Author Topic: Steve Clarke Sacked by Albion  (Read 358579 times)

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

Re: Steve Clarke Sacked by Albion
« Reply #900 on: February 03, 2013, 10:43:36 PM »
Surely if we had been 8-12th before this rot we would now be sitting around 16-19th?

If my aunty had balls she'd be my uncle....
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

TLMS17

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #901 on: February 03, 2013, 10:48:01 PM »
If my aunty had balls she'd be my uncle....
And your point being?
Born For Albion     Live For Albion     Die For Albion

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #902 on: February 03, 2013, 10:48:25 PM »
I totally agree with Baggies. He has been very unlucky recently; I don't think he's done much wrong. What happened today just encapsulates his misfortune. I thought the tactics were working well and then an experienced player inexplicably destroys all that good work. What can he do? I'm always impressed with what he has to say and I can't fault a lot of decisions. Lets just be thankful we have a lot of points on the board.

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #903 on: February 03, 2013, 11:11:28 PM »
Yesterday, Mick's Tractor Boys went above Wolves in the table for the first time this season.   ;D   No matter how bad your immediate situation appears, sacking your carefully-chosen manager/head coach is not something to be taken lightly and certainly isn't some instant panacea for losing.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 05:35:15 AM by Quakes Fan »

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #904 on: February 04, 2013, 12:08:40 AM »
Yesterday, Mick's Tractor Boys went above Wolves in the table for the first time this season.   ;D   No matter how bad your immediate situation appears, sacking your carefully-chosen manager/head coach is not something to be taken lightly and certainly isn't some instant panacea for losing.
Is this a new Spanish bread related dish? (no need to answer). ;)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 05:36:15 AM by Quakes Fan »
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

baggie-boy-ethan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #905 on: February 04, 2013, 12:44:23 AM »
And your point being?

We weren't 8th-12th when the run started so its irrelevant. What's getting on the managers back going to do to help us? I don't think he can do much more, I actually think he's the only one who has come out of the last month with any credit at all. He's obviously a top bloke. I think we'll beat Sunderland at home and give a good account of ourselves away at Chelsea.

I don't mean to aim this all at you, but generally speaking what can you do about a player driving himself down to London to try and force a move, or Mulumbu being in Africa, a host of injuries or Popov spitting at someone? It's a matter of time until we turn this around in my opinion and there's no need to get on Clarke's back

AlbionDaz

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #906 on: February 04, 2013, 01:01:34 AM »
I remember  Charlton punching above their weight starting the season well and fading towards the end for a few seasons , then sacking their manager curbishley,because they thought they could do better I bet they regret that now. Be careful what you wish for .
Curbishly was there manager for a number of seasons,the team was built up by him,SC inherited the core of this team so its not really the same thing.

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #907 on: February 04, 2013, 01:09:01 AM »
Lets not start talking about sacking SC. We are in a good position in the league. We've had more than our share on injuries so be fair with whats happening. Lets see how we do with the team back to strength before we jump to any conclusions. If we finish in the top 10 thats a 3rd year we have done well. We can build on this, just give it some time.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #908 on: February 04, 2013, 05:22:14 AM »
Results are poor but more worrying for me is the lack of disciplne from our players.The things that have gone on in the last few days have left me dumbfounded.
I think Clarke could have lost the respect of the team.

Vassassin

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #909 on: February 04, 2013, 05:50:20 AM »
It is a perplexing situation with all the madness going on with the players. Think SC must make a statement and put the foot down, even to the extent it costs us a game and let a few of our "superstars" know what the pine bench feels like. Couldn't believe what I witnessed on the telly this morning. Commend SC on his statements re the Popov incident, disgraceful, next I think he needs to show Olsson the ropes in being respectful to the club he serves, and an extremely humble and apologetic PO sitting next to SC in a press conference would also start to turn things around from a moral point of view. What has happen to our club?????????
Return our Parthenon Marbles, we're going nuts without them!

TLMS17

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #910 on: February 04, 2013, 06:28:13 AM »
We weren't 8th-12th when the run started so its irrelevant. What's getting on the managers back going to do to help us? I don't think he can do much more, I actually think he's the only one who has come out of the last month with any credit at all. He's obviously a top bloke. I think we'll beat Sunderland at home and give a good account of ourselves away at Chelsea.

I don't mean to aim this all at you, but generally speaking what can you do about a player driving himself down to London to try and force a move, or Mulumbu being in Africa, a host of injuries or Popov spitting at someone? It's a matter of time until we turn this around in my opinion and there's no need to get on Clarke's back
Yes however my reply was to a comment of somebody saying what if we were in that position and I was making the point that if that was the case we would be in a far worse position than what we are now
Born For Albion     Live For Albion     Die For Albion

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #911 on: February 04, 2013, 06:30:31 AM »
 >:( No doubting SC is p!@#$d- off with the result against Spurs...basically blamed Popov for effing up the team ...as seen on the interview after the game.

