Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2549396 times)

wbatillidie

• Youth Baggie

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #625 on: February 02, 2014, 06:58:38 PM »
Didn't see the point of sticking him out wide and deep today. Should be Vic/Anelka with Berahino/Vydra.
"You'll never get past Claudio"

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #626 on: February 02, 2014, 07:07:30 PM »
Didn't see the point of sticking him out wide and deep today. Should be Vic/Anelka with Berahino/Vydra.

Yep. Vydra and Berahino doesn't work. Same with Anichebe and Anelka.

Need one striker to make the runs and one to provide the assists. We have good options in this regard.

Anelka/Berahino would be my favoured partnership personally.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #627 on: February 02, 2014, 07:14:11 PM »
Saido is a finisher, he has a finishers instinct. I agree with others he is going to be no use wide right. Barcelona tried Lineker wide right - it didn't work, it wouldn't have worked using Michael Owen wide right, instinctive finishers need to be playing down the middle.

Berahino needs to be part of a two man attack to get the best out of him. To do that means abandoning the three man central midfield though and unfortunately we have looked better playing that way more often than not. The fact that we have no real pace in wide areas doesn't help us either.

A5HB

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #628 on: February 02, 2014, 09:27:11 PM »
I know there is a clamour to start him all the time from a lot of fans, but I have often agreed with the policy to leave him out. I think we saw today why 3 coaches haven't seen him as a regular. The effort was there but his decision making (as you'd expect with an inexperienced player) was lacking, and Mel and Downing spent a good chunk of the first half trying to get him focused on whatever tactical instructions he was supposed to be carrying out, something they clearly didn't think he was doing. In the end they just have up with it and stuck him inside, where he could be a bit more of a free spirit and his performance did improve a little.

I have recently become a little worried about Saido. He has been brilliant this year and his rise to 1st team regular is to be commended, but I am concerned it is going to his head. Suddenly he is a big talking point, a hero for the fans and on a big new deal, it's understandable he may get a bit carried away. I first noticed against Palace in the cup that he was being very selfish, shooting when he should pass, etc. We know that he has previously had some attitude issues, and them seem to keep coming up. I'm also not sure that loads of fans constantly tweeting him all the time telling him he is amazing, should be starting etc are helping. The other players, the coaching staff and us as fans all have a job to do to help him stay on track. For me he still has an awful lot to learn and he needs to develop the selfless aspects of his game to become a regular starter.

A very talented player, who I'm sure will contribute again this year. Right now however, I think he is best coming off the bench, playing as a free spirit when we need a goal.

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #629 on: February 02, 2014, 11:16:13 PM »
need to cut him a bit of slack. a natural goalscorer who needs more minutes on the pitch be that starting or getting on from the bench. the vydra/berahino combination didn't work today but we were playing a good Liverpool team so against other teams where we create a bit more might work. if big vic could stay fit he is a good foil for saido or vydra to play off.

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #630 on: February 03, 2014, 09:18:24 AM »
I know there is a clamour to start him all the time from a lot of fans, but I have often agreed with the policy to leave him out. I think we saw today why 3 coaches haven't seen him as a regular. The effort was there but his decision making (as you'd expect with an inexperienced player) was lacking, and Mel and Downing spent a good chunk of the first half trying to get him focused on whatever tactical instructions he was supposed to be carrying out, something they clearly didn't think he was doing. In the end they just have up with it and stuck him inside, where he could be a bit more of a free spirit and his performance did improve a little.

I have recently become a little worried about Saido. He has been brilliant this year and his rise to 1st team regular is to be commended, but I am concerned it is going to his head. Suddenly he is a big talking point, a hero for the fans and on a big new deal, it's understandable he may get a bit carried away. I first noticed against Palace in the cup that he was being very selfish, shooting when he should pass, etc. We know that he has previously had some attitude issues, and them seem to keep coming up. I'm also not sure that loads of fans constantly tweeting him all the time telling him he is amazing, should be starting etc are helping. The other players, the coaching staff and us as fans all have a job to do to help him stay on track. For me he still has an awful lot to learn and he needs to develop the selfless aspects of his game to become a regular starter.

A very talented player, who I'm sure will contribute again this year. Right now however, I think he is best coming off the bench, playing as a free spirit when we need a goal.

Both of us with the same wonderful name, both with the same opinion.

People mention his touch, but i find that one of his weakest points

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #631 on: February 03, 2014, 09:24:37 AM »
Saido will be the next Chris Wood (or Woods if you are one of those fans who never pronounce names properly, you know who you are  :D ).

I think we jumped the gun offering him 10k a week or more depending on what you believe.

Hope I'm wrong though like I was when we signed McAuley.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 09:26:41 AM by BB74 »

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #632 on: February 03, 2014, 10:05:06 AM »
I thought he was largely lethargic yesterday when there were actually a number of reasons why he should have been looking to impress.

wbadazza

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #633 on: February 03, 2014, 10:43:11 AM »
It was mentioned on WM that in the first half they could see why he doesn't start every game....poor decision making, naive, etc....clearly a great talent but coming offthe bench as an impact player with a tiring defence is probably a good move at the mo....

if he keeps starting and it doesn't work out, it could murder his confidence as he still is young...lot of pressure for a young kid with no prem experience to be told he is our saviour this season!!!

cut me in half you'll find blue and white stripes

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #634 on: February 03, 2014, 10:44:56 AM »
I think his best starting position is from the bench.
He's still learning his craft and I think the sudden exposure to national media and the talk of the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea looking at his has unsettled the lad a bit.
We shouldn't be heaping the responsibility for the way our season pans out onto his shoulders, lets get him eased into the side and back on song.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #635 on: February 03, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »
Two things with Berahino firstly all young players suffer from a bit of inconsistency and secondly the least developed part of the game is their judgement, which tends to improve overtime (actually when it doesn't that is often the stumbling block in a players development). To some extent that is what we saw yesterday. Things did not go particularly well for him and he lost his way in the game.

