Author Topic: Jake Livermore  (Read 468733 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Jake Livermore
« Reply #1650 on: August 24, 2021, 06:09:58 PM »
Of course it's the passing. If he has a higher passing accuracy but loses possession more all that shows is he's making a considerably higher number of passes than Livermore. I dread to think how many times he'd have given it away from the same number of attempts.

So not remotely hypocritical if you apply critical thinking...

Thats your forte isn't it "critical"  ;D
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1651 on: August 25, 2021, 09:04:21 AM »
Of course it's the passing. If he has a higher passing accuracy but loses possession more all that shows is he's making a considerably higher number of passes than Livermore. I dread to think how many times he'd have given it away from the same number of attempts.

So not remotely hypocritical if you apply critical thinking...

It is hypocritical as you have damned one player for giving the ball away but not another for giving it away more.

Passing isn't the only criteria used to decide "losing possession". So no, it isn't just about passing, being tackled and losing the ball would also be losing possession.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1652 on: August 25, 2021, 09:08:12 AM »
if you're a midfielder this system you're not there to play through the opposition.  From what i can see, Ismael doesn't want to play football in the middle third; he wants to get the ball forward to the front players or to win it back as quickly as possible.  This means the midfield is where the battle for possession takes place.  once the ball is won it's immediately propelled forward.  This results in our giving the ball away so frequently and the seemingly endless head tennis rallies. ALL our midfielders concede possession, it's the nature of Ismael's way of playing.  I don't know if there's a place for someone to put their foot on the ball and/or play defence splitting passes and/or play combinations through the opposition in this system.  There should be, but we haven't seen it yet.

I totally agree with you, my point was that Jacko was criticising one player for giving the ball away when another player had given it away more yet wasn't being criticised.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1653 on: August 25, 2021, 09:10:13 AM »
I don't feel you need to see any stats to know that Livermore's passing is fairly atrocious.

He can be carried in this system, but we are crying out for him to be improved upon.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1654 on: August 25, 2021, 09:25:02 AM »
I totally agree with you, my point was that Jacko was criticising one player for giving the ball away when another player had given it away more yet wasn't being criticised.

Mowatt has an end product. Jake doesn't for the most part. Totally different players playing in a system requiring different kinds of intensity. One creates, one bullies.

Not much point trying to compare the two when their qualities complement each other. Both do a job but one could more easily be improved upon to enhance the team's end product. It isn't Mowatt.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1655 on: August 25, 2021, 10:23:20 AM »
I don't feel you need to see any stats to know that Livermore's passing is fairly atrocious.

He can be carried in this system, but we are crying out for him to be improved upon.
Mowatt has an end product. Jake doesn't for the most part. Totally different players playing in a system requiring different kinds of intensity. One creates, one bullies.

Not much point trying to compare the two when their qualities complement each other. Both do a job but one could more easily be improved upon to enhance the team's end product. It isn't Mowatt.

You both make very valid points but none of it is relevant to the fact that Jacko calls out Livermore for giving the ball away yet doesn't call out Mowatt for doing it more often. If you criticise a player using one criteria then you should also criticise another player for failing in the same criteria.

I'm not comparing the two, I know and have stated that Mowatt is a better all round player than Livermore. I'd love us to get an improvement on Livermore....and a few others.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1656 on: August 25, 2021, 02:33:54 PM »
Although ball winning is probably his strongest asset, he should be making more of a contribution to goals scored from his central midfield position. I can't remember many occasions where he picks out a through pass which puts someone through on goal. He also needs to offer more of a goal threat himself.  I will be gobsmacked if he gets anywhere near Mowatt's totals on both those counts this season. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1657 on: August 25, 2021, 04:41:02 PM »
Who in their right mind is comparing Jake's passing to Alex Mowatt? It's like comparing Dawn French to Margot Robbie.

Livermore's passing ranges between poor to terrible most of the time. Anyone watching him play should be able to spot that. Look at Mowatt assist for Robinson on his debut at Bournemouth, perfectly weighted pass whilst on the run past their defender for our equaliser. I don't remember Livermore ever doing that in an Albion top and he has 151 appearances.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1658 on: August 25, 2021, 05:34:08 PM »
Who in their right mind is comparing Jake's passing to Alex Mowatt? It's like comparing Dawn French to Margot Robbie.

Livermore's passing ranges between poor to terrible most of the time. Anyone watching him play should be able to spot that. Look at Mowatt assist for Robinson on his debut at Bournemouth, perfectly weighted pass whilst on the run past their defender for our equaliser. I don't remember Livermore ever doing that in an Albion top and he has 151 appearances.

