Author Topic: Official: James McClean signs for Stoke  (Read 488940 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Official: James McClean signs for Stoke
« Reply #1600 on: July 09, 2018, 09:06:21 PM »
As I put on twitter, James McClean is a great guy, an absolutely lovely bloke, his charitable donations, and work in his local community attest to this. He's honest in every sense of the word, an honest player and an honest man, he pre-empted this stance with his interview towards the end of the season. As a player he is on the borderline between average and poor. He's gotten by on work rate and pace without any real ability or football brain. While his Derry background is divisive to a fan base that is not largely catholic.

All in all £4 million to £6 million represents a good deal for both Stoke and Albion. I wish him well, he always gave 100 percent in the shirt and never claimed to be anything he wasn't.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

baggieboy74

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1601 on: July 09, 2018, 09:12:26 PM »
Firstly he is a dic#.

He Cost us so many points last year........

Not having Dave blamed for this.  Don't forget this is the same squad that gave us taxi gate.

Absolutely no surprise we got relegated with this bunch of disrespectful idiots.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1602 on: July 09, 2018, 09:21:42 PM »
As I put on twitter, James McClean is a great guy, an absolutely lovely bloke, his charitable donations, and work in his local community attest to this. He's honest in every sense of the word, an honest player and an honest man, he pre-empted this stance with his interview towards the end of the season. As a player he is on the borderline between average and poor. He's gotten by on work rate and pace without any real ability or football brain. While his Derry background is divisive to a fan base that is not largely catholic.

All in all £4 million to £6 million represents a good deal for both Stoke and Albion. I wish him well, he always gave 100 percent in the shirt and never claimed to be anything he wasn't.
Well spoken Jacko, at last a balanced viewpoint. We don't always agree on players, but I'm totally with you on this one. Couldn't have summed it up any better tbh.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1603 on: July 09, 2018, 09:48:19 PM »
Rubbish footballer. Will not miss him in the slightest.

Goodbye
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1604 on: July 09, 2018, 10:13:35 PM »

There are some great articles on McClean and I totally agree with you. Also there's part of me that doesn't blame him for going on strike to push a deal through.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1605 on: July 09, 2018, 10:21:44 PM »
I'm sure he may be a nice bloke but he's unprofessional by not turning in to training and it undermines Moore et al - so I cannot respect him for that.

I wish the FA would put big fines into place when players do this, it's becoming a joke.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1606 on: July 09, 2018, 10:43:29 PM »
There are some great articles on McClean and I totally agree with you. Also there's part of me that doesn't blame him for going on strike to push a deal through.

No, you can see why he would go on strike. After the terms of the contract he signed weren’t meant for him were they? They only apply to the club.

Don’t get me wrong, from what I’ve read of him he is a decent bloke but Christ on a bike he has a contractual commitment. If he didn’t intend to honour it in the event of relegation then he should have been decent enough not to sign it.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1607 on: July 09, 2018, 10:48:59 PM »
No, you can see why he would go on strike. After the terms of the contract he signed weren’t meant for him were they? They only apply to the club.

Don’t get me wrong, from what I’ve read of him he is a decent bloke but Christ on a bike he has a contractual commitment. If he didn’t intend to honour it in the event of relegation then he should have been decent enough not to sign it.

Where are all the posts of this nature about Craig Dawson?

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1608 on: July 09, 2018, 10:53:28 PM »
He's at it again today.

Surprised he hasnt gone to Scotland, he could have got a taxi to Celtic Park and beg for them to show an interest.

Sooner he goes the better. He can run there seeing he is so good at it.

He'd probably try and two foot a lamppost on his way anyway.

He wouldn't be the 1st Albion player to knock on another clubs door offering his services

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1609 on: July 09, 2018, 11:02:59 PM »

You're James McClean...

Unwanted by the vast majority of fans, deemed not good enough and not liked by the terraces. Add to that you've not really played much at all. Now you've got a year left on your contract and another club is firmly interested in you, so you're guaranteeing financial security for that little bit longer.

