Author Topic: Promotion race 2018/2019  (Read 32583 times)

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Promotion race 2018/2019
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2019, 06:05:21 PM »
i will have a glass of what hes drinking

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/977601652?-11200:789

Like how the headline writer couldn't even believe what he said and just puts it down to us being in the play-offs.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2019, 07:15:38 PM »
If we don't get automatic, what's the chances of wba v av in play offs?
Oh my gawd!

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2019, 07:27:25 PM »
Oh my gawd!
I have conflicting thoughts about this prospect. Beating that lot at Wembley would take some beating, but to lose to them at Wembley would finish me off!

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2019, 10:01:15 PM »
Oh my gawd!
My heart wouldn’t be able to take it.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2019, 08:05:44 AM »
Oh my gawd!

The odds of meeting Villa in the semis are quite long. The semis are 3rd v 6th and 4th v 5th. Villa are far from guaranteed to make it at all and the most likely spot they will get if they do is 6th and are extremely unlikely to make 3rd. At this point it looks unlikely we will make 3rd but are most likely to make 4th or 5th. If both of us make the play-offs then it is a 25% chance we both make the final.

Has there ever been a local derby as a play-off final?
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

silver surfer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2019, 09:12:24 AM »
The odds of meeting Villa in the semis are quite long. The semis are 3rd v 6th and 4th v 5th. Villa are far from guaranteed to make it at all and the most likely spot they will get if they do is 6th and are extremely unlikely to make 3rd. At this point it looks unlikely we will make 3rd but are most likely to make 4th or 5th. If both of us make the play-offs then it is a 25% chance we both make the final.

Has there ever been a local derby as a play-off final?

Depends what you class as local I guess,
Leicester v Derby 94
Bolton v Preston 01
Palace v West Ham 04

I have conflicting thoughts about this prospect. Beating that lot at Wembley would take some beating, but to lose to them at Wembley would finish me off!
My preferred option would be to beat them over 2 legs and then beat Boro at Wembley in the same way we beat Port Vale after losing to them home and away in the league in 93.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2019, 10:57:00 AM »
I really wish people would stop writing off the Vile's chances of making the play offs, it's tempting fate.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2019, 11:05:11 AM »
I really wish people would stop writing off the Vile's chances of making the play offs, it's tempting fate.

Too right.

I was listening to live commentary of the vile at forest before switching off when our game was about to start and then was very issed off when putting back wm after the game to learn they'd won again.

I just Frank lampard's Derby sort their act out as I think only sixth position is up for grabs.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2019, 11:30:07 AM »
We should be making sacrifice to the footballing gods tonight hoping that Sheffield Utd and Leeds share the points tomorrow, and that Rotherham are scrapping at the bottom manage to take something off Narwich
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2019, 11:35:54 AM »
We should be making sacrifice to the footballing gods tonight hoping that Sheffield Utd and Leeds share the points tomorrow, and that Rotherham are scrapping at the bottom manage to take something off Narwich

I'll sacrifice a chicken in their honour, off to boil an egg now  ;) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2019, 08:01:40 PM »
Our aim must remain 91 points...  8)
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2019, 08:17:41 AM »
So if my maths is any good, if we beat the Blues we will be 4 points off second, though we will have played a game more.  Automatic might not be over yet?

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2019, 08:41:28 AM »
Only way we get autos is if we win every game. Even then 91 points may not be enough.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2019, 08:48:40 AM »
Only way we get autos is if we win every game. Even then 91 points may not be enough.
Not far off that yes, but Leeds and Sheff U both have some quite tricky games to come so I'm not giving up yet

garry

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2019, 09:27:36 AM »
The play-offs are starting to look pretty tasty.
As it stands this morning we would play Middlesbrough.
If we beat them we would go to Wembley to play the winners of Villa v  Leeds.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2019, 09:29:28 AM »
Not far off that yes, but Leeds and Sheff U both have some quite tricky games to come so I'm not giving up yet

Leeds have some tricky games but Sheffield Utd have an easy run in.

Their fixtures are :

Bristol City (h),
Preston (a)
Birmingham (a)
Millwall (h)
Nott'm F (h)
Hull (a)
Ipswich (h)
Stoke (a)

The only tough one there is probably Preston all the others are easy enough wins for them.

With Norwich having a similar easy run in , I think its the play offs  for us.

The danger of the play offs is Villa are the form team and i would rather not be in the play offs than lose to them.

