Author Topic: Anyone else frustrated?  (Read 275051 times)

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

Anyone else frustrated?
« on: July 08, 2016, 06:04:19 PM »
Once again we seem to be very, very slow on the transfer front. This season we are seeing Championship clubs easily outspend us, easily outbidding us.

I see players like Ibe to Bournemouth, Ritchie to Newcastle, Subotic to Boro, Palace bidding £32m for a player, Townsend to Palace etc. Yet we are again moving very slowly despite the urgent need for players.

I'm seriously worried about the season ahead and were only in July!

Bigrob80

• Junior Baggie

Re: Anyone else frustrated?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 06:08:46 PM »
I see what your saying, and feel the same pain! I think though as the euros are now pretty much finished we will see an increase in activity from all clubs! Don't seem to be that many of them spending just yet but the few that have are spending big!
Think we need to wait a couple of weeks before we start to freak out to be fair!
Here's hoping 👍🏻👍🏻

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 06:09:48 PM »
If there's one thing you can be sure about the Albion is that we never do things the easy way. We've brought in Phillips who I am actually sort of excited about. I'm hoping when the window shuts Hammond won't have left us in a bad position
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 06:15:06 PM »
We STILL have the Saido saga hanging over us - will he stay or will he go - affects where we need to spend money and how much is in the pot.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 06:17:17 PM »
No, but I've never been overly concerned. I've seen enough to know throwing money at your problems usually relegates atleast one of the teams (QPR, Newcastle, Norwich to a relative degree the last two times) and usually won't help progress many of the others over what we do.

Bigrob80

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 06:17:52 PM »
Apparently we offered him a new contract so might find out soon! Maybe he knows if something is going on in the background and might stay? It's all questions and no answers at the moment!

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 06:30:21 PM »
Transfer spending is never indicative of how a team will do - Newcastle and Villa spent over £50m each last summer - both went down without a whimper. Palace spent a club record on Cabaye last summer and he scored 2 goals that weren't penalties last season.

As you said in your original post, it's July. Plenty time.

RedHead_Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 06:45:27 PM »
Once again we seem to be very, very slow on the transfer front. This season we are seeing Championship clubs easily outspend us, easily outbidding us.

I see players like Ibe to Bournemouth, Ritchie to Newcastle, Subotic to Boro, Palace bidding £32m for a player, Townsend to Palace etc. Yet we are again moving very slowly despite the urgent need for players.

Given the amount that needs doing we can't really afford to go along at the pace we are. I'd say the squad needs more surgery than anyone else in the league for incoming and outgoing players.

It is what it is though, it's Albion and it's the same process every year, don't really get bothered too much any more.

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 07:11:48 PM »
Not at all frustrated, no. We've signed a decent player in Phillips, got three very promising kids on pro contracts and retained Morrison. That's enough for me at this point, I don't need to see us bidding ridiculous amounts for players to make me feel better.
Allllllll aboard

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 07:21:33 PM »
If we have only signed Phillips before the season starts yes.but not at present. I hope that any potential sale of Berahino is not going to slow things down like it did last season.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 07:22:47 PM »
I'm not getting involved in this.  :P

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 07:37:31 PM »
As much as I like to keep up to date with the latest news, I can honestly say I don't give a toss any more. The last few years have completely destroyed my enthusiasm. :(
No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no shots on target.......

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 07:59:28 PM »

Not remotely frustrated, or concerned... If Hammond does his job, we need to go into next season and start seeing better performances to go with the results. If he does a poor job, I'm confident we'll bludgeon our way to 40 points again by April, it just won't be any prettier than last season.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 08:20:29 PM »
We shouldn't expect or want mass signings anyway.
Suspect we'll end up with 3 - 5 more in before the end of the window.
We still have Saido, Lambert, Poco and Gamboa around and a lot will depend on what happens to them.

Where we stand at the moment, we've lost Sess (replaced with Phillips) and Anichebe.

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 08:34:56 PM »
Maybe I've misled with my post. It's not quantity I want, it's quality,

The players above all could easily improve our side yet we chased none of them.

BAGGIE5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2016, 08:42:20 PM »
I personally just wait for a shock these days. It wouldn't be so bad but the squad needs more than a top up.

I think there's more than one person out there who thinks we're running slow. What makes it worse is the fact you feel there's players joining other clubs which would improve us and makes better. Ibe, townsend, richtie.

Can we really not compete no more with thes clubs?

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 08:44:24 PM »
You are aware that we will be leaving some things late to get the best penny pinching deals, aren't you? You should be accustomed to our ways by now :)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2016, 08:50:08 PM »
Maybe I've misled with my post. It's not quantity I want, it's quality,

The players above all could easily improve our side yet we chased none of them.

If Ibe played for us and not Liverpool he'd be valued similar to Callum McManaman.

Ritchie in and out of Bournemouth team and happy to drop a division.

Not the sort of deals we should be doing.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2016, 08:51:24 PM »
You are aware that we will be leaving some things late to get the best penny pinching deals, aren't you? You should be accustomed to our ways by now :)
that policy worked well with Anichibe  :'(

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2016, 08:56:29 PM »
If Ibe played for us and not Liverpool he'd be valued similar to Callum McManaman.

Ritchie in and out of Bournemouth team and happy to drop a division.

Not the sort of deals we should be doing.

Yep with you 100%. Not worried in the slightest. Think we'll get another marque player this year, probably a goalscoring midfielder. Also can see Saido staying with us.
James Chester must have given Pulis something to think about, & if he can get Poco & Gamboa on his wavelength, we won't need too many more
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2016, 09:18:07 PM »
sess turned out fine though, and Rondon wasn't available realistically until late on?

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2016, 09:40:15 PM »

By the way, I wasn't saying I particularly agreed with the strategy, I was just pointing out some of our usual methods and why people shouldn't be too surprised ;)

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2016, 09:58:43 PM »
I'm definitely frustrated as we have one of the oldest squads in division, with a lack of pace throughout first team and we have only one descent striker who's willing to sweat buckets for team.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2016, 09:59:31 PM »

Are you not use to this by now. Its the same every year and ive been following albion for 23 years. Its the way it is and the way it will always be unless we get brought out by a money man. Doesnt even bother me now, its the norm

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2016, 10:09:33 PM »

Bar the Townsend deal none of the above makes me envious.