Author Topic: Why do so many players choose to be mercenaries?  (Read 2466 times)

OllieTheBaggie

• Newcomer

Why do so many players choose to be mercenaries?
« on: July 04, 2018, 05:38:18 PM »
As we've seen another modern footballer in Dawson hand in a transfer request today, there's something I can't understand. As a player, if you go down as a club legend/icon, surely you'll continue to have a more consistent avenue of money into your retirement years through various methods such as autobiographies, talks, appearances, invitations to join coaching staff etc, all of which will be sought after by fans of the club. Not only that but the feeling of being truly valued and loved at a club, feeling at home, showing loyalty and integrity, playing for the badge etc, on top of the aforementioned long-term advantages makes it really not that bad an alternative when compared to jumping ship for an extra >30k a week.

Imagine if Steven Gerrard left Liverpool when he was in his 20s, or Henry joined Liverpool for an extra 20k a week in his prime. Would they still be loved by the fans of their original clubs in the same way? Would their fans still clamour for their merchandise/autobiographies after retirement? Would they be welcomed into a coaching/club role with open arms? Would they still be given contracts into their later years out of respect/leadership? I doubt it.

Maybe it's just me but I think if you've spent a long time at a club, jumping ship for an extra bit of cash when you're already a multi-millionaire is plain stupid. Can anyone shed some light on why so many players are reluctant to stick with one club in modern football?

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Why do so many players choose to be mercenaries?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 07:20:26 PM »
At the end of the day, Dawson is a complete nobody compared to a Gerrard or a Henry. He was hardly ever going to go down as a club legend when we've had 4 better centre backs in the past 10 years alone. They have no affinity to the club, nor should they, it wasn't long ago that Dawson couldn't get into the team and we were thinking about shipping him out.

If I was on £45k at Burnley and I knew I could get £50k at Leicester I'd do exactly the same thing, I couldn't care less about either club or their fanbases. Dawson is probably on about £25k here after the flex down, he'd get £40k at Burnley so it's a no brainer. It would only be a difficult decision for someone who supports Albion.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 07:40:46 PM »
The thought of having lots of money does funny things to some people
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 09:24:35 PM »
Someone like Burnley can offer Dawson perhaps his one chance at playing European football. That in itself offers things that money can't buy, or legendary/iconic status can offer too.

There are many things which can turn players heads. Not just the money.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 09:50:39 PM »
As we've seen another modern footballer in Dawson hand in a transfer request today, there's something I can't understand. As a player, if you go down as a club legend/icon, surely you'll continue to have a more consistent avenue of money into your retirement years through various methods such as autobiographies, talks, appearances, invitations to join coaching staff etc, all of which will be sought after by fans of the club. Not only that but the feeling of being truly valued and loved at a club, feeling at home, showing loyalty and integrity, playing for the badge etc, on top of the aforementioned long-term advantages makes it really not that bad an alternative when compared to jumping ship for an extra >30k a week.

Imagine if Steven Gerrard left Liverpool when he was in his 20s, or Henry joined Liverpool for an extra 20k a week in his prime. Would they still be loved by the fans of their original clubs in the same way? Would their fans still clamour for their merchandise/autobiographies after retirement? Would they be welcomed into a coaching/club role with open arms? Would they still be given contracts into their later years out of respect/leadership? I doubt it.

Maybe it's just me but I think if you've spent a long time at a club, jumping ship for an extra bit of cash when you're already a multi-millionaire is plain stupid. Can anyone shed some light on why so many players are reluctant to stick with one club in modern football?
A bit like people that say "if I win the lottery it won't change me"
They then buy a huge house and sportscars
Btw Steve Gerard did try to move.....but ...erm .....thought better of it
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 08:13:14 AM »
A bit like people that say "if I win the lottery it won't change me"
They then buy a huge house and sportscars
Btw Steve Gerard did try to move.....but ...erm .....thought better of it

Yes, to Chelsea but had death threats I seem to recall being sited at the time for him staying put.

Now there’s a strategy  :D ;D  :D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 09:52:29 AM »
I don't have an issue with players wanting a better deal etc, given their limited work life.

The real 'mercenaries' for me are the agents who seem to demand unrealistic sums of money and hold clubs to ransom to secure deals. I read somewhere that Neymars agent got £25m for his move to PSG, and now 'he' wants to move again......... 
MAGA!

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 12:52:24 AM »
I have no issue with someone wanting to better themselves but there are ways to go about it, these blokes are not playing in League 1/2 (yet) and are richly rewarded for what they do, they sign contracts for a certain period of time and are happy to do so at the time even though we all know that sometimes that new deal is done to make sure the clubs get a bigger fee when the player goes.

I have an issue with how the spoilt darlings go about it when they want a move, agents are to blame as well but the buck stops with the players. The days of loyalty are well gone but decency and honesty are not far behind with some. Absolute bedwetters some of them.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 07:41:38 AM »
this is why Cricket for me is now more important
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 06:30:50 AM »
I have no issue with someone wanting to better themselves but there are ways to go about it, these blokes are not playing in League 1/2 (yet) and are richly rewarded for what they do, they sign contracts for a certain period of time and are happy to do so at the time even though we all know that sometimes that new deal is done to make sure the clubs get a bigger fee when the player goes.

I have an issue with how the spoilt darlings go about it when they want a move, agents are to blame as well but the buck stops with the players. The days of loyalty are well gone but decency and honesty are not far behind with some. Absolute bedwetters some of them.
Spot on, Oldbury
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride