West Bromwich Albion FC Forums > West Bromwich Albion FC

System / Tactics / Personnel

(1/435) > >>

beechyboy90:
For me the current tactics personnel and system
Isn't working the defence aren't protected and the midfield is totally overrun and we carry the front 3 in games.

For the majority of the games we have been overrun and outplayed regardless of the results. So for a while that result hasn't been coming for me.

For me We have 2 choices of system we could switch to that would still keep our attacking impetus and also make us abit more solid and might give us chance to control the game;

Johnstone
Dawson Bartley Hegazi Gibbs
    Field Barry Livermore
    Phillips Gayle Barnes

Bench: myhill tosin brunt Morrison Burke sako Rodriguez

Or:

Johnstone
Dawson Bartley Hegazi Gibbs
           Barry Livermore
       Phillips Barnes brunt
             Gayle/Rodriguez

Bench: myhill tosin Townsend Morrison (or hoolahan) field sako Rodriquez (or Gayle depending which starts)

Thoughts?

tuamigos:
One good think about those formations is that it keeps Mears and HRK away from the 18

Atomic:
I'm glad you started this topic beechyboy as I was going to do the same.

The three at the back isn't working for us that's clear to most people except Moore and Jones. It doesn't suit the players we have. Nor does 4-4-2. There is an option for retaining three at the back but it means we need a five in midfield. Harvey Barnes cannot play in that system he would either have to play as one of a pair up front or in the 3 man midfield. If he does that he becomes like any other midfielder and wastes energy playing to deep. He will be less effective in the final third. We need a formation that suits the players we have, that gives us more solidity, particularly throughout the spine of the team and that retains our threat going forward. Step forward the system we went to in the end yesterday : 4-3-3.

Johnstone
                                                    Myhill

(Dawson make do for now)       Hegazi                 Bartley                      Gibbs
Mears                                     Dawson                Adarabioyo                Townsend

Livermore               Morrison                    Field
                       Harper                    Hoolahan                  Barry

Phillips                                Rodriguez                              Barnes
         Burke                                  Gayle                                    Sako

Now the above is a for example. I know there are some players left out and and I don't mean that 1-11 to be taken too literally but it highlights a more more solid system. No square pegs in round holes, no more getting over-run in midfield and Barnes / Phillips left to play where they can do damage, no wating energy tracking back. Eden Hazard doesn't track back all the time nor do Salah or Mane (examples). It's a bit of a myth that you need flair players to do defensive duties. Yes they have to do a job but not to the detriment of wasting their energy. NO team in the Championship is going to push full backs on with Barnes / Phillips playing high up the pitch.

In midfield let Sam Field bomb up and down. He did that a few times last night and he's the only one we have that can do that. In the end it resulted in him almost scoring with a curler. Livermore will hustle and bustle, and the likes of Barry, Morrison, Hoolahan can all play with the ball, all of them have the ability to dictate the game.

At the back there is less space between the defenders, naturally, proper cover in front of them and all can concentrate on defending.

It doesn't mean we can't play football, we can but in this league you have to scrap as well. In this system we can do that, the spine is more solid and the team better balanced overall.

Also we don't have to keep tinkering with systems every time someone goes off and we have adequate cover all over with the exception of right back but we all know that we'll have to muddle through till January.

A couple of seasons ago Chelsea looked poor until they found the right system for them and went 3-5-2. It made them a completely different team. That could be the same for us, it could be the making of us. It suits the players we have and I'm sure we'd be a much better team adapting to 4-3-3.

wobbs68:
Great thread.  We have the personnel, just not the correct tactics.  We have been carrying our attacking players which has caused us problems at the back.  You simply cant be flamboyant without the ball!

For me Mears, Bartley and Tosin are no better if not worse than our home grown players so shouldn't be ever starting.  We need to stop conceding goals, add pace to the team and play in a system that the players are comfortable in.  It is clear that some of our players are unhappy on the pitch because of out tactics.

Barnes is a fantastic player but we are only utilizing him for about a third of the match.  He may not like it but we need him more involved more often.  An attacking player is going to have to be sacrificed in my opinion to make us stronger and at the moment I think that has to be JayRod, but what a striker to bring on if needs be.  Kanu shouldn't be on the bench.  He inst good enough to change games.

My formation would be either be 4 -5 -1 or 4 -4-1-1.  Based on the players that we have I'd go for:

Johnstone

Field Dawson  Hegazi  Gibbs

Philips  Livermore Morrison Barry Barnes

Gayle

Yes, Field at right back!  Pace, strength, agility, technical ability, physic and better than what weve got.  I'd also consider Barry as a centre half on the left in a 4 man defence which would allow Dawson to go right back.  Captain - Livermore or Morrison

baggies_24:
For me I would play 4-2-3-1
                Johnson
Dawson   Tosin   Hegazi    Gibbs

Livermore  Field/Barry

Phillips      Barnes.     Sako/ Hoolahan

Gayle/Jrod

There’s balance in that team we don’t negate going forward but look a lot stronger at the back and in midfield, it also gets rid of players who aren’t performing and don’t deserve to be in the team.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version