Author Topic: Ben Foster  (Read 767451 times)

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

Re: Ben Foster
« Reply #3025 on: July 01, 2018, 12:07:34 PM »
Maybe Foster took the hump because we were looking at getting a keeper in as genuine competition instead of Roly Poly Myhill

https://www.101greatgoals.com/news/transfers/ben-foster-watford-man-united-wba/
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3026 on: July 01, 2018, 12:11:40 PM »

In all of this the one player I feel genuinely sorry for is Jay Rodriguez. He has the opportunity to return to his hometown club who are about to play in Europe for the first time in generations. He is still plainly adored at Turf Moor despite leaving 5 years ago (obviously didn't leave under a cloud) and Albion have priced him out of a move. We are right to do so because our need is pressing and the money is worse than useless in the Championship. He is in Portugal he is working hard regardless of that disappointment so should Foster and Dawson.

I was thinking that just the other day about Rodriguez. What a fantastic attitude he has. Foster and Dawson should be embarrassed to look Jay in the eye. 

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3027 on: July 01, 2018, 12:29:16 PM »
After possibly having potential ITK information twice in the last month (still dont know if its true!) i got told something today regarding Foster from a different person. (30 plus years going the Albion, always last to know anything, now in a month people start telling me stuff!)

A bloke i train with has quite a high powered job and a couple of weeks ago he was attending a function which Foster was one of the star guests, apparently the day before Foster pulled out for personal reasons which is unlike him as he has been attending this same event for years.

This was about a week or 10 days before preseason began so before any of the stuff about Foster kicked off and it was the first time i had seen this bloke for a few weeks for him to say anything.

Anyways, people were surprised Foster wasnt there and somebody who is supposedly close to him said he has major family problems at the moment (dont know what they are or again if its even true) but Foster had made it clear he wasnt going to Portugal and was happy to take the hit in a fine, obviously family is more important than anything so it is a delicate subject.

If that is the case you would hope the club have been helpful and maybe the stuff about him not turning up, being fined, etc has been exaggerated. Of course it could be he just isnt happy about comings and goings and wants more money.

Time will tell i suppose and like i say the above could all be nonsense (not the bit about Foster not attending the event, thats true!) but i thought at the time, its weird two players adopting that stance of not travelling, etc but again on the flipside maybe they had a pact that to make their point two is better than one.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 12:32:01 PM by Albion79 »

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3028 on: July 01, 2018, 01:07:27 PM »
After possibly having potential ITK information twice in the last month (still dont know if its true!) i got told something today regarding Foster from a different person. (30 plus years going the Albion, always last to know anything, now in a month people start telling me stuff!)

A bloke i train with has quite a high powered job and a couple of weeks ago he was attending a function which Foster was one of the star guests, apparently the day before Foster pulled out for personal reasons which is unlike him as he has been attending this same event for years.

This was about a week or 10 days before preseason began so before any of the stuff about Foster kicked off and it was the first time i had seen this bloke for a few weeks for him to say anything.

Anyways, people were surprised Foster wasnt there and somebody who is supposedly close to him said he has major family problems at the moment (dont know what they are or again if its even true) but Foster had made it clear he wasnt going to Portugal and was happy to take the hit in a fine, obviously family is more important than anything so it is a delicate subject.

If that is the case you would hope the club have been helpful and maybe the stuff about him not turning up, being fined, etc has been exaggerated. Of course it could be he just isnt happy about comings and goings and wants more money.

Time will tell i suppose and like i say the above could all be nonsense (not the bit about Foster not attending the event, thats true!) but i thought at the time, its weird two players adopting that stance of not travelling, etc but again on the flipside maybe they had a pact that to make their point two is better than one.

If what you have been told is true then I hope the club are supporting Foster. Although they don’t need to come out to the public, they could show a bit of support for him if this is true.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3029 on: July 01, 2018, 01:12:08 PM »
I would be very surprised if the club didn't cut Foster some slack if there were personal issues behind him not wishing to travel given that there a number of players involved with their respective national teams had an extra week off.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Mooncat

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3030 on: July 01, 2018, 01:16:07 PM »
Although if this was the case, could the club not have made a statement to the effect that he was being given extended leave in live with the international players and therefor not fined him???

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3031 on: July 01, 2018, 01:21:10 PM »
If that was the case all the club had to say that Foster was not at the training camp for personal issues.
If it was the case the he had personal issues I would have thought he would have kept away from the club and training altogether.
I'm starting to wonder what came out of the one to one's the players had with DM
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

RedHead_Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3032 on: July 01, 2018, 01:26:02 PM »
I'd like to think most people know Ben's character over his 7 years here , the majority should latch on something isn't right at the club before jumping on Foster.
If stories regarding Foster throwing his toys out the pram at the club releasing McAuley and Yacob then maybe the senior pros are a massive part of the problem?

It's none of their business who we sign, who we release or who we appoint as Coach.

They have had it too easy for too long.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3033 on: July 01, 2018, 01:35:00 PM »
I would imagine anything regarding discipline, fines, etc would come out this week as i dont think they get back from Portugal til today do they?

