else in. Berahino won't be able to mess about like he did under irvine. Really excited, hopefully get around 15th this year and then really push on next year.

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2015, 12:09:57 PM »
Where's Gerry mullet?  :'(
Allllllll aboard

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2015, 12:18:21 PM »
The thread says 'Manager' have we done away with the Head Coach title then?