Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2534423 times)

johhnybaggies 4life

• Junior Baggie

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #925 on: October 11, 2014, 04:10:06 PM »
Look at it this way, saw we get £25mill, who would we buy with it?
Stick Together Through Thick And Thin

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #926 on: October 11, 2014, 05:11:26 PM »
Calum Chambers moved to Arsenal for 16m based on 20 games. Strikers always cost a lot more than defenders and Berahino's one of the best young striker in the country. Even Zaha cost 16m and he was far from the best player in the championship that season and was always extremely patchy in form. Maybe not 25m, but if he can hit 15 goals this season it'll certainly be around there. Consider people like Troy Deeney had bids of 12m in the summer. Not too mention Shane Long, whom Berahino has already almost matched his best goalscoring season in this league.

Besides which, it'll be his all round game that'll be impressing as much as his goalscoring at the moment. His touch is excellent, he's developed into a really good player with his back to goal and keeps the ball well, and crucially for a striker his off the ball movement is superb.

Absolutely...for a striker movement will determine for me how good you can be, add that with some pace and good finishing ability and it makes for an exciting future of watching this lad.

I really believe he could go to the very top
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #927 on: October 11, 2014, 05:52:49 PM »
Calm down, calm down, the kid has had a good start to the season, BUT £25m !!!!
What price would Raheem Sterling generate then?

I seriously think some people are losing perspective here.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #928 on: October 11, 2014, 06:26:51 PM »
Calm down, calm down, the kid has had a good start to the season, BUT £25m !!!!
What price would Raheem Sterling generate then?

I seriously think some people are losing perspective here.
£48 Million.... apparently.

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #929 on: October 11, 2014, 07:32:45 PM »
£25m easily. Its not what he is worth, its what these big clubs would be stupid enough to pay. JP will take them to the cleaners.

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #930 on: October 11, 2014, 08:35:02 PM »
  • West Bromwich Albion are preparing a new contract for striking sensation Saido Berahino as the England Under 21 international continues on his hot goal-scoring streak.
  • That comes just ten months after they first tied the youngster down with a £20,000 a week, three-and-a-half year contract.
  • If Albion ever sell Berahino - as the leading scoring Englishman in the country it would probably take an offer double that to even bring them to the table.
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/west-bromwich-albion-baggies-prepare-7920943

johhnybaggies 4life

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #931 on: October 12, 2014, 11:25:02 AM »
If we sold him I'd like to see demba ba
Stick Together Through Thick And Thin

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #932 on: October 12, 2014, 11:36:43 AM »
If we sold him I would not like to see us replace him with a 30 year old that would do us no good a a club

I have no problem with Demba Ba but not as a replacement for Berahino.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #933 on: October 12, 2014, 12:54:17 PM »
Hearing a 4+1 year deal is on the cards, also worth 40k plus. Likely to sign within next couple of weeks.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #934 on: October 12, 2014, 12:58:40 PM »
Hearing a 4+1 year deal is on the cards, also worth 40k plus. Likely to sign within next couple of weeks.

That's a good contract for both sides, if he keeps scoring there's no chance of him seeing it out. It's all about increasing the eventual fee. God help us if/when we sell as the Internet moaners will complain no matter what happens.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 02:33:36 PM by KnaveofAlbion »
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #935 on: October 12, 2014, 02:48:08 PM »
Calum Chambers moved to Arsenal for 16m based on 20 games. Strikers always cost a lot more than defenders and Berahino's one of the best young striker in the country. Even Zaha cost 16m and he was far from the best player in the championship that season and was always extremely patchy in form. Maybe not 25m, but if he can hit 15 goals this season it'll certainly be around there. Consider people like Troy Deeney had bids of 12m in the summer. Not too mention Shane Long, whom Berahino has already almost matched his best goalscoring season in this league.

Besides which, it'll be his all round game that'll be impressing as much as his goalscoring at the moment. His touch is excellent, he's developed into a really good player with his back to goal and keeps the ball well, and crucially for a striker his off the ball movement is superb.

I think at the end of last season, if he was sold for anything in between 4-5 mill, a lot of albion fans would have took that. Let's rewind two/three weeks ago, after that Everton defeat, and we were all looking at where our goals were coming from. I just find everybody branding around these ridiculous fees about a bit silly after a couple of good goals and a few well placed penalties. I have been impressed with his hold up and link up play though. I guess we'll see what his value is come January.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #936 on: October 12, 2014, 04:13:52 PM »
I think at the end of last season, if he was sold for anything in between 4-5 mill, a lot of albion fans would have took that. Let's rewind two/three weeks ago, after that Everton defeat, and we were all looking at where our goals were coming from. I just find everybody branding around these ridiculous fees about a bit silly after a couple of good goals and a few well placed penalties. I have been impressed with his hold up and link up play though. I guess we'll see what his value is come January.
I'm with you on this.
Albion Family !!!

Silver Thostle

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #937 on: October 12, 2014, 07:21:03 PM »
On the basis of tonight's game against Estonia, I would have had Berahino as a shoe in, Wellbeck was utterly woeful, and how does Lambert get in?

