Author Topic: Wayne Hennessey & education  (Read 6204 times)

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

Wayne Hennessey & education
« on: April 20, 2019, 10:49:01 AM »
Just read about Wayne Hennessey and the Nazi salute photo.

If you're not sure what happened, he was photographed at a party making the Hitler moustache and the Nazi salute. He denied it, saying he was shouting to the person taking the photo, The FA investigated it and cleared him on the basis he said he didn't know what a Nazi salute was.

Roy Hodgson has now come out saying WH is desperate to learn about Hitler etc and that he's not sure what kids are being taught these days.

The whole thing sounds dodgy to me. You'd have to live in a remote village with some tribe who's never seen civilisation not to know who the Nazis are. (Now waiting for the Welsh comments to start...) and as a pro GK I expect he heard about Mark Bosnich, as well as other extreme supporters in Europe who made the news because of Nazi flags?

With regards racism, it's said time and time again that education is needed. But is it? I used to teach history at a secondary school and WW2 was a big topic. Everyone studied it at some point at varying levels. And it still didn't stop kids from getting the meaning of racism confused.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Wayne Hennessey & education
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 10:53:11 AM »

If you're not sure what happened, he was photographed at a party making the Hitler moustache and the Nazi salute. He denied it, saying he was shouting to the person taking the photo, The FA investigated it and cleared him on the basis he said he didn't know what a Nazi salute was.

Roy Hodgson has now come out saying WH is desperate to learn about Hitler etc and that he's not sure what kids are being taught these days.

The whole thing sounds dodgy to me. You'd have to live in a remote village with some tribe who's never seen civilisation not to know who the Nazis are. (Now waiting for the Welsh comments to start...) and as a pro GK I expect he heard about Mark Bosnich, as well as other extreme supporters in Europe who made the news because of Nazi flags?

With regards racism, it's said time and time again that education is needed. But is it? I used to teach history at a secondary school and WW2 was a big topic. Everyone studied it at some point at varying levels. And it still didn't stop kids from getting the meaning of racism confused.

You are severely underestimating how thick some of these vacuous young lads are.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 11:07:25 AM »

I am sure he knows all he needs to know about Hitler, and I am also sure that the FA are the only people in the country who believes his cock and bull story........
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 08:41:25 AM by skyclad99 »
MAGA!

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 11:29:18 AM »
Send him on a tour to Auschwitz! He will learn all he needs to know about Hitler and the Nazi's.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 12:15:03 PM »
Has never seen any programs on the TV about WW2?
So many programs on about the Blitz etc.
What did he think Schindler's List was about?

Even comedies such as Dad's Army and Allo Allo, would at least give him something to think about.

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 12:20:23 PM »
I'm sorry but the FA panel must be the most gullible people in existence.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 12:37:41 PM »
Dare I say it?
Something to do with a Laarndon team?

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 02:05:07 PM »
Even Trump would be proud of this elaborate cover-up.

Of course he knows who the Nazis are. He was quite clearly trying to be 'funny' giving it the Nazi salute to his German teammate. The fact that Hodgson is going with this despicable lie is all the more disappointing.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 03:53:41 PM »
Even Trump would be proud of this elaborate cover-up.

Of course he knows who the Nazis are. He was quite clearly trying to be 'funny' giving it the Nazi salute to his German teammate. The fact that Hodgson is going with this despicable lie is all the more disappointing.

The whole "desperate to learn" nonsense they're now spewing is just frankly insulting.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 09:12:46 PM »

You are severely underestimating how thick some of these vacuous young lads are.
I wouldn't use the words thick and vacuous but you may not be a million miles away. A section of the youngish generation (but certainly not all) are so absorbed in the celebrity culture that real events or real news let alone history are totally off their radar. As for the Schindlers List, Dad's Army and Allo Allo mentioned above, Hennessey is too young to have been watching those at the time and unlikely to have caught up with them since. I think he was 'trying to be funny' giving his teammate the salute, we can only imagine what dressing room humour is like especially at a Christmas 'urine up'. I think it's a learn your lesson and move on case.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 12:22:26 AM »
The whole "desperate to learn" nonsense they're now spewing is just frankly insulting.

Aye, an utter disgrace. Shame on Hennessey; shame on Hodgson; shame on Crystal Palace.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2019, 09:18:32 AM »
If he had just come out and admitted it was a joke, albeit an ill advised one,  between him and a friend then I don’t think many people would have been that bothered.

Obviously some would cry racist, and you’d have those who are always offended on behalf of others but most would have seen it for what it was.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2019, 09:19:48 AM »
If he had just come out and admitted it was a joke, albeit an ill advised one,  between him and a friend then I don’t think many people would have been that bothered.

Obviously some would cry racist, and you’d have those who are always offended on behalf of others but most would have seen it for what it was.

Strange how attitudes change, it was perfectly acceptable in Fawlty Towers.......
MAGA!

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2019, 09:29:30 AM »
Strange how attitudes change, it was perfectly acceptable in Fawlty Towers.......

That was part of my thinking. Jokes have been made about the war for  years, and we make jokes of other many more recent tragedies..  Do I believe WH is a fascist or a racist, no.

