Author Topic: 14 May 2019 Albion 1 Aston Villa 0 (Play Off 2nd Leg)  (Read 111427 times)

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #575 on: May 14, 2019, 11:20:15 PM »
4 defenders taking penalties say no more.
Who the fec picked that line up.
4 defenders who were absolutely knackered take the penalties FFS what is going on????? Don't blame Brunt,he was absolutely shattered and just put a tired leg out. Substitutions should have come thick and fast....NOT AT THE END FFS.

GET A REAL manager in who can sort this mess out!!!!!

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #576 on: May 14, 2019, 11:20:24 PM »
agree about the officials at seal park but they haven't screwed us, that honour goes to the incompetence shown by our board.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #577 on: May 14, 2019, 11:25:08 PM »
Did i forget to write sack the board

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #578 on: May 14, 2019, 11:26:33 PM »
Team selection cost us tonight Brunt is not a central midfielder and the stupid insistence on playing him in there has cost the club over a 100 million. Shan is a poor version of Pulis.

Albion88

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #579 on: May 14, 2019, 11:26:38 PM »
So proud of the players for getting to pens after Brunt cost us SO dearly once again and truly gave there all to it. At least 2 years too long that bloke has been allowed to stay at this club, I absolutely relish the day he leaves.

Add a Harvey Barnes of Dwight Gayle in that line-up tonight and we'd have taken it. But frankly I'm glad we didn't take progress because nobody in that hierarchy deserved the 'get out of jail free' card after the way we have been ran these last 2/3 years.   

Don't recognise this board, don't recognise the management, don't recognise the team. Never been more disconnected and disenfranchised by my beloved albion.

I want my club back

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #580 on: May 14, 2019, 11:27:01 PM »
Gutted we have lost.  Brunt obviously at fault but, on his defence,  he's forced into a rash challenge by Hegazi giving the ball away on the edge of the box. We would have won that game tonight with Gayle on there.

Even with a rookie manager and a feather light squad we nearly made it.  The players gave it their all but our squad came up short.  4 defenders taking pens, not enough forwards,  having to bring on Morisson to do nothing.  I fear for next season.  Sign gayle, get a new manager and start the rebuild.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #581 on: May 14, 2019, 11:28:23 PM »
4 defenders who were absolutely knackered take the penalties FFS what is going on????? Don't blame Brunt,he was absolutely shattered and just put a tired leg out. Substitutions should have come thick and fast....NOT AT THE END FFS.

GET A REAL manager in who can sort this mess out!!!!!
we needed 4x Igor Balis.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #582 on: May 14, 2019, 11:29:47 PM »
Great credit to Shan , you've done the best you can .
Overall when all said and done you have to look at the top , Moore was sacked late Feb I think .
Its now May and we still have a rookie in charge , hang your heads in shame Lai , Jenkins and Dowling .
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #583 on: May 14, 2019, 11:30:36 PM »
All i can say is think what we could have done had we a full squad to pick from.

We can blame Brunt, Gayle or HRK, but ultimately there are many incidents this season that have cost us.

The lads played their hearts out tonight and the fans were superb. We played right to the very last kick.

Gutted we didn't win, but ultimately, do you honestly think we'd have had a successful season in the PL with this squad?

Well done to JS for his efforts.

Anyway. We beat Villa, which is all we asked for.

Boing boing x

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #584 on: May 14, 2019, 11:31:23 PM »
Funnily enough I am not that bothered, which is weird because usually I would be.

Tonight I am glowing with pride, it was the best atmosphere I can remember, the players all did their best and it just wasn't to be.
Tonight showed me why I love the Albion whereas the Villa fans were quiet for 100+ minutes only to explode when they won.

I think next season will be much harder but it won't stop me loving West Brom.

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #585 on: May 14, 2019, 11:34:12 PM »
Can all the negativity and moaning go on a separate thread please, maybe a post season thread, this after match debate deserves a little bit of pride in a brave performance from the team, and magnificent support from the fans. Felt we gave an average Villa team a little more respect than they deserved too.

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #586 on: May 14, 2019, 11:34:26 PM »
Brunt was rash but I personally would blame Hegazi more for diddling on the ball too long in a dangerous situation. Never felt like we win since Gayle sending off.

Delighted to win in normal time but down to ten felt we best had to hold out for penalties. Possibly six of our first choice penalty takers werent involved and Villa could bring on a late sub to add to theirs.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #587 on: May 14, 2019, 11:36:19 PM »
I can't ever remember a time when I've been more proud of our team. My god. Everything went against us over the two legs and to force extra time given everything that happened to us was a near miracle, an unbelievably gutsy effort.