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #91 on: March 17, 2019, 10:03:27 AM »
The play-offs are starting to look pretty tasty.
As it stands this morning we would play Middlesbrough.
If we beat them we would go to Wembley to play the winners of Villa v  Leeds.
As you say, currently the dinosaur's lot are in the frame, but given form lines that will probably change.
I still see Bristol having a good play-off chance.

alwaysbilly

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #92 on: March 17, 2019, 10:43:07 AM »
As you say, currently the dinosaur's lot are in the frame, but given form lines that will probably change.
I still see Bristol having a good play-off chance.
Lots of twists yet - since when has the championship been easy to predict.

Three wins in a row and things look good - so often though it swings and two defeats change things.
Villa and Preston are on a great run - Bristol boro and derby have been poor, things may swing. Blues were looking ok before losing four on the bounce.

Even if we win the next two and close the gap, Leeds could then go on a winning run and end our chances.

A scenario I wouldn’t want is we run close to automatic and lose out at derby on the last day, go into the play offs on a downer and lose in them, to either Pulis or vile

Football !?!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #93 on: March 17, 2019, 11:16:14 AM »
I think our one hope of catching Sheffield United is that the pressure starts to tell. Up until now the expectation hasn't been that they should go up and just being in the play-off's was good anything else was gravy. Now looking down the run in the expectations mount probably for the first time this season.

All we can do is keep on picking up wins and hope. My feeling is that Norwich will go on from here to win the League second place will be less than 90 points but not much 88/89 and that could as easily be Leeds as Sheffield United (that's a working definition of too close to call).

The play-off places are looking a bit more interesting than they were a few weeks ago. One thing that you need to keep in mind is that both Bristol City and Derby have games in hand and those are not scheduled to be played to the very last week of the season.

'Boro are on the slide which might open up 5th spot and Villa and Preston are hitting some form. Overall I think 72 points will be good enough to get 6th and everyone down to Swansea in 15th have a chance of hitting that number. Given that it would be a massive disappointment now if we failed to make the play-off's.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #94 on: March 17, 2019, 11:27:14 AM »
It hasn't occurred to me all season that we might miss out on the play off's and it still doesn't. At the start of the season I predicted us to finish top six and it looks likely that for once I will be proved right. We have a handy cushion but that doesn't mean we should take anything for granted, things can change very quickly in football and at this stage of the season teams down the bottom start to scrap and pressure tells on some teams, no game is easy. That said we have experience in our squad and that should hold us in good stead on the run in.

The last two fixtures were massive with regard to our play off aim. Imagine if we'd lost both games or picked up only one point - but we didn't we won six points out of six and we really should pick up enough points to finish top six. If we don't it will go down as a disaster.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #95 on: March 17, 2019, 12:15:10 PM »
We aren't going to overturn both Sheff Utd and Leeds.

If we had the same 7 points gap going into the final 5-6 weeks of the season but were sat in third place, there might be the outside chance that one of the top 2 might go through a blip and the pressure mounts. With 2 clubs there though, I can't see it. It is just too unlikley.

Our best hope is that the auto promotion race proves to emotionally draining to come back from for the eventual third place team.

Play offs are where we need to focus now. We need to prepare for them and find which system will work best. Experiment where needed.

I'm crossing my fingers that Boro drop out as they are such a bogey side, but the alternatives aren't great. This rejuvenated Villa side, with genuine premier league options in the side like Abraham, Grealish & McGinn are not just besting teams at the moment, but actually taking them apart. I hope it's only a hot streak, but with the players available to them and Smith's record as a manager thus far, they have to be a concern now.

If we couldnoverhaul the third place team in the final weeks of the season it would give us the psycological boost we really need.
Boing Boing

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #96 on: March 17, 2019, 01:19:18 PM »
 winning football matches is the only drug we need,don't care how really,we all know what points make don't we?

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2019, 04:10:56 PM »
Leeds have some tricky games but Sheffield Utd have an easy run in.

Their fixtures are :

Bristol City (h),
Preston (a)
Birmingham (a)
Millwall (h)
Nott'm F (h)
Hull (a)
Ipswich (h)
Stoke (a)

The only tough one there is probably Preston all the others are easy enough wins for them.

With Norwich having a similar easy run in , I think its the play offs  for us.

The danger of the play offs is Villa are the form team and i would rather not be in the play offs than lose to them.
The homes games look easy enough, the aways less so maybe.  Anyways, I hope we can keep in it for a few more weeks yet, just for the hell of it really.

smethwick2

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2019, 12:09:34 PM »

Not that I think we will win every game but the chances of not getting automatic promotion on 91 points would be a first

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2019, 01:08:49 PM »
Our current points / games ratio would put us finishing on 81 points.
To get to 91 needs us to finish the season at 100%, which isn't happening

I reckon we might get to @85 which would only be any good if SUFC only got 10 points from the 24 available to them.

We're done in short, we need to get the shrinks in and start gearing the players up for the pressure pot which is the play offs.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!