Factor all that in and this club is willing to pay £4m for your services, not bad given all of the above. Only the club who own you want £6m.

£6m for a player who is 'hated' by some fans, deemed not good enough by the club and has just one year left on his contract. The same player who was signed for £1.5m. Club being greedy in my opinion.

Would love to know who thinks McLean is worth more than £4m.

In my opinion the club are being unprofessional and he's followed suit.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1610 on: July 09, 2018, 11:28:39 PM »
This is the Mcclean thread but any player refusing to train going on strike should never play for the Albion again and I don't care who it may be Foster,Dawson, Berahino or Odemwingie but especially Mcclean.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1611 on: July 09, 2018, 11:30:29 PM »
This is the Mcclean thread but any player refusing to train going on strike should never play for the Albion again and I don't care who it may be Foster,Dawson, Berahino or Odemwingie but especially Mcclean.

Good post but why especially?

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1612 on: July 09, 2018, 11:42:17 PM »

Good post but why especially?
Read my previous posts regarding Mcclean.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1613 on: July 09, 2018, 11:49:21 PM »
Read my previous posts regarding Mcclean.

Why would I trawl back through your posts? It's a double standard just admit it.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1614 on: July 10, 2018, 12:19:58 AM »
You asked I told you want to know look if not don't. I really don't care!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1615 on: July 10, 2018, 12:28:39 AM »
You asked I told you want to know look if not don't. I really don't care!

So you accept McClean should be treated the same as the other players you mentioned. Good to know.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1616 on: July 10, 2018, 03:33:39 AM »

Really? So we now have a culture where if you don't get your own way and act like a spoilt child we stand back and admire? James McLean is a West Brom player the last time I checked. I guess the best way to endear yourself to the club and to get the move you want and show your a person of character is to not show up for work...Laughable.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1617 on: July 10, 2018, 05:13:07 AM »

Where are all the posts of this nature about Craig Dawson?

For James read Craig also. Contracts work two ways, both sides have a commitment to fulfil their obligations and commitments.

And before anyone asks why then I haven’t posted this on the Craig Dawson thread also, that’s because I chose to post it here.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1618 on: July 10, 2018, 06:59:28 AM »
You're James McClean...

Unwanted by the vast majority of fans, deemed not good enough and not liked by the terraces. Add to that you've not really played much at all. Now you've got a year left on your contract and another club is firmly interested in you, so you're guaranteeing financial security for that little bit longer.

Factor all that in and this club is willing to pay £4m for your services, not bad given all of the above. Only the club who own you want £6m.

£6m for a player who is 'hated' by some fans, deemed not good enough by the club and has just one year left on his contract. The same player who was signed for £1.5m. Club being greedy in my opinion.

Would love to know who thinks McLean is worth more than £4m.

In my opinion the club are being unprofessional and he's followed suit.

Good post Scooby, and a fair assessment of the situation. Jacko's post is also relevant and very fair.

Like everyone else I do not like players withdrawing their labour etc, but it goes on in everyday life. I am currently being balloted for Industrial Action over pay etc - sometimes it takes robust action to get the employer to the table.

So to be clear I do not condone James' action, but perhaps there is something that we don't know that has exacerbated the situation, but if I were him, then a 50% reduction in salary, no guarantee of a starting place and a club who are playing hardball over a transfer fee would certainly rile me. 

MAGA!

kanu

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #1619 on: July 10, 2018, 07:16:08 AM »
Let’s face it, all this is good news. James Maclean is arguably the worst player I’ve ever had the misfortune to witness in an Albion shirt. He scores about 1 in 80 and very rarely assists. He can’t beat his full back, can’t pass and dives in to challenges that end up costing points, like Newcastle home, watford home & spurs away, there’s 6 points lost down to him, and there were more.
I’m delighted he’s refused to go to Scotland, it means he’ll force through the transfer which at one stage looked like it was off. £5m for him?? that’s a bigger joke than £12m for the overweight drug taker. So like I said this is good news, it’s something we should celebrate, he’s an awful awful footballer and we’re getting rid for a lot of money. This, by the way, is nothing to do with his political beliefs, he’s entitled to his views.

