Author Topic: Yo-Yo vs Stability  (Read 8140 times)

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

Yo-Yo vs Stability
« on: April 17, 2015, 11:02:13 AM »
Looking at the Norwich - Middlesborough game tonight made me a bit jealous and got me thinking. Were we better off as a yo-yo club?
Would you rather finish 15th every year or swing between a relegation battle and promotion?
Personally I love the Championship, with the only downside being that your aspiration is promotion back to the greed league, so I would rather yo-yo a bit than just exist as cannon fodder to the mighty 5.
I know the Prem is where the money is, but does that really matter to us fans, it's not like we see any of it and I can't say the quality of player is much better, they are just paid more and try less!

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Yo-Yo vs Stability
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 11:13:11 AM »
I agree yo-yoing is great fun and probably delivers the greatest amount of excitement and satisfaction for a club like us who will never break the top 6/7.

The only problem is I feel we were pretty lucky with how quickly we gained promotions back to the PL. We had the right players and managers in place and without that we could be in the positions of other clubs now languishing in the championship or even worse divisions below.

I think relegation this season does not mean an instant promotion race next year. If anything we are now at the levels of Fulham, Bolton, Wigan, Blackburn etc who spent a good few years in the PL, enhanced their spending year by year to end up being relegated and crippled in the championship.

ComebackStrodds

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 11:16:38 AM »
I know what you mean as there's alot of happy memories from success in the Champo. but to be honest my answer would be no. With a little bit of stability and a push In the right direction we could be making other targets. Prem all the way for me. And when you look at Wigan, Bolton, blues and others you think would our current squad cope with the demands of the championship. I could see Ideye doing well down there though.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 11:26:10 AM »
In the Prem we are a small fish in the Championship we are a bigger fish.
Personally I love the Championship, I think its a far better  playing ethos than the Premiership.
The teams mentioned above are all teams similar to ourselves who hobbled about mid table stability for a while then ended up loosing the plot and dropping through the trap door.
If you look at the Championship its littered with ex Premiership teams who didn't invest enough in quality to stave off relegation.
You need to ask yourselves, do you want to watch this type of football (as we play now) week in week out?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 11:29:14 AM »
In the Prem we are a small fish in the Championship we are a bigger fish.
Personally I love the Championship, I think its a far better  playing ethos than the Premiership.
The teams mentioned above are all teams similar to ourselves who hobbled about mid table stability for a while then ended up loosing the plot and dropping through the trap door.
If you look at the Championship its littered with ex Premiership teams who didn't invest enough in quality to stave off relegation.
You need to ask yourselves, do you want to watch this type of football (as we play now) week in week out?

When in the Championship we were treated to Di Matteo and Mowbray. Then there was Robson and Megson's way of playing. Who's to say which we would end up with if we went down?

We could end up watching even worse football at a worse level... not all that exciting.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 11:29:19 AM »
We are part of that yo-yo.
The first part "yo"
Relegation ! >:(

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 11:42:55 AM »
I agree yo-yoing is great fun and probably delivers the greatest amount of excitement and satisfaction for a club like us who will never break the top 6/7.

The only problem is I feel we were pretty lucky with how quickly we gained promotions back to the PL. We had the right players and managers in place and without that we could be in the positions of other clubs now languishing in the championship or even worse divisions below.

I think relegation this season does not mean an instant promotion race next year. If anything we are now at the levels of Fulham, Bolton, Wigan, Blackburn etc who spent a good few years in the PL, enhanced their spending year by year to end up being relegated and crippled in the championship.
Agree with this to a degree, but sooner or later they will bounce back, if you look at the top you have Norwich, Middlesborough, Watford, Derby, Ipswich and Wolves, who all fall into the same bracket.
The difference, I think, is that every August you have a goal and belief that this will be the year, a genuine chance. In the Prem you know you will ALWAYS lose more than you win, the the only goal is survival and mediocrity is success. Sad isn't it?

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 11:48:06 AM »
Agree with this to a degree, but sooner or later they will bounce back, if you look at the top you have Norwich, Middlesborough, Watford, Derby, Ipswich and Wolves, who all fall into the same bracket.
The difference, I think, is that every August you have a goal and belief that this will be the year, a genuine chance. In the Prem you know you will ALWAYS lose more than you win, the the only goal is survival and mediocrity is success. Sad isn't it?

Yes you can look at it that way too which I agree with. It's interesting though because I think fans of those teams would swap it all to be in our current position (even if they have been previously).

It's all very sad but that is modern day football for you.

stokelad84

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 11:55:01 AM »
Got to be stability for me.