Villa weren't going to score tonight whatever happened, we were a brick wall of a team foe once.

To get as far as we did and lose on penalties is just damn cruel. As always happens though in a huge match between us and the scum they always win through one way or another.

Just think, if the ref had done his job properly in the first leg and given us a penalty for Abraham's barge on Holgate we'd almost certainly have won the tie.

I hope whoever they get at Wembley turns them over.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #588 on: May 14, 2019, 11:41:48 PM »
Back in the car. Gutted but proud of all the lads. Brunt was sold out by Morrison and Hegazi and had to challenge McGinn. The ultra negative approach from our trio of coaches and the substitutions cost us any chance of winning outside of a penalty shoot out, while we are rightly proud of their resilience there is more than one way to skin a cat. You could argue we ended the game with 5 centre halves on a pitch of 9 outfield players, imagine if Pulis had done this.

Shout out for Johnstone who was imperious during the match.

Used up all his penalty luck in the first 8 games. Didn't look like saving any of the half dozen taken in this tie.

The weakness of our attacking and midfield options from the squad players beggars belief and Dowling and Jenkins should be first out the door.

Is Shan unlucky or is he a bad manager? Tosin on the bench Saturday and Field tonight makes all the difference after the red cards.

We would have had nothing left for Wembley anyway imo. Feel for you lads who see these as your biggest rivals.

Onto next season. Hopefully the big decisions needed in the summer come off.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

wbadazza

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #589 on: May 14, 2019, 11:42:19 PM »
A lot of knee jerk reaction on here which is understandable...bad mistake by Brunt yes but he'd pulled the strings up to the sending off. .Villa were never in the game up to that point...we played really well tonight and should have taken our chances....I for one an extremely proud how we beat a good Villa side tonight and if we kept 11 on the pitch would have more than likely been through. Even at 10 men they couldn't score but with 11 we were by far the better team.
cut me in half you'll find blue and white stripes

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #590 on: May 14, 2019, 11:44:15 PM »
Most those who started did us proud. I say most because Murphy is awful, and I need to see the brunt red again to judge if it was forgivable.

I’m not sure even with Brunt we would of won before penalties, towards the end of the second half the players were beginning to struggle, as they’d put so much in and I think they had rose to what was the best atmosphere from the Albion in a long time.

As good as the first 11 were, two of the subs were awful. Harper doesnt care and doesn’t want to get injured prior to his big move and for anyone still asking why Leko doesn’t get a chance, that’s why.

I can only assume field and Edwards are injured as when we needed legs and effort they surely would have given more.

It’s devastating we couldn’t get the second we deserved in normal time, prior to the red

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #591 on: May 14, 2019, 11:45:07 PM »
Unforgivable from Brunt. Honestly it's time to move on from him anyway but to do that today is so so irresponsible and should be the final nail for him.

Much bigger problems would still be there even if we had come through tonight, but the game was there for the taking and he basically ruined any chance of winning pre-pens (and probably would have improved our odds for pens too).

Not at all - had to mop up a rare Hegazi brain fart and paid the price.

I thought both were really good tonight, Hegazi's anticipation and reading of the game is excellent. Really proud of them tonight and we need to remember that we won against the vile...

In reality though, when you think about it, are we really in a position to go up? I don't think so.

Jenkins and Co can own this failure. If Mr Lai is as ruthless as other Chinese business owners, there will be a p45 waiting for them soon. We can only hope.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 11:46:43 PM by skyclad99 »
MAGA!

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #592 on: May 14, 2019, 11:47:06 PM »
Gutted we have lost.  Brunt obviously at fault but, on his defence,  he's forced into a rash challenge by Hegazi giving the ball away on the edge of the box. We would have won that game tonight with Gayle on there.

Even with a rookie manager and a feather light squad we nearly made it.  The players gave it their all but our squad came up short.  4 defenders taking pens, not enough forwards,  having to bring on Morisson to do nothing.  I fear for next season.  Sign gayle, get a new manager and start the rebuild.
Why oh why do we allow teams tlo come that close to our area?
The past three seasons should have shown us to play higher up the pitch and defend by the centre circle.
Bad management and coaching !

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #593 on: May 14, 2019, 11:48:22 PM »
Absolutely gutted.

Huge credit to all the fans today. Haven’t seen an atmosphere like that for years.