Obviously Dawson and Foster havent gone for whatever reasons but its only the media who have mentioned fines so far.

mank baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3034 on: July 01, 2018, 01:56:13 PM »
Thanks 79 this sounds more like foster , family comes 1st and rightly so.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3035 on: July 01, 2018, 02:07:51 PM »
No idea if its 100% true mate, might be complete rubbish!

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3036 on: July 01, 2018, 02:26:56 PM »
I find it very strange that just a month ago he went out of his way to say he was happy at the club, settled in the area etc. I think we need to hear Foster's side of the story before jumping to conclusions. Foster is one of the few leaders on the pitch and he's a cornerstone of the team. We are not going to find a better keeper. Hope this gets sorted out amicably.   
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3037 on: July 02, 2018, 10:21:53 AM »
“West Bromwich Albion prepare new Ben Foster contract as Watford interest persists”

I wouldn’t be unhappy if he signed a new contract with us

Source: http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/16326799.reports-west-bromwich-albion-prepare-new-ben-foster-contract-as-watford-interest-persists/

赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3038 on: July 02, 2018, 10:26:34 AM »
“West Bromwich Albion prepare new Ben Foster contract as Watford interest persists”

Source: http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/16326799.reports-west-bromwich-albion-prepare-new-ben-foster-contract-as-watford-interest-persists/

Wouldn't be suprised if he signed it in all honesty. He'll realise that the deal he's got here in terms of training is as good as its going to get given his age and the fact only half of his knees work.

There's some rumours doing the rounds that he and Dawson missed the Portugal trip for family reasons... there will be a lot of egg on face if that's true.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3039 on: July 02, 2018, 10:33:00 AM »
Wouldn't be suprised if he signed it in all honesty. He'll realise that the deal he's got here in terms of training is as good as its going to get given his age and the fact only half of his knees work.

There's some rumours doing the rounds that he and Dawson missed the Portugal trip for family reasons... there will be a lot of egg on face if that's true.

Not really, not with supporters anyway. There have been press reports that the players refused to go to Portugal because they were unhappy with Albion playing hardball on keeping them at the club. Any eggs on faces will be on the faces of those who reported incorrect information.

Of course the club could've clarified everything with a single statement. But Albion being Albion ........................... .

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3040 on: July 02, 2018, 10:41:12 AM »

Not really, not with supporters anyway. There have been press reports that the players refused to go to Portugal because they were unhappy with Albion playing hardball on keeping them at the club. Any eggs on faces will be on the faces of those who reported incorrect information.

Of course the club could've clarified everything with a single statement. But Albion being Albion ........................... .

If the press stories about Foster’s and Dawson’s reasons for not going to Portugal are incorrect, then it just shows how gullible some fans are in not being prepared to wait for the factual account to surface before judging others, thus leaving egg on their faces
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3041 on: July 02, 2018, 10:43:19 AM »
If the press stories about Foster’s and Dawson’s reasons for not going to Portugal are incorrect, then it just shows how gullible some fans are in not being prepared to wait for the factual account to surface before judging others, thus leaving egg on their faces

Pretty much. Either that or the players in question have realised they acted poorly and are now looking for a way to grovel.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3042 on: July 02, 2018, 11:23:12 AM »

Two key points for me from this report;

1. Did Ben refuse to travel?
2. Has he actually been fined?

Until the club confirm these two points I refuse to condemn the player. 
MAGA!

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3043 on: July 02, 2018, 11:44:59 AM »
Gullible fans?
A simple statement from the club clarifying their exact situations would end all speculation,simple.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3044 on: July 02, 2018, 12:07:27 PM »
Why can’t people take responsibility for their own actions, without looking for someone else to blame?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3045 on: July 02, 2018, 12:31:37 PM »
I've always been a big Foster fan,but without some sort of explanation for his refusal to go to Portugal,I'm left disappointed .
I see he was quick enough to contact the leicester goalie on last nights performance, pity he couldn't talk honestly to his own fans.
Poor show.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3046 on: July 02, 2018, 01:33:40 PM »
Why can’t people take responsibility for their own actions, without looking for someone else to blame?
If the local media publishes a pretty toxic story that's not refuted by either the club or the players in question, it's not unreasonable for people to regard the story as being true given the lack of any information to the contrary.

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3047 on: July 02, 2018, 01:45:06 PM »
Yeah I’d have expected a club or player denial story if it was anything other than the story that the press reported.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3048 on: July 02, 2018, 02:12:22 PM »
If the local media publishes a pretty toxic story that's not refuted by either the club or the players in question, it's not unreasonable for people to regard the story as being true given the lack of any information to the contrary.

I’m sure there is substance in what you say as there is no accounting for other people’s logic, but you have to question the judgement in jumping to a conclusion based on someone else’s representation, presumption, perception of a story and the vested interest they have in selling stories.

And yet there is acceptance of the “story” as being gospel without giving the benefit of the doubt to one of the best and most loyal of servants the club has.

Personally, I will not be a reactive and follow the rest of the flock, but will wait until the club and the player, those who are in possession of the full and true facts behind the events, have made public statements.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3049 on: July 02, 2018, 02:24:26 PM »
Telegraph reporting he is close to signing for Watford for 2.5million.