I know Saido was quite rightly saved for the U21 game, but he would do a damn sight better than Wellbeck and Lambert, lallana and the ret of them anyday.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #938 on: October 12, 2014, 09:52:22 PM »
He plays for an unfashionable team so doesn't get picked, simple as.  Even in the U21 game he was required to play as a winger as Harry Kane was the target man, a position Kane doesn't even play for Spurs.

As soon as Berahino signs for a "big club" he'll be selected for England just like what happened with Bryan Robson.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #939 on: October 12, 2014, 10:08:23 PM »
Bryan Robson played for England before he left Albion,
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #940 on: October 12, 2014, 10:46:58 PM »
factually correct, however us owd uns can cite Statham, brown, astle as players who should have got England caps aplently but were overlooked for players from more fashionable clubs.
Albion Family !!!

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #941 on: October 12, 2014, 10:48:11 PM »

I idolised Bryan and find myself doing the same a bit with Saido....

If we draw all these parallels mate Saido will make a $#1T manager!!!!!
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #942 on: October 13, 2014, 09:05:21 AM »

You may well think it's silly but thats the current market for an English goalscorer
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #943 on: October 13, 2014, 10:05:52 AM »
Why  there all this talk of selling the kid, WHY do we "have to sell2 him, its not like we don't have a pot to pee in like we did when we sold Robson and Cunningham where we were only surviving by selling our top players. We re on a financial "even keel" now. Don't get me wrong if silly money is offered then we should look at it but he's only been in our first team five minutes, lets get some usage out of him before we offload him to the highest bidder, and by that I mean three or four years, not half a season FFS !!. A lot can change in those years, just ask Man United.

Really gets my goat all this talk of how much he's worth and this team or that team are looking at him and preparing bids, its all going to unsettle him and this type of rubbish is adding fuel to the fire. I personally hope JP has the cahoonas to tell anyone who comes what to do with themselves, at least for the next 4 years ( or 5 if he signs his new contract )  >:( >:( >:(
He's a lad from the Wrenna

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #944 on: October 13, 2014, 10:27:55 AM »
Why  there all this talk of selling the kid, WHY do we "have to sell2 him, its not like we don't have a pot to pee in like we did when we sold Robson and Cunningham where we were only surviving by selling our top players. We re on a financial "even keel" now. Don't get me wrong if silly money is offered then we should look at it but he's only been in our first team five minutes, lets get some usage out of him before we offload him to the highest bidder, and by that I mean three or four years, not half a season FFS !!. A lot can change in those years, just ask Man United.

Really gets my goat all this talk of how much he's worth and this team or that team are looking at him and preparing bids, its all going to unsettle him and this type of rubbish is adding fuel to the fire. I personally hope JP has the cahoonas to tell anyone who comes what to do with themselves, at least for the next 4 years ( or 5 if he signs his new contract )  >:( >:( >:(

I think the contract simply increases his fee. There's no chance unfortunately that he will see out the contract. I think he will stick it out this season and next season. I don't think it's a case of wanting to sell him, but if he has a few good seasons the value will just rocket.
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #945 on: October 13, 2014, 01:07:32 PM »
I think the contract simply increases his fee. There's no chance unfortunately that he will see out the contract. I think he will stick it out this season and next season. I don't think it's a case of wanting to sell him, but if he has a few good seasons the value will just rocket.

Agreed, in the projected future where by he scores 16 this season and 20 the next and we're still midtable, then I for one can't argue with the lad moving on, we get a huge fee to invest and he gets to play at a higher level.

The concept of keeping him forever and paying no regards to his wants is unrealistic.

I'm aware at this point some droll wag will have a go about JP investing a windfall, but that's another issue.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

we8seals

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #946 on: October 14, 2014, 01:20:32 PM »
Anyone who thinks that Saido will be in an albion shirt at the start of next season - assuming his continued improvement - is in dreamland. Its not a case of Albion wanting to sell or JP having ambition or the balls to say he is not for sale. The reality is that bigger and wealthier clubs will come calling and once his head has been turned, which it most surely will be, he will go. That is just the reality of the Premier League and our place in the natural order of things, there simply is nothing we can do about it. The best we can do is improve our league position and pay - as we have started to do - higher wages and thus reduce the number of clubs that he might go to. If one of the top 5 or 6 come for him he will be gone! But a measure of how far we have come is that it the number of British clubs he might go to is a lot smaller than it used to be!

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #947 on: October 14, 2014, 01:34:01 PM »
£20million and I would walk to the buying club to get the money.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #948 on: October 14, 2014, 01:43:02 PM »
Anyone who thinks that Saido will be in an albion shirt at the start of next season - assuming his continued improvement - is in dreamland.

In that case why is Bony still playing for Swansea, are Swansea a bigger club than West Brom?

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #949 on: October 14, 2014, 01:46:38 PM »
In that case why is Bony still playing for Swansea, are Swansea a bigger club than West Brom?

He's not English though.