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #594 on: May 14, 2019, 11:51:39 PM »
Can all the negativity and moaning go on a separate thread please, maybe a post season thread, this after match debate deserves a little bit of pride in a brave performance from the team, and magnificent support from the fans. Felt we gave an average Villa team a little more respect than they deserved too.
So true, sick of the negativity and finger pointing. We gave it all and I’d like to focus on that not a scapegoat!

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #595 on: May 14, 2019, 11:52:46 PM »
Why oh why do we allow teams tlo come that close to our area?
The past three seasons should have shown us to play higher up the pitch and defend by the centre circle.
Bad management and coaching !

With who DB? Once Phillips and Rodriguez were taken off injured/tired, and we withdrew Murphy, there were no targets up front to hold and press. Tosin came on and played in front of the back 4, and we went to park the bus defending to get to penalties. Flet sorry for Leko as he was given an impossible task.

Just explain to me how we can do with what you are suggesting with what we had on the pitch.?
MAGA!

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #596 on: May 14, 2019, 11:54:34 PM »
Proud of the lads tonight, regained some credibility after the weekend.

Not going to slate Brunt as Hegazi sold him out tonight but stupid freekicks conceded in dangerous places is the main reason I do not want him in the centre of that pitch, tonight he was reckless and a bit too fired up from the start, you want experienced players to be calm.

To loose Robson-Kanu at Derby, Gayle at the weekend and the Rodriguez tonight leaving us with Leko shows the lack of depth in this squad, thats on Jenkins, Dowling and Lai.

The fact that we have had Shan in charge in an important period of the season is again on the 3 of them, nothing against Shan, he's done a good job but should never have been in the job.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #597 on: May 14, 2019, 11:55:57 PM »
Watch both Brunt yellow card back on TV, both ludicrous challenges. It wasn’t a case of hanging a leg out. He threw himself into the Villa player, both as clear cut yellows as you will find. The first one was particularly stupid. The Villa player was on the half way line, no need whatsoever to fly into him. The second one was a desperate lunge. Exactly the sort of challenge that no player on a yellow can afford to make. Only has himself to blame. One of his better games as well, although his shooting is still awful. Three efforts off target.

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #598 on: May 14, 2019, 11:58:07 PM »
Back in the car. Gutted but proud of all the lads. Brunt was sold out by Morrison and Hegazi and had to challenge McGinn. The ultra negative approach from our trio of coaches and the substitutions cost us any chance of winning outside of a penalty shoot out, while we are rightly proud of their resilience there is more than one way to skin a cat. You could argue we ended the game with 5 centre halves on a pitch of 9 outfield players, imagine if Pulis had done this.

Shout out for Johnstone who was imperious during the match.

Used up all his penalty luck in the first 8 games. Didn't look like saving any of the half dozen taken in this tie.

The weakness of our attacking and midfield options from the squad players beggars belief and Dowling and Jenkins should be first out the door.

Is Shan unlucky or is he a bad manager? Tosin on the bench Saturday and Field tonight makes all the difference after the red cards.

We would have had nothing left for Wembley anyway imo. Feel for you lads who see these as your biggest rivals.

Onto next season. Hopefully the big decisions needed in the summer come off.

Interesting post and I agree with most of it.

Don't think Brunt was sold out by Mozza, but Hegazi did sell him a kipper tonight - albeit can't blame Hegazi cause he was class otherwise and is a premier league player.

Don't think Shan is unlucky in the sense we've looked very much like we would get a red card throughout the tie.

The bit I massively agree with is we've ended up with over half defenders as outfield players on the pitch and I didn't think we'd win the shootout at any point. Until heart ruled the head and Abraham's pen looked like it might be saved.

Fairs to the fans and like you say we need a massive overhaul. The optimist in me says we have some decent young players, the opportunity to get rid of older (and now ineffectual) players but the pessimist/realist in me says we're not going to do that and try and get by with what we've got.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #599 on: May 15, 2019, 12:00:22 AM »

With who DB? Once Phillips and Rodriguez were taken off injured/tired, and we withdrew Murphy, there were no targets up front to hold and press. Tosin came on and played in front of the back 4, and we went to park the bus defending to get to penalties. Flet sorry for Leko as he was given an impossible task.

Just explain to me how we can do with what you are suggesting with what we had on the pitch.?
As you say, but way before that (I am on about the past 3 seasons) we just kept retreating and giving away the ground to those who want to win games.
We can only score if we are in their half, and more than likely stop them scoring too.
Stop being the "cowardly lion" side and go for the jugular.