I support SC and he must be just as frustrated as us with the team effort and results.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #912 on: February 04, 2013, 08:26:26 AM »
We cant keep sacking managers.I will admit he wasn't my choice and i was deflated when he was announced.The man lacks charisma, he doesnt look like Mr Motivator
If we don't pick up at all in any of our games left i do worry for next season. Popov was to blame for yesterday and i would not play him again.There was most definitely an improvement in our performance until he was sent off.
Steve has a tough challenge ahead no doubt.Roy's euphoria has come to an end.Its time for Steve to show us he can manage the players

My season ticket next season depends on whether the football improves until the end of the season
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #913 on: February 04, 2013, 08:34:27 AM »
We cant sack Clarke, we have got to give him time, he is still learning and hopefully he can learn from this bad run that we are on at the minute.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #914 on: February 04, 2013, 08:53:50 AM »
Really have to stick with Clarke almost no matter what happens between now and the end of the season. Too often the Head Coach gets the bullet which lets under performing players off the hook.  I feel that some players may have got a bit ahead themselves and yes it is up to him to sort them out but you cannot blame the coach for their stupidity, particularly if he has not the resources to bench players who are letting him down e.g. Olsson.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #915 on: February 04, 2013, 08:59:43 AM »
Results are poor but more worrying for me is the lack of disciplne from our players.The things that have gone on in the last few days have left me dumbfounded.
I think Clarke could have lost the respect of the team.

Loosing Respect, i agree.
We should have just done enough this season on the back of Roy's good work which now seems to have come to an end.If the performances don't improve from the start of next season hes gone by Christmas
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #916 on: February 04, 2013, 09:27:38 AM »
I like Clarke and think with time could become a great manager for us, however this is really 50/50 at the moment.

1) the club have decided that we just get to summer then rebuild and push on (due to us being"safe"already) and Clarke has agreed to this so they will show loyalty to him.

2) a couple more matches without a win and he's gone, there may have been other factors with RDM but ultimately the run is very similar?, and each place is worth around 800k .

Many people have mentioned the board failing to back him in jan, maybe they offered, maybe he was happy with the squad, very easy to blame the chairman , maybe the chairman should pick the formation and play people in there proper position?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #917 on: February 04, 2013, 10:21:21 AM »
I think I'm right in saying that Clarke STILL has the highest points tally we've ever had at this time in the PL.

That fact is what is saving Clarke from a massive grilling atm.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #918 on: February 04, 2013, 10:26:38 AM »
Really have to stick with Clarke almost no matter what happens between now and the end of the season. Too often the Head Coach gets the bullet which lets under performing players off the hook.  I feel that some players may have got a bit ahead themselves and yes it is up to him to sort them out but you cannot blame the coach for their stupidity, particularly if he has not the resources to bench players who are letting him down e.g. Olsson.

Most of our problems go back to the myth that we have a 'strong' squad. I just cannot believe SC saying that he was 'happy' with the squad, that little mistake may still cost him his job.

AlbionDaz

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #919 on: February 04, 2013, 10:40:24 AM »

1) the club have decided that we just get to summer then rebuild and push on (due to us being"safe"already) and Clarke has agreed to this so they will show loyalty to him.

Many people have mentioned the board failing to back him in jan, maybe they offered, maybe he was happy with the squad, very easy to blame the chairman , maybe the chairman should pick the formation and play people in there proper position?

What if the board had no intention of backing him,as his job is under scrutiny after the amazing collapse of out good start.

Also was told in the Sportsman that 5 players fell out with SC in training,guy who told me is genuine,but he heard it second hand and might not be the complete truth.

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #920 on: February 04, 2013, 10:41:23 AM »
Can somebody tell me how many points we had this time last year?

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #921 on: February 04, 2013, 10:48:49 AM »
He was always going to say he was happy, we had a record points total in January - he's hardly going to talk about replacing team members. I'm sure if there was money available he'd have been interested in a few additions, we never spend money in January and we're getting where the loan deals we used to rely on just aren't the quality we need anymore.

Hodgson due to his status in the game, the club seemed willing to basically do what he wanted (within reason), spending on Ridgewell in January, and backing him on Long. I think due to Clarke's lower status and a much lower risk of him leaving, they can get away with being a lot more stringent, particularly with the start we had - justifying the teams quality in their view.

He certainly deserves the summer, and there's no way the club will sack him with the club virtually safe. We don't want to be constantly changing manager. And nor should we, we have the lowest wage bill and the players aren't that good - Hodgson got the England job on the back of his work with us. He's an excellent manager. But Clarke deserves time too. There are concerns to be had, over style, what direction exactly he's taken us. But he's also been unlucky - our injury record was superb the past couple of seasons, this year its been terrible.

With the increased tv deal and given we spent nothing this January, he needs to be actually backed in the summer. We did well in the transfer market, but that was for a limited number of players last year, this year we're going to be looking at 7 or 8 - relying on free's and loan's for that is going to be a very difficult prospect.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 10:53:15 AM by Dan »

kev

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #922 on: February 04, 2013, 10:57:39 AM »
I think he has lost the respect of the players. The continues swapping and changing of the team and with all the controversy on and off the field is making us a lathing stock
I think before it is too late he has to go. It’s a shame he seems a nice man but he needs to develop as a manager and I don’t think it should be with a Perm side. We need someone to pull the team back into line and stop the rot

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #923 on: February 04, 2013, 11:00:32 AM »
Can somebody tell me how many points we had this time last year?

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #924 on: February 04, 2013, 11:02:58 AM »

and we had 32 by the 26th of feb so we are still in front.My only concern i cant see where the next point is coming from.Momentum this time last year was on the rise