You can have a great Championship season and finish in the top 2. What is your reward? Relegation in 12 months time!  :)

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 12:12:27 PM »
Being at the top of the championship is far more fun than being at the bottom of the PL. 

In the yo-yo years we were effective in terms of managing the player turnover and challenging every time we went down.  In those days the gap between the champs and PL was much smaller.  Now it is huge, and the season after next its going to be massive (turnover would drop by at least two thirds even with parachute payments).  On top of that the new Financial Fair Play rules in the champs  mean that dropping into that division with a PL wage bill - even with relegation clauses - will cause real problems and very punitive fines if you don't get immediate promotion.

I like the idea of winning lots of games, but if we really want to be able to achieve anything in the future (probably only possible in the cups) then we need to be in the PL.  If we want to be a progressive team, attracting good players then we need to be in the PL.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 12:31:50 PM »
Stability for me.

As much as you might enjoy the football we played in the Championship, you have to remember the amount of games you would lose to be relegated and how unhappy you would be, coming home from a relegation 6 pointer and remaining bottom of the premier league for your relegation status to be confirmed.

I also believe the Championship is possibly the hardest league to get out of in the world. The amount of teams now in that league that are all the same type of level is ridiculous.

Not for me.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 12:56:12 PM »
Hots up near the end especially with how close it is at the top now but Huddersfield at home on a Tuesday night in November? Na you're alright!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 01:19:35 PM »
Hots up near the end especially with how close it is at the top now but Huddersfield at home on a Tuesday night in November? Na you're alright!
I love the 2 games a week, not as much time to stew over a defeat and if you win you just want the next game asap.

Hong Kong Phooey

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 09:29:11 PM »
Got to be stability for me.

You can have a great Championship season and finish in the top 2. What is your reward? Relegation in 12 months time!  :)

For someone from Stoke you do talk some sense!

Cannot understand why you would want to play your football outside the top division even if it meant being "more successful" at a lower level.

Surely, the whole point of the league system is to climb as high and be the best that you possibbly can and to test yourself against the very best?

There are 72 league clubs striving week in week out to be where we are right now.

And to think that Jeremy Peace and the club as a whole get accused of lacking ambition is nothing in comparison to wanting to be the best of the rest!

It would have been interesting to put this to the vote, as for me, the best way to be successful, playing "the Albion way" and to possibly win some trophies again one day, is by staying in the Premier League.

In football, as in life, facing up to difficulties makes us stronger…Carlos Corberan

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 10:11:18 PM »
I'm sure I read a statistic the other day that our overall footballing position in this country is 10th . We are a premier league club and that is how it should remain . It is not a given we would be anywhere near the top of that league if we went down.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 10:32:26 PM »
I'm sure I read a statistic the other day that our overall footballing position in this country is 10th . We are a premier league club and that is how it should remain . It is not a given we would be anywhere near the top of that league if we went down.

www.myfootballfacts.com/All-TimeTopFlightPointsTable1888-89to2010-11.html

Alll time top division table and we are 11th, I think that is very impressive!

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2015, 12:51:22 AM »
Too many seem to have a small time attitude. This club has languished in the wilderness for far, far too long. It is high time we pushed on.

wbatillidie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2015, 02:21:58 AM »
Why would anyone rather be in the championship fighting to get back to what we already have. Premier league every time.
"You'll never get past Claudio"

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2015, 01:44:33 PM »
Do I want to be watching Bristol City, Preston, MK Dons when I could be watching Chelsea Arsenal Man Utd - no offence to the former but it's the latter everyday of the week.  The objective is to see how good we can become not regress back to the championship.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2015, 01:47:06 PM »
Do I want to be watching Bristol City, Preston, MK Dons when I could be watching Chelsea Arsenal Man Utd - no offence to the former but it's the latter everyday of the week.  The objective is to see how good we can become not regress back to the championship.

I go to watch the Albion couldn't give a monkeys who's lining up against us. The opposition aren't a draw for me. That said I'm not longing for the bad old days. We need to strive to be as successful as we can.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2015, 02:09:38 PM »
I go to watch the Albion couldn't give a monkeys who's lining up against us. The opposition aren't a draw for me. That said I'm not longing for the bad old days. We need to strive to be as successful as we can.

But the better the opposition the better you hope you can perform. To better yourself you have to play the best to be the best you can.

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 03:22:01 AM »
Sorry but I am an Adult.

I do not want to sit at one of the Kids tables................

Yes, some may think it is more "fun" but I don't want to just be playing for just peanuts and the possibility of sitting with the grown ups.

I much prefer to be in the adult conversation and while, yes, the menu does cost more, it is usually worth it.
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.