Not a fan of the larger ladies then?  ;D

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1659 on: August 26, 2021, 11:47:48 AM »

nobody is comparing them.

Evo_Baggies

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1660 on: August 26, 2021, 12:06:45 PM »
You both make very valid points but none of it is relevant to the fact that Jacko calls out Livermore for giving the ball away yet doesn't call out Mowatt for doing it more often. If you criticise a player using one criteria then you should also criticise another player for failing in the same criteria.

Depends on the type of pass for me, I see Livermore give the ball way a lot in positions where he should have easily made the pass (usually sideways) Mowatt does give it away but you can see he is always trying the more difficult pass, through balls, quick round the corners etc. I feel with those players you have to accept they will lose possession.

As for Dawn French, I'd rather have her in midfield than Jake some games

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1661 on: August 26, 2021, 01:32:12 PM »
I've noticed that if Jake misplaces an easy pass the forum is instantly full of moans.  When other players misplace similar passes, or easier, it's not even mentioned. 

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1662 on: August 26, 2021, 01:47:23 PM »
I've noticed that if Jake misplaces an easy pass the forum is instantly full of moans.  When other players misplace similar passes, or easier, it's not even mentioned.
I don't mind players misplacing passes too much if they can spot the killer through passes which split defences. Pereira's passes were often off the mark, but on the other  hand  he could spot potential goal scoring openings for others. He also could weight passes well. With Jake, his forward passes are too imprecise. The sideways ones don't usually get us further, so when they get misplaced its even more irritating. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Dorrans17

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1663 on: August 29, 2021, 12:07:08 PM »
Not one for knocking players, but the amount of times he had space on the ball, and the first thing that comes into his head is smash it up the park.

Very frustrating, especially when our goal came from a bit of composure from Furlong in the middle of the park.

We really are crying out for another technical player with Mowatt.
Baggie

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1664 on: August 29, 2021, 12:16:37 PM »
Better than Mowatt last night without a doubt
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1665 on: August 29, 2021, 12:18:08 PM »
Agreed, in impressed with mowatt  last night
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1666 on: August 29, 2021, 12:45:58 PM »
Part of the crew that saved the fan from a steward too. Lot of time for that
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1667 on: August 29, 2021, 01:52:04 PM »
Not one for knocking players, but the amount of times he had space on the ball, and the first thing that comes into his head is smash it up the park.

Very frustrating, especially when our goal came from a bit of composure from Furlong in the middle of the park.

We really are crying out for another technical player with Mowatt.

Every player does that, it's clearly under instruction.

Dorrans17

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1668 on: August 29, 2021, 02:30:01 PM »
Every player does that, it's clearly under instruction.

I understand a more direct approach has taken priority, when a Centre Halve pings it forward  I get it. When you receive the ball in the centre of the park with no opposition within 15 yards of you, a pass should be picked.

Not slating Jake every players has there pros & cons.
Baggie

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1669 on: August 29, 2021, 02:30:32 PM »
Yep…whilst effort should be mandatory, he always puts a shift in….gives a **** and has actually shown some good leadership …
He probably knows he’s not the best technically , and I would improve on him, but he at least gives his best effort and not all “pro” footballers can say that ?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 03:41:09 PM by OldburyWBA »
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

brummyroader

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1670 on: August 29, 2021, 02:48:23 PM »

What happened mate? The fan that ran on?

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1671 on: August 29, 2021, 03:12:53 PM »

Agreed. He did his job last night and, I am sure, that is what Val would say about his display.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1672 on: August 29, 2021, 03:43:46 PM »
I understand a more direct approach has taken priority, when a Centre Halve pings it forward  I get it. When you receive the ball in the centre of the park with no opposition within 15 yards of you, a pass should be picked.

Not slating Jake every players has there pros & cons.

Yeah, I agree, my point was that every player does it, not just Jake yet here we are in a Livermore thread.  We can hardly have a go at players who are obeying the manager's instructions.

festerp

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1673 on: August 29, 2021, 03:44:22 PM »
nobody is comparing them.

The real comparison is who grows a better set of sideburns.  Jake looks to win that point.
“In my mind, you gotta have three things to be a Premier League team. 1) You gotta play physical. 2) you gotta give 100 percent until the final whistle and 3) you gotta be sponsored by a Middle-Eastern airline.”

Baltic

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1674 on: August 29, 2021, 04:09:37 PM »
I think Jake is doing a decent job for the side.  He's doing as instructed and at this level is still an asset.  He's also been there in good and bad times with over 150 appearances so that deserves some appreciation and respect. 

As stated by many, Mowett is a different type of player and is a more talented all round footballer.  Maybe the £10m more we paid for Livermore colours opinion, but at the moment they are doing a decent job.