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1620 on: July 10, 2018, 08:51:57 AM »
This has nothing to do with Big Dave's ability to manage. This was going to happen no matter who was in charge. When you get relegated certain players will believe they are better than the club. Happens every season when teams go down. The fact these players have effectively gone on strike is down to them, NOT Big Dave. Do you really believe they would still want to be here if a different manager was in charge. They are too good for the Championship (In their own minds) and dont want to accept a 50% pay cut. I can understand their mentality that they want to make as much money as possible, but they have gone about this in totally the wrong way. Sh*t agents will be stirring things up behind the scenes, as they too will earn more money by getting a transfer for their players. We still believe that we are living in an age where loyalty counts, like your Robertsons, Wiles et al. But theres no loyalty now. Their entire careers are driven by money. The more SKY and BT Sport pump money into the greed league the worse it is going to get. We live in a different world now. I dont like it, but thats how it is now.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1621 on: July 10, 2018, 08:59:31 AM »
If the boot was on the other foot, and we wanted a player but were offering £2m under the asking price, I fear we would get the old "Typical tight Albion, why don't we just pay it if we want him. No ambition".
Yet here we are saying poor old James, he's had to go on strike because nasty old Albion want too much money.
Personally, i'd let him go for nothing, because he's rubbish, but if the club deems him worth £6m in the current climate, then that's what Stoke (or anyone else for that matter) has to pay, or negotiate a compromise. The players actions should have no influence.
Sick of the club being slated at every turn.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1622 on: July 10, 2018, 09:07:29 AM »
If the boot was on the other foot, and we wanted a player but were offering £2m under the asking price, I fear we would get the old "Typical tight Albion, why don't we just pay it if we want him. No ambition".
Yet here we are saying poor old James, he's had to go on strike because nasty old Albion want too much money.
Personally, i'd let him go for nothing, because he's rubbish, but if the club deems him worth £6m in the current climate, then that's what Stoke (or anyone else for that matter) has to pay, or negotiate a compromise. The players actions should have no influence.
Sick of the club being slated at every turn.

Understand what you are saying Seteefeet but the facts are simple; he wants to go, most of the fans want him to go, but the club seem to be holding out for £6m. Letting him go to a rival for nothing is not an option regardless on you assessment of his abilities. Personally I think his style will suit Stoke well.

I am sure that this will be resolved shortly, and once again the clayheads part with a lot of money for nothing........
MAGA!

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1623 on: July 10, 2018, 09:11:12 AM »
What a manager with any respect does in ensuring that three players out of an already thin squad do not refuse to obey orders?

Moore had plenty of respect last season.

The players have seen others (notably Evans, Odemwinge, Berahino) not get the moves they wanted.  They've had a 50% pay cut.  They've heard Jenkins say we don't need to sell anyone we don't want to.  And now they've seen refusing to travel work well for someone that wants out (Foster).  They are ensuring they get what they want - they're making their position untenable to force a move.  The club has created this environment not Moore.

Maybe their attitude would be different if they could see the club striving to bounce back to the PL at the first attempt, but our over-cautious approach to everything is just lowering expectations all round.  (Another Jenkins tactic.)

... and how do you stop a grown up, in our society from 'refusing to obey orders' anyhow?

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1624 on: July 10, 2018, 09:23:50 AM »
Really? So we now have a culture where if you don't get your own way and act like a spoilt child we stand back and admire? James McLean is a West Brom player the last time I checked. I guess the best way to endear yourself to the club and to get the move you want and show your a person of character is to not show up for work...Laughable.

I admire James McClean as a person first and foremost. A conclusion I have arrived at based on reading several riveting articles that all point too a remarkable person. I do not admire what he is doing now and nor have I said I do, what I do believe is that his actions are completely understandable.

Perhaps the best way for a business to endear themselves to future employees is to demand an unreasonable amount of compensation for a an employee with one year left on his contract who has been a bit part player and the disliked by the majority of stakeholders.