I think it is easier for young players if the coach puts them into roles were they have a clear job I thought the deeper lying role yesterday required Sadio to make a decision as to when to join Vydra and when to hang back and too often he fell between two stools. Personally I would deploy him as a wide attacker with license to roam and instruct the full back not to get ahead of him. It gives him a clear mission without the need to worry overmuch about what is happening behind him. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #636 on: February 03, 2014, 06:18:47 PM »
he seemed more concerned about defending and playing deep v Liverpool,i would carry on starting him as he is capable of beating his man,only him and sess in the whole squad can do this,his pace keeps the opposition on their toes and they will not commit in numbers when we use pacy forwards,this gives our midfield the upper hand,although a lot of fans not happy with berahino and vydra v Liverpool I think the presence of what they could potentially do pace wise,stopped Liverpool streaming forward at every oportunity

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #637 on: February 03, 2014, 06:28:34 PM »
he seemed more concerned about defending and playing deep v Liverpool,i would carry on starting him as he is capable of beating his man,only him and sess in the whole squad can do this,his pace keeps the opposition on their toes and they will not commit in numbers when we use pacy forwards,this gives our midfield the upper hand,although a lot of fans not happy with berahino and vydra v Liverpool I think the presence of what they could potentially do pace wise,stopped Liverpool streaming forward at every oportunity

Amalfitano, Anelka, Jones, Sinclair & now Thievy ??
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #638 on: February 03, 2014, 06:33:43 PM »

Whilst Berahino clearly has ability, his decision making yesterday was poor to say the least!
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #639 on: February 03, 2014, 06:34:35 PM »
Amalfitano, Anelka, Jones, Sinclair & now Thievy ??
amalfitano once v man utd,jones I will give you, Sinclair not in an albion shirt,anelka never,thievy who knows

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #640 on: February 03, 2014, 06:51:11 PM »
amalfitano once v man utd, Please, have you not watched any other games this season

jones I will give you, Thanks

Sinclair not in an albion shirt, You stated SB & SS were the only squad players who could beat their man, Sinclair's injury problems have prevented a run in the team but I think your in a minority of 1 if you don't think he can beat a player

anelka never, His pace is still good & he certainly has the ability to go past defenders

thievy who knows>>>>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juWKCoS17wU
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #641 on: February 03, 2014, 07:00:40 PM »
Amalfitano did seem to have the ability start when he first came but seems to have lost it as the seasons gone on. Anelka I haven't seen this in any game he has played, composure on the ball may be but beat a man no way, Sinclair has done nothing in the few games he has played, Thievy looks great though.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 08:50:34 AM by kris_boing »

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #642 on: February 03, 2014, 11:09:57 PM »
Saido will be the next Chris Wood (or Woods if you are one of those fans who never pronounce names properly, you know who you are  :D ).

I think we jumped the gun offering him 10k a week or more depending on what you believe.

Hope I'm wrong though like I was when we signed McAuley.
In this day and age it had to be that sort of offer to get him to sign and ensure we get a decent price if someone does come in for him in the next 2 years.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Londonbaggymike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #643 on: February 04, 2014, 07:46:05 AM »
Been said elsewhere but surely Saido buzzing around Big Vic would create lots of chances for the lad. I'd like to see this from the start against palace.

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #644 on: February 04, 2014, 10:51:20 PM »
Been said elsewhere but surely Saido buzzing around Big Vic would create lots of chances for the lad. I'd like to see this from the start against palace.
I hope pepe goes for this I also think its our best option upfront

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #645 on: April 05, 2014, 12:24:55 AM »
Well it is bizarre reading this thread after a couple of months of inactivity.

Best thing since sliced bread and now the most hated player at the club (maybe joint with Ridgewell).

Where has it all gone so wrong?

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #646 on: April 05, 2014, 06:14:54 AM »
Well it is bizarre reading this thread after a couple of months of inactivity.

Best thing since sliced bread and now the most hated player at the club (maybe joint with Ridgewell).

Where has it all gone so wrong?

The moment he put pen to paper on that new contract. The hunger went at that moment and he'd 'made it'.

Jeb-Dog

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #647 on: April 05, 2014, 06:45:28 AM »
There was so much promise in this lad at the start of the season. Had a super start to the season but really curtailed. I've seen nothing in the second half of the season to suggest he can make it at this level. Goals have dried up and his attitude has been very poor off the field. Really needed to go out on loan and us to keep Long.

Hope the fans stick with him though.

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #648 on: April 05, 2014, 10:29:07 AM »
Best way he could deal with this (for everybody) is to stick a couple in the back of the net and lay another on for JM today! COYB

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #649 on: April 05, 2014, 11:06:58 AM »
The lad has a lot of potential and its upto him what he does with it.

He has made some mistakes, and even this week seems to of carried it on with his social media stuff, but also he is a young lad earning stupid money and he has done some stupid things, when i was his age i earnt rubbish money and did stupid things!

Its part of being young and if he has any sense he will realise what he needs to do now to be the best he can be, the last week could be the making of him, hopefully its brought him down a peg or two. Form wise i think he has been poor, but again that happens to most young players at some point, its how they bounce back.

It really is upto him, he can look back and think 'okay i was a p****k, lesson learnt and make the papers for his football talent' or he can act like that idiot at Stoke, have a comment for everything and be in the news for being an idiot rather than anything you do on the football pitch!

I hope the fans dont boo him or anything, give him another chance and see what happens, if he messes up again then judge it then, but it will be interesting to see how both Berahino and James 'Rocky' Morrison do today!