Sadly I think part of this silly lie is driven by the fear of being labelled but he’s actually made even more of a tit of himself. 

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2019, 11:45:11 AM »
The prim and proper upper crust do goodies have taken a lot of fun out of life. When I was young it was part of everyday life to take the Micky out of anyone and everyone and for others to take the Micky out of you. We just laughed it off.

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2019, 12:36:12 PM »
The prim and proper upper crust do goodies have taken a lot of fun out of life. When I was young it was part of everyday life to take the Micky out of anyone and everyone and for others to take the Micky out of you. We just laughed it off.

Did they also jail gay people and throw bananas at black football players? Oh the hilarity of it all.

If you had actually bothered to read the posts in this thread, it's more to do with how laughable it is that the FA bought the line that Hennessey doesn't even know what the Nazis were.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 12:37:53 PM by east-stand-nick »

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2019, 12:57:10 PM »
Did they also jail gay people and throw bananas at black football players? Oh the hilarity of it all.

If you had actually bothered to read the posts in this thread, it's more to do with how laughable it is that the FA bought the line that Hennessey doesn't even know what the Nazis were.

Thanks for correcting me Sarcastic Nick. You sound like one of those do-gooders!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 01:39:47 PM by OldburyWBA »

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2019, 07:34:22 PM »
The saddest thing is that they now cut a scene when they show reruns which is actually anti- racist, the bit where the Major is explaining to Basil the difference between W***s and N*****s.  The whole point is that the Major îs a crusty old drunk, and Basil isn't the least bit interested.  Pathetic.

Back on Henessey and WW2, you'd be surprised how many young folk can't get the dates 1939-1945 right.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2019, 08:32:56 PM »
WH is no different to most of society, including political and ruling classes of all ages.

Taking integrity, honesty, responsibility and taking ownership for our words, deeds and actions are, sadly, a thing of the past

The new truth is to lie and lie and lie and lie, I think you get what I mean!
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2019, 10:46:19 PM »
Can I believe a footballer is as thick as mince? Yes.

Do I believe the FA panel thinks it is possible for a footballer to be so ignorant as to not know what a Nazi salute is? Yes although they are rather hard pressed to prove otherwise if that is his position.

Well it is never too late to learn I strongly suggest that Hennessey forgoes a few days sunning himself in Marbs and visits  Auschwitz during the summer that would be a crash course in the sheer horror of Nazism. After that nothing to do with the Thrid Riech will ever be remotely funny.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 01:53:03 AM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

saml30

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2019, 11:11:37 PM »
What did he think the minutes silence he did every year was for?
Blue and White Barmy Army !!!

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2019, 05:47:40 PM »
The way the press have picked up the story has been unhelpful. I think Hennessy fully well knew enough about Hitler and the Nazi salute, but he feigned ignorance as part of his defence.

The main body of his defence however was not that he didn't know about Nazi salutes, but that he was calling to Meyer to take the photograph, and Palace used a few photographs from match days of him using THE EXACT SAME GESTURE on the pitch, shouting to his defence.

https://mobile.twitter.com/gg_rufc/status/1113860027847184385/photo/1

The reality is that the FA gave him the benefit of the doubt that he wad calling and it was just an awkward moment caught on picture (fair decision), but then made it a story by detailing the second half of his defence that he didn't know what a nazi salute was
Boing Boing

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2019, 07:22:00 PM »
The way the press have picked up the story has been unhelpful. I think Hennessy fully well knew enough about Hitler and the Nazi salute, but he feigned ignorance as part of his defence.

The main body of his defence however was not that he didn't know about Nazi salutes, but that he was calling to Meyer to take the photograph, and Palace used a few photographs from match days of him using THE EXACT SAME GESTURE on the pitch, shouting to his defence.

https://mobile.twitter.com/gg_rufc/status/1113860027847184385/photo/1

The reality is that the FA gave him the benefit of the doubt that he wad calling and it was just an awkward moment caught on picture (fair decision), but then made it a story by detailing the second half of his defence that he didn't know what a nazi salute was
Interesting that. Sunday supplement were trying to make the point that if you want to make your voice carry, most people put their hand by the side of their face....but seems there's evidence Hennessey has his own method....but in any case it was a bad joke at a urine-up at worst.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2019, 07:36:38 AM »
Interesting that. Sunday supplement were trying to make the point that if you want to make your voice carry, most people put their hand by the side of their face....but seems there's evidence Hennessey has his own method....but in any case it was a bad joke at a urine-up at worst.

Summed it up really, he would have got a lot more credit for just saying that.
MAGA!

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2019, 12:42:05 PM »
I wouldn't use the words thick and vacuous but you may not be a million miles away. A section of the youngish generation (but certainly not all) are so absorbed in the celebrity culture that real events or real news let alone history are totally off their radar. As for the Schindlers List, Dad's Army and Allo Allo mentioned above, Hennessey is too young to have been watching those at the time and unlikely to have caught up with them since. I think he was 'trying to be funny' giving his teammate the salute, we can only imagine what dressing room humour is like especially at a Christmas 'urine up'. I think it's a learn your lesson and move on case.

Sorry, but I'm not having that. I'm just two years older than he is, and I've seen all of them.

You don't even have to go back that far - just watch the first Captain America movie!